mary

Default Big Green Egg Smoker

There was an article in the local paper about the "Big Green Egg Smoker",
and I checked some prices and they appear to sell in the $300 range. Also it
appears that they are rather delicate. I checked on Ebay, and a person had
one for sell that had cracked just after he had purchased it.

Has anyone had any experience with them, and are they worth the price? What
about the delicate nature of the item?

Thanks

Tom

BOB

mary (or Tom) wrote:
> There was an article in the local paper about the "Big Green Egg Smoker",
> and I checked some prices and they appear to sell in the $300 range.

I'd bet that the $300 one is the "Mini", the smallest of the 4 sizes available.
I have one of the "Minis".

> Also it
> appears that they are rather delicate. I checked on Ebay, and a person had
> one for sell that had cracked just after he had purchased it.

Delicate only if you let them be. They are very versitile cookers. You can
grill/sear at temperatures in excess of 800° F. Or you can set them up to cook
low-and-slow for real smoked barbecue. Also, anything that you can cook in your
oven, you can cook in a ceramic charcoal cooker.

> Has anyone had any experience with them, and are they worth the price? What
> about the delicate nature of the item?

As I mentioned above, I own a "Mini" egg. I also own 3 Kamados (www.kamado.com)
which *I* think are the superior product, YMMV. My Kamado #1 is the size of the
small BGE, my #3 Kamado is the size of the medium BGE, and my #5 Kamado is the
size of the Large BGE. Kamado also has an even larger #7, and the hugely
oversized #9, with an even larger #1 in research and development.

So...yes, I think they are probably worth the price, and nodelicate is *not* a
term that I would use to describe any of the modern ones. There are some older
Kamados *and* older BGEs that were made from clay and/or clay like materials
that *are* definately delicate, but any manufactured in the last few years
aren't delicate.

BOB
eating a couple of burgers grilled for a couple of minutes on each side, and a
slice of Vadalia Onion pie, all cooked on the Kamados.