Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner with vegan friends

On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 06:16:29 +1100, Brice >
wrote:

>>> I hope not. It's just that for every dairy cow a bull is killed and
>>> for every egg laying hen a rooster's killed. Plus the hen and the cow
>>> are killed when they're no longer productive enough. Plus what
>>> conditions are they kept in? Those are things why I can understand
>>> vegans.
>>>

>>The ethics are certainly controversial. The bull and rooster killed
>>should not be wasted. No animal should be kept in poor conditions.
>>Yes, it will probably raise prices a bit too. Nor should we destroy the
>>rain forests to raise cattle for the sake of cheap hamburgers.

>Yes, I think those are valid concerns that don't make people a nut or
>a fanatic.

That alone certainly doesn't make people a nut or
a fanatic. But how they deal with the issue often does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 15:40:19 -0500, wrote:

>My question is can vegetarians enjoy oral sex?

Maybe, eating out vegans tastes like tofu to me.
Free range organic tofu, of course.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 06:15:35 +1100, Brice >
wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 18:19:22 +0700, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 22:05:38 +1100, Brice >
>>wrote:

>>>But wouldn't you be a vegan then? (Not that I'm either.)

>>Hmm, well, you could possibly still have honey and yeast I suppose
>>Certain caviar perhaps? I'll have to give it some more thought.

>A problem with honey seems over the top to me, but with yeast...
>that's becoming ridiculous

Of course it's ridiculous, but have you really been exposed to some of
the more extreme vegans out there in the world? I particularly mean by
that, non-Australian vegans? And what they demand from others?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 10:51:57 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 11/14/2018 5:41 AM, Brice wrote:
>

>>> Sure, animal welfare can be a legitimate reason - but how far does
>>> that extend, or more to the point - where does it stop and
>>> discrimination/persecution of living creatures begin? Do vegans also
>>> refuse vaccinations or anti venom, for example?

>> I hope not. It's just that for every dairy cow a bull is killed and
>> for every egg laying hen a rooster's killed. Plus the hen and the cow
>> are killed when they're no longer productive enough. Plus what
>> conditions are they kept in? Those are things why I can understand
>> vegans.
>>

>The ethics are certainly controversial. The bull and rooster killed
>should not be wasted. No animal should be kept in poor conditions.
>Yes, it will probably raise prices a bit too. Nor should we destroy the
>rain forests to raise cattle for the sake of cheap hamburgers.

Meat, eggs and dairy can certainly be raised humanely. But most people
won't pay for it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>> On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 09:33:31 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>On Wed 14 Nov 2018 02:16:09a, Jeßus told us...

>>>I don't feel sorry for vegans, nor do I provide special food if they
>>>happen to be in a party of friends. It's their choice, unless it's a
>>>serious health issue.
>>>
>>>I'm sure they wouldn't provide a non-vegan meal for me if I were
>>>invited.

>> I have no tolerance for them, the only exception if there was some
>> medical reason behind needing to be vegan. It's an irrational and
>> narcissistic philosophy, IMO. And literally impossible to achieve in
>> the real world.
>>
>> Vegetarianism I can understand, I have no issue with that... as long
>> as THEY don't make an issue of it.

>Unfortunately a lot of vegetarians do make an issue of it.

They sure do.

We come across many of them on social media... on groups relating to
travelling in SE Asia. They come here expecting/demanding the most
ridiculous shit, including demanding pictures be deleted if they
contain anything involving animals or animal husbandry on food groups.

They come here expecting their (western) dietary requirements be
catered for, which outside of the tourist traps is near-impossible.
Little do they know, most 'vegan/vegetarian food in SE Asia contains
animal products, even in tourist areas Millennials in particular
are just the worst, most obnoxious to deal with. They have no respect
for anybody, or the culture of the countries they are guests in.

>A big issue.
>They often start by saying "Oh, I'm not a fussy eater as long as it
>doesn't have meat" but then get so picky that by the end of it they have
>you jumping through hoops to make something they can eat.
>
>Few vegetarians I've met have much enthusiasm for decent food.

I totally agree. I know many who will eat complete crap, they care
little for their health. Only care about ethics... and in some cases,
only pretend to care.

