Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Death of American Cheese?

Ophelia wrote:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Julie Bove wrote:
>

> >"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> > news

> >> Sadly, that seems to be the case. American cheese isn't limited to
> >> Kraft individually wrapped slices of plasticized cheese food.
> > >
> >> I'm thrilled "young people" are discovering imported cheeses. But
> >> that's not a reason to declare ware on real American cheese. I'm
> >> sure lots of dairy farmers would agree with me.
> > >
> >> Look at the places the article is talking about. Wendy's. Panera
> >> Bread. I've eaten at Cracker Barrel but I never ordered their mac
> >> & cheese. These are millenials who don't cook. Despite the
> >> article, they don't get to dictate what's available for me to buy
> >> at the store.

> > I'm not a cheese snob although I have found a few to be too sharp or
> > mild for my tastes. I generally buy whatever I find the best deal
> > on. If I get something that's too sharp, I can mix it with mild or
> > vice versa. I do keep certain ones almost all the time. Those would
> > be med. cheddar, Swiss, gouda, mozzarella, Parmesan and Feta.

> I am a self admitted cheese snob but i stock the common things you
> list as well.
>
> Meantime, a bean pot!
>
> So it's a little chilly and feels right.
>
> 16oz White beans
> 1.5lbs 'seasoning meat' from the Farmers Market (foot of Dam Neck)
> 1 large onion
> 1TB minced dried garlic
> 3ts granulated roasted garlic
> 2ts garlic salt
> 2ts Tandoori blend seasoning (fairly spicy)
> Water to cover plus 2 inches for now, add more at need later
>
> Set in crock pot on high for now. Totally sniffilicious!
> ==
>
> Please describe 'seasoning meat'?
>

> ---

> [I am being impersonated. Please check my e-mail address]

Can't really because they don't but here is what I suspect. Fatty side
smoked cured pork with some of the rind on it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Julie Bove wrote:
>

> >"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> > news

> >> Sadly, that seems to be the case. American cheese isn't limited to
> >> Kraft individually wrapped slices of plasticized cheese food.
> > >
> >> I'm thrilled "young people" are discovering imported cheeses. But
> >> that's not a reason to declare ware on real American cheese. I'm
> >> sure lots of dairy farmers would agree with me.
> > >
> >> Look at the places the article is talking about. Wendy's. Panera
> >> Bread. I've eaten at Cracker Barrel but I never ordered their mac
> >> & cheese. These are millenials who don't cook. Despite the
> >> article, they don't get to dictate what's available for me to buy
> >> at the store.

> > I'm not a cheese snob although I have found a few to be too sharp or
> > mild for my tastes. I generally buy whatever I find the best deal
> > on. If I get something that's too sharp, I can mix it with mild or
> > vice versa. I do keep certain ones almost all the time. Those would
> > be med. cheddar, Swiss, gouda, mozzarella, Parmesan and Feta.

> I am a self admitted cheese snob but i stock the common things you
> list as well.
>
> Meantime, a bean pot!
>
> So it's a little chilly and feels right.
>
> 16oz White beans
> 1.5lbs 'seasoning meat' from the Farmers Market (foot of Dam Neck)
> 1 large onion
> 1TB minced dried garlic
> 3ts granulated roasted garlic
> 2ts garlic salt
> 2ts Tandoori blend seasoning (fairly spicy)
> Water to cover plus 2 inches for now, add more at need later
>
> Set in crock pot on high for now. Totally sniffilicious!
> ==
>
> Please describe 'seasoning meat'?
>

> ---

> [I am being impersonated. Please check my e-mail address]

Can't really because they don't but here is what I suspect. Fatty side
smoked cured pork with some of the rind on it.
==

Oh ok, thanks) You say it is smoked? Ok)

If you enjoy it that is all that matters

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Ophelia wrote:
>

> > "cshenk" wrote in message
> >
> > Julie Bove wrote:

> cheese. >>> > > The kind you can get in the deli section of the
> supermarket. >>> > > Not processed American "cheese-food".

> to >>> Kraft individually wrapped slices of plasticized cheese food.

