Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Are Dollar Stores Really Driving Grocers Out of Business?

"Cheri" > wrote in message
news
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> news
>>
>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> 5.198...
>>
>>> Friends of mine and I have said many times that we would not shop in
>>> a "dollar store" if they paid us to. They carry nothing but cheap
>>> crap, as well as a lot of out of date food products.

>> Dollar Tree doesn't sell expired food and not everything they sell is
>> crap, but IMO some is.

> No, they don't, and no it isn't. Just another story from somebody who
> doesn't shop there, doesn't know much about the store etc.

I do shop there and I have bought a few things that turned out to be crap.
But then you can find crap in almost any store. Some stores even sell
expensive crap.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" > wrote in message

> On 17-Dec-2018, "Cheri" > wrote:
>
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> news
>> >
>> > "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> > 5.198...

>> > Dollar Tree doesn't sell expired food and not everything they sell is
>> > crap, but IMO some is.

>> No, they don't, and no it isn't. Just another story from somebody who
>> doesn't shop there, doesn't know much about the store etc.

> I occasionally visit Dollar Tree for packing/mailing/paper items. When I
> have been there, I have looked at the food selection and mostly found it
> be the same stuff found in the "prepared meals" and canned goods aisles at
> the supermarket. Tubs of microwave spaghetti and Horml/Armou canned or
> shelf stable stuff. I feed my dog her medicine in a sardine each day, so
> have looled at the caned fish at $Tree; it is the same brands at roughly
> the
> same price as the supermarket sale price. Nothing to draw me back on a
> regular basis; but, food no worse than can be found somewhere in the
> supermarket.

Here, the selection varies from store to store. Some have froze, and
refrigerated foods. Some do not. I used to buy one brand of canned chili
that they sell. It was a bit watery for me but I had to avoid something or
other for a time. Can't remember now what it was but that didn't contain it.

I do buy foil pans there. They sell some that are smaller than in the other
store. What is crap though are the aluminum baking things. They are thin and
rust out quickly. I do buy those cookie sheets from time to time to put
under a potentially drippy pie or casserole but I don't bake right on them.
My friend got the muffin tins and they rusted quickly. I don't think most of
their school supplies are high quality.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message
news
> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message

>>> I've never seen fresh produce at a dollar store, regardless of the name
>>> on the storefront.

>> It's not as if I've taken a tour of the area's dollar stores
>> but the few I visited carried limited food. Because of something
>> mentioned here I'd checked out the refrigerated section and it
>> was slim pickings. Canned food and snack food, otherwise. Even
>> if it's a long walk, I would not want to lose weight eating only
>> what they had to offer.
>>
>> But they showed pictures of where the guy shopped and yes, there
>> was produce. Probably in California.
>>
>> nancy

> Well, I think there are Dollar General Stores, Dollar Tree Stores, and
> Family Dollar Stores. I believe the Dollar General Stores and Family
> Dollar Stores carry fresh produce, but then many things cost a lot more
> than a dollar there too. Our Dollar Tree does not carry fresh produce,
> lots of frozen veggies (never buy TJ Farms anything in veggies or fruit
> terrible quality) and canned veggies though.

I've been to Family Dollar and Dollar General. No fresh produce or
refrigerated stuff at either store I visited.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 12/17/2018 2:32 PM, Cheri wrote:

>>> It's not as if I've taken a tour of the area's dollar stores
>>> but the few I visited carried limited food. Because of something
>>> mentioned here I'd checked out the refrigerated section and it
>>> was slim pickings. Canned food and snack food, otherwise. Even
>>> if it's a long walk, I would not want to lose weight eating only
>>> what they had to offer.
>>>
>>> But they showed pictures of where the guy shopped and yes, there
>>> was produce. Probably in California.
>>>
>>> nancy

>> Well, I think there are Dollar General Stores, Dollar Tree Stores, and
>> Family Dollar Stores. I believe the Dollar General Stores and Family
>> Dollar Stores carry fresh produce, but then many things cost a lot more
>> than a dollar there too. Our Dollar Tree does not carry fresh produce,
>> lots of frozen veggies (never buy TJ Farms anything in veggies or fruit
>> terrible quality) and canned veggies though.
>>
>> Cheri

