Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Corned Beef lunch today

Aside from St. Patrick's day we often forget about corned beef during
the year. one caught my eye a couple of days ago so in the cart at BJ's
it went.

Started it cooking late morning so we had the beef with carrots,
potatoes, cabbage for a late lunch. I invited one of my friends (who
was also a coworker before we retired) knowing she enjoys it too. Made
for a nice afternoon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, September 21, 2018 at 11:46:38 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> Aside from St. Patrick's day we often forget about corned beef during
> the year. one caught my eye a couple of days ago so in the cart at BJ's
> it went.
>
> Started it cooking late morning so we had the beef with carrots,
> potatoes, cabbage for a late lunch. I invited one of my friends (who
> was also a coworker before we retired) knowing she enjoys it too. Made
> for a nice afternoon.

Cooking for others is a kind and nurturing, act. It's a good skill to have. I made this for my wife last night. It's packed in a small Japanese bento box.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...4U7yZE39Niqw3Q
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, September 21, 2018 at 5:14:05 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> I made this for my wife last night. It's packed in a small Japanese bento box.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...4U7yZE39Niqw3Q

What's that stuff on left between the two hamburger patties?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, September 21, 2018 at 12:29:43 PM UTC-10, wrote:

> What's that stuff on left between the two hamburger patties?

Hawaiian style kim chee. It's a less intense version of Korean kim chee. The meal is supposed to be low carb.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, September 21, 2018 at 5:53:09 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> On Friday, September 21, 2018 at 12:29:43 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> > >

> > What's that stuff on left between the two hamburger patties?

> Hawaiian style kim chee. It's a less intense version of Korean kim chee. The meal is supposed to be low carb.

Ok, thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, September 21, 2018 at 1:25:48 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> Ok, thanks.

I suspect that things are similar on the mainland. You can get kimchi but it's made for American tastes. It's milder than kimchi made for Koreans. This is just a guess - I could be wrong.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 16:34:32 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Friday, September 21, 2018 at 1:25:48 PM UTC-10, wrote:
>> Ok, thanks.

>I suspect that things are similar on the mainland. You can get kimchi but it's made for American tastes. It's milder than kimchi made for Koreans. This is just a guess - I could be wrong.

Maybe there are Koreans on the mainland. Who make kimchi for other
Koreans on the mainland. Korean style kimchi, to be precise. Also just
guessing, Mr Aloha!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, September 21, 2018 at 7:34:36 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Friday, September 21, 2018 at 1:25:48 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> > Ok, thanks.

> I suspect that things are similar on the mainland. You can get kimchi but it's made for American tastes. It's milder than kimchi made for Koreans. This is just a guess - I could be wrong.

I suspect that when I go to the Korean grocery store, I get the real deal.

We have two groceries that are pretty much Korean, and a handful of others
that are more specific to China, Japan, etc., but most carry Korean stuff.

Here's my favorite:

<https://www.facebook.com/a3galleria/

This one is closer but smaller:

<https://hyundai-asian-market.business.site/>

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Friday, September 21, 2018 at 11:46:38 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> Aside from St. Patrick's day we often forget about corned beef during
> the year. one caught my eye a couple of days ago so in the cart at BJ's
> it went.
>
> Started it cooking late morning so we had the beef with carrots,
> potatoes, cabbage for a late lunch. I invited one of my friends (who
> was also a coworker before we retired) knowing she enjoys it too. Made
> for a nice afternoon.

Cooking for others is a kind and nurturing, act. It's a good skill to have.
I made this for my wife last night. It's packed in a small Japanese bento
box.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...4U7yZE39Niqw3Q

==

That looks lovely) Lucky MrsD) Now, tell us what it all is please?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/21/2018 5:46 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> Aside from St. Patrick's day we often forget about corned beef during
> the year.Â* one caught my eye a couple of days ago so in the cart at BJ's
> it went.
>
> Started it cooking late morning so we had the beef with carrots,
> potatoes, cabbage for a late lunch.Â* I invited one of my friends (who
> was also a coworker before we retired) knowing she enjoys it too.Â* Made
> for a nice afternoon.

Thank you for reminding me, Ed! I usually cook corned beef brisket
twice a year. I buy two and freeze one. (Can't wait for someone to
tell me it is impossible to freeze corned beef brisket). I cook one
around St. Patrick's Day. I freeze the other for the start of Fall.

