Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default To Tip - Or Not?

On 12/9/2018 8:52 AM, graham wrote:
> On 2018-12-08 5:33 p.m., Hank Rogers wrote:
>> graham wrote:

>> My brother is in the southern baptist cult, and there is no way to
>> rescue him ... EVER. I wish I could.
>>

> My B-I-L's brother became a JW. Could that be worse?

I caught some of Leah Remini's expose on JH, wow I had no idea!

The same shunning if you leave or do something wrong like, say,
go to college (or send your kids) ... it's a horror show. I was
not into church but thank goodness my parent's religion isn't like
some of them.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-08 11:25 PM, wrote:
> On Saturday, December 8, 2018 at 8:02:28 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> Knowing that they are making minimum wage and expected to make it up it
>> tips, you stiff them on the tip if you is something displeases you about
>> the service?
>> This is an example of the sort of thing that makes me question the
>> tipping culture.
>>

> I stiffed a waitress on a tip once and not sorry I did. My friend and I
> were seated, we got coffee, ordered then another couple that the waitress
> knew well was seated. Was it a neighbor, relative, her preacher? I don't
> know but she was at their table, constantly refilling coffee cups, food was
> promptly brought out and we can't get her attention no matter what we did.
> Couple is just about finished with their meal and our food arrives absolutely
> stone cold. By the way, waitress had no other customers at that time.
>
> Cashier wanted to know if everything was ok. I was polite but told her exact-ly what transpired and how disappointed we were with the service. Cashier
> held our ticket aside to speak with the manager. Waitress is certainly not
> going to be rewarded for such **** poor service by me.

I don't blame you. I once left a small tip because the waitress was
flirting with the guy at the next table, who happened to be a friend of
mine. She was talking to him as she set my wife's order on the table and
spilled it. She should have been paying attention.

Then there was the snotty waiter in a seafood restaurant in Vancouver
who stiffed himself out of money. The bill had been over $60 (back in
the mid 80s) and he brought back more than $60 change. I had paid with a
Bank of America travellers cheque. He obviously assumed it was American
funds and had given me exchange. I tried to tell him three times. He
was rude the first time, ruder the second time and cut me off on my
third attempt to point out his error in my favour. The rudeness let to
a low tip and he was out more than $25 on the bill. I tried to do the
right thing for him and was treated with disdain for it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
>>> On Sat, 8 Dec 2018 18:30:34 -0500, Dave Smith

>>> It isn't here, tip comes before tax.
>>>

>> Really? And how do they do that? When you pay by debit machine they
>> enter the amount. They do not enter the food and drink total, let you
>> add the percentage tip and then add the tax.
>>
>> Do you think maybe you were wrong about that?

> I will examine it carefully next time!

Please do, because I am intrigued by the process that would be involved
in taking total that was entered into the machine, deducting the amount
of tax, which was never entered separately, calculating the percentage
tip on that amount, then adding that tip and the tax to get a new total.
Or..... you could just acknowledge that the machines calculate the
tip on the total amount, tax included.

I do not pay a tip on the taxes. If I used the % tip I will opt for the
15% and accept that it is actually closer to 17%.

FWIW... my managed a number of bars and restaurants for close to 10
years and considers 15% to be a good tip.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> I don't like the tip automatically to the bill. The waitstaff know they
>>> will receive a tip whether they are an attentive waiter or one who dis-
>>> appears after the food has been delivered.

>> I have had excellent service in non tipping countries, and I did not at
>> all miss the tip soliciting behaviour.

>>> I do not tip based on the total price; I tip on the amount of the bill before
>>> taxes are added.

>> Well, there is another one of those unwritten tipping rule questions.
>> Some people thing you should tip as a percentage on the total, tip
>> included. If you pay by debit here and opt for 15% it is on the total,
>> including the tax.
>>

> It isn't here, tip comes before tax.

There's a place on the ticket/guest check where you write in the tip
before you sign. It is *above* the tax amount so you're tipping on the
meal, not on the taxed total. I guess he hasn't looked at a guest check
lately.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message news:ddd123cf-9e39-4f67-9067-
> Tis the season for anger and resentment. Oh wait, you heathens don't
> believe in peace and goodwill towards men or even good and evil - it's all
> just "things."