>Maybe so
>many of them are distinctly lacklustre because, after a few years, some
>of the less fortunate ones get low on vital nutrients like B12 and
>carnitine.
>
>> I eat vegan/vegetarian meals regularly, but that's simply because I
>> tire of eating meat or animal-based products every single meal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 12:11:55 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2018-11-14 4:51 AM, Je?us wrote:
>> On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 09:33:31 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:

>>> I don't feel sorry for vegans, nor do I provide special food if they
>>> happen to be in a party of friends. It's their choice, unless it's a
>>> serious health issue.
>>>
>>> I'm sure they wouldn't provide a non-vegan meal for me if I were
>>> invited.

>> I have no tolerance for them, the only exception if there was some
>> medical reason behind needing to be vegan. It's an irrational and
>> narcissistic philosophy, IMO. And literally impossible to achieve in
>> the real world.

>I can tolerate them for a distance. I was not thrilled last winter when
>I went on a kayaking trip to Georgia and one of the group was vegan. We
>had a reservation at a place in Virginia and there was a German
>restaurant next door. I had been looking forward to a good feed of
>German food. But, no...... they wanted to go to a Chinese restaurant
>because there was a better chance of getting vegan food there. As it
>turned out, they had to make something special for her and she did not
>like it.
>
>Then there was the cooking arrangements for the 14 of us sharing a
>vacation property. We were supposed to share cooking detail and every
>meal had to include vegan options. Sorry, but I don't cook vegan. A
>couple of us held a mini revolt when the totally vegan was offered. We
>bought some meet and cooked it to have alongside the vegan fair.

Vegans should take care of and arrange their own dietary requirements,
if they are a minority of one. Imagine if the situation was reversed
and you demanded the same from them.

>I have mentioned before about my brother's son and DiL being vegan and
>coming to stay for the weekend on all the major meat feast holidays.
>They want everything to be vegetarian, including a Chinese take out
>meal. They wanted people to order only vegetarian dishes. When my
>brother goes to visit them he is never offered meat. The DiL got upset
>when they used the BBQ to cook a steak, and I have to wonder why
>vegetarians even have a BBQ. Oh yeah.... to cook the phony meat veggie
>burgers that they claim taste just like meat.

LOL. Vegetarian food made to emulate meat particularly amuses me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 07:46:20 +0700, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 06:15:35 +1100, Brice >
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 18:19:22 +0700, Jeßus > wrote:

>>>Hmm, well, you could possibly still have honey and yeast I suppose
>>>Certain caviar perhaps? I'll have to give it some more thought.

>>A problem with honey seems over the top to me, but with yeast...
>>that's becoming ridiculous

>Of course it's ridiculous, but have you really been exposed to some of
>the more extreme vegans out there in the world? I particularly mean by
>that, non-Australian vegans? And what they demand from others?

No, I haven't. But I guess every movement has its hysterical members.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 10:40:19 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 11/14/2018 4:33 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>

>> I don't feel sorry for vegans, nor do I provide special food if they
>> happen to be in a party of friends. It's their choice, unless it's a
>> serious health issue.
>>
>> I'm sure they wouldn't provide a non-vegan meal for me if I were
>> invited.
>>

>Seems many vegans are radicals.

Westerners. With too much money and time on their hands.
Self-indulgent, pretentious hipsters buying into a lifestyle because
it gives them an identity in their otherwise spiritually empty lives -
this describes most vegans. Certainly not all of them - but it does
describe the ones you KNOW are vegans within 20 seconds of meeting
them.

>I don't know any vegans, but yes to a vegetarian. We do accommodate him
>for an occasional meal though, not a big deal. When he invited us we
>always had a great meal too. He also does not care that others eat
>meat, unlike so of the vegan stories.
>
>Now that I brought it up, I'll have to dig out the recipe for his
>broccoli cheese soup.

Broccoli soup is nice, as long as the broccoli is not cooked for too
long, otherwise it develops an unpleasant taste. Just IMO.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 07:48:33 +0700, Jeßus > wrote:

>>> I hope not. It's just that for every dairy cow a bull is killed and
>>> for every egg laying hen a rooster's killed. Plus the hen and the cow
>>> are killed when they're no longer productive enough. Plus what
>>> conditions are they kept in? Those are things why I can understand
>>> vegans.
>>>

>>The ethics are certainly controversial. The bull and rooster killed
>>should not be wasted. No animal should be kept in poor conditions.
>>Yes, it will probably raise prices a bit too. Nor should we destroy the
>>rain forests to raise cattle for the sake of cheap hamburgers.

>Meat, eggs and dairy can certainly be raised humanely. But most people
>won't pay for it.