I bought a nice head of cabbage and new potatoes at the farm stand.
I'll be cooking corned beef and cabbage in the coming week.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 22, 2018 at 12:19:39 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, September 21, 2018 at 7:34:36 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Friday, September 21, 2018 at 1:25:48 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> > > Ok, thanks.

> > I suspect that things are similar on the mainland. You can get kimchi but it's made for American tastes. It's milder than kimchi made for Koreans. This is just a guess - I could be wrong.

> I suspect that when I go to the Korean grocery store, I get the real deal.
>
> We have two groceries that are pretty much Korean, and a handful of others
> that are more specific to China, Japan, etc., but most carry Korean stuff.
>
> Here's my favorite:
>
> <https://www.facebook.com/a3galleria/
>
> This one is closer but smaller:
>
> <https://hyundai-asian-market.business.site/>
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Could be. I was raised on local style kim chee. I was delighted to find Hawaiian style kim chee when we moved to the SF Bay area back in 1976. I think it was in a Ralph's supermarket. It was the only kim chee they had.

I never even saw Korean style kim chee until some time later. That's the stuff my wife was raised on. As it goes, she says that I make it the same way her mom did. I must be so awesome!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 22, 2018 at 5:17:32 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Friday, September 21, 2018 at 11:46:38 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > Aside from St. Patrick's day we often forget about corned beef during
> > the year. one caught my eye a couple of days ago so in the cart at BJ's
> > it went.
> >
> > Started it cooking late morning so we had the beef with carrots,
> > potatoes, cabbage for a late lunch. I invited one of my friends (who
> > was also a coworker before we retired) knowing she enjoys it too. Made
> > for a nice afternoon.

> Cooking for others is a kind and nurturing, act. It's a good skill to have.
> I made this for my wife last night. It's packed in a small Japanese bento
> box.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...4U7yZE39Niqw3Q
>
> ==
>
> That looks lovely) Lucky MrsD) Now, tell us what it all is please?

That was some hamburger patties, kim chee, and blanched asparagus, with Japan mayo. Tonight it might be canned corned beef and onion or saba. I bought a spiralizer gizmo and will make some of veggie out of that. Zucchini or lightly vinegared diakon? OTOH, perhaps I'll make this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdA_w_0v5vo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

On 9/21/2018 5:46 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> Aside from St. Patrick's day we often forget about corned beef during
> the year. one caught my eye a couple of days ago so in the cart at BJ's
> it went.
>
> Started it cooking late morning so we had the beef with carrots,
> potatoes, cabbage for a late lunch. I invited one of my friends (who
> was also a coworker before we retired) knowing she enjoys it too. Made
> for a nice afternoon.

Thank you for reminding me, Ed! I usually cook corned beef brisket
twice a year. I buy two and freeze one. (Can't wait for someone to
tell me it is impossible to freeze corned beef brisket). I cook one
around St. Patrick's Day. I freeze the other for the start of Fall.

I bought a nice head of cabbage and new potatoes at the farm stand.
I'll be cooking corned beef and cabbage in the coming week.

Jill

==

Why are you not supposed to freeze it??

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Saturday, September 22, 2018 at 12:19:39 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, September 21, 2018 at 7:34:36 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Friday, September 21, 2018 at 1:25:48 PM UTC-10,
> > wrote:
> > > Ok, thanks.

> > I suspect that things are similar on the mainland. You can get kimchi
> > but it's made for American tastes. It's milder than kimchi made for
> > Koreans. This is just a guess - I could be wrong.

> I suspect that when I go to the Korean grocery store, I get the real deal.
>
> We have two groceries that are pretty much Korean, and a handful of others
> that are more specific to China, Japan, etc., but most carry Korean stuff.
>
> Here's my favorite:
>
> <https://www.facebook.com/a3galleria/
>
> This one is closer but smaller:
>
> <https://hyundai-asian-market.business.site/>
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Could be. I was raised on local style kim chee. I was delighted to find
Hawaiian style kim chee when we moved to the SF Bay area back in 1976. I
think it was in a Ralph's supermarket. It was the only kim chee they had.

I never even saw Korean style kim chee until some time later. That's the
stuff my wife was raised on. As it goes, she says that I make it the same
way her mom did. I must be so awesome!

===

Did you ever doubt that??? ;p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Saturday, September 22, 2018 at 5:17:32 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Friday, September 21, 2018 at 11:46:38 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > Aside from St. Patrick's day we often forget about corned beef during
> > the year. one caught my eye a couple of days ago so in the cart at BJ's
> > it went.
> >
> > Started it cooking late morning so we had the beef with carrots,
> > potatoes, cabbage for a late lunch. I invited one of my friends (who
> > was also a coworker before we retired) knowing she enjoys it too. Made
> > for a nice afternoon.