=======

I believe in it, that's why my posts are at a minimum these past several
days. LOL

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-09 7:22 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Saturday, December 8, 2018 at 5:46:16 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
>> I remain perplexed by the attitudes that I see being expressed here.
>> People feel obliged to leave a tip that is based on a percentage of the
>> cost of their meal and drinks, some claiming to tip 30% or more, but
>> reject the suggestion that the price of service being included in the
>> meal. They prefer to pay a percentage of their bill as a voluntary
>> gratuity to having a smaller amount added to the menu price.

> Sorry? I believe I'm the only person here who claims to tip 30% or
> more. When have I ever said I was opposed to a decent wage for waitstaff?
>
> However, many places that have tried that have rescinded it due to complaints
> on the part of their employees, because it reduced their actual compensation.

I guess the reason they were unhappy was that their hourly rate was too
low. If there was a percentage that was added to the price, and it went
to the servers as a commission, it should work out about the same.
Servers would not have to rely on the generosity of their customers.
Some people do not tip at all, some are low tippers, and there is no
telling what exactly constitutes the level of service that justifies a
given percentage tip. Some people expect the servers to be waiting on
them hand and food. I want servers to bring my the menu, answer my
questions and bring me my food. I don't want them in my face all the time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 12/8/2018 5:08 PM, cshenk wrote:
>> Dave Smith wrote:
>>

>>> FWIW.... there are minimum wages for servers here. It is lower for
>>> those serving alcohol, but it currently $12.20 /hr here.

>> A waitress may only make 1.25 an hour and be expected to 'make of the
>> rest in tips' which she then has to split with the cook and bus boy
>> (cook and busboy make over minimum wage already).
>>

> Carol, FYI in Virginia the hourly wage for a waiter/waitress is $2.13.
>
> Jill

CA pays $9.00 per hour.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/7/2018 5:11 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> If I don't like the food or the serviceÂ* I am not likely to return
> anyway. A server should not have to be tipped for good service.
> Restaurant employees should be providing good service to ensure that
> customers return..... and their employers should be paying them
> enough.... and ensuring that they provide the service they are being
> paid to provide.

I don't think anyone disagrees that employers should be paying them
more, Dave. Until the laws are changed that's just the way things are.
Tips or no tips, providing good service part of the job description.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-09 8:54 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 12/8/2018 5:08 PM, cshenk wrote:
>> Dave Smith wrote:
>>

>>> FWIW.... there are minimum wages for servers here. It is lower for
>>> those serving alcohol, but it currently $12.20 /hr here.

>> A waitress may only make 1.25 an hour and be expected to 'make of the
>> rest in tips' which she then has to split with the cook and bus boy
>> (cook and busboy make over minimum wage already).
>>

> Carol, FYI in Virginia the hourly wage for a waiter/waitress is $2.13.

It is difficult to make judgements about what constitutes a decent tip
when situations vary from one jurisdiction to another. We realize that
the idea of tipping is that it helps to make up for a shitty hourly
wage. The low wage and expectation of tips encourages waiters to work
harder and to make the dining experience enjoyable.

That hourly pay varies a lot. While it is a measly $2.13 in VA, it is
$12.20 and hour here in Ontario. If restaurants have to raise their
prices to cover the higher wage, the diner is already paying more. Then
we are expected to pay another 15% or more on that already inflated price.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/7/2018 5:18 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-12-07 1:14 PM, Fruitiest of Fruitcakes wrote:
>

>> That doesnt seem simple, just cowardly.
>>
>> If I purchase items from a store and they end up being substandard I take
>> them back for a refund,
>>
>> Why must that not apply to catering outlets?

> You can't take back food that you have eaten. It could not be too bad if
> you ate it. Restaurants do sometimes bend over backwards to placate
> idiot customers. My nephew is a chef and when he was at one of the local
> winery restaurants one person sent back pate foie gras because she
> thought it was too fatty. Another sent back sweetbreads because she was
> a vegetarian and didn't know it was meat.

LOL on the sweetbreads!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/9/2018 10:03 AM, Cheri wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> A waitress may only make 1.25 an hour and be expected to 'make of the
>>> rest in tips' which she then has to split with the cook and bus boy
>>> (cook and busboy make over minimum wage already).
>>>

>> Carol, FYI in Virginia the hourly wage for a waiter/waitress is $2.13.
>>
>> Jill

> CA pays $9.00 per hour.
>
> Cheri

It does vary by state. I just checked, in CA it went up to $10.50 for
establishments with less than 25 employees. $11.00 an hour if they have
more than 25 employees. Of course California is an expensive state to
live in.