True. Sometimes I see people here in rfc go on about how they can get
chicken wings for only $.75 per lbs or something. They don't see or
care what the hidden cost for the animals is.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 06:22:48 +1100, Brice >
wrote:

>I don't know any vegans either. I also don't know any vegetarians.
>Maybe I just don't know enough people.

I'm sure you used to claim to be vegetarian (despite eating fish)?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 01:07:47 GMT, Pamela >
wrote:

>Of course there's a spread of traits amongst vegetarians and non-veggies
>but the tendency of vegetarians is, in my experience, markedly different
>to that of non-veggies. I have never come across non-veggies who are as
>picky as many veggies I know.
>
>For myself, I find veggie food lacks the range of non-veggie food.
>Veggie food is not just an alternative but it's a subset of non-veggie
>food which is limiting. Also I find it's too same-y.
>
>I don't mind one little bit if people want to be veggie. It's entirely
>their choice and I have no motive in debating the pro and cons or
>encouraging them to eat what they don't want to. However I don't put
>myself out for their preferences and would rather never prepare food for
>them.
>
>At a tangent, a friend of mine is a veggie and she refuses to take
>medication in gelatin capsules on account of its animal content. I can
>only shrug my shoulders.

She wouldn't be a true vegetarian if she consumed gelatin. And there
tend to be alternatives. I don't see the problem.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 12:11:25 +1100, Brice >
wrote:

>On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 07:46:20 +0700, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 06:15:35 +1100, Brice >
>>wrote:

>>>A problem with honey seems over the top to me, but with yeast...
>>>that's becoming ridiculous

>>Of course it's ridiculous, but have you really been exposed to some of
>>the more extreme vegans out there in the world? I particularly mean by
>>that, non-Australian vegans? And what they demand from others?

>No, I haven't. But I guess every movement has its hysterical members.

Trust me, with vegans it is the majority of them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 12:13:50 +1100, Brice >
wrote:

>On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 07:48:33 +0700, Jeßus > wrote:

>>>The ethics are certainly controversial. The bull and rooster killed
>>>should not be wasted. No animal should be kept in poor conditions.
>>>Yes, it will probably raise prices a bit too. Nor should we destroy the
>>>rain forests to raise cattle for the sake of cheap hamburgers.

>>Meat, eggs and dairy can certainly be raised humanely. But most people
>>won't pay for it.

>True. Sometimes I see people here in rfc go on about how they can get
>chicken wings for only $.75 per lbs or something. They don't see or
>care what the hidden cost for the animals is.

Yes, it's scary how cheap it can be. When it's that cheap you just
know it's neither humane or good quality.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>> I totally agree. I know many who will eat complete crap, they care
>> little for their health. Only care about ethics... and in some cases,
>> only pretend to care.

>Most veggies I know are motivated by animal compassion. Fair enough
>although I don't agree.

"I don't agree with compassion for animals." Strange statement.

>One veggie I know sees animals are more
>important than humans and that tells me something's not quite right
>there.

I'm even more against consumption of humans. Does that help?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 08:15:19 +0700, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 06:22:48 +1100, Brice >
>wrote:
>
>>I don't know any vegans either. I also don't know any vegetarians.
>>Maybe I just don't know enough people.

>I'm sure you used to claim to be vegetarian (despite eating fish)?

I've never been a vegetarian or claimed to be one. People here
understandably assume that I am because I defend them. But I ain't
one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 12:26:12 +1100, Brice >
wrote:

>On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 08:15:19 +0700, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 06:22:48 +1100, Brice >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>I don't know any vegans either. I also don't know any vegetarians.
>>>Maybe I just don't know enough people.

>>I'm sure you used to claim to be vegetarian (despite eating fish)?

>I've never been a vegetarian or claimed to be one. People here
>understandably assume that I am because I defend them. But I ain't
>one.

Hmm. My memory isn't that bad. But google groups search IS bad, so I'm
not going to even try to search back 3 years ago.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>> On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 01:07:47 GMT, Pamela >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Of course there's a spread of traits amongst vegetarians and non-veggies
>>>but the tendency of vegetarians is, in my experience, markedly different
>>>to that of non-veggies. I have never come across non-veggies who are as
>>>picky as many veggies I know.
>>>
>>>For myself, I find veggie food lacks the range of non-veggie food.
>>>Veggie food is not just an alternative but it's a subset of non-veggie
>>>food which is limiting. Also I find it's too same-y.
>>>
>>>I don't mind one little bit if people want to be veggie. It's entirely
>>>their choice and I have no motive in debating the pro and cons or
>>>encouraging them to eat what they don't want to. However I don't put
>>>myself out for their preferences and would rather never prepare food for
>>>them.
>>>
>>>At a tangent, a friend of mine is a veggie and she refuses to take
>>>medication in gelatin capsules on account of its animal content. I can
>>>only shrug my shoulders.

