Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Boxed Meal Kits?

"Hank Rogers" wrote in message news
Ophelia wrote:

> "Hank Rogers" wrote in message news > Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Cheri" wrote in message news >>

>>> A whole head of lettuce is usually less than a preshedded bag.
>>> You also get more very fresh for the money.
>>> Even if you don't use it all, it's still cheaper to buy whole.
>>>
>>> When I buy a whole head, it's usually on sale for about $1.00. As
>>> I know it might go bad before I use it, I actually plan meals
>>> around it as to use it up before it goes off. Keep it no more
>>> than a week at the longest... use within 3-4 days is best.

>> When I don't use it all and it become rusty, I feed it to the worms in
>> compost pile.
>>
>> Cheri
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Yes, that is where ours ends up )
>>
>> BTW is the lettuce you buy wrapped in cellophane/clear plastic? I found
>> that if I take it off and wrap it myself in paper towels, it lasts a lot
>> longer in the fridge!
>>

> Sounds like a plan ... but then I realized all the paper towels would
> cost as much as the lettuce
>
> ==
>
> Really??

Paper product here are expensive. 6 rolls for $9. There are cheaper
brands like sparkle, but not very good for general use (they dissolve
when wet).

Look at our prices in 'Home Bargains' if you can. They are
cheaper even for the top priced ones. We certainly don't feel they cost
more then a lettuce.

We buy the mid range which are soft and strong. They certainly
don't dissolve when wet That sounds horrible

Lettuce here is generally only about $1 per head. I don't know what it
costs there in old blighty though.

Sometimes the heads are small and light, but many times they are tightly
packed and very good.

Prices vary from different stores or time of years. Ours are
tightly packed too, and I take it all of when I get it home as I commented,

I always weigh them in my hand and buy the heaviest If none are
heavy I buy in a different store

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message news

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Hank Rogers" wrote in message news > Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Cheri" wrote in message news >>

>>> A whole head of lettuce is usually less than a preshedded bag.
>>> You also get more very fresh for the money.
>>> Even if you don't use it all, it's still cheaper to buy whole.
>>>
>>> When I buy a whole head, it's usually on sale for about $1.00. As
>>> I know it might go bad before I use it, I actually plan meals
>>> around it as to use it up before it goes off. Keep it no more
>>> than a week at the longest... use within 3-4 days is best.

>> When I don't use it all and it become rusty, I feed it to the worms in
>> compost pile.
>>
>> Cheri
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Yes, that is where ours ends up )
>>
>> BTW is the lettuce you buy wrapped in cellophane/clear plastic? I found
>> that if I take it off and wrap it myself in paper towels, it lasts a lot
>> longer in the fridge!
>>

> Sounds like a plan ... but then I realized all the paper towels would cost
> as much as the lettuce
>
> ==
>
> Really??

Paper towels aren't cheap any more. You can get store brands for around $1 a
roll but they're small and not always good quality.

==

I don't really notice the price ours so they can't be very much overpriced.
We always buy ours in a 'cheap' store anyway. I tend to get the mid range
so they are strong enough as well as cheap

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" wrote in message news >
>
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Hank Rogers" wrote in message news >> Ophelia wrote:

>>> When I don't use it all and it become rusty, I feed it to the worms in
>>> compost pile.
>>>
>>> Cheri
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Yes, that is where ours ends up )
>>>
>>> BTW is the lettuce you buy wrapped in cellophane/clear plastic? I found
>>> that if I take it off and wrap it myself in paper towels, it lasts a lot
>>> longer in the fridge!
>>>

>> Sounds like a plan ... but then I realized all the paper towels would
>> cost as much as the lettuce
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Really??

> Paper towels aren't cheap any more. You can get store brands for around $1
> roll but they're small and not always good quality.
>
> ==
>
> I don't really notice the price ours so they can't be very much
> overpriced. We always buy ours in a 'cheap' store anyway. I tend to get
> the mid range so they are strong enough as well as cheap

I used to be able to stock up on seasonal prints at markdown prices after
holidays. I didn't mind if they had pumpkins or eggs or Santas or whatever.
I think Albertsons and Safeway are the only places that sell those now. They
only get a small amount in so no overstock to mark down. I mainly buy paper
goods online. Cheaper price but I have to buy a lot at once.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "Julie Bove" wrote:
> Paper towels aren't cheap any more. You can get store brands for around $1 a
> roll but they're small and not always good quality.
>
> ==
>
> I don't really notice the price ours so they can't be very much overpriced.
> We always buy ours in a 'cheap' store anyway. I tend to get the mid range
> so they are strong enough as well as cheap

I shop at one of two stores here now. Both have a version of
cheap paper towels. They are smaller rolls than some but both
cost only 50 cents a roll and are a much better price.

