Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

Default don't throw it out!

https://www.consumerreports.org/food...s-safe-to-eat/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

18 Sep 2018 17 ImStillMags wrote:

>https://www.consumerreports.org/food...s-safe-to-eat/

For me it's easy, I toss lots out my window for the critters,they get
all produce trimmings, crows get all meat trimmings, canteloupe seeds
disappear fast:
https://postimg.cc/GT0VKWcw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> 18 Sep 2018 17 ImStillMags wrote:
>>
>>https://www.consumerreports.org/food...s-safe-to-eat/

> For me it's easy, I toss lots out my window for the critters,they get
> all produce trimmings, crows get all meat trimmings, canteloupe seeds
> disappear fast:
> https://postimg.cc/GT0VKWcw

I very seldomly throw things away, I determine by smell/color if something
is past it's use by date and I'm going to eat it. I hate crows and wouldn't
want them around. The neighbor used to have two huge pine trees where they
would roost but he cut them down to the ground a couple of years ago, now
they're gone. Good.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> 18 Sep 2018 17 ImStillMags wrote:

https://www.consumerreports.org/food...s-safe-to-eat/

> For me it's easy, I toss lots out my window for the critters,they get
> all produce trimmings, crows get all meat trimmings, canteloupe seeds
> disappear fast:
> https://postimg.cc/GT0VKWcw

And yoose place smells just like the local landfill (on the day before
they doze it to cover up the rotting refuse).

Jeazus Popeye, yoose are disgusting.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message
news
> > wrote in message
>> 18 Sep 2018 17 ImStillMags wrote:
>>>
>>>https://www.consumerreports.org/food...s-safe-to-eat/

>> For me it's easy, I toss lots out my window for the critters,they get
>> all produce trimmings, crows get all meat trimmings, canteloupe seeds
>> disappear fast:
>> https://postimg.cc/GT0VKWcw
>>

> I very seldomly throw things away, I determine by smell/color if something
> is past it's use by date and I'm going to eat it. I hate crows and
> wouldn't want them around. The neighbor used to have two huge pine trees
> where they would roost but he cut them down to the ground a couple of
> years ago, now they're gone. Good.

I make an effort to use it up before it goes bad. I've had a few screw ups
recently with packaged meat that I thought I had a much longer shelf life
than it did. And the small hunk of cheese that I bailed into the fridge,
thinking I'd eat it later. I forgot about it and didn't wrap it well so it
got hard. Once in a while I'll find something in the produce drawer that is
to bad to trim up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 18:03:56 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .
>> 18 Sep 2018 17 ImStillMags wrote:
>>>
>>>https://www.consumerreports.org/food...s-safe-to-eat/

>> For me it's easy, I toss lots out my window for the critters,they get
>> all produce trimmings, crows get all meat trimmings, canteloupe seeds
>> disappear fast:
>> https://postimg.cc/GT0VKWcw
>>

>I very seldomly throw things away, I determine by smell/color if something
>is past it's use by date and I'm going to eat it. I hate crows and wouldn't
>want them around. The neighbor used to have two huge pine trees where they
>would roost but he cut them down to the ground a couple of years ago, now
>they're gone. Good.
>
>Cheri

I agree, seldom ditch anything however, I love crows. They are
exceptionally intelligent birds, they learn to talk more easily than
parrots and budgies and are known to use 'tools'.

They grew to trust me at my last house and would come to feed on the
deck whilst I was sitting there. I used to say Hello Mr Crow to them
hoping they would learn and perhaps say it elsewhere on another deck
and scare the shit out of someone
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/19/2018 6:58 AM, wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 18:03:56 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>> > wrote in message
>>> 18 Sep 2018 17 ImStillMags wrote:

https://www.consumerreports.org/food...s-safe-to-eat/

>>> For me it's easy, I toss lots out my window for the critters,they get
>>> all produce trimmings, crows get all meat trimmings, canteloupe seeds
>>> disappear fast:
>>> https://postimg.cc/GT0VKWcw
>>>