> Cooking for others is a kind and nurturing, act. It's a good skill to
> have.
> I made this for my wife last night. It's packed in a small Japanese bento
> box.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...4U7yZE39Niqw3Q
>
> ==
>
> That looks lovely) Lucky MrsD) Now, tell us what it all is please?

That was some hamburger patties, kim chee, and blanched asparagus, with
Japan mayo. Tonight it might be canned corned beef and onion or saba. I
bought a spiralizer gizmo and will make some of veggie out of that. Zucchini
or lightly vinegared diakon? OTOH, perhaps I'll make this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdA_w_0v5vo

====

She is a lucky lady D doesn't do any cooking To be honest, I am more
then happy with that, but then I am retired now Enjoy while you can,
because she might want to take over when she retires

Heh I've had an electric Spiralizer for years it is the only way he eats
Zucchini He likes me to do carrots at the same time.

That corned beef thing looks interesting. Two other favourites of D's are
Corned Beef Hash and Corned beef savoury pudding. He loves them

The Hash is a recipe from when he was a lad and I think the taste is as
good as the memories they bring with them) I've seen other CB hash but
not just the same as this one

The Corned Beef Savoury Pudding is one I found in a very old cook book
That was a lucky find!!

So, what are you making for your lady today? )

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/23/2018 3:49 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown"Â* wrote in message ...
> On 9/21/2018 5:46 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> Aside from St. Patrick's day we often forget about corned beef during
>> the year.Â* one caught my eye a couple of days ago so in the cart at
>> BJ's it went.
>>
>> Started it cooking late morning so we had the beef with carrots,
>> potatoes, cabbage for a late lunch.Â* I invited one of my friends (who
>> was also a coworker before we retired) knowing she enjoys it too.
>> Made for a nice afternoon.

> Thank you for reminding me, Ed!Â* I usually cook corned beef brisket
> twice a year.Â* I buy two and freeze one.Â* (Can't wait for someone to
> tell me it is impossible to freeze corned beef brisket).Â* I cook one
> around St. Patrick's Day.Â* I freeze the other for the start of Fall.
>
> I bought a nice head of cabbage and new potatoes at the farm stand. I'll
> be cooking corned beef and cabbage in the coming week.
>
> Jill
>
> ==
>
> Why are you not supposed to freeze it??

I believe it was Sheldon (I could be wrong) who claims you cannot freeze
it because of the way it's cured (IIRC, pickling salt). I've been
freezing corned beef briskets for years, no problems.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/23/18 3:47 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> The Hash is aÂ* recipe from when he was a lad and I think the taste is as
> good as the memories they bring with them)Â* I've seen other CB hash
> but not just the same as this one
>
> The Corned Beef Savoury Pudding is one I found in a very old cook book
> That was a lucky find!!

Those sound really good especially the corned beef savory pudding!!
Going to see if google knows about it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 9/23/2018 3:49 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "jmcquown"Â wrote in message ...
>> On 9/21/2018 5:46 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>> Aside from St. Patrick's day we often forget about corned beef during
>>> the year. one caught my eye a couple of days ago so in the cart at BJ's
>>> it went.
>>>
>>> Started it cooking late morning so we had the beef with carrots,
>>> potatoes, cabbage for a late lunch. I invited one of my friends (who
>>> was also a coworker before we retired) knowing she enjoys it too. Made
>>> for a nice afternoon.

>> Thank you for reminding me, Ed! I usually cook corned beef brisket twice
>> a year. I buy two and freeze one. (Can't wait for someone to tell me it
>> is impossible to freeze corned beef brisket). I cook one around St.
>> Patrick's Day. I freeze the other for the start of Fall.
>>
>> I bought a nice head of cabbage and new potatoes at the farm stand. I'll
>> be cooking corned beef and cabbage in the coming week.
>>
>> Jill
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Why are you not supposed to freeze it??
>>

> I believe it was Sheldon (I could be wrong) who claims you cannot freeze
> it because of the way it's cured (IIRC, pickling salt). I've been
> freezing corned beef briskets for years, no problems.
>
> Jill

Me too.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 23, 2018 at 9:06:45 AM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:
> On 9/23/2018 3:49 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> >

> > "jmcquown"Â* wrote in message ....
> > On 9/21/2018 5:46 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> >> Aside from St. Patrick's day we often forget about corned beef during
> >> the year.Â* one caught my eye a couple of days ago so in the cart at
> >> BJ's it went.
> >>
> >> Started it cooking late morning so we had the beef with carrots,
> >> potatoes, cabbage for a late lunch.Â* I invited one of my friends (who
> >> was also a coworker before we retired) knowing she enjoys it too.
> >> Made for a nice afternoon.

