Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Canned Peas

On 2018-11-15 5:00 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 11/14/2018 2:32 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>> I used canned kidney beans, blck beans, Navy beans, etc.Â* I prefer
>> using frozen corn for many things, but don't have a problem with
>> using canned.Â* Canned green peas are altogether different and totally
>> off my shoppng list, although I do buy them for David.Â* He really
>> likes the.
>>

> I'm sure my aversion to many canned vegetables is due to eating them as
> a child in the 1960's.Â* There wasn't the vast array of frozen vegetables
> like there are now, at least not at the military commissaries where Mom
> shopped.

There was a lot more frozen stuff available in the 60s that there were
in the 50s. Few people in the 50s had chest freezers and the freezer
section of the refrigerator was big enough for an ice cube tray, a pint
of ice cream and a couple cans of orange juice concentrate. The grocery
stores were full of canned goods. We had a great selection of canned
fruits and canned vegetables, but not much selection of frozen food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/15/2018 4:59 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-11-15 1:35 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 11/15/2018 1:00 PM, graham wrote:
>>

>>> I'm trying to adapt to retirement but it's difficult.

>> Yes, it took me almost an entire day.Â* Getting up at 7:30 is better
>> than 5:30.
>> I still see a couple of the people though, purely a social get
>> together after working with them about 27 years.

> I worked out of a satellite office. We used to go there to pick up our
> vehicles and then hit the road. I wasn't going to go there for 7 am or 4
> pm just to say hello and good byre.Â* Our district office is 40 miles
> from here. I stopped by one day aboutÂ* three years after I retired. My
> colleagues were out on the road and there had been a complete change of
> office staff.

I don't think Ed meant he returned to the office just to see people he
used to work with. He said "social" get togethers with people he used
to work with.

Heck, I'm still in touch with a number of people I worked with in
Memphis. If I was there we'd probably get together for lunch or whatnot
once in a while. As it is, email suffices.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 23:15:15 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Thu 15 Nov 2018 11:00:34a, graham told us...

>>> I am retired and still making typos.
>>>

>> I'm trying to adapt to retirement but it's difficult.

>Adapt? I couldn't wait to fly out the door and arrive at home, and I
>never looked back. I left work on a Thursday, stayed up late that
>night and got up Friday morning around 9AM. I keep a lazy schedule,
>doing what I need to do and doing what I want to do. Now I have
>enough time for friends, cooking and baking, writing computer
>programs, looking for antiques, and occasional traveling. Life is
>good!

Ok, now I want to retire too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-11-15 5:00 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 11/14/2018 2:32 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> I used canned kidney beans, blck beans, Navy beans, etc. I prefer
>>> using frozen corn for many things, but don't have a problem with
>>> using canned. Canned green peas are altogether different and totally
>>> off my shoppng list, although I do buy them for David. He really
>>> likes the.
>>>

>> I'm sure my aversion to many canned vegetables is due to eating them
>> as a child in the 1960's. There wasn't the vast array of frozen
>> vegetables like there are now, at least not at the military
>> commissaries where Mom shopped.

> There was a lot more frozen stuff available in the 60s that there were
> in the 50s. Few people in the 50s had chest freezers and the freezer
> section of the refrigerator was big enough for an ice cube tray, a pint
> of ice cream and a couple cans of orange juice concentrate. The grocery
> stores were full of canned goods. We had a great selection of canned
> fruits and canned vegetables, but not much selection of frozen food.

You're talking about toronto right?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/15/2018 6:07 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 11/15/2018 4:59 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> Yes, it took me almost an entire day.Â* Getting up at 7:30 is better
>>> than 5:30.
>>> I still see a couple of the people though, purely a social get
>>> together after working with them about 27 years.