>> I very seldomly throw things away, I determine by smell/color if something
>> is past it's use by date and I'm going to eat it. I hate crows and wouldn't
>> want them around. The neighbor used to have two huge pine trees where they
>> would roost but he cut them down to the ground a couple of years ago, now
>> they're gone. Good.
>>
>> Cheri

> I agree, seldom ditch anything however, I love crows. They are
> exceptionally intelligent birds, they learn to talk more easily than
> parrots and budgies and are known to use 'tools'.
>
> They grew to trust me at my last house and would come to feed on the
> deck whilst I was sitting there. I used to say Hello Mr Crow to them
> hoping they would learn and perhaps say it elsewhere on another deck
> and scare the shit out of someone

LOL That would be funny!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-09-19 10:03 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

> We were in a pet store once, looking at cat or dog supplies.Â* The
> woman at the desk said Hello.Â* Hello!Â* Couple of minutes later,
> Hello.Â* Uh, Hi.Â* Then, Hello.Â* Lady, it's still us.Â* Then I see the
> bird sitting in a cage, trying to say Hello.

There was a pet shop in our town that had a parrot who said Hello to
people coming in and Bye to people leaving. He was a little brighter
than the average parrot who would just be uttering things almost randomly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/19/2018 10:37 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-09-19 10:03 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>> We were in a pet store once, looking at cat or dog supplies.Â* The
>> woman at the desk said Hello.Â* Hello!Â* Couple of minutes later,
>> Hello.Â* Uh, Hi.Â* Then, Hello.Â* Lady, it's still us.Â* Then I see the
>> bird sitting in a cage, trying to say Hello.
>>

> There was a pet shop in our town that had a parrot who said Hello to
> people coming in and Bye to people leaving.Â* He was a little brighter
> than the average parrot who would just be uttering things almost randomly.

I have heard of birds making appropriate comments to what is going
on, I know the experts say they are simply mimicking sounds but those
same experts are learning more and more about animal abilities and
emotions all the time.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 10:41:21 -0400, Nancy Young >
wrote:

>On 9/19/2018 10:37 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2018-09-19 10:03 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>>>
>>> We were in a pet store once, looking at cat or dog supplies.* The
>>> woman at the desk said Hello.* Hello!* Couple of minutes later,
>>> Hello.* Uh, Hi.* Then, Hello.* Lady, it's still us.* Then I see the
>>> bird sitting in a cage, trying to say Hello.
>>>

>> There was a pet shop in our town that had a parrot who said Hello to
>> people coming in and Bye to people leaving.* He was a little brighter
>> than the average parrot who would just be uttering things almost randomly.

>I have heard of birds making appropriate comments to what is going
>on, I know the experts say they are simply mimicking sounds but those
>same experts are learning more and more about animal abilities and
>emotions all the time.
>
>nancy

My parrot had been with a family before ours who maybe got rid of him
when a baby was born. If a child came to our house he would instantly
start crying like a newborn! It was so funny, but there had to be a
child in sight for him to do it.

When I first had him my mothers two Siamese cats thought they saw
food. They only attacked once, they had some nasty bites My
father trimmed his flight feathers so that he could spend most of his
day out of his cage, he even used to go in the garden.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/19/2018 11:25 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 9/19/2018 10:54 AM, graham wrote:

>> My Grandmother trained her budgie to say "The boss is coming" when it
>> spotted my Grandfather on his way home.

Nice warning system.

> I never could get my budgies (I grew up with them) to talk.Â* But one of
> them did learn to imitate a neighbors' barking dog.Â* As best a budgie
> could.Â* Ruff, ruff, ruff. LOL

Like it's not bad enough the neighbor has a barking dog. (laugh)

I know this is mimicking but it still made me laugh, someone had
a bird that would amuse itself by sounding like a ringing phone,
then it would say Hi Mom! then chattering noises then Goodbye!