> > Thank you for reminding me, Ed!Â* I usually cook corned beef brisket
> > twice a year.Â* I buy two and freeze one.Â* (Can't wait for someone to
> > tell me it is impossible to freeze corned beef brisket).Â* I cook one
> > around St. Patrick's Day.Â* I freeze the other for the start of Fall.
> >
> > I bought a nice head of cabbage and new potatoes at the farm stand. I'll
> > be cooking corned beef and cabbage in the coming week.
> >
> > Jill
> >
> > ==
> >
> > Why are you not supposed to freeze it??
> >

> I believe it was Sheldon (I could be wrong) who claims you cannot freeze
> it because of the way it's cured (IIRC, pickling salt). I've been
> freezing corned beef briskets for years, no problems.
>
> Jill

Yes, it was Sheldon, on March 21, 2009 (and probably on at least one
subsequent occasion):

> I wouldn't, corned beef in its plastic package is much too salty to freeze,
> probably won't even freeze solid in a home freezer.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/23/2018 9:53 AM, Cheri wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> On 9/23/2018 3:49 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Thank you for reminding me, Ed! I usually cook corned beef brisket
>>> twice a year. I buy two and freeze one. (Can't wait for someone to
>>> tell me it is impossible to freeze corned beef brisket). I cook one
>>> around St. Patrick's Day. I freeze the other for the start of Fall.
>>>
>>> I bought a nice head of cabbage and new potatoes at the farm stand.
>>> I'll be cooking corned beef and cabbage in the coming week.
>>>
>>> Jill
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Why are you not supposed to freeze it??
>>>

>> I believe it was Sheldon (I could be wrong) who claims you cannot
>> freeze it because of the way it's cured (IIRC, pickling salt).* I've
>> been freezing corned beef briskets for years, no problems.
>>
>> Jill

> Me too.
>
> Cheri

I haven't found much in terms of food that cannot be frozen. Some
things might be altered texture-wise. I wouldn't freeze brie, for
example. But hard cheeses freeze just fine. So does corned beef brisket.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/23/2018 10:21 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, September 23, 2018 at 9:06:45 AM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:
>> On 9/23/2018 3:49 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Thank you for reminding me, Ed!Â* I usually cook corned beef brisket
>>> twice a year.Â* I buy two and freeze one.Â* (Can't wait for someone to
>>> tell me it is impossible to freeze corned beef brisket).Â* I cook one
>>> around St. Patrick's Day.Â* I freeze the other for the start of Fall.
>>>
>>> I bought a nice head of cabbage and new potatoes at the farm stand. I'll
>>> be cooking corned beef and cabbage in the coming week.
>>>
>>> Jill
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Why are you not supposed to freeze it??
>>>

>> I believe it was Sheldon (I could be wrong) who claims you cannot freeze
>> it because of the way it's cured (IIRC, pickling salt). I've been
>> freezing corned beef briskets for years, no problems.
>>
>> Jill

> Yes, it was Sheldon, on March 21, 2009 (and probably on at least one
> subsequent occasion):
>
>> I wouldn't, corned beef in its plastic package is much too salty to freeze,
>> probably won't even freeze solid in a home freezer.

> Cindy Hamilton

Thank you, Cindy! I was pretty sure it was his proclamation. After
all, he grew up in Brooklyn so he allegedly knows all about corned beef.
My guess is he never tried freezing it. It works just fine.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 9/23/2018 9:53 AM, Cheri wrote:

>>> I believe it was Sheldon (I could be wrong) who claims you cannot freeze
>>> it because of the way it's cured (IIRC, pickling salt). I've been
>>> freezing corned beef briskets for years, no problems.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Me too.
>>
>> Cheri

> I haven't found much in terms of food that cannot be frozen. Some things
> might be altered texture-wise. I wouldn't freeze brie, for example. But
> hard cheeses freeze just fine. So does corned beef brisket.
>
> Jill

I have frozen brie, mostly to stop myself from continuing to eat it, but it
doesn't thaw the same at all, I use it in things like quiche with other
cheeses at that point so it doesn't go to waste.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 9/23/2018 10:21 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> I believe it was Sheldon (I could be wrong) who claims you cannot freeze
>>> it because of the way it's cured (IIRC, pickling salt). I've been
>>> freezing corned beef briskets for years, no problems.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Yes, it was Sheldon, on March 21, 2009 (and probably on at least one
>> subsequent occasion):
>>
>>> I wouldn't, corned beef in its plastic package is much too salty to
>>> freeze,
>>> probably won't even freeze solid in a home freezer.

