Old 10-10-2018, 09:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default My chili secret

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Ophelia" wrote in message

Nahh! I smoked as a teenager, but stopped when I was pregnant and never
smoked since

I don't like the smell now, but of course what won't be true on everyone.

I do love the smell of cigarette smoke.

Cheri

==

) We are all different)

Old 10-10-2018, 10:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Wed 10 Oct 2018 10:09:34a, Jinx the Minx told us...

wrote:
On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 Jinx the Minx wrote:

Yep, they pretty much only bide time. I did the decompression
often (weekly) in between my first and second surgeries in order
to relieve the pressure on my nerves and alleviate the side
effects of nerve compression. I knew that it was not a long term
solution.

Usually by the age one develops spinal stenosis there will also
be much spinal arthritis and also disk bulging and disk
compression. I've been living with back pain for at least ten
years, Most neurologists I've been to warned against surgery as
it will produce scar tissue and even more surgeries will be
necessesary, plus in older people spinal surgery is not helpful
for very long. Naturally if you go to a surgeon (cut man) they
will recommend surgery, that's how then make a living. The
Neurologist I go to prescribed Meloxicam 15mg to help with the
arthritis and after a week it made a big difference. Of course
there's no gaurantee it will help everyone but it helped me...
something to discus with your primary care doctor as you can't
take Meloxicam if you have other conditions like heart, urinary
and vision. It's worth a shot, it's a very inexpensive drug, I
pay $6.35 for a thirty day supply. You can't take other NSAIDS
with it.

Im not old and Ive never injured my back, so I cant
explain why it got so bad so young. Most likely autoimmune
conditions causing it. For me, surgery ultimately was my only
option. It wasnt even so much the pain that was the biggest
issue but the nerve issues. My skin felt like I was constantly
having scalding water poured on it, and my feet and legs were
numb. I still need to be an active parent for some years, so I
had fix it.
Im permanently banned from taking any NSAIDs, and opioids
arent an
option, either. I dont know what the future holds in terms of
my back, but I Ill cross that bridge when I come to it.

I suspect that I'm considerably older than you. My stenosis was
diagnosed when I was 67 and I'm now 73. When then symtoms of
stenosis "hit" it was literally overnight. Depending on the severity
at the time I had to use a walker (with great difficulty) or a
wheelchair. I was lucky to find the pain management doctor I use now
as my symtoms are virtually gone, with only an occasionally flare up,
and even that isn't severe. I do have some very minor heart related
issues, miinor kidney issues, and Type 2 diabetes (well managed). I
do have diabetic neuropathy in my feet and hands but it only presents
as numbness and no pain. Due to other medications I absolutely
cannot take Meloxicam, but at at an earlier time when I could take
it, it didn't do much good. My partner David has been a Godsend, as
he is a few years younger, has fewer health issues, and is able to do
more of the heavier work around the house. However, I do all the
cooking and baking, and kitchen cleanup. I'm not allowed to get down
on my hands and knees on the floor or push an upright vacuum.
However, we have an iRobot Roomba vacuum that does routine vacuuming,
and David uses the upright for areas where the Roomba isn't
practical. All in all I consider myself lucky, as many people at my
age are in worse shape. Both my parents passed when in the 80s, and
my dad's mother was 101. My other grandparents were well into their
90s.

So... I wish for both of us the best. Stay as healthy as we can,
and take things one day at a time. IMO, that's the only way most
people should live, as one never knows what the future holds.

Sorry if there was TMI. :-)

Im 49, and Ive already had two back surgeries, and both of my knees have
been done, too. Living on borrowed time before getting them both replaced.
And Ive been diabetic since my early 30s. This getting old isnt for
sissies.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Smoking.. . was: My chili secret

On 2018-10-10 4:40 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

David and I ae both smokers, although still trying to quit (let's not
go with a discussion on that). We have electronic air filters in
every living space, as well as a high capaciaty electronic filter
installed in the furnace. Every week or two we take the cats with us
in car and visit a friend who also has cats. While we're out we run
a coomercial ozone generator. When we return home there is no hint
of smoke, not even in the clothes in the closet. We've been doing
that for years.

I admit to being an ex smoker, so I have limited sympathy for those who
claim they cannot quite. While I used to enjoy the smell of cigarettes
I have to wonder if there is not something they add to tobacco to make
smell particularly bad. As more and more places are going smoke free I
see people standing outside their homes to smoke, and people in cars
tend to hold the butts out the window. They obviously know that the
smoke stinks, but they keep doing it.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 17:32:30 -0400, Dave Smith

On 2018-10-10 4:40 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

[...]

Just like you did for years.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:25 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 19:46:50 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Brice" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 12:20:42 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"Brice" wrote in message

On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 09:16:06 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"Cheri" wrote in message news
Except you never beat it, you control it. Get crazy with lifestyle, and
it's
right there again.

Cheri

==

Oh yes! Have your taste preferences change over the time you have been
low
carbing?

There was a low carber in rfc once who said that on her deathbed,
she'd want to eat the crust of a pizza.
==

Good heavens That was just a bit more then extreme.

