Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tasty beans?

I like to make soaked dry beans with garlic, a bit of smoked meat, diced
onion and bullion in a crockpot. Notherns are very good but I don't want to
get tired of them. I just tried black beans but they weren't that great -
edible though. Pintos and kidneys seem to work better with chile spices.
Any suggestions? Cananilli (sp?) beans don't agree with me.

TIA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 22, 2018 at 12:58:24 PM UTC-5, KenK wrote:
> I like to make soaked dry beans with garlic, a bit of smoked meat, diced
> onion and bullion in a crockpot. Notherns are very good but I don't want to
> get tired of them. I just tried black beans but they weren't that great -
> edible though. Pintos and kidneys seem to work better with chile spices.
> Any suggestions? Cananilli (sp?) beans don't agree with me.
>
> TIA
>

> --
> I love a good meal! That's why I don't cook.

I'm planning on making a batch of my "baked beans" so I just got 1lb bags of Black Beans, Red Kidney Bean, Black Eyed Peas and Garbonzas.

John Kuthe (not dead yet!)...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Sat 22 Sep 2018 10:58:20a, KenK told us...
>
>> I like to make soaked dry beans with garlic, a bit of smoked meat,
>> diced onion and bullion in a crockpot. Notherns are very good but
>> I don't want to get tired of them. I just tried black beans but
>> they weren't that great - edible though. Pintos and kidneys seem
>> to work better with chile spices. Any suggestions? Cananilli (sp?)
>> beans don't agree with me.
>>
>> TIA
>>

> Navy beans?

My dad made wonderful navy bean *soup* seasoned with a nice meaty ham
hock or ham bone (not smoked, although I suppose that could work). I've
made it occasionally and it's quite tasty. I can't say I've ever just
cooked dried beans as just beans.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/22/2018 12:58 PM, KenK wrote:
> I like to make soaked dry beans with garlic, a bit of smoked meat, diced
> onion and bullion in a crockpot. Notherns are very good but I don't want to
> get tired of them. I just tried black beans but they weren't that great -
> edible though. Pintos and kidneys seem to work better with chile spices.
> Any suggestions? Cananilli (sp?) beans don't agree with me.
>
> TIA

Â*Â* You probably mean cannellini beans ... Tried (dried) black-eyed peas
? Canned ones don't do it for me , but dried can be very tasty . Other
varieties of field peas are good too , a favorite of mine is red rippers
- you might try purple hulls , there are literally dozens of varieties .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 22, 2018 at 2:33:44 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
> On 9/22/2018 12:58 PM, KenK wrote:
> > I like to make soaked dry beans with garlic, a bit of smoked meat, diced
> > onion and bullion in a crockpot. Notherns are very good but I don't want to
> > get tired of them. I just tried black beans but they weren't that great -
> > edible though. Pintos and kidneys seem to work better with chile spices..
> > Any suggestions? Cananilli (sp?) beans don't agree with me.
> >
> > TIA
> >

> Â*Â* You probably mean cannellini beans ... Tried (dried) black-eyed peas
> ? Canned ones don't do it for me , but dried can be very tasty . Other
> varieties of field peas are good too , a favorite of mine is red rippers
> - you might try purple hulls , there are literally dozens of varieties .
>
> --
> Snag
> Yes , I'm old
> and crochety - and armed .
> Get outta my woods !

I use ONLY dried beans!! I soak 'em for about 1/2 a day, then boil/cook as necessary to get the consistency I want. El Dente. Can't get that out of a can! Canned COOKED beans are MUSH! That's another reason I make my own. I don't particularly like mushy beans!

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 14:49:15 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On 22 Sep 2018 17:58:20 GMT, KenK wrote:
>
>> I like to make soaked dry beans with garlic, a bit of smoked meat, diced
>> onion and bullion in a crockpot. Notherns are very good but I don't want to
>> get tired of them. I just tried black beans but they weren't that great -
>> edible though. Pintos and kidneys seem to work better with chile spices.
>> Any suggestions? Cananilli (sp?) beans don't agree with me.

>Yellow/canary/mayocoba (different names for the same beans) are the
>best all-purpose bean out there.
>
>-sw

really? I've never tried them. How have you used them?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On 22 Sep 2018 17:58:20 GMT, KenK wrote:
>
> > I like to make soaked dry beans with garlic, a bit of smoked meat,
> > diced onion and bullion in a crockpot. Notherns are very good but I
> > don't want to get tired of them. I just tried black beans but they
> > weren't that great - edible though. Pintos and kidneys seem to work
> > better with chile spices. Any suggestions? Cananilli (sp?) beans
> > don't agree with me.