>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

> Thank you, Cindy! I was pretty sure it was his proclamation. After all,
> he grew up in Brooklyn so he allegedly knows all about corned beef. My
> guess is he never tried freezing it. It works just fine.
>
> Jill

He does come up with some pretty weird "never can/should do" things.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/23/2018 11:20 AM, Cheri wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> Me too.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> I haven't found much in terms of food that cannot be frozen.* Some
>> things might be altered texture-wise.* I wouldn't freeze brie, for
>> example.* But hard cheeses freeze just fine.* So does corned beef
>> brisket.
>>
>> Jill

> I have frozen brie, mostly to stop myself from continuing to eat it, but
> it doesn't thaw the same at all, I use it in things like quiche with
> other cheeses at that point so it doesn't go to waste.
>
> Cheri

Yes, I can imagine it would affect the texture and the meltability (is
that a word?) of brie. Using it in quiche or even in soup, sounds like
it would be fine. Thanks for the heads up!

I freeze crumbled feta. I only ever use it in quiche so it doesn't
really matter. It's tightly sealed. I buy it in the quantity needed
for the quiche (8 oz.) so there are no leftovers. But it freezes
beautifully until I'm ready to use it. I'm sure the texture would
remain the same for sprinkling over a salad or into soup.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/23/2018 3:49 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown"Â* wrote in message ...
> On 9/21/2018 5:46 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> Aside from St. Patrick's day we often forget about corned beef during
>> the year.Â* one caught my eye a couple of days ago so in the cart at
>> BJ's it went.
>>
>> Started it cooking late morning so we had the beef with carrots,
>> potatoes, cabbage for a late lunch.Â* I invited one of my friends (who
>> was also a coworker before we retired) knowing she enjoys it too.
>> Made for a nice afternoon.

> Thank you for reminding me, Ed!Â* I usually cook corned beef brisket
> twice a year.Â* I buy two and freeze one.Â* (Can't wait for someone to
> tell me it is impossible to freeze corned beef brisket).Â* I cook one
> around St. Patrick's Day.Â* I freeze the other for the start of Fall.
>
> I bought a nice head of cabbage and new potatoes at the farm stand. I'll
> be cooking corned beef and cabbage in the coming week.
>
> Jill
>
> ==
>
> Why are you not supposed to freeze it??

It has been cured with a salt brine solution. When you freeze cured
meats, some will lose texture. Some are just fine. I froze some ham
once and it was all watery when defrosted.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/23/2018 11:21 AM, Cheri wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> Yes, it was Sheldon, on March 21, 2009* (and probably on at least one
>>> subsequent occasion):

>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> Thank you, Cindy!* I was pretty sure it was his proclamation.* After
>> all, he grew up in Brooklyn so he allegedly knows all about corned
>> beef. My guess is he never tried freezing it.* It works just fine.
>>
>> Jill

> He does come up with some pretty weird "never can/should do" things.
>
> Cheri

He sure does. I'm not sure where he comes up with these notions. Maybe
he has a sucky freezer?

I do vaguely recall him posting about cooking corned beef brisket. In
the oven. Seems to me there was foil and Dijon mustard involved.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/23/2018 11:44 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 9/23/2018 3:49 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "jmcquown"Â* wrote in message ...
>> On 9/21/2018 5:46 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>> Aside from St. Patrick's day we often forget about corned beef during
>>> the year.Â* one caught my eye a couple of days ago so in the cart at
>>> BJ's it went.
>>>
>>> Started it cooking late morning so we had the beef with carrots,
>>> potatoes, cabbage for a late lunch.Â* I invited one of my friends (who
>>> was also a coworker before we retired) knowing she enjoys it too.
>>> Made for a nice afternoon.