Both Virginia and South Carolina still only pay $2.13/hr. up to the
minimum *Federal wage* which is still stuck at $7.25/hour. If a tipped
employee doesn't earn enough in tips to make up the difference the
employer is expected to make up the difference, which amounts to $5.12/hour.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-09 9:44 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 12/8/2018 6:30 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> I don't like the tip automatically to the bill.Â* The waitstaff know they
>>> will receive a tip whether they are an attentive waiter or one who dis-
>>> appears after the food has been delivered.

>> I have had excellent service in non tipping countries, and I did not
>> at all miss the tip soliciting behaviour.
>>

> I can't say I've ever experienced "tip soliciting behaviour".Â* What does
> that even mean?Â* Being obsequious?Â* Nope, I can't say I've encountered
> that.

Are you kidding. It is no secret. Psychology today even wrote an
article about it. They noted that women who wear something in their hair
get more tips from men and women than those who do not. Waitress who
gently touch their customers on the shoulder, arm or hand get larger
tips. The customers who are touched tend to buy more drinks, offering
more opportunities for tips. Introducing themselves by name gets bigger
tips. They suggest setting up reciprocity. They do things like writing
a little note on the bill. If the food is late they tell you the chef
didn't think it was up to his standards so he did it over again. They
have done you a favour....so pay up. They repeat the orders, leading to
a sense of sameness, which will prompt you to tip more. At the bottom
of their list is offering good service.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> I have had excellent service in non tipping countries, and I did not at
>>> all miss the tip soliciting behaviour.

>>> Well, there is another one of those unwritten tipping rule questions.
>>> Some people thing you should tip as a percentage on the total, tip
>>> included.Â* If you pay by debit here and opt for 15% it is on the total,
>>> including the tax.
>>>

>> It isn't here, tip comes before tax.
>>

> There's a place on the ticket/guest check where you write in the tip
> before you sign.Â* It is *above* the tax amount so you're tipping on the
> meal, not on the taxed total.Â* I guess he hasn't looked at a guest check
> lately.

I was talking about paying the bill by debit card and using the option
to tip by percentage. If you use that, the percentage is based on the
total that was entered into the machine, which would include the tax.
That means that you are paying that percentage on the tax as well as the
food and drink. You can avoid that by calculating the amount of the tip
and entering that amount.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/9/2018 9:30 AM, GM wrote:

>>> My brother is in the southern baptist cult, and there is no way to
>>> rescue him ... EVER. I wish I could.
>>>

>> My B-I-L's brother became a JW. Could that be worse?

> The House of Our Lord is welcoming to *all*, graham...even non - believers such as yourself...

What is also nice, they will accept donations from everyone when the
basket is passed. No discrimination.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/9/2018 10:13 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

> That hourly pay varies a lot.Â* While it is a measly $2.13 in VA, it is
> $12.20 and hour here in Ontario. If restaurants have to raise their
> prices to cover the higher wage, the diner is already paying more. Then
> we are expected to pay another 15% or more on that already inflated price.

But do people tip the same knowing the server is getting a better wage?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-09 11:12 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> My B-I-L's brother became a JW. Could that be worse?

>> The House of Our Lord is welcoming to *all*, graham...even non -
>> believers such as yourself...
>>

> What is also nice, they will accept donations from everyone when the
> basket is passed. No discrimination.

Some people get a little too carried away with religion. I once worked
with a guy who had a bad case of it. He was ordained in at least a half
dozen different churches, some of which you could send away for the
papers. I was head of the social committee in the shop and when I went
around soliciting donations are Christmas he was the only person who
never gave a penny. However, when we organized the Christmas Eve
luncheon and other events he was always insisting on being the one to
say grace, which ended up more as a sermon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-09 11:15 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 12/9/2018 10:13 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>

>> That hourly pay varies a lot.Â* While it is a measly $2.13 in VA, it is
>> $12.20 and hour here in Ontario. If restaurants have to raise their
>> prices to cover the higher wage, the diner is already paying more.
>> Then we are expected to pay another 15% or more on that already
>> inflated price.
>>

> But do people tip the same knowing the server is getting a better wage?

