Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default PERSIAN SPICE - golpar

On Monday, July 21, 1997 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, rdeh wrote:
> I am trying to find out the uses of the Persian/Iranian spice (golpar)
> in Persian cookery.
>
> Golpar is the Persian name for the dried fruits of the plant heracleum
> maantegazzianum.
>
> In a Ms Batmanglij's book "Persian Cooking for a Healthy Kitchen, she
> apparently discusses how "to use Persian spices like golpar (powdered
> angelica seeds)" [sic]
>
> Any response would be much appreciated.
>
> R Harris

Hi,
We use Golpar on pomegranate seeds, in pickled vegetable, It's also added to cooked Lima Beans and baked potato.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On Monday, July 21, 1997 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, rdeh wrote:
> > I am trying to find out the uses of the Persian/Iranian spice (golpar)
> > in Persian cookery.
> >
> > Golpar is the Persian name for the dried fruits of the plant heracleum
> > maantegazzianum.

No, it isn't. Golpar is the seed of heracleum persicum.

Heracleum mantegazzanium (called giant hogweed in UK) is a toxic and
dangerous invasive species.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heracleum_mantegazzianum

"The sap of giant hogweed is phototoxic and causes
phytophotodermatitis in humans, resulting in blisters and scars. These
serious reactions are due to the furocoumarin derivatives in the leaves,
roots, stems, flowers, and seeds of the plant. Consequently, it is
considered to be a noxious weed in many jurisdictions. "

Janet UK

PERSIAN SPICE - golpar [email protected] General Cooking 0 17-08-2014 09:53 PM
Persian Rice. James Silverton[_4_] General Cooking 4 31-10-2009 09:29 PM
Best spice? Was: Best Online Spice Shop Andy[_2_] General Cooking 27 12-10-2008 04:33 PM
Persian food Amanda Asian Cooking 10 04-06-2006 05:24 PM
Persian Rice Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 19-03-2005 03:01 AM