Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sharing with Amazon

On Sun, 2 Dec 2018 11:30:28 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 12/2/2018 10:24 AM, wrote:
>
>> The one I don't understand is the
>> furnace, a cast iron boiler should last two life times... it will
>> probably need electricals replaced and the fire box but a cast iron
>> boiler should last a very long time.

>It will last longer than you want it too. If you have a 30 or more years
>older boiler, it may be time to replace it no matter how good you think
>it is.
>
>I replaced mine that was 33 years old. The new one is saving me 38% in
>oil compared to the old one. I was able to take advantage of a state
>energy program that gave 0% financing too so I never put a penny out of
>pocket, the savings in oil paid for it in 6 years. Now the savings goes
>into my pocket.
>
>As for the savings, I tracked oil use and degree days. I kept records
>at each fill and then had them verified by Energy Kinetics, the boiler
>maker.

Too bad you couldn't wait a few more years on the old boiler becasue I
doubt you will be taking the new one to Florida.
Within a week after moving here I had the oil fired boiler converted
to propane. The boiler is a commercial style so will out live me but
the propane conversion saves about 30% over oil... was worth it just
to eliminate the oil fumes and money spent on cleanings/tune-ups.

We converted to propane anyway because we brought our then fairly new
GE Profile gas stove with us, the people here cooked with electric and
I was not about to. On LI we cooked with natural gas but as a new
customer the propane company fitted us with a 500 gallon tank, did the
boiler conversion, converted the stove to propane and ran a gas line
outside for the Weber, all at no charge. Later on they installed the
tankless on demand water heater, and the two ventless gas heaters, we
only had to pay for the units, nothing for installation. With
everything on propane they still make out well. The last people here
heated with wood and had oil as back up if the fire went out, he
boasted that he got by on 7 gallons that year.
Shortly after they moved (only 10 miles south) he developed a severe
respiratory disease and passed away in two years at age 68. His wife
said it was mainly pollution from the wood stove that did him in, plus
he farmed here, the crop dusting didn't help and like most others here
he was too macho to use a respirator. My tractor has a cab
with s cabin filter and A/C but I still wear a respirator when I mow,
pollen and dust still sneaks in.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, December 1, 2018 at 10:21:57 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Saturday, December 1, 2018 at 12:45:36 AM UTC-6, Cheri wrote:
> >
> > > wrote in message news:c6d9f769-6cc9-4930-9439-
> >
> > > Nope, nope, nope. Wilderness camping is about as appealing to me as
> > > swimming
> > > with great white sharks or chasing skunks. 'Camping' and roughing it for
> > > me
> > > is done in a motorhome.

> > We did so much camping as kids because it was a cheaper form of
> > entertainment and we lived close to the Umpqua River, but I absolutely hate
> > it. I can do a motorhome, but I prefer a nice cabin.
> >
> > Cheri
> >

> We never got to camp as kids but if there is no motorhome available then
> it needs to be a nice motel to get me out of the house. Never stayed in
> a cabin but if it has all the amenities then I'm game.

My wife's mom died in a car crash in Montana so for a while the 7 kids were taken in by their aunt. My father-in-law was going to dole the kids out to various relatives but his sister insisted that they be kept together. That was nice of her.

The aunt once took them camping at a national park and the brothers met an old guy who was taking photographs at the park. They introduced him to their aunt and according to my brother-in-laws, he took a fancy to her. He gifted her with a picture of herself dancing with a bear.

My guess is that there was something going on that the brothers never were aware of. As explained in a letter, requesting to get this family picture back, the brothers later found out the photographer was a Mr. A. Adams. I have not seen this photo nor how it was created but my guess is that this guy was a master technician in the darkroom. Beats me where the photo is but I've requested that my sister-in-law transcribe the letter so I can have a copy. It's a hoot!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 2 Dec 2018 09:57:05 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 02 Dec 2018 08:56:01 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>On Sun, 02 Dec 2018 11:31:38 -0400, wrote:
>>>
>>>snip

>>>If they hadn't changed the headstone out some yahoo would've pulled up
>>>the original and put it on the wall of his game room as a dart target

>> We got the impression from the pub owner that the town changed it out
>> because it seemed too humble and not showy enough

>I was just looking it up out of curiousity and it said that the original
>wood marker was destroyed by souvenir hunters, replaced by several stone
>markers that were also destroyed that way.
>
>Cheri

http://www.mygenealogyhound.com/vint...ic-photo.html#

The one in the pub looked genuine (to us anyway) and the wood looked
old, the woman who owned the pub had many other curiosities she showed
us because we were interested and I think she believed it to be true,
but who knows
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Saturday, December 1, 2018 at 12:45:36 AM UTC-6, Cheri wrote:
> >
> > > wrote in message
> >
> > > Nope, nope, nope. Wilderness camping is about as appealing to me as
> > > swimming
> > > with great white sharks or chasing skunks. 'Camping' and roughing it
> > > for
> > > me
> > > is done in a motorhome.