Most likely. The standard around here seems to be 15-20%, just like the
places were the minimum is 1/5th as much.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 9 Dec 2018 04:37:41 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Saturday, December 8, 2018 at 9:06:19 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sat, 8 Dec 2018 21:02:28 -0500, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >Knowing that they are making minimum wage and expected to make it up it
>> >tips, you stiff them on the tip if you is something displeases you about
>> >the service?
>> >This is an example of the sort of thing that makes me question the
>> >tipping culture.

>> It's interesting that Lucretia has the right-wing view he Underpay
>> them and only if they please people enough, will they make enough to
>> live off.

>Every job is like that. If I don't please my employer, I'm out of a job.

That's no comparison. I bet you get a decent base salary.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> It's interesting that Lucretia has the right-wing view he Underpay
>>> them and only if they please people enough, will they make enough to
>>> live off.

>>Every job is like that. If I don't please my employer, I'm out of a job.
>>
>>Cindy Hamilton

>He tries to make it sound as if I want them to be ingratiating which
>is far from true. At my local pub which is my lunchtime favourite
>because of the excellent fish and chips and also the chowder, I pretty
>much know all the girls now, it's not about me but them, how their
>studies are going, whether they have exams coming in the next few
>weeks etc. I see nothing wrong with friendliness and a big smile.

You're changing the subject.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 9 Dec 2018 06:59:27 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"dsi1" > wrote in message news:ddd123cf-9e39-4f67-9067-
>> Tis the season for anger and resentment. Oh wait, you heathens don't
>> believe in peace and goodwill towards men or even good and evil - it's all
>> just "things."

>=======
>
>I believe in it, that's why my posts are at a minimum these past several
>days. LOL

Since this is the season to be friendly and you have trouble posting
in a friendly way, you don't say much this month. Did I summarize that
correctly?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Nancy Young wrote:

> On 12/9/2018 8:52 AM, graham wrote:
> > On 2018-12-08 5:33 p.m., Hank Rogers wrote:
> >> graham wrote:

> >> My brother is in the southern baptist cult, and there is no way to
> >> rescue him ... EVER. I wish I could.
> >>

> > My B-I-L's brother became a JW. Could that be worse?

> I caught some of Leah Remini's expose on JH, wow I had no idea!
>
> The same shunning if you leave or do something wrong like, say,
> go to college (or send your kids) ... it's a horror show. I was
> not into church but thank goodness my parent's religion isn't like
> some of them.

A pal was raised a Pentacostalist (sp?) - same kinda deal, and boy, NO FUN allowed, e.g. movies, music, dancing, etc....SHEESH...!!!

When she came out as *** her parents tried to have her committed (this was in the 60's), but she avoided that by running away...she has had a fine life since, but that upbringing was really toxic...

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Cheri wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message news:ddd123cf-9e39-4f67-9067-
> > Tis the season for anger and resentment. Oh wait, you heathens don't
> > believe in peace and goodwill towards men or even good and evil - it's all
> > just "things."

> =======
>
> I believe in it, that's why my posts are at a minimum these past several
> days. LOL

Good on ya, luv...!!!

;-)

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

dsi1 wrote:

> On Saturday, December 8, 2018 at 7:40:35 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> > On Sat, 8 Dec 2018 03:26:27 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > > wrote:

> > >Maybe. I can see it and readily delete it on my desktop browser. If
> > >dsi1 is using a mobile device, perhaps not. Although I think someone
> > >else here uses google groups on a mobile device occasionally, and that
> > >interface doesn't automatically quote at all, leaving us to wonder what
> > >the heck the context was.

> > On the one hand, GG seems to be made for the clueless user. But if you
> > want to use it well, you actually have to think a bit more than with a
> > normal news reader. See for instance the diarrhea posts of dsi1 and
> > Greg Someting (GM).

> Tis the season for anger and resentment. Oh wait, you heathens don't believe in peace and goodwill towards men or even good and evil - it's all just "things."

AND Brucie is such a big HELPLESS and USELESS --->>> ___PUSSY___ <<<--- that he can't even adjust his line wrap on his newsreader so as to properly read posts...no matter whether Goog or not...he is fact still clinging FEARFULLY behind his harried mum's skirts, so afraid is he of being a REAL man...