>> She wouldn't be a true vegetarian if she consumed gelatin. And there
>> tend to be alternatives. I don't see the problem.

>There are rarely alternatives as many medications come only in one form.
>She would have to open capsules and take the powder which was often bitter
>and needed some food to disguise the taste. Some capsules don't open
>easily and have to be cut. I know this because I had to help as she often
>struggled to manage.
>
>Some veggies take a more practical view and consider the gelatin content is
>only nominal and eat it. Others treat microscopic specs of meat as a
>serious contaminant of everything they come in contact with. Oh, did I say
>my friend has OCD in which contamination fears are commonplace.

"Gelatin is a (...) food ingredient that is derived from collagen
obtained from various animal body parts."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelatin

That's not just "nominal"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>> On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 01:14:25 GMT, Pamela >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Most veggies I know are motivated by animal compassion. Fair enough
>>>although I don't agree.

>> "I don't agree with compassion for animals." Strange statement.

>Try this instead: I am not primarily motivated by exaggerated compassion
>for animals.

What about "My tastebuds are more important than animals." Mine are
more important than fish, although it's close.

>>>One veggie I know sees animals are more
>>>important than humans and that tells me something's not quite right
>>>there.

>> I'm even more against consumption of humans. Does that help?

>To be clear, my friend would rather a human being die than an animal.
>
>She and I don't talk about this much as she is on a short fuse and will
>fly into a rage if she reminds herself of the injustices animals face.

I think that's going too far. Although I'd have a hard time choosing
between Donald Trump and the neighbour's dog.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 08:29:50 +0700, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 12:26:12 +1100, Brice >
>wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 08:15:19 +0700, Jeßus > wrote:

>>>I'm sure you used to claim to be vegetarian (despite eating fish)?

>>I've never been a vegetarian or claimed to be one. People here
>>understandably assume that I am because I defend them. But I ain't
>>one.

>Hmm. My memory isn't that bad. But google groups search IS bad, so I'm
>not going to even try to search back 3 years ago.

You won't find it anyway. I don't lie. I have no reason to.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>> On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 01:25:36 GMT, Pamela >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>On 01:16 15 Nov 2018, Brice > wrote in
:

>>>There are rarely alternatives as many medications come only in one
>>>form. She would have to open capsules and take the powder which was
>>>often bitter and needed some food to disguise the taste. Some
>>>capsules don't open easily and have to be cut. I know this because I
>>>had to help as she often struggled to manage.
>>>
>>>Some veggies take a more practical view and consider the gelatin
>>>content is only nominal and eat it. Others treat microscopic specs of
>>>meat as a serious contaminant of everything they come in contact with.
>>> Oh, did I say my friend has OCD in which contamination fears are
>>>commonplace.

>> "Gelatin is a (...) food ingredient that is derived from collagen
>> obtained from various animal body parts."
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelatin
>>
>> That's not just "nominal"

>We all know where gelatin comes from, so I don't know why you quote it.

You sounded like you didn't know.

>A medication capsule weighs about 40 or 50 milligrams and a sealed
>softgel a bit more than that. The gelatin content is never more than
>80% and can be less. So that's approx 40 milligrams of gelatin which is
>2,500 times less than a small 100g serving of meat.
>
>I call a 2,500th "nominal". Don't you?

"So you're a vegetarian? Well, have a nominal amount of meat then."
Huh?

>Oh, did I say my veggie friend never dry her laundry outdoors in case it
>traps little insects she can't see and then she feels responsible for
>them. I knew an Indian Jain who thought that was too much and they sweep
>the ground in front of them as they walk to avoid killing insects.

There are many kinds of nuts in the world. Those Indians don't care
about animals. They just want a better next life.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 12:48:04 +1100, Brice >
wrote:

>On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 01:29:53 GMT, Pamela >
>wrote:
>
>>On 01:24 15 Nov 2018, Brice > wrote in
m:

>>> "I don't agree with compassion for animals." Strange statement.

>>Try this instead: I am not primarily motivated by exaggerated compassion
>>for animals.

>What about "My tastebuds are more important than animals." Mine are
>more important than fish, although it's close.