> >> I'm not a cheese snob although I have found a few to be too sharp

> or >> mild for my tastes. I generally buy whatever I find the best
> deal >> on. If I get something that's too sharp, I can mix it with
> mild or >> vice versa. I do keep certain ones almost all the time.
> Those would >> be med. cheddar, Swiss, gouda, mozzarella, Parmesan
> and Feta.
> >
> > I am a self admitted cheese snob but i stock the common things you
> > list as well.
> >
> > Meantime, a bean pot!
> >
> > So it's a little chilly and feels right.
> >
> > 16oz White beans
> > 1.5lbs 'seasoning meat' from the Farmers Market (foot of Dam Neck)
> > 1 large onion
> > 1TB minced dried garlic
> > 3ts granulated roasted garlic
> > 2ts garlic salt
> > 2ts Tandoori blend seasoning (fairly spicy)
> > Water to cover plus 2 inches for now, add more at need later
> >
> > Set in crock pot on high for now. Totally sniffilicious!
> > ==
> >
> > Please describe 'seasoning meat'?
> >

> > ---

> > [I am being impersonated. Please check my e-mail address]

> Can't really because they don't but here is what I suspect. Fatty side
> smoked cured pork with some of the rind on it.
> ==
>
> Oh ok, thanks) You say it is smoked? Ok)
>
> If you enjoy it that is all that matters

Sure! It's a totally local thing with it's own 'seasoning meat' label
on it. It's not far off a more well known southern 'black pepper smoked
hog jowl' but saltier.

I wouldnt look for it where you are. It's a pure local treatment and
anything of the same name, won't be the same item unless Gary decides
to go to the Farmers Market and Dam Neck and try it ;-) There's
probably 300 items across the USA called 'seasoning meat' that may be
similar and may not.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 6:49:13 PM UTC-4, cshenk wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:
>

> > "cshenk" wrote in message
> >
> > Ophelia wrote:

> > cheese. >>> > > The kind you can get in the deli section of the
> > supermarket. >>> > > Not processed American "cheese-food".

> > to >>> Kraft individually wrapped slices of plasticized cheese food.

> > or >> mild for my tastes. I generally buy whatever I find the best
> > deal >> on. If I get something that's too sharp, I can mix it with
> > mild or >> vice versa. I do keep certain ones almost all the time.
> > Those would >> be med. cheddar, Swiss, gouda, mozzarella, Parmesan
> > and Feta.
> > >
> > > I am a self admitted cheese snob but i stock the common things you
> > > list as well.
> > >
> > > Meantime, a bean pot!
> > >
> > > So it's a little chilly and feels right.
> > >
> > > 16oz White beans
> > > 1.5lbs 'seasoning meat' from the Farmers Market (foot of Dam Neck)
> > > 1 large onion
> > > 1TB minced dried garlic
> > > 3ts granulated roasted garlic
> > > 2ts garlic salt
> > > 2ts Tandoori blend seasoning (fairly spicy)
> > > Water to cover plus 2 inches for now, add more at need later
> > >
> > > Set in crock pot on high for now. Totally sniffilicious!
> > > ==
> > >
> > > Please describe 'seasoning meat'?
> > >

> > > ---

> > > [I am being impersonated. Please check my e-mail address]

> > Can't really because they don't but here is what I suspect. Fatty side
> > smoked cured pork with some of the rind on it.
> > ==
> >
> > Oh ok, thanks) You say it is smoked? Ok)
> >
> > If you enjoy it that is all that matters

> Sure! It's a totally local thing with it's own 'seasoning meat' label
> on it. It's not far off a more well known southern 'black pepper smoked
> hog jowl' but saltier.
>
> I wouldnt look for it where you are. It's a pure local treatment and
> anything of the same name, won't be the same item unless Gary decides
> to go to the Farmers Market and Dam Neck and try it ;-) There's
> probably 300 items across the USA called 'seasoning meat' that may be
> similar and may not.

Huh. I'll try to remember to look for it. I've never heard of
"seasoning meat" before, but I might simply have missed it.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Ophelia wrote:
>

> > "cshenk" wrote in message
> >
> > Julie Bove wrote:

> cheese. >>> > > The kind you can get in the deli section of the
> supermarket. >>> > > Not processed American "cheese-food".