<chuckle>

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 9 Dec 2018 09:39:29 -0800 (PST), GM
> wrote:

>dsi1 wrote:
>
>> On Saturday, December 8, 2018 at 7:40:35 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> >
>> > On the one hand, GG seems to be made for the clueless user. But if you
>> > want to use it well, you actually have to think a bit more than with a
>> > normal news reader. See for instance the diarrhea posts of dsi1 and
>> > Greg Someting (GM).

>> Tis the season for anger and resentment. Oh wait, you heathens don't believe in peace and goodwill towards men or even good and evil - it's all just "things."

>AND Brucie is such a big HELPLESS and USELESS --->>> ___PUSSY___ <<<--- that he can't even adjust his line wrap on his newsreader so as to properly read posts...no matter whether Goog or not...he is fact still clinging FEARFULLY behind his harried mum's skirts, so afraid is he of being a REAL man...

You're an adult, aren't you? That's funny
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/9/2018 10:51 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> I have had excellent service in non tipping countries, and I did not
>>> at all miss the tip soliciting behaviour.
>>>

>> I can't say I've ever experienced "tip soliciting behaviour".Â* What
>> does that even mean?Â* Being obsequious?Â* Nope, I can't say I've
>> encountered that.

> Are you kidding.Â* It is no secret. Psychology today even wrote an
> article about it.

Uh... I don't actually care what Psychology Today has to say about it.
I'm basing this on my own experience.

> They noted that women who wear something in their hair
> get more tips from men and women than those who do not.

So... I'm supposed to think because someone wears a barrette or a flower
ornament in their hair they're schemeing to get more tips? How about
they're just keeping it pinned up out of the way?

> Waitress who
> gently touch their customers on the shoulder, arm or hand get larger
> tips. The customers who are touched tend to buy more drinks, offering
> more opportunities for tips.

I've never ever had a server touch me.

> Introducing themselves by name gets bigger
> tips.

That's company policy. They usually wear name tags, too.

> They suggest setting up reciprocity.Â* They do things like writing
> a little note on the bill.

I've never gotten little notes on my restaurant bills. Even if I did it
wouldn't induce me to tip more.

> If the food is late they tell you the chef
> didn't think it was up to his standards so he did it over again. They
> have done you a favour....so pay up.Â* They repeat the orders, leading to
> a sense of sameness, which will prompt you to tip more.Â* At the bottom
> of their list is offering good service.

Apparently we have dined in very different places.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/9/2018 11:15 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 12/9/2018 10:13 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>

>> That hourly pay varies a lot.Â* While it is a measly $2.13 in VA, it is
>> $12.20 and hour here in Ontario. If restaurants have to raise their
>> prices to cover the higher wage, the diner is already paying more.
>> Then we are expected to pay another 15% or more on that already
>> inflated price.
>>

> But do people tip the same knowing the server is getting a better wage?

They probably think oh, they're getting $12 an hour. No need to tip
them. BTW, the tipped wage for those who serve alcohol (no idea why
they get less than those who serve food or if that means they also serve
food) in Ontario is set to increase in January.

The base wage still hasn't changed in the US in many states. But the
restaurant owners are expected to make up the difference if they don't
earn that much in tips.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-09 12:49 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 12/9/2018 10:51 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> I can't say I've ever experienced "tip soliciting behaviour".Â* What
>>> does that even mean?Â* Being obsequious?Â* Nope, I can't say I've
>>> encountered that.

>> Are you kidding.Â* It is no secret. Psychology today even wrote an
>> article about it.

> Uh... I don't actually care what Psychology Today has to say about it.
> I'm basing this on my own experience.

It is a reputable periodical and there was research that led them to
these findings.

>> They noted that women who wear something in their hair get more tips
>> from men and women than those who do not.

> So... I'm supposed to think because someone wears a barrette or a flower
> ornament in their hair they're schemeing to get more tips?Â* How about
> they're just keeping it pinned up out of the way?

Hell no. You aren't supposed to think that. It would give away the
tricks of the trade.

>> Waitress who gently touch their customers on the shoulder, arm or hand
>> get larger tips. The customers who are touched tend to buy more
>> drinks, offering more opportunities for tips.

> I've never ever had a server touch me.

You haven't. I sure have.

>> Introducing themselves by name gets bigger tips.

> That's company policy.Â* They usually wear name tags, too.

Yes, and it gives them some sort of relationship with the customer .....
so they will be more likely to tip more.