>>> I'm even more against consumption of humans. Does that help?

>>To be clear, my friend would rather a human being die than an animal.
>>
>>She and I don't talk about this much as she is on a short fuse and will
>>fly into a rage if she reminds herself of the injustices animals face.

>I think that's going too far. Although I'd have a hard time choosing
>between Donald Trump and the neighbour's dog.

There's a thought. Let's hope the next Prez is female... (get that one
last roadblock out of the way and make the hipsters happy). Then we
can push for species-diversity-equality. I want to see a dog become
president.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 08:56:58 +0700, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 12:48:04 +1100, Brice >
>wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 01:29:53 GMT, Pamela >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>On 01:24 15 Nov 2018, Brice > wrote in
:

>>>Try this instead: I am not primarily motivated by exaggerated compassion
>>>for animals.

>>What about "My tastebuds are more important than animals." Mine are
>>more important than fish, although it's close.

>>>To be clear, my friend would rather a human being die than an animal.
>>>
>>>She and I don't talk about this much as she is on a short fuse and will
>>>fly into a rage if she reminds herself of the injustices animals face.

>>I think that's going too far. Although I'd have a hard time choosing
>>between Donald Trump and the neighbour's dog.

>There's a thought. Let's hope the next Prez is female... (get that one
>last roadblock out of the way and make the hipsters happy). Then we
>can push for species-diversity-equality. I want to see a dog become
>president.

Lol. I think 50% of women would love a female president. The other 50%
wouldn't like it. They'd be jealous and they'd have lost their excuse
for spending half their life sitting on the couch watching soaps.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-11-14 8:07 p.m., Pamela wrote:
> On 18:17 14 Nov 2018, Janet > wrote in
> t:
>

> Of course there's a spread of traits amongst vegetarians and non-veggies
> but the tendency of vegetarians is, in my experience, markedly different
> to that of non-veggies. I have never come across non-veggies who are as
> picky as many veggies I know.
>
> For myself, I find veggie food lacks the range of non-veggie food.
> Veggie food is not just an alternative but it's a subset of non-veggie
> food which is limiting. Also I find it's too same-y.

I had a number of vegetarian friends back in the 70s and most of their
food tasted like crap. OTOH, I have had a a number of meals in a
vegetarian Indian restaurant that were delicious.

> I don't mind one little bit if people want to be veggie. It's entirely
> their choice and I have no motive in debating the pro and cons or
> encouraging them to eat what they don't want to. However I don't put
> myself out for their preferences and would rather never prepare food for
> them.
>
> At a tangent, a friend of mine is a veggie and she refuses to take
> medication in gelatin capsules on account of its animal content. I can
> only shrug my shoulders.

I find it disturbing that people like that would do the research to find
out about that sort if thing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 21:43:35 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>I had a number of vegetarian friends back in the 70s and most of their
>food tasted like crap. OTOH, I have had a a number of meals in a
>vegetarian Indian restaurant that were delicious.

Right. So much for blanket statements then.

>> I don't mind one little bit if people want to be veggie. It's entirely
>> their choice and I have no motive in debating the pro and cons or
>> encouraging them to eat what they don't want to. However I don't put
>> myself out for their preferences and would rather never prepare food for
>> them.
>>
>> At a tangent, a friend of mine is a veggie and she refuses to take
>> medication in gelatin capsules on account of its animal content. I can
>> only shrug my shoulders.

>I find it disturbing that people like that would do the research to find
>out about that sort if thing.

What research? You didn't know gelatin was made of animal parts?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Some veggies take a more practical view and consider the gelatin content is
>only nominal and eat it. Others treat microscopic specs of meat as a
>serious contaminant of everything they come in contact with. Oh, did I say
>my friend has OCD in which contamination fears are commonplace.

And of course, there are many forms of vegetarianism, along with
differing reasons for same. Some just don't eat meat - but will eat
fish, eggs, or dairy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 21:43:35 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2018-11-14 8:07 p.m., Pamela wrote:
>> On 18:17 14 Nov 2018, Janet > wrote in
>> t:
>>

>> Of course there's a spread of traits amongst vegetarians and non-veggies
>> but the tendency of vegetarians is, in my experience, markedly different
>> to that of non-veggies. I have never come across non-veggies who are as
>> picky as many veggies I know.
>>
>> For myself, I find veggie food lacks the range of non-veggie food.
>> Veggie food is not just an alternative but it's a subset of non-veggie
>> food which is limiting. Also I find it's too same-y.