> to >>> Kraft individually wrapped slices of plasticized cheese food.

> >> I'm not a cheese snob although I have found a few to be too sharp

> or >> mild for my tastes. I generally buy whatever I find the best
> deal >> on. If I get something that's too sharp, I can mix it with
> mild or >> vice versa. I do keep certain ones almost all the time.
> Those would >> be med. cheddar, Swiss, gouda, mozzarella, Parmesan
> and Feta.
> >
> > I am a self admitted cheese snob but i stock the common things you
> > list as well.
> >
> > Meantime, a bean pot!
> >
> > So it's a little chilly and feels right.
> >
> > 16oz White beans
> > 1.5lbs 'seasoning meat' from the Farmers Market (foot of Dam Neck)
> > 1 large onion
> > 1TB minced dried garlic
> > 3ts granulated roasted garlic
> > 2ts garlic salt
> > 2ts Tandoori blend seasoning (fairly spicy)
> > Water to cover plus 2 inches for now, add more at need later
> >
> > Set in crock pot on high for now. Totally sniffilicious!
> > ==
> >
> > Please describe 'seasoning meat'?
> >

> > ---

> > [I am being impersonated. Please check my e-mail address]

> Can't really because they don't but here is what I suspect. Fatty side
> smoked cured pork with some of the rind on it.
> ==
>
> Oh ok, thanks) You say it is smoked? Ok)
>
> If you enjoy it that is all that matters

Sure! It's a totally local thing with it's own 'seasoning meat' label
on it. It's not far off a more well known southern 'black pepper smoked
hog jowl' but saltier.

I wouldnt look for it where you are. It's a pure local treatment and
anything of the same name, won't be the same item unless Gary decides
to go to the Farmers Market and Dam Neck and try it ;-) There's
probably 300 items across the USA called 'seasoning meat' that may be
similar and may not.
==

Thanks

---

[Fat Tony aka Pamela is impersonating me. Please check my e-mail address
which is NOT
]

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> cshenk wrote:
> > I wouldnt look for it where you are. It's a pure local treatment and
> > anything of the same name, won't be the same item unless Gary decides
> > to go to the Farmers Market and Dam Neck and try it ;-) There's
> > probably 300 items across the USA called 'seasoning meat' that may be
> > similar and may not.

> Huh. I'll try to remember to look for it. I've never heard of
> "seasoning meat" before, but I might simply have missed it.

As Carol said though, what you find will probably be completely
different seasoning. I should try it myself.

For Carol: 30 years ago, we used to go to that Farmers Market
every Friday. Is it still in the same place? Up on Princess Anne
Road? Just down the road from TCC. All the roads have been
completely changed since way back then. Damneck Road might very
well go west to the original place? I would be turning on Dam
Neck Road from General Boothe Blvd.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> [Fat Tony aka Pamela is impersonating me. Please check my e-mail address
> which is NOT ]

You keep on saying that but YOU might be the fake OPHY posting
under the authentic addy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote:

> [Fat Tony aka Pamela is impersonating me. Please check my e-mail address
> which is NOT ]

You keep on saying that but YOU might be the fake OPHY posting
under the authentic addy.

==

I am using that as my sig for obvious reasons. How would you like it if
someone keep forging your posts.

Anyway, after all these years, I think you know if I am really me!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Gary" wrote in message ...
>
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> [Fat Tony aka Pamela is impersonating me. Please check my e-mail address
>> which is NOT ]

> You keep on saying that but YOU might be the fake OPHY posting
> under the authentic addy.
>
> ==
>
> I am using that as my sig for obvious reasons. How would you like it if
> someone keep forging your posts.
>
> Anyway, after all these years, I think you know if I am really me!!

Nothing fun about it for sure, but to keep responding to their posts is the
attention they want.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 15, 2018 at 10:31:46 AM UTC-5, Cheri wrote:
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
> >

> > "Gary" wrote in message ...
> >
> > Ophelia wrote:
> >>
> >> [Fat Tony aka Pamela is impersonating me. Please check my e-mail address
> >> which is NOT ]

> > You keep on saying that but YOU might be the fake OPHY posting
> > under the authentic addy.
> >
> > ==
> >
> > I am using that as my sig for obvious reasons. How would you like it if
> > someone keep forging your posts.
> >
> > Anyway, after all these years, I think you know if I am really me!!