>> Thank you for reminding me, Ed!Â* I usually cook corned beef brisket
>> twice a year.Â* I buy two and freeze one.Â* (Can't wait for someone to
>> tell me it is impossible to freeze corned beef brisket).Â* I cook one
>> around St. Patrick's Day.Â* I freeze the other for the start of Fall.
>>
>> I bought a nice head of cabbage and new potatoes at the farm stand.
>> I'll be cooking corned beef and cabbage in the coming week.
>>
>> Jill
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Why are you not supposed to freeze it??
>>

> It has been cured with a salt brine solution.Â* When you freeze cured
> meats, some will lose texture.Â* Some are just fine.Â* I froze some ham
> once and it was all watery when defrosted.

I haven't had that problem with corned beef brisket. The only ones I
see are not frozen but are vacuum sealed. They don't suffer from 6
months in the freezer. That's why I buy two when the price is the best
(still not cheap) and put one in the freezer for Fall.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 9/23/2018 11:20 AM, Cheri wrote:

>>> I haven't found much in terms of food that cannot be frozen. Some things
>>> might be altered texture-wise. I wouldn't freeze brie, for example. But
>>> hard cheeses freeze just fine. So does corned beef brisket.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I have frozen brie, mostly to stop myself from continuing to eat it, but
>> it doesn't thaw the same at all, I use it in things like quiche with
>> other cheeses at that point so it doesn't go to waste.
>>
>> Cheri

> Yes, I can imagine it would affect the texture and the meltability (is
> that a word?) of brie. Using it in quiche or even in soup, sounds like it
> would be fine. Thanks for the heads up!
>
> I freeze crumbled feta. I only ever use it in quiche so it doesn't really
> matter. It's tightly sealed. I buy it in the quantity needed for the
> quiche (8 oz.) so there are no leftovers. But it freezes beautifully
> until I'm ready to use it. I'm sure the texture would remain the same for
> sprinkling over a salad or into soup.
>
> Jill

Mealy texture, and *meltability* is exactly the word I was looking for when
thawing frozen brie. To me, at that point it's really ruined for any other
use than melting into a recipe.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 9/23/2018 3:49 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "jmcquown"Â wrote in message ...
>> On 9/21/2018 5:46 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>> Aside from St. Patrick's day we often forget about corned beef during
>>> the year. one caught my eye a couple of days ago so in the cart at BJ's
>>> it went.
>>>
>>> Started it cooking late morning so we had the beef with carrots,
>>> potatoes, cabbage for a late lunch. I invited one of my friends (who
>>> was also a coworker before we retired) knowing she enjoys it too. Made
>>> for a nice afternoon.

>> Thank you for reminding me, Ed! I usually cook corned beef brisket twice
>> a year. I buy two and freeze one. (Can't wait for someone to tell me it
>> is impossible to freeze corned beef brisket). I cook one around St.
>> Patrick's Day. I freeze the other for the start of Fall.
>>
>> I bought a nice head of cabbage and new potatoes at the farm stand. I'll
>> be cooking corned beef and cabbage in the coming week.
>>
>> Jill
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Why are you not supposed to freeze it??
>>

> It has been cured with a salt brine solution. When you freeze cured
> meats, some will lose texture. Some are just fine. I froze some ham once
> and it was all watery when defrosted.

Yes, I have had that happen a couple of times with ham, but not often.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 9/23/2018 11:44 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 9/23/2018 3:49 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Thank you for reminding me, Ed! I usually cook corned beef brisket
>>> twice a year. I buy two and freeze one. (Can't wait for someone to
>>> tell me it is impossible to freeze corned beef brisket). I cook one
>>> around St. Patrick's Day. I freeze the other for the start of Fall.
>>>
>>> I bought a nice head of cabbage and new potatoes at the farm stand. I'll
>>> be cooking corned beef and cabbage in the coming week.
>>>
>>> Jill
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Why are you not supposed to freeze it??
>>>

>> It has been cured with a salt brine solution. When you freeze cured
>> meats, some will lose texture. Some are just fine. I froze some ham
>> once and it was all watery when defrosted.

> I haven't had that problem with corned beef brisket. The only ones I see
> are not frozen but are vacuum sealed. They don't suffer from 6 months in
> the freezer. That's why I buy two when the price is the best (still not
> cheap) and put one in the freezer for Fall.
>
> Jill

Never have found cheap in many years.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Sun 23 Sep 2018 08:57:31a, jmcquown told us...

>>> It has been cured with a salt brine solution.ÂÂ* When you freeze
>>> cured meats, some will lose texture.ÂÂ* Some are just fine.ÂÂ* I
>>> froze some ham once and it was all watery when defrosted.