> There's a Family Dollar about 6 miles from my house. (No, not everything
> is a dollar and I believe Dollar Tree owns them now). They don't carry
> fresh anything. It's only in the last few years they started stocking
> frozen veggies (Pictsweet Farms brand) and the variety is very limited.
> They do stock a lot of canned vegetables. I have no problem buying canned
> beans for soup (Bush's is the brand I see most often). It's a good place
> to buy things like toilet paper, paper towels and laundry detergent. Name
> brands, cheaper than at the grocery store and much closer to boot.

Are the beans $1 per can? If so, I can get them cheaper at the grocery
store. Dollar Tree sells Libby's veggies for 79 cents a can but I can get
cheaper veggies at the grocery store.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
news

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
> news

>>> It's not as if I've taken a tour of the area's dollar stores
>>> but the few I visited carried limited food. Because of something
>>> mentioned here I'd checked out the refrigerated section and it
>>> was slim pickings. Canned food and snack food, otherwise. Even
>>> if it's a long walk, I would not want to lose weight eating only
>>> what they had to offer.
>>>
>>> But they showed pictures of where the guy shopped and yes, there
>>> was produce. Probably in California.
>>>
>>> nancy

>> Well, I think there are Dollar General Stores, Dollar Tree Stores, and
>> Family Dollar Stores. I believe the Dollar General Stores and Family
>> Dollar Stores carry fresh produce, but then many things cost a lot more
>> than a dollar there too. Our Dollar Tree does not carry fresh produce,
>> lots of frozen veggies (never buy TJ Farms anything in veggies or fruit
>> terrible quality) and canned veggies though.

> I've been to Family Dollar and Dollar General. No fresh produce or
> refrigerated stuff at either store I visited.

The Dollar General that I'm familiar with does. I have not been to a Family
Dollar Store.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 18, 2018 at 3:59:31 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

> I don't think most of
> their school supplies are high quality.

As a general rule, they're not.

Last year I was at Home Depot and Staples office supply store is right next
door. I was needing a box of #10 (business size) envelopes and thought I'll
pop in and buy a box. NO! A box of 40 Mead envelopes was $9.99 (gulp!) so
I passed on that purchase.

A day or two later I was at the Dollar Tree for something else and spied a
whole shelf of letter and business size Mead envelopes. Not only were they
a dollar per box, these were security envelopes, too! But their broad tip
black markers are junk as are their dry erase markers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/17/2018 5:39 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-12-17 4:23 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
>
>> There's a Family Dollar about 6 miles from my house.Â* (No, not
>> everything is a dollar and I believe Dollar Tree owns them now).Â* They
>> don't carry fresh anything.Â* It's only in the last few years they
>> started stocking frozen veggies (Pictsweet Farms brand) and the
>> variety is very limited.Â* They do stock a lot of canned vegetables.Â* I
>> have no problem buying canned beans for soup (Bush's is the brand I
>> see most often).Â* It's a good place to buy things like toilet paper,
>> paper towels and laundry detergent.Â* Name brands, cheaper than at the
>> grocery store and much closer to boot.

> I walked past a Dollar Store today. I guess inflation has hit. A sign on
> the front window said everything is $1.25.

I can't say I've ever seen a "dollar store" where everything in the
place only cost a dollar. Just like when I was growing up there were
stores referred to as "5 and Dime" but not everything cost only a nickel
or 10 cents. It's just a name, not a promise, people!

I DID buy a couple of 2019 wall calendars there this past week, those
*were* only $1.

As I said, I do buy toilet paper, paper towels and laundry detergent at
the Family Dollar. The same name brands I could find at the grocery
store but with a much lower mark-up. Not as far to drive, either.

