Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default My chili secret

wrote:

> today, we had to put our littlest
> feral down, little joiner

So sorry to hear this, Sheldon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, October 10, 2018 at 7:25:53 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> today, we had to put our littlest
> feral down, little joiner dragged herself home with a shattered femur.
> We called the Vet at 8:30 this morning and were told to bring her
> right in.
> We thought hard and long and took the Vet's advice and had her put
> down while she was still sedated.

I'm sorry to read this and she had to be put down but she had a great life
and is no longer suffering.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Smoking.. . was: My chili secret

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2018-10-10 4:40 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> David and I ae both smokers, although still trying to quit (let's not
>> go with a discussion on that). We have electronic air filters in
>> every living space, as well as a high capaciaty electronic filter
>> installed in the furnace. Every week or two we take the cats with us
>> in car and visit a friend who also has cats. While we're out we run
>> a coomercial ozone generator. When we return home there is no hint
>> of smoke, not even in the clothes in the closet. We've been doing
>> that for years.

> I admit to being an ex smoker, so I have limited sympathy for those who
> claim they cannot quite. While I used to enjoy the smell of cigarettes I
> have to wonder if there is not something they add to tobacco to make smell
> particularly bad. As more and more places are going smoke free I see
> people standing outside their homes to smoke, and people in cars tend to
> hold the butts out the window. They obviously know that the smoke stinks,
> but they keep doing it.

I really like the smell of any tobacco smoke, what I didn't/don't like is
the way it stains walls and things in a home, so I never smoked in the
house, that's the only reason.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 19:46:50 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>>
>>"Cheri" wrote in message news >>
>>"Brice" > wrote in message
. ..
> [...]
m...

>>> Yes, I thought there was something very sad about that.

>>I don't find it sad, I always say if I come down with a terminal illness,
>>am no longer a diabetic and I am a smoker while waiting for the end.
>>
>>Cher
>>==
>>
>>LOL do you smoke too?? I really don't believe it))
>>If you take so much care to eat low carb ... I don't believe you smoke)

> Likely used to smoke. I stopped smoking nearly 30 years ago.
> If I came down with a terminal illness the first thing I'd want on my
> death bed is a carton of Winstons... even if just to smell them were I
> on O2. Typically when in a stressful situation I still reach into my
> shirt pocket for a smoke... like today, we had to put our littlest
> feral down, little joiner dragged herself home with a shattered femur.
> We called the Vet at 8:30 this morning and were told to bring her
> right in. At first the Vet thought her hip bone needed to be popped
> back in but after x-rays it showed her femor was so shattered that
> she'd need extensisve repairs with screws and plates. And since she
> is feral she would never be able to survive outdoors. And the initial
> surgery would be $3,000 with likely several follow up surgeries, and
> no gaurantees. Joiner only came into our kitchen each morning to
> visit with Miche for a few minutes, they are best buds because she
> brought Miche here. Each morning they ate together and wrestled some
> but Miche is too big, so out she goes to carry on her hunting. Miche
> weighs nearly 30 pounds, Joiner barely weighs 8 pounds.
> We thought hard and long and took the Vet's advice and had her put
> down while she was still sedated... Before going to get her I dug a
> deep grave under a tree near the barn where Joiner liked to hunt.
> Fortunately for me the ground wasn't frozen but there were lots of
> rocks, but I perservered. I would have liked a smoke but instead
> poured myself a stiff Crystal Palace later in the day.
> Joiner is at peace under a shady Forest Pansy Tree where she'll never
> be disturbed. Miche even now is at the back door waiting for Joiner,
> he may never forget her, I know I will never forget that little cutie.
> The Vet examined her carefully and said there were no signs of a
> preditor, she must have fallen from a tree, and I know she liked to
> climb very tall trees. Was not a good day.

I am sorry to hear that. I know you treat your animals very well, and it's
not easy to lose any of them.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Cheri" wrote in message news >
>"Brice" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 12:20:42 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:
>>>
>>>"Brice" wrote in message

>>>There was a low carber in rfc once who said that on her deathbed,
>>>she'd want to eat the crust of a pizza.
>>>==
>>>
>>>Good heavens That was just a bit more then extreme.

>> Yes, I thought there was something very sad about that.

>I don't find it sad, I always say if I come down with a terminal illness, I
>am no longer a diabetic and I am a smoker while waiting for the end.
>
>Cher
>==
>
>LOL do you smoke too?? I really don't believe it))
>If you take so much care to eat low carb ... I don't believe you smoke)