>I had a number of vegetarian friends back in the 70s and most of their
>food tasted like crap. OTOH, I have had a a number of meals in a
>vegetarian Indian restaurant that were delicious.
>

>> I don't mind one little bit if people want to be veggie. It's entirely
>> their choice and I have no motive in debating the pro and cons or
>> encouraging them to eat what they don't want to. However I don't put
>> myself out for their preferences and would rather never prepare food for
>> them.
>>
>> At a tangent, a friend of mine is a veggie and she refuses to take
>> medication in gelatin capsules on account of its animal content. I can
>> only shrug my shoulders.

>I find it disturbing that people like that would do the research to find
>out about that sort if thing.

Oh, they're out there alright... <rolls eyes>.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 10:03:41 +0700, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 21:43:35 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>
>>On 2018-11-14 8:07 p.m., Pamela wrote:

>>> At a tangent, a friend of mine is a veggie and she refuses to take
>>> medication in gelatin capsules on account of its animal content. I can
>>> only shrug my shoulders.

>>I find it disturbing that people like that would do the research to find
>>out about that sort if thing.

>Oh, they're out there alright... <rolls eyes>.

Yes, there are people out there who don't want to kill animals for
human consumption. And can you believe that those people try to avoid
items with dead animals in them? It's truly unbelievable!

The world must be a source of constant surprises for you guys
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pamela wrote:
> There are rarely alternatives as many medications come only in one form.
> She would have to open capsules and take the powder which was often bitter
> and needed some food to disguise the taste. Some capsules don't open
> easily and have to be cut. I know this because I had to help as she often
> struggled to manage.

i thought there were vegetarian based gelatin
capsules available these days? i seem to recall
something like that...

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 22:12:57 -0500, songbird >
wrote:

>Pamela wrote:
>> There are rarely alternatives as many medications come only in one form.
>> She would have to open capsules and take the powder which was often bitter
>> and needed some food to disguise the taste. Some capsules don't open
>> easily and have to be cut. I know this because I had to help as she often
>> struggled to manage.

> i thought there were vegetarian based gelatin
>capsules available these days? i seem to recall
>something like that...

You'd think so, with 10-15% (and growing) of the population being
vegetarian or vegan. Problem solved.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 14:10:49 +1100, Brice >
wrote:

>On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 10:03:41 +0700, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 21:43:35 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>>>I find it disturbing that people like that would do the research to find
>>>out about that sort if thing.

>>Oh, they're out there alright... <rolls eyes>.

>Yes, there are people out there who don't want to kill animals for
>human consumption. And can you believe that those people try to avoid
>items with dead animals in them? It's truly unbelievable!
>
>The world must be a source of constant surprises for you guys

You just don't understand our point of view (no, really). And we don't
understand you. You claim you're NOT (and have never been) a
vegetarian, but go on and on with this same sort of shit which on the
face of it, makes no sense. You must be choosing to omit some
important relevent personal (or other) detail, for reasons best known
to yourself. Whatever.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 10:59:31 +0700, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 14:10:49 +1100, Brice >
>wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 10:03:41 +0700, Jeßus > wrote:
>>
>>>Oh, they're out there alright... <rolls eyes>.

>>Yes, there are people out there who don't want to kill animals for
>>human consumption. And can you believe that those people try to avoid
>>items with dead animals in them? It's truly unbelievable!
>>
>>The world must be a source of constant surprises for you guys

>You just don't understand our point of view (no, really). And we don't
>understand you. You claim you're NOT (and have never been) a
>vegetarian, but go on and on with this same sort of shit which on the
>face of it, makes no sense. You must be choosing to omit some
>important relevent personal (or other) detail, for reasons best known
>to yourself. Whatever.

I only pointed out that it's nonsensical to expect a vegetarian to eat
non-vegetarian gelatin or a "nominal amount of meat". You both seem to
miss the point that vegetarians don't eat animal products, not even a
little bit
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jeßus wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 01:25:36 GMT, Pamela >
> wrote:
>
> > Some veggies take a more practical view and consider the gelatin
> > content is only nominal and eat it. Others treat microscopic specs
> > of meat as a serious contaminant of everything they come in contact
> > with. Oh, did I say my friend has OCD in which contamination fears
> > are commonplace.

> And of course, there are many forms of vegetarianism, along with
> differing reasons for same. Some just don't eat meat - but will eat
> fish, eggs, or dairy.