So funny.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 11:20:15 -0400, Nancy Young >
wrote:

>On 9/19/2018 10:53 AM, wrote:
>> On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 10:41:21 -0400, Nancy Young >
>> wrote:

>>> I have heard of birds making appropriate comments to what is going
>>> on, I know the experts say they are simply mimicking sounds but those
>>> same experts are learning more and more about animal abilities and
>>> emotions all the time.

>> My parrot had been with a family before ours who maybe got rid of him
>> when a baby was born. If a child came to our house he would instantly
>> start crying like a newborn! It was so funny, but there had to be a
>> child in sight for him to do it.

>Funny, but annoying! Heh.
>
>> When I first had him my mothers two Siamese cats thought they saw
>> food. They only attacked once, they had some nasty bites

>They had no idea what they were getting into. Came to an understanding
>after that.
>
>> My
>> father trimmed his flight feathers so that he could spend most of his
>> day out of his cage, he even used to go in the garden.

>I would love a bird but then I know they require attention and care and
>one would outlive me.
>
>nancy

Parrots are good for 70/80 years, but mine was not young when my
father got him for me. He died just after I returned to the UK to be
married. The vet confirmed old age.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> They always say talking birds only imitate and do not understand what
>>> they say, however the parrot I had as a child knew perfectly well, it
>>> always made perfect sense.
>>>

>> My Grandmother trained her budgie to say "The boss is coming" when it
>> spotted my Grandfather on his way home.

>I never could get my budgies (I grew up with them) to talk. But one of
>them did learn to imitate a neighbors' barking dog. As best a budgie
>could. Ruff, ruff, ruff. LOL
>
>Jill

My MILs budgies always talked, they say it should be one person
teaching them until they start and preferably a female voice works
best.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 16:09:39 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Wed 19 Sep 2018 08:22:00a, jmcquown told us...

>>> Comical, can you imagine?
>>>
>>> We were in a pet store once, looking at cat or dog supplies.Â*
>>> The woman at the desk said Hello.Â* Hello!Â* Couple of minutes
>>> later, Hello.Â* Uh, Hi.Â* Then, Hello.Â* Lady, it's still us.Â*
>>> Then I see the bird sitting in a cage, trying to say Hello.
>>>
>>> nancy

>> Smart talking birds are interesting. A crow showing up in the
>> back yard saying "hello" would be astonishing! I see crows in
>> my back yard occasionally. They are usually looking for water.
>> I've never heard one talk. That would be a great surprise!
>>
>> Jill
>>

>When I was a young kid my grandfather told me that you have to split
>the tongue of a crow for it to be able to talk. When I was a teen he
>had caught a crow and split its tongue nearly a year before we were
>there to visit. He had taught it to say half a dozen words.

Yikes wouldn't want to do that to a crow
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 9/19/2018 10:37 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2018-09-19 10:03 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>>>
>>> We were in a pet store once, looking at cat or dog supplies. The
>>> woman at the desk said Hello. Hello! Couple of minutes later,
>>> Hello. Uh, Hi. Then, Hello. Lady, it's still us. Then I see the
>>> bird sitting in a cage, trying to say Hello.
>>>

>> There was a pet shop in our town that had a parrot who said Hello to
>> people coming in and Bye to people leaving. He was a little brighter
>> than the average parrot who would just be uttering things almost
>> randomly.

> I have heard of birds making appropriate comments to what is going
> on, I know the experts say they are simply mimicking sounds but those
> same experts are learning more and more about animal abilities and
> emotions all the time.
>
> nancy

I bought a Mynah bird at a garage many years ago, he could only say..."I'm
Doc, ya wanna dime?" I have no idea why he was taught that, I kept him for
several months, never learned anything else, but he was one mean bird, so I
gave him to my brother. I never gave it much thought at the time, but he was
probably well bonded to the original owner.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-09-19 11:22 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> Smart talking birds are interesting.Â* A crow showing up in the back yard
> saying "hello" would be astonishing! Â* I see crows in my back yard
> occasionally.Â* They are usually looking for water.Â* I've never heard one
> talk.Â* That would be a great surprise!

