Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The Apocalypse Is Upon Us

On Tuesday, October 23, 2018 at 5:36:49 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> Living only two
> miles from the pumping station I can have a load of water delivered
> withing 24 hours. I only needed to buy one load (2500 gal) last year.
> That cost me $80, so that was my water bill for the year.

Not a bad price at all for that much water. How long, with normal usage,
would 2500 gallons last you?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/23/18 3:44 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> Right but when it's empty you still need pumps and electricity.

>> That's true, but they usually have enough in them to supply water
>> during power outages and emergencies. I imagine that they have backup
>> pumps.
>>

> Â* Oops...Â* I meant back up generators.Â* They can also use gas or diesel
> pumps to supply the towers.

If available. No infrastructure is disaster proof. And delivery is only
one of the possible issues.

jay
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 10:07:49 -0400, Nancy Young >
wrote:

>On 10/23/2018 6:04 PM, wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 10:43:58 -0400, Nancy Young >
>> wrote:

>>> I've thought of getting a rain barrel but never did.

>> A rain barrel is fine for watering plants but not good for
>> consumption...

>I would never think to drink water from a rain barrel.
>
>>rain water contains all sorts of chemicals and water in
>> a barrel is stagnent so quickly becomes polluted with all sorts of
>> organisms. Nancy, you'd be much better off drinking pop or beer.

>It would strictly be fore watering the gardens.
>> don't buy bottled water for drinking, if I have to drink bottled I
>> much prefer seltza. I figure half diet sprite and half vodka is
>> pretty safe. I recently bought diet sprite cranberry, a loser.

>That diet soda will kill you. I still drink it once in a while.
>Knock wood I haven't had to use emergency water after any hurricanes
>or noreasters. Only once had to boil my water, That's a pain in
>the neck.
>
>nancy

We don't have municipal water, we have our own wells, we have two
wells. The one for our house uses a UV lamp to kill organisms and
then the water for drinking goes through the RO filter. The rest of
the water used for bathing/washing goes through the water softener.
The second well produces twice the volume (~20 gallons per minute) but
it's substantially harder water, used for watering plants and washing
vehicals. We also have some natural water sources on this property,
there are two natural springs and a we have a creek, contains all
sorts of critters; fish, frogs, etc. Lots of wildlife drinks at the
creek and also hunt fish, frogs, etc.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:

> Our previous place had a shared private water supply that ocasionally
> ran out for assorted reasons (always different, and as the fault might
> lie anywhere across a mile of wild moorland, it took time and ingenuity
> to identify locate and fix, which we had to do ourselves because no
> contractor would even consider taking it on.
> We had water butts filled by rain from roof, which we used for
> flushing lavs and washing when the pipeline failed. If the butts ran dry
> we fetched water in buckets from the river. My next door neighbour's
> sole source of water, for everything, was buckets from the river. He'd
> lived like that all his life and was fit and well so I was happy to
> drink boiled river water.
> In my teens we lived with my grandfather who also had a rural house
> with zero plumbing (my Grandmother raised 7 kids and never had a tap,
> washing machine or a flush lav in her life). It all came in buckets
> fetched from a communal shared hand pump in the garden. Useful
> experience for when our own water system packed in; I can bathe myself
> (and children) standing in a plastic washing up bowl. I did the laundry
> outside by hand in a tin tub and everybody wore their pants for two days
> then turned them inside out and wore them again.
> Here we're on mains public water supply (from boreholes) , what
> luxury. Rare service interruptions are for a couple of hours during
> maintenance work, with advance warning so I can fill pans and a bath and
> have enough drining, cooking, and flushing water.
>
> When I turn on a tap and clean hot water comes out, I often think of my
> grandmother, who never had that experience.
>
> Janet UK.

Thanks for that interesting story, Janet. I enjoyed reading it.