I find it amusing when people pretend 'Fish is not meat'. It;s a middl
ages European thing that the rest of the world doesn't buy into.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 22:20:59 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Jeßus wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 01:25:36 GMT, Pamela >
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Some veggies take a more practical view and consider the gelatin
>> > content is only nominal and eat it. Others treat microscopic specs
>> > of meat as a serious contaminant of everything they come in contact
>> > with. Oh, did I say my friend has OCD in which contamination fears
>> > are commonplace.

>> And of course, there are many forms of vegetarianism, along with
>> differing reasons for same. Some just don't eat meat - but will eat
>> fish, eggs, or dairy.

>I find it amusing when people pretend 'Fish is not meat'. It;s a middl
>ages European thing that the rest of the world doesn't buy into.

'European thing'. Umm, OK.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 03:15:52 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Wed 14 Nov 2018 06:56:58p, Jeßus told us...
>
>> On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 12:48:04 +1100, Brice >
>> wrote:

m:

>>>What about "My tastebuds are more important than animals." Mine
>>>are more important than fish, although it's close.

>>>I think that's going too far. Although I'd have a hard time
>>>choosing between Donald Trump and the neighbour's dog.

>> There's a thought. Let's hope the next Prez is female... (get that
>> one last roadblock out of the way and make the hipsters happy).
>> Then we can push for species-diversity-equality. I want to see a
>> dog become president.
>>

>I think that's been known to happen.

I look forward to seeing Mr President dry-humping the podium.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 01:02 15 Nov 2018, Jeßus > wrote in
:

<snip>
>> animal products, even in tourist areas Millennials in particular
>> are just the worst, most obnoxious to deal with. They have no respect
>> for anybody, or the culture of the countries they are guests in.

>Interesting comment about Millenials: they're self-absorbed and self-
>important whilst being easily offended. This is a generation that's
>storing up mental health problems for itself, revolving around ideas of
>narcissistic entitlement and then feeling thwarted when reality doesn't
>deliver their expectations. They create an emotional roller coaster for
>themsleves but are emotionally very poorly prepared for it.

That's an accurate observation. I think with the millennial
generation, it's far more then the traditional generation gap thing
going on. They seem to have a complete lack of forethought about the
long-term implications of their attitude/beliefs. They have no concept
why their ideas are unsustainable in the long term.

I strike them a lot on certain Facebook groups relating to travel, and
also IRL in touristy locations around SE Asia. 'Beg-packing' is now,
unfortunately, a thing. They run low on funds, and think it's just
fine to literally beg on the streets of foreign countries (often 3rd
world countries) for money so they can continue to travel.

Many mock the work ethic, citing life's too short for that sort of
thing, but never have an answer as to who will support them in the
future. They also generally have no respect for the culture of foreign
countries either. And being nearby to a group of them conversing...
well, it's just painful.

>Most veggies I know are motivated by animal compassion. Fair enough
>although I don't agree. One veggie I know sees animals are more
>important than humans and that tells me something's not quite right
>there.

I'm in neither camp, really. I just accept death is a part of life.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 22:20:59 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Jeßus wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 01:25:36 GMT, Pamela >
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Some veggies take a more practical view and consider the gelatin
>> > content is only nominal and eat it. Others treat microscopic specs
>> > of meat as a serious contaminant of everything they come in contact
>> > with. Oh, did I say my friend has OCD in which contamination fears
>> > are commonplace.

>> And of course, there are many forms of vegetarianism, along with
>> differing reasons for same. Some just don't eat meat - but will eat
>> fish, eggs, or dairy.

>I find it amusing when people pretend 'Fish is not meat'. It;s a middl
>ages European thing that the rest of the world doesn't buy into.

Nobody buys into it, silly. But next time I have a question about
Europe, I'll know who to ask
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" wrote in message ...

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 11:35:15 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Wed 14 Nov 2018 04:09:54a, Jeßus told us...
>
>> On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 10:25:23 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>On Wed 14 Nov 2018 03:00:06a, Brice told us...

>>>It's funny for the bunnies and sad for the puppy. Although I once
>>>only a toy collie that loved vegetables and would only eat her
>>>meat after we gave her vegetables.