>> I haven't had that problem with corned beef brisket. The only
>> ones I see are not frozen but are vacuum sealed. They don't
>> suffer from 6 months in the freezer. That's why I buy two when
>> the price is the best (still not cheap) and put one in the freezer
>> for Fall.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> I have also frozen corned beef (vacuum sealed) with no problem.
> However, I have since cooked that one and they're not often available
> this time of year.
>
> I've been longing for a corned beef and cabbage meal. I'm tempted
> to go to one of the two Irish pubs in our area and have a C&B meal
> there.

Okay, are you saying there isn't any available in the grocery store?

I have a freezer for a reason. I buy it when it's allegedly on sale.
Buy two and freeze one.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jay" wrote in message news
On 9/23/18 3:47 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> The Hash is a recipe from when he was a lad and I think the taste is as
> good as the memories they bring with them) I've seen other CB hash
> but not just the same as this one
>
> The Corned Beef Savoury Pudding is one I found in a very old cook book
> That was a lucky find!!

Those sound really good especially the corned beef savory pudding!!
Going to see if google knows about it.

===

It was in a Very Old cook book. If not get back to me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...

On 9/23/2018 3:49 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown" wrote in message ...
> On 9/21/2018 5:46 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> Aside from St. Patrick's day we often forget about corned beef during
>> the year. one caught my eye a couple of days ago so in the cart at
>> BJ's it went.
>>
>> Started it cooking late morning so we had the beef with carrots,
>> potatoes, cabbage for a late lunch. I invited one of my friends (who
>> was also a coworker before we retired) knowing she enjoys it too.
>> Made for a nice afternoon.

> Thank you for reminding me, Ed! I usually cook corned beef brisket
> twice a year. I buy two and freeze one. (Can't wait for someone to
> tell me it is impossible to freeze corned beef brisket). I cook one
> around St. Patrick's Day. I freeze the other for the start of Fall.
>
> I bought a nice head of cabbage and new potatoes at the farm stand. I'll
> be cooking corned beef and cabbage in the coming week.
>
> Jill
>
> ==
>
> Why are you not supposed to freeze it??

It has been cured with a salt brine solution. When you freeze cured
meats, some will lose texture. Some are just fine. I froze some ham
once and it was all watery when defrosted.
==

Oh! Right! Something to check up on.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/23/2018 11:57 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 9/23/2018 11:44 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 9/23/2018 3:49 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Thank you for reminding me, Ed!Â* I usually cook corned beef brisket
>>> twice a year.Â* I buy two and freeze one.Â* (Can't wait for someone to
>>> tell me it is impossible to freeze corned beef brisket).Â* I cook one
>>> around St. Patrick's Day.Â* I freeze the other for the start of Fall.
>>>
>>> I bought a nice head of cabbage and new potatoes at the farm stand.
>>> I'll be cooking corned beef and cabbage in the coming week.
>>>
>>> Jill
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Why are you not supposed to freeze it??
>>>

>> It has been cured with a salt brine solution.Â* When you freeze cured
>> meats, some will lose texture.Â* Some are just fine.Â* I froze some ham
>> once and it was all watery when defrosted.

> I haven't had that problem with corned beef brisket.Â* The only ones I
> see are not frozen but are vacuum sealed.Â* They don't suffer from 6
> months in the freezer.Â* That's why I buy two when the price is the best
> (still not cheap) and put one in the freezer for Fall.
>
> Jill

I've done that too. I'm guessing the ham was either injected with more
water or, the cellular structure of the meat itself may be different.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/23/2018 12:21 PM, Cheri wrote:

>>> I have frozen brie, mostly to stop myself from continuing to eat it,
>>> but it doesn't thaw the same at all, I use it in things like quiche
>>> with other cheeses at that point so it doesn't go to waste.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> Yes, I can imagine it would affect the texture and the meltability (is
>> that a word?) of brie.* Using it in quiche or even in soup, sounds
>> like it would be fine.* Thanks for the heads up!
>>
>> I freeze crumbled feta.* I only ever use it in quiche so it doesn't
>> really matter.* It's tightly sealed.* I buy it in the quantity needed
>> for the quiche (8 oz.) so there are no leftovers.* But it freezes
>> beautifully until I'm ready to use it.* I'm sure the texture would
>> remain the same for sprinkling over a salad or into soup.
>>
>> Jill

> Mealy texture, and *meltability* is exactly the word I was looking for
> when thawing frozen brie. To me, at that point it's really ruined for
> any other use than melting into a recipe.
>
> Cheri

"Meltability" is certainly descriptive! We've maybe coined a phrase.
Don't throw it out, but use it in soup or a quiche or with eggs. I
love the idea.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-09-23 10:11 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sun 23 Sep 2018 08:57:31a, jmcquown told us...