I seriously doubt people shopping at Family Dollar for anything will
affect grocery stores in the Beaufort area. Nationwide? I couldn't say
with any certainty but I seriously doubt it.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/18/2018 5:12 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> Well, I think there are Dollar General Stores, Dollar Tree Stores,
>>> and Family Dollar Stores. I believe the Dollar General Stores and
>>> Family Dollar Stores carry fresh produce, but then many things cost a
>>> lot more than a dollar there too. Our Dollar Tree does not carry
>>> fresh produce, lots of frozen veggies (never buy TJ Farms anything in
>>> veggies or fruit terrible quality) and canned veggies though.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> There's a Family Dollar about 6 miles from my house.* (No, not
>> everything is a dollar and I believe Dollar Tree owns them now).* They
>> don't carry fresh anything.* It's only in the last few years they
>> started stocking frozen veggies (Pictsweet Farms brand) and the
>> variety is very limited. They do stock a lot of canned vegetables.* I
>> have no problem buying canned beans for soup (Bush's is the brand I
>> see most often).* It's a good place to buy things like toilet paper,
>> paper towels and laundry detergent.* Name brands, cheaper than at the
>> grocery store and much closer to boot.

> Are the beans $1 per can? If so, I can get them cheaper at the grocery
> store. Dollar Tree sells Libby's veggies for 79 cents a can but I can
> get cheaper veggies at the grocery store.

The canned beans (I use several types in my spicy five bean soup) are
around 79-89 cents per can. I didn't really bother to check the price
but I know they were under a dollar. Point is, it's close to home so I
didn't have to drive to town. They sell the same name brand canned
beans I could find at the grocery store. They also have their own store
brand. Just like the grocery store.

I don't go to Publix or Food Lion unless I have a fairly full shopping
list or want specific things that I know a dollar store wouldn't carry.

Deciding to make the bean soup was a spur of the moment thing. I
wouldn't drive all the way to the grocery store just to buy canned beans
to make soup. So I bought canned beans at the Family Dollar. The soup
was delicious!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/18/2018 5:09 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I've been to Family Dollar and Dollar General. No fresh produce or
> refrigerated stuff at either store I visited.

The FD near my house most certainly does *not* have fresh produce. But
they do have lots of refrigerated and frozen foods. And lots of canned
foods.

In the refrigerated section they have milk and eggs. I do buy those
items there when I don't have a larger list for the grocery store. I
always like to have a half a gallon of milk in the fridge. Ditto at
least a half a dozen eggs. FD is convenient and the prices are pretty
much the same at the grocery store.

The FD also stocks butter, margarine and packages of shredded or sliced
cheeses. Also refrigerated meats such as Hillshire Farms kielbasa or
Polish sausage, breakfast sausage, things like that. Just commenting on
your saying the ones you've been to didn't have refrigerated stuff. I
guess the Family Dollars are much different in Bothell.

I'm sure there are a lot of people who don't want to drive to the
grocery store just to pick up a few items. But the fact is, the FD near
my home stocks quite a lot of refrigerated items.

The frozen vegetable selection is very small. I buy those things at my
regular grocery store. It's not a matter of price so much as a matter
of selection.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 12/18/2018 5:12 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> There's a Family Dollar about 6 miles from my house. (No, not everything
>>> is a dollar and I believe Dollar Tree owns them now). They don't carry
>>> fresh anything. It's only in the last few years they started stocking
>>> frozen veggies (Pictsweet Farms brand) and the variety is very limited.
>>> They do stock a lot of canned vegetables. I have no problem buying
>>> canned beans for soup (Bush's is the brand I see most often). It's a
>>> good place to buy things like toilet paper, paper towels and laundry
>>> detergent. Name brands, cheaper than at the grocery store and much
>>> closer to boot.

>> Are the beans $1 per can? If so, I can get them cheaper at the grocery
>> store. Dollar Tree sells Libby's veggies for 79 cents a can but I can get
>> cheaper veggies at the grocery store.