>> My oldest cat likes steamed cauliflower Like many cats, she's a
>> bit of a fussy eater with a very narrow palette, and it surprised
>> the hell out of me that she would like such a thing. Many years
>> ago I was eating some, she kept pestering me to give her some. I
>> eventually did, only to get her off my back, thinking she would
>> sniff it and walk away. Nope. She ate it and then at some more.
>>

>We had 4 cats buty recetly had to have 1 of our cats put to sleep at
>age 15. All our cats were fed regular high grade canned and dry cat
>food, but our cat who recently passed absolutely loved to eat
>anything Italian that contained tomato, especially pasta, lasagna,
>and pizza. She would wait patiently until someone finished their
>meal and would eat whatever of those foods remained on their plate.
>She was the "lady" of the house, bossing around our 3 males, 2 of
>which were her same age. All were tuxedos.

Ha, she had good taste.

My older cat (Annie) is 15 and very slim, mostly Siamese I think.
Lucy is 7 y/o and a classic tabby... very large, even for a tabby.
Boisterous and a trouble-maker when she gets bored. Total opposite of
Annie. Lucy torments the hell out of Annie at times, yet there's no
question who is the boss of the house, especially when it comes to
food.

Speaking of cats with unusual tastes, loves durian:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiM6...ature=youtu.be

This cat doesn't agree though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDbm...ature=youtu.be

==

lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>> On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 01:44:57 GMT, Pamela >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>We all know where gelatin comes from, so I don't know why you quote
>>>it.

>> You sounded like you didn't know.

>You must have a comprehension problem because I wrote "she refuses to
>take medication in gelatin capsules on account of its animal content".
>What did you find so hard to nderstand in that?

It sounded like you thought she was stupid because there wasn't any
animal content, whereas in reality it's almost all animal content.

>>>A medication capsule weighs about 40 or 50 milligrams and a sealed
>>>softgel a bit more than that. The gelatin content is never more than
>>>80% and can be less. So that's approx 40 milligrams of gelatin which
>>>is 2,500 times less than a small 100g serving of meat.
>>>
>>>I call a 2,500th "nominal". Don't you?

>> "So you're a vegetarian? Well, have a nominal amount of meat then."
>> Huh?

>That isn't the issue. I already said it's too much for her. However
>you wrote "That's not just nominal" and you are incorrect as it's only
>one part in 2,500 and approaching homeopathic standards of dilution.

But it's not diluted by a 100g serving of meat and how would that help
anyway? Just remember this: if you don't want to eat meat, you also
don't want to eat a little bit of meat.

>>>Oh, did I say my veggie friend never dry her laundry outdoors in case
>>>it traps little insects she can't see and then she feels responsible
>>>for them. I knew an Indian Jain who thought that was too much and
>>>they sweep the ground in front of them as they walk to avoid killing
>>>insects.

>> There are many kinds of nuts in the world. Those Indians don't care
>> about animals. They just want a better next life.

>Although that doesn't much change the extremity of the view my friend
>takes about drying her laundry.

Yeah, that's nuts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>> On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 21:43:35 -0500, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>I had a number of vegetarian friends back in the 70s and most of their
>>>food tasted like crap. OTOH, I have had a a number of meals in a
>>>vegetarian Indian restaurant that were delicious.

>> Right. So much for blanket statements then.
>>
>>>I find it disturbing that people like that would do the research to
>>>find out about that sort if thing.

>> What research? You didn't know gelatin was made of animal parts?

>Surely the research is that gelatin is used to make capsules for
>medication. At what age did you know that?

Just remember this: if you don't want to eat animal parts, you also
don't want to eat capsules made of animal parts. It's simple, really.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 14, 2018 at 8:57:05 PM UTC-5, Jeßus wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 12:48:04 +1100, Brice >
> wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 01:29:53 GMT, Pamela >
> >wrote:
> >
> >>On 01:24 15 Nov 2018, Brice > wrote in
> m:

> >>Try this instead: I am not primarily motivated by exaggerated compassion
> >>for animals.

> >What about "My tastebuds are more important than animals." Mine are
> >more important than fish, although it's close.

> >>To be clear, my friend would rather a human being die than an animal.
> >>
> >>She and I don't talk about this much as she is on a short fuse and will
> >>fly into a rage if she reminds herself of the injustices animals face.

> >I think that's going too far. Although I'd have a hard time choosing
> >between Donald Trump and the neighbour's dog.

> There's a thought. Let's hope the next Prez is female... (get that one
> last roadblock out of the way and make the hipsters happy). Then we
> can push for species-diversity-equality. I want to see a dog become
> president.

Could be a little tricky meeting the age requirement. Very few dogs
live to be 35.

Cindy Hamilton