One store (food lion, for Carol here) sells their store brand for
50c but they are very stiff and not so fun to use.
Other store (Harris Teeter, for Carol here) sells a brand for 50c
and they are nice and soft and the best deal around this area,
imo. "SPA" brand paper towels.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" wrote in message news >
>
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Hank Rogers" wrote in message news >> Ophelia wrote:

>>> When I don't use it all and it become rusty, I feed it to the worms in
>>> compost pile.
>>>
>>> Cheri
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Yes, that is where ours ends up )
>>>
>>> BTW is the lettuce you buy wrapped in cellophane/clear plastic? I found
>>> that if I take it off and wrap it myself in paper towels, it lasts a lot
>>> longer in the fridge!
>>>

>> Sounds like a plan ... but then I realized all the paper towels would
>> cost as much as the lettuce
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Really??

> Paper towels aren't cheap any more. You can get store brands for around $1
> roll but they're small and not always good quality.
>
> ==
>
> I don't really notice the price ours so they can't be very much
> overpriced. We always buy ours in a 'cheap' store anyway. I tend to get
> the mid range so they are strong enough as well as cheap

I used to be able to stock up on seasonal prints at markdown prices after
holidays. I didn't mind if they had pumpkins or eggs or Santas or whatever.
I think Albertsons and Safeway are the only places that sell those now. They
only get a small amount in so no overstock to mark down. I mainly buy paper
goods online. Cheaper price but I have to buy a lot at once.
==

I will have a look! Thanks for that!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote:

> "Julie Bove" wrote:
> Paper towels aren't cheap any more. You can get store brands for around $1
> roll but they're small and not always good quality.
>
> ==
>
> I don't really notice the price ours so they can't be very much
> overpriced.
> We always buy ours in a 'cheap' store anyway. I tend to get the mid range
> so they are strong enough as well as cheap

I shop at one of two stores here now. Both have a version of
cheap paper towels. They are smaller rolls than some but both
cost only 50 cents a roll and are a much better price.

One store (food lion, for Carol here) sells their store brand for
50c but they are very stiff and not so fun to use.
Other store (Harris Teeter, for Carol here) sells a brand for 50c
and they are nice and soft and the best deal around this area,
imo. "SPA" brand paper towels.

==

I wonder if Hank has those stores near him! He seems to be paying a lot for
his!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/26/2018 10:19 PM, barbie gee wrote:

> I've seen bananas in a few places in a store, most often by the
> breakfast cereals as well as the produce section.
>
> It's confusing.

Why? Many people put bananas on cereal so it is handy to have some
there as well as in the produce section.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"barbie gee" > wrote in message
hcrg.pbz...

> On Thu, 8 Nov 2018, tert in seattle wrote:
>
>> writes:
>>> I took my friend shopping yesterday to a Fred Meyer that was just
>>> remodeled.
>>> For those not familiar with Fred Meyer, they are one of those stores
>>> that
>>> sells most everything. They recently began selling some items online.
>>> This
>>> particular store said the remodel was so they could sell a greater
>>> variety
>>> of of food but they had to cut back on other things.
>>>
>>> The new layout makes no sense. The entire back of the grocery section
>>> zigzags around with things like meat and dairy products but there are
>>> odd,
>>> free standing coolers of things like ham. Makes it super hard to find
>>> stuff.
>>> Even the produce section has a weird layout.

>> My fred meyer puts the same stuff in more than one location - and I
>> don't mean the organic stuff separate from non, I mean the same brown
>> eggs are in two separate places, the same milk, the same pepperoni,
>> the same Lay's chips. They recently shifted the bacon (which is all in
>> one place) about eight feet to the right. There may be a method but it's
>> not centered on the shopper's convenience.
>>

> I've seen bananas in a few places in a store, most often by the breakfast
> cereals as well as the produce section.
>
> It's confusing.