> Yellow/canary/mayocoba (different names for the same beans) are the
> best all-purpose bean out there.
>
> -sw

I like those.

(Gsry, Bonny road on the left if you hit Rosemont off 264. Look for
the 7-11, hispanic market back there).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cranberry beans are good if you can find them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 22:43:15 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 14:38:34 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 14:49:15 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>>Yellow/canary/mayocoba (different names for the same beans) are the
>>>best all-purpose bean out there.
>>>
>>>-sw

>> really? I've never tried them. How have you used them?

>Refried, bean soup, charro, borracho, ham and beans, everything...
>They are tasty and good for anything.
>
>-sw

the borracho sounds good. I have everything on hand. I already have
ways to do refried, bean soup and ham and beans that I enjoy. I've
looked at the myocoba beans often but just never brought them home.
thanks
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

KenK wrote:
> I like to make soaked dry beans with garlic, a bit of smoked meat, diced
> onion and bullion in a crockpot. Notherns are very good but I don't want to
> get tired of them. I just tried black beans but they weren't that great -
> edible though. Pintos and kidneys seem to work better with chile spices.
> Any suggestions? Cananilli (sp?) beans don't agree with me.

yellow eye aka molasses bean are very good. we also
really like lima beans.

i make most of the beans here plain in nothing but
water because i enjoy the various bean flavors. the
major exception is the split pea soup - that's usually
one we add our leftover ham/ham bones.

i also i make enough to last a week so i might want
to change what i add to them at times. as an example
today i wanted a sweet and sour sauce so i put strawberry
jam and mustard on them along with some cole slaw.

songbird

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> My dad made wonderful navy bean *soup* seasoned with a nice meaty ham
> hock or ham bone (not smoked, although I suppose that could work). I've
> made it occasionally and it's quite tasty. I can't say I've ever just
> cooked dried beans as just beans.

having grown up in a navy bean growing area these
along with the great northern beans are two that i
can probably do without the rest of my life (and i
love beans - just have had so many of them already).

if you've never had fresh shellies cooked up or
some edamame those are worth it.

i grow a lot of different beans and as of yet i
haven't found any i didn't like.

the textures and flavors do vary quite a bit.
when cooked with spices and other things people
are missing out quite a bit, but then again not
everyone really likes beans so covering them up
with other things makes sense to them.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
> I use ONLY dried beans!! I soak 'em for about 1/2 a day, then boil/cook as necessary to get the consistency I want. El Dente. Can't get that out of a can! Canned COOKED beans are MUSH! That's another reason I make my own. I don't particularly like mushy beans!

i never bother soaking them. i just rinse them off
and then cover with water about 2-3 times the volume.
bring them to a boil (stirring to make sure they don't
burn/stick) then reduce heat to a simmer until done.
stirring about every 30 minutes.

some of the small beans i grow are so firm that
even after several hours of boiling they're still
good. look for small goats eye type beans. you
may not ever find them at the mass market grocery
stores, but you can get them online.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 23, 2018 at 1:38:24 AM UTC-5, songbird wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:
> > I use ONLY dried beans!! I soak 'em for about 1/2 a day, then boil/cook as necessary to get the consistency I want. El Dente. Can't get that out of a can! Canned COOKED beans are MUSH! That's another reason I make my own. I don't particularly like mushy beans!

> i never bother soaking them. i just rinse them off
> and then cover with water about 2-3 times the volume.
> bring them to a boil (stirring to make sure they don't
> burn/stick) then reduce heat to a simmer until done.
> stirring about every 30 minutes.
>
> some of the small beans i grow are so firm that
> even after several hours of boiling they're still
> good. look for small goats eye type beans. you
> may not ever find them at the mass market grocery
> stores, but you can get them online.
>

> songbird

Yep. The ole soak vs no soak debate! I soak them, but the time I soak them can vary with my schedule. I find the longer I soak them the more volume I get, and the less time I have to boil them to cook to el dente.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/22/18 11:58 AM, KenK wrote:
> I like to make soaked dry beans with garlic, a bit of smoked meat, diced
> onion and bullion in a crockpot. Notherns are very good but I don't want to
> get tired of them. I just tried black beans but they weren't that great -
> edible though. Pintos and kidneys seem to work better with chile spices.
> Any suggestions? Cananilli (sp?) beans don't agree with me.
>
> TIA

Here is a resource you may want to check out.

https://www.ranchogordo.com

Great beans, somewhat pricey, but I still buy them. The site has a lot
of ideas and recipes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
15.223...
> On Sat 22 Sep 2018 12:11:45p, jmcquown told us...
>
>> On 9/22/2018 2:30 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Sat 22 Sep 2018 10:58:20a, KenK told us...

