Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default stew weather

http://hizzoners.com/index.php/recip...mous-beef-stew

>>> We prefer pot roast to stew... identical only the meat is sliced at
>>> the end. And we don't like the meat over cooked so it becomes
>>> strings. Often I'll pull the meat out before it's over cooked and
>>> refrigerate it. When cold it's easier to slice and then can be put
>>> back to heat. I like to use whole canned tomatoes in puree
>>> broken up, those canned diced tomatoes have little flavor and are
>>> packed in water. And rather than wine I add a can of beer.
>>>

>> Yes, Sheldon, you prefer pot roast that is sliced. It's not the same
>> thing as stew.
>>
>> Jill

> Stew and pot roast is exactly the same, only difference is the meat
> size.... and both begin exactly alike; brown the meat. All stew and
> pot roast recipes are interchangeable. I use top round for stew and
> pot roast.

Yes, we know you prefer top round. I prefer chuck roast. My pot roast
doesn't have as much liquid as the one you posted.

> My mom used to make my favorite stew, Veal Stew. Sometimes it was
> veal pot roast (braised veal). I never did get her recipe. Both
> contained carrots, celery, onions, and mushrooms, but no potatoes, it
> was served on a bed of wide egg noodles. I tried to make it but it
> turned out very different.... I've no idea which cut of veal she used
> or which seasonings.

Maybe you should have asked her while she was still alive. I'm
fortunate in that I asked my mom about some things and she wrote some
recipes down for me.

> We had veal often; veal chops, breast of veal...
> I never see veal chops or breast of veal at markets. I think veal
> chops are better than pork chops, and a million times more edible than
> lamb chops.

I love veal but I don't use it to make stew. I can easily find veal
chops. Also veal scallops/cutlets. Veal scallopini or veal piccata is
wonderful.

We all know you don't like lamb. I love it. Lamb chops, lamb shanks.
I've never roasted a leg of lamb but I'm sure I could if I wanted to.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

https://www.anyplaceamerica.com/dire...-county-36039/

> OTOH, all that bullshit you generate you actually COULD be on a
> 1,200ft high mountain ridge by now, they just haven't updated the
> maps.

Big correction: You're about 150 feet BELOW the elevation of the
center of Greenville, NY.

If you'd like me to prove this or want disagree I will post the
coordinates and elevations of your house and that of Greenville, NY.
Just say the word or disagree with me. Or you could have your butt
buddy Gregory disagree for you, too, and I will happily post the
proof.

ObFood: Extreme Chocolate Ice Cream is the *BoMB*. I don't even
like chocolate ice cream.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave S wrote:

> On 11/18/2018 2:
> >
> > Stew and pot roast is exactly the same, only difference is the meat
> > size.... and both begin exactly alike; brown the meat. All stew and
> > pot roast recipes are interchangeable. I use top round for stew and
> > pot roast.
> >
> > My mom used to make my favorite stew, Veal Stew. Sometimes it was
> > veal pot roast (braised veal). I never did get her recipe. Both
> > contained carrots, celery, onions, and mushrooms, but no potatoes,
> > it was served on a bed of wide egg noodles. I tried to make it but
> > it turned out very different.... I've no idea which cut of veal she
> > used or which seasonings. We had veal often; veal chops, breast of
> > veal... I never see veal chops or breast of veal at markets. I
> > think veal chops are better than pork chops, and a million times
> > more edible than lamb chops.
> >

> I buy veal shoulder chops at PriceChopper regularly.
> Good for a braise. My thinking that a "real"
> veal chop is a young t bone/porterhouse steak.
> I don't see them....
> Veal breast at a local store on occasion.
>
> Veal must have been cheaper and more common in the past,
> the family had veal cutlets once a week or so. Probably in the 70's.
>
> I remember restaurants having veal shank specials.

Veal was cheaper then as we had more small farmers who couldn;t over
winter all the calves. Now with the mega-industry, it's marketed as a
premium price.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 Nov 2018 12:26:13 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Dave S wrote:
>
>> I buy veal shoulder chops at PriceChopper regularly.
>> Good for a braise. My thinking that a "real"
>> veal chop is a young t bone/porterhouse steak.
>> I don't see them....
>> Veal breast at a local store on occasion.
>>
>> Veal must have been cheaper and more common in the past,
>> the family had veal cutlets once a week or so. Probably in the 70's.
>>
>> I remember restaurants having veal shank specials.

>Veal was cheaper then as we had more small farmers who couldn;t over
>winter all the calves. Now with the mega-industry, it's marketed as a
>premium price.

Normally, large scale means prices go down, not up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/22/2018 10:30 AM, Brice wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Nov 2018 12:26:13 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>> Dave S wrote:
>>
>>> I buy veal shoulder chops at PriceChopper regularly.
>>> Good for a braise. My thinking that a "real"
>>> veal chop is a young t bone/porterhouse steak.
>>> I don't see them....
>>> Veal breast at a local store on occasion.
>>>
>>> Veal must have been cheaper and more common in the past,
>>> the family had veal cutlets once a week or so. Probably in the 70's.
>>>
>>> I remember restaurants having veal shank specials.

>> Veal was cheaper then as we had more small farmers who couldn;t over
>> winter all the calves. Now with the mega-industry, it's marketed as a
>> premium price.

> Normally, large scale means prices go down, not up.

Normally, access to larger markets means prices go up for the producer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, November 22, 2018 at 1:00:48 PM UTC-6, Taxed and Spent wrote:
> On 11/22/2018 10:30 AM, Brice wrote:

> >> Veal was cheaper then as we had more small farmers who couldn;t over
> >> winter all the calves. Now with the mega-industry, it's marketed as a
> >> premium price.

> > Normally, large scale means prices go down, not up.
> >

> Normally, access to larger markets means prices go up for the producer.

Which is why WE HUMANS SHOULD have more DISTRIBUTED Meat Production!

Third Industerial Revolution stuff!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, November 22, 2018 at 1:30:18 PM UTC-5, Brice wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Nov 2018 12:26:13 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> >Dave S wrote:
> >
> >> I buy veal shoulder chops at PriceChopper regularly.
> >> Good for a braise. My thinking that a "real"
> >> veal chop is a young t bone/porterhouse steak.
> >> I don't see them....
> >> Veal breast at a local store on occasion.
> >>
> >> Veal must have been cheaper and more common in the past,
> >> the family had veal cutlets once a week or so. Probably in the 70's.
> >>
> >> I remember restaurants having veal shank specials.

> >Veal was cheaper then as we had more small farmers who couldn;t over
> >winter all the calves. Now with the mega-industry, it's marketed as a
> >premium price.

> Normally, large scale means prices go down, not up.

The cost to raise a calf to the size required for veal is proportionally
higher (per pound) than a mature specimen.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Taxed and Spent wrote:

> On 11/22/2018 10:30 AM, Brice wrote:

> > > Veal was cheaper then as we had more small farmers who couldn;t
> > > over winter all the calves. Now with the mega-industry, it's
> > > marketed as a premium price.

> > Normally, large scale means prices go down, not up.
> >

> Normally, access to larger markets means prices go up for the
> producer.

This time prices for the consumer were a bit cheaper because the
farmers had to sell at almost a loss (small ones, not larger combines).
You'd get a mini-glut of it seasonally. I'm not sure if that lasted to
the 70's but one of my older cookbooks from the 50's refers to 'veal
season'.

There was also a book series (might have been Little House on the
Prarie? Not sure). About life on a small farm and there's a
scene/chapter about selecting which calves would be worth wintering
over. There's side discussion on barn space and a barn raising.