Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Parents for school lunch

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ts/2144161002/

>>Lunchtime is where your cliques are formed. You'll be forever cast
>>away as "that kid eats with his mom" and be ignored and mocked until
>>you can start college in another state. By that time you're already
>>a homely wreck and unable to socialize normally.
>>
>>ObFood: Pussies eat sashimi. Real men eat pickled herring.

>Never knew that... and I've been gorging on pickled herring all my
>life; matjes and schmaltz are favs but I like them all... chopped
>herring on a bialy is another fav.

Dutch new herring is the best herring. I feel sorry for all of you
who've never had it:

<https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollandse_Nieuwe#/media/File:Haring_03.jpg>

Onions optional.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/1/2018 6:36 PM, Bruce wrote:

> Dutch new herring is the best herring. I feel sorry for all of you
> who've never had it:
>
> <https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollandse_Nieuwe#/media/File:Haring_03.jpg>
>
> Onions optional.

Do they still have the herring stands scattered around Amsterdam? I've
watched people buy and eat that stuff, but couldn't force myself to try it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 1 Dec 2018 19:16:21 -0500, S Viemeister
> wrote:

>On 12/1/2018 6:36 PM, Bruce wrote:
>
>> Dutch new herring is the best herring. I feel sorry for all of you
>> who've never had it:
>>
>> <https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollandse_Nieuwe#/media/File:Haring_03.jpg>
>>
>> Onions optional.
>>

>Do they still have the herring stands scattered around Amsterdam? I've
>watched people buy and eat that stuff, but couldn't force myself to try it.

Yes, those stands are everywhere. Dutch "cuisine" doesn't amount to
much, but I do miss those new herrings in Australia.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Jinx the Minx
> wrote:

> You can even buy milk in a bag here in the Midwest US, although it isnıt
> prolifically available in all stores. The gas station up the street still
> sells it. Several years ago it was a ³thing², but itıs mostly fallen out
> of favor.

Some clever person probably figured out how to stiffen the bag into a
jug ;-)

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 1 Dec 2018 19:16:21 -0500, S Viemeister wrote:

> On 12/1/2018 6:36 PM, Bruce wrote:
>
>> Dutch new herring is the best herring. I feel sorry for all of you
>> who've never had it:
>>
>> <https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollandse_Nieuwe#/media/File:Haring_03.jpg>
>>
>> Onions optional.
>>

> Do they still have the herring stands scattered around Amsterdam?

Bruce goes there every year. He can't ever stop talking about it
every time he comes back.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 2 Dec 2018 19:46:00 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sat, 1 Dec 2018 19:16:21 -0500, S Viemeister wrote:
>
>> On 12/1/2018 6:36 PM, Bruce wrote:
>>
>>> Dutch new herring is the best herring. I feel sorry for all of you
>>> who've never had it:
>>>
>>> <https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollandse_Nieuwe#/media/File:Haring_03.jpg>
>>>
>>> Onions optional.
>>>

>> Do they still have the herring stands scattered around Amsterdam?

>Bruce goes there every year. He can't ever stop talking about it
>every time he comes back.

Lolwhut? The last time I was in Amsterdam was in 1999 or so, but
herring stands are everywhere, not just in Amsterdam.