> Nothing fun about it for sure, but to keep responding to their posts is the
> attention they want.
>
> Cheri

And WE ARE HELPING!!! ;-)

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> On Monday, October 15, 2018 at 10:31:46 AM UTC-5, Cheri wrote:
>> "Ophelia" > wrote in message

>> > You keep on saying that but YOU might be the fake OPHY posting
>> > under the authentic addy.
>> >
>> > ==
>> >
>> > I am using that as my sig for obvious reasons. How would you like it
>> > if
>> > someone keep forging your posts.
>> >
>> > Anyway, after all these years, I think you know if I am really me!!

>> Nothing fun about it for sure, but to keep responding to their posts is
>> the
>> attention they want.
>>
>> Cheri

> And WE ARE HELPING!!! ;-)
>
> John Kuthe...

No WE are not.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Oct 2018 03:11:59 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 6:49:13 PM UTC-4, cshenk wrote:
>> Ophelia wrote:

>> > cheese. >>> > > The kind you can get in the deli section of the
>> > supermarket. >>> > > Not processed American "cheese-food".

>> > to >>> Kraft individually wrapped slices of plasticized cheese food.

>> > or >> mild for my tastes. I generally buy whatever I find the best
>> > deal >> on. If I get something that's too sharp, I can mix it with
>> > mild or >> vice versa. I do keep certain ones almost all the time.
>> > Those would >> be med. cheddar, Swiss, gouda, mozzarella, Parmesan
>> > and Feta.

I don't consider Fehta a cheese, reminds me of dried moulded yogurt
that got lost in the fridge for a few years.
I do like Land O' Lakes American cheese, makes a great ALT (American
Cheese, Lettuce, and Tomato) on lightly toasted rye with mayo... far
better than schtinky bacon. Yoose bacon lovers need to try Greek
style... BFLT (Bacon Fehta, Lettuce, and Tomato) stuffed into a pita.

>> > Can't really because they don't but here is what I suspect. Fatty side
>> > smoked cured pork with some of the rind on it.
>> > ==
>> >
>> > Oh ok, thanks) You say it is smoked? Ok)
>> >
>> > If you enjoy it that is all that matters

>> Sure! It's a totally local thing with it's own 'seasoning meat' label
>> on it. It's not far off a more well known southern 'black pepper smoked
>> hog jowl' but saltier.
>>
>> I wouldnt look for it where you are. It's a pure local treatment and
>> anything of the same name, won't be the same item unless Gary decides
>> to go to the Farmers Market and Dam Neck and try it ;-) There's
>> probably 300 items across the USA called 'seasoning meat' that may be
>> similar and may not.

>Huh. I'll try to remember to look for it. I've never heard of
>"seasoning meat" before, but I might simply have missed it.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

When cooking beans 'seasoning meat' likely
refers to smoked meat; ham/hocks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Gary" wrote in message ...
>
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> [Fat Tony aka Pamela is impersonating me. Please check my e-mail address
>> which is NOT ]

> You keep on saying that but YOU might be the fake OPHY posting
> under the authentic addy.
>
> ==
>
> I am using that as my sig for obvious reasons. How would you like it if
> someone keep forging your posts.
>
> Anyway, after all these years, I think you know if I am really me!!

Nothing fun about it for sure, but to keep responding to their posts is the
attention they want.

Cheri

=

Aye.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 15, 2018 at 11:11:43 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> When cooking beans 'seasoning meat' likely
> refers to smoked meat; ham/hocks.

Yes, smoke ham hocks; it does wonders for beans and greens.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > cshenk wrote:
> > > I wouldnt look for it where you are. It's a pure local treatment
> > > and anything of the same name, won't be the same item unless Gary
> > > decides to go to the Farmers Market and Dam Neck and try it ;-)
> > > There's probably 300 items across the USA called 'seasoning meat'
> > > that may be similar and may not.

> > Huh. I'll try to remember to look for it. I've never heard of
> > "seasoning meat" before, but I might simply have missed it.