A lot of stores do that. Increases sales.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 11/26/2018 10:19 PM, barbie gee wrote:
>>

>> I've seen bananas in a few places in a store, most often by the breakfast
>> cereals as well as the produce section.
>>
>> It's confusing.
>>

> Why? Many people put bananas on cereal so it is handy to have some there
> as well as in the produce section.

Agree. What I dislike is when a store puts a product in a weird section and
not at all where you think it would be. Example: Central Market has a
section of Mexican foods. But there are no beans there. All beans including
refried are in the bean section.

Another example at the same sto Fortune cookies are on the aisle with
Japanese breads. Not in the section with Asian cookies and candies. And you
have to buy a ton. They do not sell the box of a dozen like other stores do.

Another example. They have cheese in three different places. Used to be
four. They used to have alternative/dairy free cheese in the vegan
refrigerated section. Now they are in the dairy case with the mostly cheaper
cheeses. And yet... They have a cheese case that carries importer and local
cheeses such as Beecher's. It's on the other side of the store from the
dairy case. You will find imported butter over there. Then there is the deli
dept. where you can get more cheese. Oh and I forgot the cold food bar. If
you want fresh Mozzarella, it's over there.

I'm all for convenient product placement. But please also put the damned
stuff where it belongs or at least put up a sign directing people to the
other aisle or aisles where we might find the product.

Central Market has butter in three different places. The two I just
mentioned and and end cap. There you will find the chef's portions or
whatever you call the large, oddly shaped almost rectangles in huge amounts,
wrapped in waxed paper.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27 Nov 2018, barbie gee wrote
(in article<alpine.DEB.2.10.1811262118250.28291@sghcrg .sghcrg.pbz>):

> On Thu, 8 Nov 2018, tert in seattle wrote:
>
> > writes:
> > > I took my friend shopping yesterday to a Fred Meyer that was just
> > > remodeled.
> > > For those not familiar with Fred Meyer, they are one of those stores that
> > > sells most everything. They recently began selling some items online. This
> > > particular store said the remodel was so they could sell a greater variety
> > > of of food but they had to cut back on other things.
> > >
> > > The new layout makes no sense. The entire back of the grocery section
> > > zigzags around with things like meat and dairy products but there are odd,
> > > free standing coolers of things like ham. Makes it super hard to find
> > > stuff.
> > > Even the produce section has a weird layout.

> > My fred meyer puts the same stuff in more than one location - and I
> > don't mean the organic stuff separate from non, I mean the same brown
> > eggs are in two separate places, the same milk, the same pepperoni,
> > the same Lay's chips. They recently shifted the bacon (which is all in
> > one place) about eight feet to the right. There may be a method but it's
> > not centered on the shopper's convenience.

> I've seen bananas in a few places in a store, most often by the breakfast
> cereals as well as the produce section.
>
> It's confusing.

Fortunately, we dont have too much of that in the UK..... yet.

The nearest we get is that town centre supermarkets have an area which caters
for office workers grabbing lunch, or something for dinner; so we get a small
amount of various food displayed there - apples and bananas next to
sandwiches and bottled soft drinks, for instance.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

writes:

>>> My fred meyer puts the same stuff in more than one location - and I
>>> don't mean the organic stuff separate from non, I mean the same brown
>>> eggs are in two separate places, the same milk, the same pepperoni,
>>> the same Lay's chips. They recently shifted the bacon (which is all in
>>> one place) about eight feet to the right. There may be a method but it's
>>> not centered on the shopper's convenience.
>>>

>> I've seen bananas in a few places in a store, most often by the breakfast
>> cereals as well as the produce section.
>>
>> It's confusing.

> you know what is most scattered all over my fred meyer? alcohol

No matter where you go, you can get some booze!
hah!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

writes:

>>> My fred meyer puts the same stuff in more than one location - and I
>>> don't mean the organic stuff separate from non, I mean the same brown
>>> eggs are in two separate places, the same milk, the same pepperoni,
>>> the same Lay's chips. They recently shifted the bacon (which is all in
>>> one place) about eight feet to the right. There may be a method but it's
>>> not centered on the shopper's convenience.
>>>

>> I've seen bananas in a few places in a store, most often by the breakfast
>> cereals as well as the produce section.
>>
>> It's confusing.