>>> Navy beans?
>>>

>> My dad made wonderful navy bean *soup* seasoned with a nice meaty
>> ham hock or ham bone (not smoked, although I suppose that could
>> work). I've made it occasionally and it's quite tasty. I can't
>> say I've ever just cooked dried beans as just beans.
>>
>> Jill

> Certainly any dried bean needs plenty of liquid for cooking. That
> can vary from how one typically cooks blackeyed peas to making many
> types of bean soup. It's all in the liquid.

Yes! I kept trying to recreate the black bean soup at my favorite Mexican
place. I finally asked the owner. I wasn't using enough water. He said to
use as much water as possible. Drain off what isn't needed after cooking but
reserve it. Can be used for making bread, soup, or a variety of things.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:

> (Gary, Bonny road on the left if you hit Rosemont off 264. Look for
> the 7-11, hispanic market back there).

Thanks for that info. I'd like to know where you found pimento
cheese around here. You mentioned that in your dinner ingredient
list a week or two ago. I've looked in Harris Teeter and Food
Lion and haven't seen it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 24, 2018 at 11:00:59 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:

> I'd like to know where you found pimento
> cheese around here. You mentioned that in your dinner ingredient
> list a week or two ago. I've looked in Harris Teeter and Food
> Lion and haven't seen it.

What particular section of the stores did you look for pimento cheese?
My Kroger has it stashed in two locations. One is in the lunch meat
section (Mrs. Grissom's) and the other one is in the sliced and block
cheese section (Price's).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:

> On Monday, September 24, 2018 at 11:00:59 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> >
> > I'd like to know where you found pimento
> > cheese around here. You mentioned that in your dinner ingredient
> > list a week or two ago. I've looked in Harris Teeter and Food
> > Lion and haven't seen it.
> >

> What particular section of the stores did you look for pimento cheese?
> My Kroger has it stashed in two locations. One is in the lunch meat
> section (Mrs. Grissom's) and the other one is in the sliced and block
> cheese section (Price's).

Found tubs of cheese mixes and other things in both the same
areas. In the dairy section and also the deli section. No luck in
both stores. I'll look again next time I go to each. I would like
to try some again after so many years since we recently talked
about it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> Otherwise it's simple to mix some up yourself at half the price.
> Cheddar cheese is going for about $3.30/lb because of a 2-year long
> cheese glut. Use jarred roasted red peppers instead of those
> expensive little jars of hacked up pimentos - same thing at 1/5th
> the price.

just get some cheezewhiz spread it and put
a bit of siracha sauce and it is close enough...

cheese is going for 2-2.25/lb here in the big
box store budget larger chunks (2lb bricks) of
the mixed color cheeses, sharp cheddar is 0.20/lb
more and extra sharp cheddar just a bit more but
we've found that too crumbly/dry for our tastes.

at these prices we hardly use the fake slices
any more.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 16:39:25 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

snip
Use jarred roasted red peppers instead of those
>expensive little jars of hacked up pimentos - same thing at 1/5th
>the price.
>
>-sw

I substituted roasted red peppers once for pimentos and didn't like
the results at all. The taste was totally different. But, if I were
making something for the first time and had no previous taste
experience, I would surely try roasted red peppers because they cost
so much less than the pimentos.

Tasty Chemo the Clown[_2_] General Cooking 19 21-08-2011 04:18 AM
Beans: storing unused canned beans Manda Ruby General Cooking 0 01-05-2010 11:00 AM
It was very tasty... Old Harley Rider General Cooking 14 12-11-2009 01:07 AM
Tasty! Judy Ortiz General Cooking 1 02-12-2008 05:35 PM
Recipe for baked beans made with Bushes canned beans Evelyn Erickson General Cooking 0 22-12-2004 11:00 PM