When I was a kid my neighbour had a pet crow. I don't remember how he
acquired it, but it lived outdoors and was not caged. He just stuck
around and loved to be with people. My mother was not impressed because
he used to come over to our house and sit on my bedroom window sill and
would crap down the wall. He used to follow me around on my paper
route, and within a short time he learned the route well enough that he
would fly ahead and wait for me at the next house.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-09-19 11:25 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> I never could get my budgies (I grew up with them) to talk.Â* But one of
> them did learn to imitate a neighbors' barking dog.Â* As best a budgie
> could.Â* Ruff, ruff, ruff. LOL

There is a strange woman who comes to the leash free dog park once in a
while. I won't even try to say its name because she always corrects
people about that and says it is the Irish spelling, like who gives a
crap. One day she told us about a parrot she had that would bark like a
dog. Apparently the mail man was really impressed one day when he
brought the mail. Mid afternoon the mailman showed up with 6 of his
fellow mailmen because they didn't believe him about the barking parrot.
I could have swallowed the barking parrot bit, but the postal workers
getting time to go over to her house to check it out is a bit of a
stretch, especially since she lives in a new subdivision that has super
boxes instead of house delivery.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 09:44:42 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

>>> There was a pet shop in our town that had a parrot who said Hello to
>>> people coming in and Bye to people leaving. He was a little brighter
>>> than the average parrot who would just be uttering things almost
>>> randomly.

>> I have heard of birds making appropriate comments to what is going
>> on, I know the experts say they are simply mimicking sounds but those
>> same experts are learning more and more about animal abilities and
>> emotions all the time.
>>
>> nancy

>I bought a Mynah bird at a garage many years ago, he could only say..."I'm
>Doc, ya wanna dime?" I have no idea why he was taught that, I kept him for
>several months, never learned anything else, but he was one mean bird, so I
>gave him to my brother. I never gave it much thought at the time, but he was
>probably well bonded to the original owner.
>
>Cheri

As a kid I came home from the market with a Mynah, my mother made me
take him back because they are on the messy side lol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I usually throw scraps out back to the critters too, but had to stop recently since hubby came face to face with a rather large bear in the back yard, in the pitch black of 4 AM. He heard a noise and turned his flashlight toward the sound only to see this guy staring right at him from about 6' away.. Hubs was able to slowly get back into the porch. The next morning we found that Yogi had decapitated our deer archery target, chewed the legs off of another target, and bit the butt of a third.

Although we have three acres of wooded land, we are in a fairly suburban area. Lots of new developments going on around town and the Bears are looking to relocate, as are the Bobcats.

Denise in NH
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message

> As a kid I came home from the market with a Mynah, my mother made me
> take him back because they are on the messy side lol

Yes, he was very messy as well as mean.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 14:54:19 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Nancy Young wrote:

>> > LOLÂ That would be funny!

>> Comical, can you imagine?
>>
>> We were in a pet store once, looking at cat or dog supplies. The
>> woman at the desk said Hello. Hello! Couple of minutes later,
>> Hello. Uh, Hi. Then, Hello. Lady, it's still us. Then I see the
>> bird sitting in a cage, trying to say Hello.

>A good friend of mine (lives in Canada now), once went to the
>pet store with his wife. He was just tagging along so, as she
>shopped, he stopped by this big parrot in a cage.
>He told us he spent all the time waiting for his wife to
>finish, just saying "F**K" to the bird over and over. LOL
>Then his wife came back finally, saw what he was doing,
>and yelled at him big time.

There was a pet store here had a lovely Macaw and nearby was a high
school. All the kids loved passing by and teaching the parrot to
swear. In the end the poor bird had to live behind glass so passerby
could not hear what he said. I always hoped they felt bad about it,
but don't suppose they did.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> When I was a young kid my grandfather told me that you have to split
> the tongue of a crow for it to be able to talk. When I was a teen he
> had caught a crow and split its tongue nearly a year before we were
> there to visit. He had taught it to say half a dozen words.

And you probably believed that, right? Understandable since you
were a young lad. Hopefully you grew up to learn that was
nonsense.