Yes, I thought there was something very sad about that.

I don't find it sad, I always say if I come down with a terminal illness, I
am no longer a diabetic and I am a smoker while waiting for the end.

Cher
==

LOL do you smoke too?? I really don't believe it))
If you take so much care to eat low carb ... I don't believe you smoke)

Likely used to smoke. I stopped smoking nearly 30 years ago.
If I came down with a terminal illness the first thing I'd want on my
death bed is a carton of Winstons... even if just to smell them were I
on O2. Typically when in a stressful situation I still reach into my
shirt pocket for a smoke... like today, we had to put our littlest
feral down, little joiner dragged herself home with a shattered femur.
We called the Vet at 8:30 this morning and were told to bring her
right in. At first the Vet thought her hip bone needed to be popped
back in but after x-rays it showed her femor was so shattered that
she'd need extensisve repairs with screws and plates. And since she
is feral she would never be able to survive outdoors. And the initial
surgery would be $3,000 with likely several follow up surgeries, and
no gaurantees. Joiner only came into our kitchen each morning to
visit with Miche for a few minutes, they are best buds because she
brought Miche here. Each morning they ate together and wrestled some
but Miche is too big, so out she goes to carry on her hunting. Miche
weighs nearly 30 pounds, Joiner barely weighs 8 pounds.
We thought hard and long and took the Vet's advice and had her put
down while she was still sedated... Before going to get her I dug a
deep grave under a tree near the barn where Joiner liked to hunt.
Fortunately for me the ground wasn't frozen but there were lots of
rocks, but I perservered. I would have liked a smoke but instead
poured myself a stiff Crystal Palace later in the day.
Joiner is at peace under a shady Forest Pansy Tree where she'll never
be disturbed. Miche even now is at the back door waiting for Joiner,
he may never forget her, I know I will never forget that little cutie.
The Vet examined her carefully and said there were no signs of a
preditor, she must have fallen from a tree, and I know she liked to
climb very tall trees. Was not a good day.

Old 11-10-2018, 01:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

today, we had to put our littlest
feral down, little joiner

So sorry to hear this, Sheldon.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:35 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, October 10, 2018 at 7:25:53 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

today, we had to put our littlest
feral down, little joiner dragged herself home with a shattered femur.
We called the Vet at 8:30 this morning and were told to bring her
right in.
We thought hard and long and took the Vet's advice and had her put
down while she was still sedated.

I'm sorry to read this and she had to be put down but she had a great life
and is no longer suffering.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-10-10 4:40 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

[...]

I really like the smell of any tobacco smoke, what I didn't/don't like is
the way it stains walls and things in a home, so I never smoked in the
house, that's the only reason.

Cheri

Old 11-10-2018, 06:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message
On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 19:46:50 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Brice" wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 12:20:42 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

m...

wrote:

"Cheri" wrote in message news
[...]

I am sorry to hear that. I know you treat your animals very well, and it's
not easy to lose any of them.

Cheri

Old 11-10-2018, 11:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message ...

On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 19:46:50 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

"Cheri" wrote in message news
[...]

I am so sorry to hear about Joiner.

I know how it feels

Old 11-10-2018, 02:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:

I'm betting no non-smoker would agree there's "no hint".

Totally agree with you, Janet. If someone smokes in their house,
everything in there and everything that comes out of there will
smell like smoke. No kind of air filter will remove that smell.
Just not true.
Yes, it will clean the current air but not eliminate smoke smells
in fabrics of all kinds.

I've also painted houses owned by heavy smokers. In order to
paint, everything must be washed off with a cleaner and even
then, ceilings and walls must be primed with a stain killer.
Nasty and expensive business.

When I smoked, I always took it outside. I didn't want my
daughter breathing it plus I didn't want to keep rebreathing it.
Old 11-10-2018, 03:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, October 11, 2018 at 9:50:20 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
Janet wrote:

I'm betting no non-smoker would agree there's "no hint".

Totally agree with you, Janet. If someone smokes in their house,
everything in there and everything that comes out of there will
smell like smoke. No kind of air filter will remove that smell.
Just not true.
Yes, it will clean the current air but not eliminate smoke smells
in fabrics of all kinds.

I've also painted houses owned by heavy smokers. In order to
paint, everything must be washed off with a cleaner and even
then, ceilings and walls must be primed with a stain killer.
Nasty and expensive business.

When I smoked, I always took it outside. I didn't want my
daughter breathing it plus I didn't want to keep rebreathing it.

My mother smoked in the house. On the plus side, it left me with
an abiding desire never to smoke.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 11-10-2018, 03:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:

[...]

Both my parents smoked heavily. Left me with asthma for the rest of my
life.

No one realised that then though.

Old 11-10-2018, 04:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/10/2018 8:25 PM, wrote:
we had to put our littlest
feral down, little joiner dragged herself home with a shattered femur.
We called the Vet at 8:30 this morning and were told to bring her
right in.

I'm very sorry to hear this, Sheldon.

Jill