> As Carol said though, what you find will probably be completely
> different seasoning. I should try it myself.
>
> For Carol: 30 years ago, we used to go to that Farmers Market
> every Friday. Is it still in the same place? Up on Princess Anne
> Road? Just down the road from TCC. All the roads have been
> completely changed since way back then. Damneck Road might very
> well go west to the original place? I would be turning on Dam
> Neck Road from General Boothe Blvd.

The foot of Rosemont (goes past TCC) meets with Dam Neck. Turn right
and it's on the right. The meat is from the butcher shop (only one in
there). It's also right on Dam Neck from General Boothe and about 6
miles or so to the Rosemonth intersection.

You'd follow Dam Neck until just after the Rosemont intersection then
if not the exact next right, you'd be able to see it's just past that.

Scracthing head, yes, they 'moved' Princess Anne a bit I think. I
think we had 2 and it caused confusion so they renamed the other one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Ophelia wrote:
>

> > "cshenk" wrote in message
> >
> > Ophelia wrote:

> melting >>>> > > > properties.

> >cheese. >>> > > The kind you can get in the deli section of the
> >supermarket. >>> > > Not processed American "cheese-food".

> >to >>> Kraft individually wrapped slices of plasticized cheese food.

> But >>>> that's not a reason to declare ware on real American
> cheese. I'm >>>> sure lots of dairy farmers would agree with me.

> Panera >>>> Bread. I've eaten at Cracker Barrel but I never ordered
> their mac >>>> & cheese. These are millenials who don't cook.
> Despite the >>>> article, they don't get to dictate what's available
> for me to buy >>>> at the store.

> >or >> mild for my tastes. I generally buy whatever I find the best
> >deal >> on. If I get something that's too sharp, I can mix it with
> >mild or >> vice versa. I do keep certain ones almost all the time.
> >Those would >> be med. cheddar, Swiss, gouda, mozzarella, Parmesan
> > and Feta.
> > >
> >> I am a self admitted cheese snob but i stock the common things you
> >> list as well.
> > >
> >> Meantime, a bean pot!
> > >
> >> So it's a little chilly and feels right.
> > >
> >> 16oz White beans
> >> 1.5lbs 'seasoning meat' from the Farmers Market (foot of Dam Neck)
> >> 1 large onion
> >> 1TB minced dried garlic
> >> 3ts granulated roasted garlic
> >> 2ts garlic salt
> >> 2ts Tandoori blend seasoning (fairly spicy)
> >> Water to cover plus 2 inches for now, add more at need later
> > >
> >> Set in crock pot on high for now. Totally sniffilicious!
> >> ==
> > >
> >> Please describe 'seasoning meat'?
> > >

> >> ---

> >> [I am being impersonated. Please check my e-mail address]

> > Can't really because they don't but here is what I suspect. Fatty
> > side smoked cured pork with some of the rind on it.
> > ==
> >
> > Oh ok, thanks) You say it is smoked? Ok)
> >
> > If you enjoy it that is all that matters

> Sure! It's a totally local thing with it's own 'seasoning meat' label
> on it. It's not far off a more well known southern 'black pepper
> smoked hog jowl' but saltier.
>
> I wouldnt look for it where you are. It's a pure local treatment and
> anything of the same name, won't be the same item unless Gary decides
> to go to the Farmers Market and Dam Neck and try it ;-) There's
> probably 300 items across the USA called 'seasoning meat' that may be
> similar and may not.
> ==
>
> Thanks
>

> ---
>
> [Fat Tony aka Pamela is impersonating me. Please check my e-mail
> address which is NOT
]

Not to worry, you probably have some local sorts of things just as
interesting. Smoked sausage with a bit of your type streaky bacon
might do very close to this.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

l not -l wrote:

> On 15-Oct-2018, wrote:
>
> > On Monday, October 15, 2018 at 11:11:43 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> > >
> > > When cooking beans 'seasoning meat' likely
> > > refers to smoked meat; ham/hocks.
> > >

> > Yes, smoke ham hocks; it does wonders for beans and greens.