> The canned beans (I use several types in my spicy five bean soup) are
> around 79-89 cents per can. I didn't really bother to check the price but
> I know they were under a dollar. Point is, it's close to home so I didn't
> have to drive to town. They sell the same name brand canned beans I could
> find at the grocery store. They also have their own store brand. Just
> like the grocery store.
>
> I don't go to Publix or Food Lion unless I have a fairly full shopping
> list or want specific things that I know a dollar store wouldn't carry.
>
> Deciding to make the bean soup was a spur of the moment thing. I wouldn't
> drive all the way to the grocery store just to buy canned beans to make
> soup. So I bought canned beans at the Family Dollar. The soup was
> delicious!

I miss Family Dollar. I wish we would get one here. My favorite product was
some socks for women/girls. White with pink toes and heels. They fit better
than any other socks we ever had. Angela had some for about 10 year. Yes,
they lasted that long!

I usually get the Winco brand beans. They are sometimes as cheap as 50some
cents. I did have a complaint for a time in that unlike other brands of
beans, there were less beans in the can and more liquid. Others must have
complained too. They put more beans in the can now. I keep a wide variety of
them and usually at least 6 cans of each type. We eat a lot of beans and I
tend to stock up when I do go to Winco because there are other stores closer
to me that I use when I only need a few things.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 12/17/2018 5:39 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2018-12-17 4:23 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> There's a Family Dollar about 6 miles from my house. (No, not everything
>>> is a dollar and I believe Dollar Tree owns them now). They don't carry
>>> fresh anything. It's only in the last few years they started stocking
>>> frozen veggies (Pictsweet Farms brand) and the variety is very limited.
>>> They do stock a lot of canned vegetables. I have no problem buying
>>> canned beans for soup (Bush's is the brand I see most often). It's a
>>> good place to buy things like toilet paper, paper towels and laundry
>>> detergent. Name brands, cheaper than at the grocery store and much
>>> closer to boot.

>> I walked past a Dollar Store today. I guess inflation has hit. A sign on
>> the front window said everything is $1.25.
>>

> I can't say I've ever seen a "dollar store" where everything in the place
> only cost a dollar. Just like when I was growing up there were stores
> referred to as "5 and Dime" but not everything cost only a nickel or 10
> cents. It's just a name, not a promise, people!
>
> I DID buy a couple of 2019 wall calendars there this past week, those
> *were* only $1.
>
> As I said, I do buy toilet paper, paper towels and laundry detergent at
> the Family Dollar. The same name brands I could find at the grocery store
> but with a much lower mark-up. Not as far to drive, either.
>
> I seriously doubt people shopping at Family Dollar for anything will
> affect grocery stores in the Beaufort area. Nationwide? I couldn't say
> with any certainty but I seriously doubt it.

I got a calendar at a small dollar store where one of Angela's friends
works. This store sells much of the same stuff as Dollar Tree and they also
have good smelling incense for 25 cents per stick. My calendar is a plain
one but I had gotten to the point of needing one and the Dollar Trees are
currently hard for me to get to. One has a TJ's moving in so there is a
current lack of parking. The closest one has a parking lot that is hard to
get in and out of due to construction and traffic. And my favorite one has a
road closed so I would have to go many miles out of my way to get there. The
others are just not in my flight path.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 4:18:32 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

> I miss Family Dollar. I wish we would get one here. My favorite product was
> some socks for women/girls. White with pink toes and heels. They fit better
> than any other socks we ever had. Angela had some for about 10 year. Yes,
> they lasted that long!

That sounds like the Hanes brand women's socks. Can be purchased at Walmart.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 4:18:32 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I miss Family Dollar. I wish we would get one here. My favorite product
>> was
>> some socks for women/girls. White with pink toes and heels. They fit
>> better
>> than any other socks we ever had. Angela had some for about 10 year. Yes,
>> they lasted that long!
>>

> That sounds like the Hanes brand women's socks. Can be purchased at
> Walmart.

Nope. Not Hanes. Didn't fit the same. I don't like Hanes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 9:04:03 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

> > wrote in message
> >
> > That sounds like the Hanes brand women's socks. Can be purchased at
> > Walmart.

> Nope. Not Hanes. Didn't fit the same. I don't like Hanes.

Ooooooooof course you don't.