Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default fruitcake confession

On Sun, 18 Nov 2018 20:53:36 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright

:

om:

>>>I saw a series on the telly where the presenter went around making
>>>bush tucker. I suppose there might be something that's vaguely
>>>palatable although I can't say I'm tempted to try any. Have you?

>> Only croc, kangaroo, possum and emu. I haven't tried witchetty
>> grubs or any plant bush tucker.
>>
>>>Scottish food has some notoriously unhealthy preparations. After
>>>all, this it the home of the deep fried Mars Bar.

>> And of haggis. I'd try that and probably like it if I ate meat.
>>

>I've been offered haggis and also black sausage, neither of which I
>was willing to try.

I never had a problem with offal, except once with a French offal
sausage that smelt like a sewer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Nov 2018 12:48:36 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Brice" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 18 Nov 2018 18:45:59 GMT, Pamela >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>On 18:41 18 Nov 2018, Brice > wrote in
:

>>>Is that aborigine country?

>> The politically correct answer is that it's all Aborigine country, but
>> there are more Aborigines up north.

>But the real answer is "WAS" Aborigine country.

Yes. I think they're trying to cover that fact up by always
acknowleding the original owners of the land and some other ceremonial
formulas. But in reality, the Aborigines are the losers in this
culture clash, of course.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>> On Sun, 18 Nov 2018 20:34:53 GMT, Pamela >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>On 19:48 18 Nov 2018, Brice > wrote in
:

om:

>>>I saw a series on the telly where the presenter went around making
>>>bush tucker. I suppose there might be something that's vaguely
>>>palatable although I can't say I'm tempted to try any. Have you?

>> Only croc, kangaroo, possum and emu. I haven't tried witchetty grubs
>> or any plant bush tucker.

>Now that I think of it, I have tried crocodile and kangaroo. Both were
>too tough for me.

Maybe they were cooked wrong. Both can be nice and not an acquired
taste. I preferred emu though.

>>>Scottish food has some notoriously unhealthy preparations. After all,
>>>this it the home of the deep fried Mars Bar.

>> And of haggis. I'd try that and probably like it if I ate meat.

>The tourist version is sometimes covered in whisky or a creamy sauce to
>give it extra appeal.

Sounds good to me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/18/2018 4:04 PM, Pamela wrote:
> On 20:43 18 Nov 2018, Brice > wrote in

>> And of haggis. I'd try that and probably like it if I ate meat.

> The tourist version is sometimes covered in whisky or a creamy sauce to
> give it extra appeal.

Years ago the Woolworth's on Princes Street (Edinburgh) used to serve an
inexpensive lunch in their cafeteria - tatties, neeps, and haggis. It
was delicious, and definitely not aimed at tourists.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-11-18 1:34 p.m., Pamela wrote:
> On 19:48 18 Nov 2018, Brice > wrote in
> :
>
>> On Sun, 18 Nov 2018 18:45:59 GMT, Pamela >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On 18:41 18 Nov 2018, Brice > wrote in
>>> :

>>> Is that aborigine country?

>> The politically correct answer is that it's all Aborigine country, but
>> there are more Aborigines up north.

> I saw a series on the telly where the presenter went around making bush
> tucker. I suppose there might be something that's vaguely palatable
> although I can't say I'm tempted to try any. Have you?
>
> Scottish food has some notoriously unhealthy preparations. After all, this
> it the home of the deep fried Mars Bar.

All Scottish cuisine is based on a dare! (Mike Meyers)