Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Oxtail Soup/Stew

On 12/4/2018 9:52 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-12-04 9:15 p.m., Cheri wrote:
>> "U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
>>> my problem is that I began making this soup when oxtails were
>>> practically free.* So the $6.99/# shocks me :-(

>> Sort of like the chicken wing thing.
>>

> At least chicken wing have meat on them and are easy to cook.* I have
> seen packages of four oxtail pieces* where there wasn't more than a
> couple forkfuls of meat in the the whole pack.

You're not finding the right kinds of oxtails. Too bad your Dutch
butcher isn't still around. Heh.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-04 10:53 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 12/4/2018 9:52 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>
>> At least chicken wing have meat on them and are easy to cook.* I have
>> seen packages of four oxtail pieces* where there wasn't more than a
>> couple forkfuls of meat in the the whole pack.

> You're not finding the right kinds of oxtails.* Too bad your Dutch
> butcher isn't still around.* Heh.

I do occasionally see meatier oxtails and on sale. I do miss the Dutch
butcher. I used to occasionally get good deals on oxtails from him. I
also miss his bacon. I was hoping that his son was going to open a
retail outlet for his new meat curing business.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-04 4:38 p.m., Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-12-04 5:12 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Flank steak and chicken wings used to be dirt cheap and beef bones
>> were free.Â* I paid $6.99/lb but the three tails are nice and meaty.
>> I'll get several meals (which I can freeze) out of the oxtail stew.
>>

> I am very picky when it comes to oxtails. They have to be on sale cheap,
> and there has to be a lot of meat on the bones. It is bad enough to be
> charged steak prices for a cut of meat that requires so much work to
> make it tender and tasty, but I especially dislike paying that much for
> bones.

But then, why is stewing beef so expensive? It may be very lean but it
is meat from the shin and tough as blazes!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-05 1:28 AM, graham wrote:
> On 2018-12-04 4:38 p.m., Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2018-12-04 5:12 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> Flank steak and chicken wings used to be dirt cheap and beef bones
>>> were free.Â* I paid $6.99/lb but the three tails are nice and meaty.
>>> I'll get several meals (which I can freeze) out of the oxtail stew.
>>>

>> I am very picky when it comes to oxtails. They have to be on sale
>> cheap, and there has to be a lot of meat on the bones. It is bad
>> enough to be charged steak prices for a cut of meat that requires so
>> much work to make it tender and tasty, but I especially dislike paying
>> that much for bones.
>>

> But then, why is stewing beef so expensive? It may be very lean but it
> is meat from the shin and tough as blazes!

It is tricky to cook but it can be delicious. Low and slow cooking with
the right ingredients can produce a really great stew. I watch the
price on that stuff too. I am not going to spend near steak prices for
something that takes hours to cook and needs a lot of extras.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
>> On 12/4/2018 3:59 PM, wrote:
>>> On Tue, 4 Dec 2018 11:38:26 -0500, Dave Smith

>>> There's really no reason to saute the veggies first, I first brown the
>>> meat and then add the veggies, could pull out the meat but I just push
>>> it to the side... makes for one less bowl to wash. For braising there
>>> really is no reason to saute the veggies, they cook well during
>>> braising.
>>>

>> I get what you're saying. Brown the meat then saute the vegetables in
>> the fat from browning the meat. They do need to be cooked a bit first
>> rather than just dumping them raw in the pot with the meat and liquid.
>>
>> Jill

The veggies cook while sauteing in the fat from the meat, and cook
some more during the braising, I prefer the veggies to retain their
shape and not cook to mush so I tend to dice them larger than finely
chopped.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 4 Dec 2018 23:28:01 -0700, graham > wrote:

>On 2018-12-04 4:38 p.m., Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2018-12-04 5:12 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> Flank steak and chicken wings used to be dirt cheap and beef bones
>>> were free.* I paid $6.99/lb but the three tails are nice and meaty.
>>> I'll get several meals (which I can freeze) out of the oxtail stew.
>>>

>> I am very picky when it comes to oxtails. They have to be on sale cheap,
>> and there has to be a lot of meat on the bones. It is bad enough to be
>> charged steak prices for a cut of meat that requires so much work to
>> make it tender and tasty, but I especially dislike paying that much for
>> bones.
>>

>But then, why is stewing beef so expensive? It may be very lean but it
>is meat from the shin and tough as blazes!

Stewing beef is only tough and expensive when one is too lazy to cut
their own... buy a roast whatever cut you like when on sale and cut it
up yourself... and then you won't be stewing mystery meat... stew meat
is always a blend of trimmings and scraps, they don't hack up a nice
looking roast. Stew meat is made from that which if wraped as a roast
would be so ugli/repulsive no one would buy it... the same type of
waste is made into ground; gristle, silver skin, and all. The price
is high because you are paying for the butcher's extra knife labor.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 12/4/2018 6:30 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:
> >
> > > I bought some oxtails yesterday. Even though winter weather isn't
> > > really upon us in southern SC, I love oxtail soup.
> > >
> > > I've made it many times before but I'm just wondering if you have
> > > a particular tried and true recipe you adore. If so, please
> > > share it!
> > >
> > > Jill

> > Hi Jill, lots of ways to make them but they work well IMHO with a
> > long slow simmer. Oddly, a crockpot doesnt work as well this time
> > and not sure why. Perhaps too high a simmer?
> >

> I don't use a crockpot for this but thanks for the comment. I could
> use mine set on low since it has a good temperature control but I
> tend to make this on the stovetop. Low simmer.

Same here. This time I skip the crockpot.

> > I am more familar with them served in a clear (or mostly clear) deep
> > colored broth. If there were vegetables, they were ones that kept a
> > distinct shape (carrots, leek shreds, might be some late added waxy
> > potato bits or last minute added frozen or fresh peapods or peas).
> >

> Asian stuff.

Not really except for the peapods.

> > When I make them at home, I try to replicate that. Area encoutered
> > may not mean authentic to place but was Singapore and later,
> > Brisbane.
> >
> > I googled and clear oxtail soup seems fairly common. Germany and
> > Philipennes come up real often.
> >

> You're all about the Japanese/Asian style foods. Not exactly what I
> had in mind in terms of oxtail stew, but thanks for your input!

Welcome! It's more a German thing to make a clear type, that then
traveled west.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 4, 2018 at 5:24:26 AM UTC-10, Jill McQuown wrote:
> I bought some oxtails yesterday. Even though winter weather isn't
> really upon us in southern SC, I love oxtail soup.
>
> I've made it many times before but I'm just wondering if you have a
> particular tried and true recipe you adore. If so, please share it!
>
> Jill

Oxtail soup is a popular dish in Hawaii. This is probably due to the large number of dirt poor plantation worker-stock that most of us come from. They could only afford the rubbish parts of the cow. I never had much of a taste for it but my son does. The soup as served here has its origins from China.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPla9cgUZHs

oxtail stew [email protected] General Cooking 30 11-01-2018 10:54 PM
Oxtail Stew Tim Recipes 1 05-09-2011 10:04 PM
Oxtail stew recipe? KenK General Cooking 14 13-02-2011 12:36 AM
Jamaican oxtail stew ImStillMags General Cooking 9 04-02-2011 06:50 PM