>> They suggest setting up reciprocity.Â* They do things like writing a
>> little note on the bill.

> I've never gotten little notes on my restaurant bills.Â* Even if I did it
> wouldn't induce me to tip more.

Really????? You never got a bill with a hand written Thanks or Have A
Nice Day with the server's name and a happy face???? I have to go by
my experience, because I have seen it a lot.

Psychology Today is not the only source on tips for getting tips. There
are lots of them. Even Forbes has suggestions that include wearing make
up, standing close to customers, touching customers, squatting at the
table, smiling, complimenting their food selections,writing Thank You on
the cheques and drawing little pictures.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurash.../#2c6d7bc7d02b

>> If the food is late they tell you the chef didn't think it was up to
>> his standards so he did it over again. They have done you a
>> favour....so pay up.Â* They repeat the orders, leading to a sense of
>> sameness, which will prompt you to tip more.Â* At the bottom of their
>> list is offering good service.
>>

> Apparently we have dined in very different places.

It would seem more like different worlds When I get the routine about
the product not being good enough I assume it is BS. If I get the story
about the fish not being fresh enough for the chef's standards I
automatically translate that to them having got a deal on it because it
was old and it had got so bad they can't even try to foist it on a diner.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/9/2018 12:49 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 12/9/2018 10:51 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> Waitress who gently touch their customers on the shoulder, arm or hand
>> get larger tips. The customers who are touched tend to buy more
>> drinks, offering more opportunities for tips.

> I've never ever had a server touch me.

Nor have I. It wouldn't make me give a big tip - quite the opposite! I
don't want strangers touching me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" wrote in message ...

On 12/9/2018 12:49 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 12/9/2018 10:51 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> Waitress who gently touch their customers on the shoulder, arm or hand
>> get larger tips. The customers who are touched tend to buy more
>> drinks, offering more opportunities for tips.

> I've never ever had a server touch me.

Nor have I. It wouldn't make me give a big tip - quite the opposite! I
don't want strangers touching me.

==

Too damned right!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-09 7:30 a.m., GM wrote:
> graham wrote:

>>> It may be a delusion to you, or to me. It is a very real thing to the
>>> followers, and you can't get them off the jeasus brainwash.
>>>
>>> My brother is in the southern baptist cult, and there is no way to
>>> rescue him ... EVER. I wish I could.
>>>

>> My B-I-L's brother became a JW. Could that be worse?

> The House of Our Lord is welcoming to *all*, graham...even non - believers such as yourself...

Well, Greg, I prefer to live in the real world.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-09 12:53 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 12/9/2018 11:15 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>> But do people tip the same knowing the server is getting a better wage?

> They probably think oh, they're getting $12 an hour.Â* No need to tip
> them.Â* BTW, the tipped wage for those who serve alcohol (no idea why
> they get less than those who serve food or if that means they also serve
> food) in Ontario is set to increase in January.

The reason that those serving alcohol is less is that they are expected
to get tips and tips on alcohol sales tend to be a lot higher than they
are on food. I guess drinkers are under the impression that they have to
give a good tip or the server won't be coming around when they want a
fresh drink, or that they might get cut off sooner if they don't tip.

BTW..... that January increase may not happen. The previous Liberal
government had arranged to increase the minimum wage in two steps.
They had already raised it over a dollar per hour and it would have been
too onerous on employers to absorb that in a short period. As it turned
out, a lot of part time and minimum wage jobs disappeared because
employers could not afford it. Then there was the politics. They knew
that the Conservatives were opposed to that big a hike. Workers were
made aware of the Conservatives plan to cancel that second stage so they
had better vote Liberal if they wanted that raise. It didn't work. The
Liberals were trounced in the election. They now call them the Minivan
Party because they only won 7 seats. They lost official party status.
The raise has been postponed by almost three years.

> The base wage still hasn't changed in the US in many states.Â* But the
> restaurant owners are expected to make up the difference if they don't
> earn that much in tips.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/9/2018 12:49 PM, jmcquown wrote:

>> They suggest setting up reciprocity.Â* They do things like writing a
>> little note on the bill.

> I've never gotten little notes on my restaurant bills.Â* Even if I did it
> wouldn't induce me to tip more.

I've gotten a hand written "thank you" or a smiley face a couple of
times. Would not induce me to add an extra 20% buy if you feel good
about the service aI may round up a little more.