> I had never seen meat labeled as seasoning meat; but, Friday I did
> see, and buy, a package of "ham seasoning". It is approx. one inch
> cubes of ham, which I guess were cut from scrap ends of ham. Another
> store always has "bacon scraps", ragged cuts from the ends of slabs
> sold at the "service meat" counter.
>
> I consider seasoning meat to be flavorful bits of smoked meats; my
> favorites, in order of preference, are pork shanks, tasso, jowl,
> bacon and ham hocks.

That would work for me! This is a simple local spicey spoked version.
Might be pork belly related but seems lean overall in looks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, October 12, 2018 at 2:12:54 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> "Millennials Kill Again. The Latest Victim? American Cheese"
>
> By Lydia Mulvany and Leslie Patton
>
> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...a-s-big-cheese
>
> First paragraphs:
>
> American cheese will never die. It has too many preservatives.
>
> But its melting away.
>
> One by one, Americas food outlets are abandoning the century-old American staple. In many cases, theyre replacing it with fancier cheeses.
>
> Panera Four Cheese Grilled Cheese
> Source: Panera Bread
>
> Wendys is offering asiago.

Cheese if forced on all burgers at Wendy's. No plain burger without cheese that costs less. That's why I patronize Shake Shack instead.

Also my breakfast place uses Kraft american as an ingredient "glue" in omelettes. It takes longer to cook if I ask for no-cheese. Since I am paying the same price as a cheese based order, I grab extra take home paper napkins in lieu of the foregone yellow arterial clogger.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 18, 2018 at 8:26:13 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> On Friday, October 12, 2018 at 2:12:54 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> > "Millennials Kill Again. The Latest Victim? American Cheese"
> >
> > By Lydia Mulvany and Leslie Patton
> >
> > https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...a-s-big-cheese
> >
> > First paragraphs:
> >
> > American cheese will never die. It has too many preservatives.
> >
> > But its melting away.
> >
> > One by one, Americas food outlets are abandoning the century-old American staple. In many cases, theyre replacing it with fancier cheeses.
> >
> > Panera Four Cheese Grilled Cheese
> > Source: Panera Bread
> >
> > Wendys is offering asiago.

> Cheese if forced on all burgers at Wendy's. No plain burger without cheese that costs less. That's why I patronize Shake Shack instead.
>
> Also my breakfast place uses Kraft american as an ingredient "glue" in omelettes. It takes longer to cook if I ask for no-cheese. Since I am paying the same price as a cheese based order, I grab extra take home paper napkins in lieu of the foregone yellow arterial clogger.

If you think the cost of ingredients entitles you to a lower price on
an order that requires extra labor, perhaps you should stop going to
restaurants.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-19 10:18 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> I've been saying "no cheese" all my life. I don't see why it
> bothers you and jgrove24.
>
> The only time I have cheese on a burger is my decennial Big Mac.
> It's so flavorless that it just doesn't matter.

I have had cheeseburgers in the past, an usually ended up suffering from
it, so just don't do it anymore. I have made exceptions for blue
cheese. If I order a burger in a restaurant they usually try to up sell
me to a cheeseburger but I don't see the point in paying extra for
something that is likely to be a negative experience.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 5:00:31 AM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 18, 2018 at 8:26:13 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> > On Friday, October 12, 2018 at 2:12:54 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> > > "Millennials Kill Again. The Latest Victim? American Cheese"
> > >
> > > By Lydia Mulvany and Leslie Patton
> > >
> > > https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...a-s-big-cheese
> > >
> > > First paragraphs:
> > >
> > > American cheese will never die. It has too many preservatives.
> > >
> > > But its melting away.
> > >
> > > One by one, Americas food outlets are abandoning the century-old American staple. In many cases, theyre replacing it with fancier cheeses.
> > >
> > > Panera Four Cheese Grilled Cheese
> > > Source: Panera Bread
> > >
> > > Wendys is offering asiago.

> > Cheese if forced on all burgers at Wendy's. No plain burger without cheese that costs less. That's why I patronize Shake Shack instead.
> >
> > Also my breakfast place uses Kraft american as an ingredient "glue" in omelettes. It takes longer to cook if I ask for no-cheese. Since I am paying the same price as a cheese based order, I grab extra take home paper napkins in lieu of the foregone yellow arterial clogger.