> > We did so much camping as kids because it was a cheaper form of
> > entertainment and we lived close to the Umpqua River, but I absolutely
> > hate
> > it. I can do a motorhome, but I prefer a nice cabin.
> >
> > Cheri
> >

> We never got to camp as kids but if there is no motorhome available then
> it needs to be a nice motel to get me out of the house. Never stayed in
> a cabin but if it has all the amenities then I'm game.

My wife's mom died in a car crash in Montana so for a while the 7 kids were
taken in by their aunt. My father-in-law was going to dole the kids out to
various relatives but his sister insisted that they be kept together. That
was nice of her.

The aunt once took them camping at a national park and the brothers met an
old guy who was taking photographs at the park. They introduced him to their
aunt and according to my brother-in-laws, he took a fancy to her. He gifted
her with a picture of herself dancing with a bear.

My guess is that there was something going on that the brothers never were
aware of. As explained in a letter, requesting to get this family picture
back, the brothers later found out the photographer was a Mr. A. Adams. I
have not seen this photo nor how it was created but my guess is that this
guy was a master technician in the darkroom. Beats me where the photo is but
I've requested that my sister-in-law transcribe the letter so I can have a
copy. It's a hoot!

===

Wow a photograph by Ansel Adams, that is something to have.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sun, 2 Dec 2018 09:57:05 -0800, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
> wrote in message
. ..

>>> We got the impression from the pub owner that the town changed it out
>>> because it seemed too humble and not showy enough

>>I was just looking it up out of curiousity and it said that the original
>>wood marker was destroyed by souvenir hunters, replaced by several stone
>>markers that were also destroyed that way.
>>
>>Cheri

http://www.mygenealogyhound.com/vint...ic-photo.html#

> The one in the pub looked genuine (to us anyway) and the wood looked
> old, the woman who owned the pub had many other curiosities she showed
> us because we were interested and I think she believed it to be true,
> but who knows

Truly, who knows.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 2, 2018 at 11:31:42 AM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:
> "dsi1" <dsi1> wrote in message
> On Saturday, December 1, 2018 at 10:21:57 AM UTC-10,
> wrote:

> > > We did so much camping as kids because it was a cheaper form of
> > > entertainment and we lived close to the Umpqua River, but I absolutely
> > > hate
> > > it. I can do a motorhome, but I prefer a nice cabin.
> > >
> > > Cheri
> > >

> > We never got to camp as kids but if there is no motorhome available then
> > it needs to be a nice motel to get me out of the house. Never stayed in
> > a cabin but if it has all the amenities then I'm game.

> My wife's mom died in a car crash in Montana so for a while the 7 kids were
> taken in by their aunt. My father-in-law was going to dole the kids out to
> various relatives but his sister insisted that they be kept together. That
> was nice of her.
>
> The aunt once took them camping at a national park and the brothers met an
> old guy who was taking photographs at the park. They introduced him to their
> aunt and according to my brother-in-laws, he took a fancy to her. He gifted
> her with a picture of herself dancing with a bear.
>
> My guess is that there was something going on that the brothers never were
> aware of. As explained in a letter, requesting to get this family picture
> back, the brothers later found out the photographer was a Mr. A. Adams. I
> have not seen this photo nor how it was created but my guess is that this
> guy was a master technician in the darkroom. Beats me where the photo is but
> I've requested that my sister-in-law transcribe the letter so I can have a
> copy. It's a hoot!
>
> ===
>
> Wow a photograph by Ansel Adams, that is something to have.
>
> Cheri

It's not one of those boring landscapes that he did either. This leads me to believe that he did other composited photographs but I've never seen any of those or of a whimsical nature. That's a bit troubling. I'll have to ask my sister-in-law about that letter. It's a pretty good letter.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
On Sunday, December 2, 2018 at 11:31:42 AM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:
> "dsi1" <dsi1> wrote in message
> On Saturday, December 1, 2018 at 10:21:57 AM UTC-10,
> wrote:

> > > We did so much camping as kids because it was a cheaper form of
> > > entertainment and we lived close to the Umpqua River, but I absolutely
> > > hate
> > > it. I can do a motorhome, but I prefer a nice cabin.
> > >
> > > Cheri
> > >

> > We never got to camp as kids but if there is no motorhome available then
> > it needs to be a nice motel to get me out of the house. Never stayed in
> > a cabin but if it has all the amenities then I'm game.