Likely used to smoke. I stopped smoking nearly 30 years ago.
If I came down with a terminal illness the first thing I'd want on my
death bed is a carton of Winstons... even if just to smell them were I
on O2. Typically when in a stressful situation I still reach into my
shirt pocket for a smoke... like today, we had to put our littlest
feral down, little joiner dragged herself home with a shattered femur.
We called the Vet at 8:30 this morning and were told to bring her
right in. At first the Vet thought her hip bone needed to be popped
back in but after x-rays it showed her femor was so shattered that
she'd need extensisve repairs with screws and plates. And since she
is feral she would never be able to survive outdoors. And the initial
surgery would be $3,000 with likely several follow up surgeries, and
no gaurantees. Joiner only came into our kitchen each morning to
visit with Miche for a few minutes, they are best buds because she
brought Miche here. Each morning they ate together and wrestled some
but Miche is too big, so out she goes to carry on her hunting. Miche
weighs nearly 30 pounds, Joiner barely weighs 8 pounds.
We thought hard and long and took the Vet's advice and had her put
down while she was still sedated... Before going to get her I dug a
deep grave under a tree near the barn where Joiner liked to hunt.
Fortunately for me the ground wasn't frozen but there were lots of
rocks, but I perservered. I would have liked a smoke but instead
poured myself a stiff Crystal Palace later in the day.
Joiner is at peace under a shady Forest Pansy Tree where she'll never
be disturbed. Miche even now is at the back door waiting for Joiner,
he may never forget her, I know I will never forget that little cutie.
The Vet examined her carefully and said there were no signs of a
preditor, she must have fallen from a tree, and I know she liked to
climb very tall trees. Was not a good day.

==

I am so sorry to hear about Joiner.

I know how it feels

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:

> I'm betting no non-smoker would agree there's "no hint".

Totally agree with you, Janet. If someone smokes in their house,
everything in there and everything that comes out of there will
smell like smoke. No kind of air filter will remove that smell.
Just not true.
Yes, it will clean the current air but not eliminate smoke smells
in fabrics of all kinds.

I've also painted houses owned by heavy smokers. In order to
paint, everything must be washed off with a cleaner and even
then, ceilings and walls must be primed with a stain killer.
Nasty and expensive business.

When I smoked, I always took it outside. I didn't want my
daughter breathing it plus I didn't want to keep rebreathing it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, October 11, 2018 at 9:50:20 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Janet wrote:
> >
> > I'm betting no non-smoker would agree there's "no hint".

> Totally agree with you, Janet. If someone smokes in their house,
> everything in there and everything that comes out of there will
> smell like smoke. No kind of air filter will remove that smell.
> Just not true.
> Yes, it will clean the current air but not eliminate smoke smells
> in fabrics of all kinds.
>
> I've also painted houses owned by heavy smokers. In order to
> paint, everything must be washed off with a cleaner and even
> then, ceilings and walls must be primed with a stain killer.
> Nasty and expensive business.
>
> When I smoked, I always took it outside. I didn't want my
> daughter breathing it plus I didn't want to keep rebreathing it.

My mother smoked in the house. On the plus side, it left me with
an abiding desire never to smoke.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Thursday, October 11, 2018 at 9:50:20 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Janet wrote:
> >
> > I'm betting no non-smoker would agree there's "no hint".

> Totally agree with you, Janet. If someone smokes in their house,
> everything in there and everything that comes out of there will
> smell like smoke. No kind of air filter will remove that smell.
> Just not true.
> Yes, it will clean the current air but not eliminate smoke smells
> in fabrics of all kinds.
>
> I've also painted houses owned by heavy smokers. In order to
> paint, everything must be washed off with a cleaner and even
> then, ceilings and walls must be primed with a stain killer.
> Nasty and expensive business.
>
> When I smoked, I always took it outside. I didn't want my
> daughter breathing it plus I didn't want to keep rebreathing it.

My mother smoked in the house. On the plus side, it left me with
an abiding desire never to smoke.

Cindy Hamilton

==

Both my parents smoked heavily. Left me with asthma for the rest of my
life.

No one realised that then though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary > wrote:
> Janet wrote:
>>
>> I'm betting no non-smoker would agree there's "no hint".

> Totally agree with you, Janet. If someone smokes in their house,
> everything in there and everything that comes out of there will
> smell like smoke. No kind of air filter will remove that smell.
> Just not true.
> Yes, it will clean the current air but not eliminate smoke smells
> in fabrics of all kinds.
>
> I've also painted houses owned by heavy smokers. In order to
> paint, everything must be washed off with a cleaner and even
> then, ceilings and walls must be primed with a stain killer.
> Nasty and expensive business.
>
> When I smoked, I always took it outside. I didn't want my
> daughter breathing it plus I didn't want to keep rebreathing it.

Many years ago my sister and brother in law moved into a house that a heavy
smoker had lived in her whole life. I helped them clean the place, and one
the bedrooms had beige/peach colored walls. When I started washing the
walls, it became apparent that the walls werent peach at all€”they were
light ice blue.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton > wrote:
> On Thursday, October 11, 2018 at 9:50:20 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
>> Janet wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm betting no non-smoker would agree there's "no hint".

>> Totally agree with you, Janet. If someone smokes in their house,
>> everything in there and everything that comes out of there will
>> smell like smoke. No kind of air filter will remove that smell.
>> Just not true.
>> Yes, it will clean the current air but not eliminate smoke smells
>> in fabrics of all kinds.
>>
>> I've also painted houses owned by heavy smokers. In order to
>> paint, everything must be washed off with a cleaner and even
>> then, ceilings and walls must be primed with a stain killer.
>> Nasty and expensive business.
>>
>> When I smoked, I always took it outside. I didn't want my
>> daughter breathing it plus I didn't want to keep rebreathing it.

> My mother smoked in the house. On the plus side, it left me with
> an abiding desire never to smoke.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Oh my gosh, that reminds me of high school. My mom was a smoker and shed
drive me to school each morning. After dropping me off Id stink so bad,
but as much as I complained she just didnt get it.