> If you think the cost of ingredients entitles you to a lower price on
> an order that requires extra labor, perhaps you should stop going to
> restaurants.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Its not extra labor to avoid placing a cheese slice, its less labor and less ingredients. Somehow Shake Shack and even McDonalds manage to offer a plain burger and higher priced cheeseburger. I use to go to a local downtown Chicago chain named M-Burger but they changed their menu and dropped the lower priced burger.

As for cooking omelettes, it just sits on the griddle longer while the cook starts another order. Again, less labor to place a cheese slice and less ingredient cost. Sometimes I'll order the special with Feta cheese because it includes toast.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, October 12, 2018 at 9:12:54 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> "Millennials Kill Again. The Latest Victim? American Cheese"
>
> By Lydia Mulvany and Leslie Patton
>
> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...a-s-big-cheese
>
> First paragraphs:
>
> American cheese will never die. It has too many preservatives.
>
> But its melting away.
>
> One by one, Americas food outlets are abandoning the century-old American staple. In many cases, theyre replacing it with fancier cheeses.
>
> Panera Four Cheese Grilled Cheese
> Source: Panera Bread
>
> Wendys is offering asiago. A&Ws Canada locations switched to real cheddar. McDonalds is selling the Big Macs soft, orange square of American cheese with a version that doesnt contain artificial preservatives. Cracker Barrel ditched its old-fashioned grilled cheese. So did Panera Bread, replacing American with a four-cheese combo of fontina, cheddar, monteau and smoked gouda. The result: higher sales.
>
> American cheese is €śan ingredient were looking to less and less in our pantry,€ť said Sara Burnett, the chains director of wellness and food policy...
>
> (snip)
>

> I never liked it - it sticks to your teeth!
>
> And one time, when I asked the tall, stocky middle-aged man at the deli counter "what cheese ends do you have today" he kept balking - and asking "what type are you looking for for?" I finally said, coldly: "The reason I'm asking is, the last time I was here, someone tried to slip me American cheese when I SAID I didn't want it."
>

> Lenona.

I was surprised to find some Velveeta Mini-blocks in the fridge. My daughter bought it. She says that she got it to melt on broccoli. That should be interesting. The Mini Blocks are 4 oz slabs of individually wrapped cheese substance. Sliced Velveeta is the greatest invention since sliced bread. Making it a handy size might be the only thing needed to make this product relevant to a younger generation.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-19, l not -l > wrote:

> ,,,,, I simply like hamburgers much better than
> cheeseburgers, except a change of pace patty melt.

That's it, isn't it? What do you WANT!

With me, it's the quality of cheese at a particular location.
In-and-Out Burger, I wouldn't even think about ordering w/o cheese.
Gotta be a Double-Double, at the very least. Double-Beef, Double
Cheese. Anywhere else and I'd be asking fer jes a burger, please.
Be checkin' out the cheese on the sly (patty melt).

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 23 Dec 2018 notbob wrote:
>On 2018-12-19, l not wrote:
>
>>I simply like hamburgers much better than
>>cheeseburgers, except a change of pace patty melt.

>That's it, isn't it? What do you WANT!
>
>With me, it's the quality of cheese at a particular location.
>In-and-Out Burger, I wouldn't even think about ordering w/o cheese.
>Gotta be a Double-Double, at the very least. Double-Beef, Double
>Cheese. Anywhere else and I'd be asking fer jes a burger, please.
>Be checkin' out the cheese on the sly (patty melt).

Huh? All fast foods and most eateries serve mystery meat burgers and
cheese food (not even a dairy product). Only real difference is some
eateries serve a better bun.
Many years ago when I was a kid growing up in Brooklyn prior to the
advent of preformed frozen burgers restaurants ordered ground beef
from a nearby butcher fresh every day and made their own by hand,
never premade or frozen. Buns were ordered from a nearby bakery, made
fresh every day. Fancy schmancy restaurants and luncheonettes did
likewise. After my paper route I'd stop at Sid's Luncheonette for a
burger, Sid used an icecream scoop to measure out a burger and quickly
formed it by hand and slapped it on the griddle. Could have any roll
from an assortment in a glass case on the counter; Kaiser, onion,
sesame. plain. A burger was 25˘, came with a spear of real fermented
pickle and could have a slab of Bermuda onyon if desired. Sids hands
were scrupulously clean from hand washing glasses and plates all day.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On 23 Dec 2018 notbob wrote:
>> On 2018-12-19, l not wrote:
>>
>>> I simply like hamburgers much better than
>>> cheeseburgers, except a change of pace patty melt.