> you know what is most scattered all over my fred meyer? alcohol

Does Popeye live nearby?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

writes:

>>> My fred meyer puts the same stuff in more than one location - and I
>>> don't mean the organic stuff separate from non, I mean the same brown
>>> eggs are in two separate places, the same milk, the same pepperoni,
>>> the same Lay's chips. They recently shifted the bacon (which is all in
>>> one place) about eight feet to the right. There may be a method but it's
>>> not centered on the shopper's convenience.
>>>

>> I've seen bananas in a few places in a store, most often by the breakfast
>> cereals as well as the produce section.
>>
>> It's confusing.

> you know what is most scattered all over my fred meyer? alcohol

Wegmans does that with wine. The hard stuff is in its own section, but
wine is with meats, produce, cheeses, etc.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

news

writes:

>>> My fred meyer puts the same stuff in more than one location - and I
>>> don't mean the organic stuff separate from non, I mean the same brown
>>> eggs are in two separate places, the same milk, the same pepperoni,
>>> the same Lay's chips. They recently shifted the bacon (which is all in
>>> one place) about eight feet to the right. There may be a method but it's
>>> not centered on the shopper's convenience.
>>>

>>I've seen bananas in a few places in a store, most often by the breakfast
>>cereals as well as the produce section.
>>
>>It's confusing.

> you know what is most scattered all over my fred meyer? alcohol

That's true.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, November 27, 2018 at 12:40:04 PM UTC-6, tert in seattle wrote:
> you know what is most scattered all over my fred meyer? alcohol

POISON!! SCATTERED POISONS!!

And no human in the HISTORY OF HUMANITY has ever died from smoking too much cannabis!!

John Kuthe, RN, BSN, Cannabis Nurse wannabe!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, November 29, 2018 at 9:52:27 AM UTC-5, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 27, 2018 at 12:40:04 PM UTC-6, tert in seattle wrote:
> > you know what is most scattered all over my fred meyer? alcohol

> POISON!! SCATTERED POISONS!!
>
> And no human in the HISTORY OF HUMANITY has ever died from smoking too much cannabis!!
>
> John Kuthe, RN, BSN, Cannabis Nurse wannabe!

That you know of.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/7/2018 11:06 PM, Cheri wrote:

> when I opened it to transfer to a container, it said on the top of the
> bag to resist eating it until it's cooked, duh, does anyone really need
> that instruction?

Someone at Gold Medal got the attorney's involved.

Attorney's figure the person paying them should be "quadruple
protected". That means stuff stated for morons. That means stupid
stuff like, "Resist eating until cooked" and "Do NOT use this hair dryer
in shower", etc.

It's an attorney's thought processes (or what they were taught in law
school). If it is not a disclaimer on the product, their client will
surely be sued.

Same with brand-names. Go after anyone even suggesting copying a
brand-name. Koo-Koo Cola sounds ALMOST like Coca-Cola, so sue 'em!
You'll be sorry if you don't!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote:
> On 11/7/2018 11:06 PM, Cheri wrote:
>
>> when I opened it to transfer to a container, it said on the top of the
>> bag to resist eating it until it's cooked, duh, does anyone really need
>> that instruction?

> Someone at Gold Medal got the attorney's involved.
>
> Attorney's figure the person paying them should be "quadruple
> protected". That means stuff stated for morons. That means stupid
> stuff like, "Resist eating until cooked" and "Do NOT use this hair dryer
> in shower", etc.
>
> It's an attorney's thought processes (or what they were taught in law
> school). If it is not a disclaimer on the product, their client will
> surely be sued.
>
> Same with brand-names. Go after anyone even suggesting copying a
> brand-name. Koo-Koo Cola sounds ALMOST like Coca-Cola, so sue 'em!
> You'll be sorry if you don't!
>
> nb

https://amp.livescience.com/55336-wh...-you-sick.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-11-29, Jinx the Minx > wrote:

> https://amp.livescience.com/55336-wh...-you-sick.html

Raw eggs, my ass!

That "flour" got near some E. Coli (the bad stuff is "crap"
originated). That means the flour was stored near some CAFO crap.
CAFO means "Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations" (is there anyone,
here, who doesn't know that?).

These CAFO's are becoming a huge problem in the USA. They cause
"E. Coli" outbreaks, "dead zones", and a host of other problems. Bad
mojo! It's why you get yer chicken so cheap (I'll not discuss the
"wings" issue).

nb