> My wife's mom died in a car crash in Montana so for a while the 7 kids
> were
> taken in by their aunt. My father-in-law was going to dole the kids out to
> various relatives but his sister insisted that they be kept together. That
> was nice of her.
>
> The aunt once took them camping at a national park and the brothers met an
> old guy who was taking photographs at the park. They introduced him to
> their
> aunt and according to my brother-in-laws, he took a fancy to her. He
> gifted
> her with a picture of herself dancing with a bear.
>
> My guess is that there was something going on that the brothers never were
> aware of. As explained in a letter, requesting to get this family picture
> back, the brothers later found out the photographer was a Mr. A. Adams. I
> have not seen this photo nor how it was created but my guess is that this
> guy was a master technician in the darkroom. Beats me where the photo is
> but
> I've requested that my sister-in-law transcribe the letter so I can have a
> copy. It's a hoot!
>
> ===
>
> Wow a photograph by Ansel Adams, that is something to have.
>
> Cheri

It's not one of those boring landscapes that he did either. This leads me to
believe that he did other composited photographs but I've never seen any of
those or of a whimsical nature. That's a bit troubling. I'll have to ask my
sister-in-law about that letter. It's a pretty good letter.

=====

Definitely of much worth to your family with the memories etc. If you find
the photo or obtain a copy please post it. I love old photos.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 2, 2018 at 12:20:26 PM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:
> "dsi1" <dsi1> wrote in message
> On Sunday, December 2, 2018 at 11:31:42 AM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:
> > "dsi1" <dsi1> wrote in message
> > On Saturday, December 1, 2018 at 10:21:57 AM UTC-10,
> > wrote:

> > > We never got to camp as kids but if there is no motorhome available then
> > > it needs to be a nice motel to get me out of the house. Never stayed in
> > > a cabin but if it has all the amenities then I'm game.

> > My wife's mom died in a car crash in Montana so for a while the 7 kids
> > were
> > taken in by their aunt. My father-in-law was going to dole the kids out to
> > various relatives but his sister insisted that they be kept together. That
> > was nice of her.
> >
> > The aunt once took them camping at a national park and the brothers met an
> > old guy who was taking photographs at the park. They introduced him to
> > their
> > aunt and according to my brother-in-laws, he took a fancy to her. He
> > gifted
> > her with a picture of herself dancing with a bear.
> >
> > My guess is that there was something going on that the brothers never were
> > aware of. As explained in a letter, requesting to get this family picture
> > back, the brothers later found out the photographer was a Mr. A. Adams. I
> > have not seen this photo nor how it was created but my guess is that this
> > guy was a master technician in the darkroom. Beats me where the photo is
> > but
> > I've requested that my sister-in-law transcribe the letter so I can have a
> > copy. It's a hoot!
> >
> > ===
> >
> > Wow a photograph by Ansel Adams, that is something to have.
> >
> > Cheri

> It's not one of those boring landscapes that he did either. This leads me to
> believe that he did other composited photographs but I've never seen any of
> those or of a whimsical nature. That's a bit troubling. I'll have to ask my
> sister-in-law about that letter. It's a pretty good letter.
>
> =====
>
> Definitely of much worth to your family with the memories etc. If you find
> the photo or obtain a copy please post it. I love old photos.
>
> Cheri

Hopefully, I'll be able to get the facts/details from my sister-in-law. A copy of the picture would be nice but I'm not holding my breath.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Sunday, December 2, 2018 at 12:20:26 PM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:
>> "dsi1" <dsi1> wrote in message
>> On Sunday, December 2, 2018 at 11:31:42 AM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:
>> > "dsi1" <dsi1> wrote in message

>> > My wife's mom died in a car crash in Montana so for a while the 7 kids
>> > were
>> > taken in by their aunt. My father-in-law was going to dole the kids out
>> > various relatives but his sister insisted that they be kept together.
>> > That
>> > was nice of her.
>> >
>> > The aunt once took them camping at a national park and the brothers met
>> > an
>> > old guy who was taking photographs at the park. They introduced him to
>> > their
>> > aunt and according to my brother-in-laws, he took a fancy to her. He
>> > gifted
>> > her with a picture of herself dancing with a bear.
>> >
>> > My guess is that there was something going on that the brothers never
>> > were
>> > aware of. As explained in a letter, requesting to get this family
>> > picture
>> > back, the brothers later found out the photographer was a Mr. A. Adams.
>> > have not seen this photo nor how it was created but my guess is that
>> > this
>> > guy was a master technician in the darkroom. Beats me where the photo
>> > is
>> > but
>> > I've requested that my sister-in-law transcribe the letter so I can
>> > have a
>> > copy. It's a hoot!
>> >
>> > ===
>> >
>> > Wow a photograph by Ansel Adams, that is something to have.
>> >
>> > Cheri

>> It's not one of those boring landscapes that he did either. This leads me
>> believe that he did other composited photographs but I've never seen any
>> of
>> those or of a whimsical nature. That's a bit troubling. I'll have to ask
>> my
>> sister-in-law about that letter. It's a pretty good letter.
>>
>> =====
>>
>> Definitely of much worth to your family with the memories etc. If you
>> find
>> the photo or obtain a copy please post it. I love old photos.
>>
>> Cheri

> Hopefully, I'll be able to get the facts/details from my sister-in-law. A
> copy of the picture would be nice but I'm not holding my breath.

=====

Yeah, some of that stuff is hard to get, but if you do, please post. It
would be very interesting to hear about and see.

Cheri