>> That's it, isn't it? What do you WANT!
>>
>> With me, it's the quality of cheese at a particular location.
>> In-and-Out Burger, I wouldn't even think about ordering w/o cheese.
>> Gotta be a Double-Double, at the very least. Double-Beef, Double
>> Cheese. Anywhere else and I'd be asking fer jes a burger, please.
>> Be checkin' out the cheese on the sly (patty melt).

> Huh? All fast foods and most eateries serve mystery meat burgers and
> cheese food (not even a dairy product). Only real difference is some
> eateries serve a better bun.
> Many years ago when I was a kid growing up in Brooklyn prior to the
> advent of preformed frozen burgers restaurants ordered ground beef
> from a nearby butcher fresh every day and made their own by hand,
> never premade or frozen. Buns were ordered from a nearby bakery, made
> fresh every day. Fancy schmancy restaurants and luncheonettes did
> likewise. After my paper route I'd stop at Sid's Luncheonette for a
> burger, Sid used an icecream scoop to measure out a burger and quickly
> formed it by hand and slapped it on the griddle. Could have any roll
> from an assortment in a glass case on the counter; Kaiser, onion,
> sesame. plain. A burger was 25˘, came with a spear of real fermented
> pickle and could have a slab of Bermuda onyon if desired. Sids hands
> were scrupulously clean from hand washing glasses and plates all day.

LIAR. No pic means yoose made the whole story up!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 5:07:16 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> On 23 Dec 2018 notbob wrote:
> >On 2018-12-19, l not wrote:
> >
> >>I simply like hamburgers much better than
> >>cheeseburgers, except a change of pace patty melt.

> >That's it, isn't it? What do you WANT!
> >
> >With me, it's the quality of cheese at a particular location.
> >In-and-Out Burger, I wouldn't even think about ordering w/o cheese.
> >Gotta be a Double-Double, at the very least. Double-Beef, Double
> >Cheese. Anywhere else and I'd be asking fer jes a burger, please.
> >Be checkin' out the cheese on the sly (patty melt).

> Huh? All fast foods and most eateries serve mystery meat burgers and
> cheese food (not even a dairy product). Only real difference is some
> eateries serve a better bun.
> Many years ago when I was a kid growing up in Brooklyn prior to the
> advent of preformed frozen burgers restaurants ordered ground beef
> from a nearby butcher fresh every day and made their own by hand,
> never premade or frozen. Buns were ordered from a nearby bakery, made
> fresh every day. Fancy schmancy restaurants and luncheonettes did
> likewise. After my paper route I'd stop at Sid's Luncheonette for a
> burger, Sid used an icecream scoop to measure out a burger and quickly
> formed it by hand and slapped it on the griddle. Could have any roll
> from an assortment in a glass case on the counter; Kaiser, onion,
> sesame. plain. A burger was 25¢, came with a spear of real fermented
> pickle and could have a slab of Bermuda onyon if desired. Sids hands
> were scrupulously clean from hand washing glasses and plates all day.

You need to patronize a better burger joint. We've got one that grinds
their own beef daily, one that gets their buns fresh every day from
a nearby bakery (and hand-pats their burgers). I don't make a comprehensive
study of the local burger offerings, but these are two that I know of
by observation.

Cindy Hamilton

The EU doesn't like American cheese. ImStillMags General Cooking 47 25-05-2014 03:24 AM
DIY American Cheese Tracy[_2_] General Cooking 12 27-01-2013 02:31 PM
American Cheese biig General Cooking 119 03-03-2012 01:47 PM
All-American Cheese Bread Duckie ® Recipes 0 04-07-2005 03:31 PM
American Cheese Pizza [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 20-10-2003 03:16 AM