>> I worked out of a satellite office. We used to go there to pick up our
>> vehicles and then hit the road. I wasn't going to go there for 7 am or
>> 4 pm just to say hello and good byre.Â* Our district office is 40 miles
>> from here. I stopped by one day aboutÂ* three years after I retired. My
>> colleagues were out on the road and there had been a complete change
>> of office staff.
>>

> I don't think Ed meant he returned to the office just to see people he
> used to work with.Â* He said "social" get togethers with people he used
> to work with.
>
> Heck, I'm still in touch with a number of people I worked with in
> Memphis.Â* If I was there we'd probably get together for lunch or whatnot
> once in a while.Â* As it is, email suffices.
>
> Jill

In 18 months I've been back to the office twice. Did not bother even
walking out to the shop.

There are a few people that I worked with that we still enjoy each
other's company. One in particular I see maybe twice a month. She
comes to the house and will spend and afternoon with us or we may go out
for the day. Monday, four of us met at McDs and had coffee after their
work hours. We chatted about 90 minutes.

I've worked with Sue for 26 years, Dave about 23 years, Kristen only 2
years. These are people that I got to know and care about, while the
others are pretty much people I just worked with and had no outside
contact.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Thu 15 Nov 2018 11:00:34a, graham told us...

>> I'm trying to adapt to retirement but it's difficult.

> Adapt? I couldn't wait to fly out the door and arrive at home, and I
> never looked back. I left work on a Thursday, stayed up late that
> night and got up Friday morning around 9AM. I keep a lazy schedule,
> doing what I need to do and doing what I want to do. Now I have
> enough time for friends, cooking and baking, writing computer
> programs, looking for antiques, and occasional traveling. Life is
> good!

Exactly. I liked my job and chose to work until I was 71. The last
couple of years though, I did cut back to 4 days and then 3 days. Then
it was time to call it a day. I was offered a great deal to go in for
one day but chose not to.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pamela wrote:
> On 22:06 15 Nov 2018, Dave Smith > wrote in
> :

>>> My daily 11 o'clock outing was, and continues to be, to the YMCA to
>>> work out. That led to new acquaintances and new clothes that were 2
>>> sizes smaller than I wore when I retired.

>> I was the same. I would head out on the bicycle or to the Y.
>>

>>> I found new interests and now I'm as
>>> busy as I want to be and would not want to return to a job. I sure
>>> don't miss the office politics and intrigue that were part and parcel
>>> of being a senior manager at a large financial institution.

>> A few years before I retired we had to start wearing body armor on the
>> job. I hated that stuff. It was unbearably hot in the summer and just
>> made winter awkward as hell. I once suggested that they should have to
>> wear it in the district office and head office, and shut off the
>> furnace and the AC, but pointed out that it is only bullet resistant
>> and is not effective against a knife in the back. I don't miss work.

> Blimey. What were you doing?

Secret Agent man?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Nov 2018 15:44:12 -0600, Hank Rogers >
wrote:

>Pamela wrote:
>> On 22:06 15 Nov 2018, Dave Smith > wrote in
>> :

>>> I was the same. I would head out on the bicycle or to the Y.

>>> A few years before I retired we had to start wearing body armor on the
>>> job. I hated that stuff. It was unbearably hot in the summer and just
>>> made winter awkward as hell. I once suggested that they should have to
>>> wear it in the district office and head office, and shut off the
>>> furnace and the AC, but pointed out that it is only bullet resistant
>>> and is not effective against a knife in the back. I don't miss work.

>> Blimey. What were you doing?
>>

>Secret Agent man?

I think he had to weigh trucks to see if they were overloaded. And do
they check how long truck drivers drive without a break in Canada?

Two Peas In A Pod Brooklyn1 General Cooking 25 06-04-2013 05:42 PM
Mmm... Peas! Julie Bove Diabetic 24 19-05-2009 02:44 AM
Canned Apples and Canned Peaches [email protected] General Cooking 0 05-10-2006 11:27 PM
peas and thank you Julia Altshuler General Cooking 15 05-07-2004 09:11 PM
peas and thank you Julia Altshuler General Cooking 5 02-07-2004 06:53 PM