When I was a young kid, my grandfather would occasionally pop out
his top front teeth. Using his tongue he would push them out an
inch or so. At that time, I didn't know about false teeth so that
seemed likd some cool magic trick to me.

Me and my cousin would be amazed then sit there pulling and
tugging on our front teeth trying to do that too. LOL..
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> When I was a young kid my grandfather told me that you have to split
> the tongue of a crow for it to be able to talk. When I was a teen he
> had caught a crow and split its tongue nearly a year before we were
> there to visit. He had taught it to say half a dozen words.

And you probably believed that, right? Understandable since you
were a young lad. Hopefully you grew up to learn that was
nonsense.

When I was a young kid, my grandfather would occasionally pop out
his top front teeth. Using his tongue he would push them out an
inch or so. At that time, I didn't know about false teeth so that
seemed likd some cool magic trick to me.

Me and my cousin would be amazed then sit there pulling and
tugging on our front teeth trying to do that too. LOL..
==

Awww lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> When I was a young kid my grandfather told me that you have to split
>> the tongue of a crow for it to be able to talk. When I was a teen he
>> had caught a crow and split its tongue nearly a year before we were
>> there to visit. He had taught it to say half a dozen words.

> And you probably believed that, right? Understandable since you
> were a young lad. Hopefully you grew up to learn that was
> nonsense.
>
> When I was a young kid, my grandfather would occasionally pop out
> his top front teeth. Using his tongue he would push them out an
> inch or so. At that time, I didn't know about false teeth so that
> seemed likd some cool magic trick to me.
>
> Me and my cousin would be amazed then sit there pulling and
> tugging on our front teeth trying to do that too. LOL..

Sort of like the old cut off finger trick. It was amazing at the time. LOL

Cheri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
> news > message ...
> > > 18 Sep 2018 17 ImStillMags wrote:

https://www.consumerreports.org/food...s-safe-to-eat/

> > > For me it's easy, I toss lots out my window for the critters,they
> > > get all produce trimmings, crows get all meat trimmings,
> > > canteloupe seeds disappear fast:
> > > https://postimg.cc/GT0VKWcw
> > >

> > I very seldomly throw things away, I determine by smell/color if
> > something is past it's use by date and I'm going to eat it. I hate
> > crows and wouldn't want them around. The neighbor used to have two
> > huge pine trees where they would roost but he cut them down to the
> > ground a couple of years ago, now they're gone. Good.

> I make an effort to use it up before it goes bad. I've had a few
> screw ups recently with packaged meat that I thought I had a much
> longer shelf life than it did. And the small hunk of cheese that I
> bailed into the fridge, thinking I'd eat it later. I forgot about it
> and didn't wrap it well so it got hard. Once in a while I'll find
> something in the produce drawer that is to bad to trim up.

Julie, if you were a person to make yur own bread, that's when the
dried out cheese works. Grate it and add it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
> news > message ...
> > > 18 Sep 2018 17 ImStillMags wrote:

https://www.consumerreports.org/food...s-safe-to-eat/

> > > For me it's easy, I toss lots out my window for the critters,they
> > > get all produce trimmings, crows get all meat trimmings,
> > > canteloupe seeds disappear fast:
> > > https://postimg.cc/GT0VKWcw
> > >

> > I very seldomly throw things away, I determine by smell/color if
> > something is past it's use by date and I'm going to eat it. I hate
> > crows and wouldn't want them around. The neighbor used to have two
> > huge pine trees where they would roost but he cut them down to the
> > ground a couple of years ago, now they're gone. Good.

> I make an effort to use it up before it goes bad. I've had a few
> screw ups recently with packaged meat that I thought I had a much
> longer shelf life than it did. And the small hunk of cheese that I
> bailed into the fridge, thinking I'd eat it later. I forgot about it
> and didn't wrap it well so it got hard. Once in a while I'll find
> something in the produce drawer that is to bad to trim up.

Julie, if you were a person to make yur own bread, that's when the
dried out cheese works. Grate it and add it.

==

Yep!