>>> It has been cured with a salt brine solution.ÂÂ* When you freeze
>>> cured meats, some will lose texture.ÂÂ* Some are just fine.ÂÂ* I
>>> froze some ham once and it was all watery when defrosted.

>> I haven't had that problem with corned beef brisket. The only
>> ones I see are not frozen but are vacuum sealed. They don't
>> suffer from 6 months in the freezer. That's why I buy two when
>> the price is the best (still not cheap) and put one in the freezer
>> for Fall.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> I have also frozen corned beef (vacuum sealed) with no problem.
> However, I have since cooked that one and they're not often available
> this time of year.
>
> I've been longing for a corned beef and cabbage meal. I'm tempted
> to go to one of the two Irish pubs in our area and have a C&B meal
> there.

As long as you don't have to put up with any of their dreadful banshee
music:-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 9/23/2018 12:21 PM, Cheri wrote:

>>> Yes, I can imagine it would affect the texture and the meltability (is
>>> that a word?) of brie. Using it in quiche or even in soup, sounds like
>>> it would be fine. Thanks for the heads up!
>>>
>>> I freeze crumbled feta. I only ever use it in quiche so it doesn't
>>> really matter. It's tightly sealed. I buy it in the quantity needed for
>>> the quiche (8 oz.) so there are no leftovers. But it freezes beautifully
>>> until I'm ready to use it. I'm sure the texture would remain the same
>>> for sprinkling over a salad or into soup.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Mealy texture, and *meltability* is exactly the word I was looking for
>> when thawing frozen brie. To me, at that point it's really ruined for any
>> other use than melting into a recipe.
>>
>> Cheri

> "Meltability" is certainly descriptive! We've maybe coined a phrase.
> Don't throw it out, but use it in soup or a quiche or with eggs. I love
> the idea.
>
> Jill

Truly, is there anyone who would not know what *meltability* means?
Unfortunately, it's already a word.

Cheri

"meltability
NOUN The capacity to be melted; the extent to which a substance melts.
Origin
Mid 19th century; earliest use found in Charles Dickens (1812–1870),
novelist. From meltable + -ity: see -bility."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 07:21:29 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, September 23, 2018 at 9:06:45 AM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:
>> On 9/23/2018 3:49 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>> > Thank you for reminding me, Ed!* I usually cook corned beef brisket
>> > twice a year.* I buy two and freeze one.* (Can't wait for someone to
>> > tell me it is impossible to freeze corned beef brisket).* I cook one
>> > around St. Patrick's Day.* I freeze the other for the start of Fall.
>> >
>> > I bought a nice head of cabbage and new potatoes at the farm stand. I'll
>> > be cooking corned beef and cabbage in the coming week.
>> >
>> > Jill
>> >
>> > ==
>> >
>> > Why are you not supposed to freeze it??
>> >

>> I believe it was Sheldon (I could be wrong) who claims you cannot freeze
>> it because of the way it's cured (IIRC, pickling salt). I've been
>> freezing corned beef briskets for years, no problems.
>>
>> Jill

>Yes, it was Sheldon, on March 21, 2009 (and probably on at least one
>subsequent occasion):
>
>> I wouldn't, corned beef in its plastic package is much too salty to freeze,
>> probably won't even freeze solid in a home freezer.

>Cindy Hamilton

Corned beef can be frozen, everything can be frozen, but corned beef
and other salted meats do not freeze well and their freezer shelf life
is fairly short.... hot dogs, bacon and such are recommeded to keep
frozen for no more than three months.... I've noticed that freezing
hotdogs for one month alters their texture.
If I wanted to freeze corned beef I'd cook it first to remove much of
the salts. When I cook corned beef I simmer it twice, first batch of
water gets dumped... and I don't freeze corned beef but I don't want
to eat all those salts/nitrites.... same reason I prefer simmered
hotdogs. With corned beef I add fresh pickling spice for the second
simmer, in one of those mesh tea balls so the spices are easy to
remove. I don't use the spices in the little packet included, that's
very cheap pickling spice, mostly mustard seed, the cheapest spice
there is. Penzeys offers a very good pickling spice for corned beef
and that's what I buy, even for my pickled cukes.