Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default don't throw it out!

My best friend has four parrots. Only one talks...her late husband taught it to say "bullshit,"
but unfortunately, he only says it at random. LOL.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I don't trust any chart...I keep cooked eggs and dishes with cooked eggs in them like
potato salad only three days; cooked meat only three days; and always follow the "best
by" dates to use something or freeze it. Yes, it costs me money sometimes if I get over-
ambitious with preparation plans, but I have learned what my tummy is super-sensitive to,
and treat it accordingly. I am particularly careful with eggs and meat. But raw eggs, I
tend to keep for a month or more, refrigerated, without problems. Here in egg production
country, the eggs in the stores are pretty fresh.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

https://www.consumerreports.org/food...s-safe-to-eat/

> >> I very seldomly throw things away, I determine by smell/color if
> >> something is past it's use by date and I'm going to eat it. I hate
> >> crows and wouldn't want them around. The neighbor used to have two
> >> huge pine trees where they would roost but he cut them down to the
> >> ground a couple of years ago, now they're gone. Good.

> > I make an effort to use it up before it goes bad. I've had a few
> > screw ups recently with packaged meat that I thought I had a much
> > longer shelf life than it did. And the small hunk of cheese that I
> > bailed into the fridge, thinking I'd eat it later. I forgot about it
> > and didn't wrap it well so it got hard. Once in a while I'll find
> > something in the produce drawer that is to bad to trim up.

> Julie, if you were a person to make yur own bread, that's when the
> dried out cheese works. Grate it and add it.
>
> ==
>
> Yep!

I didnt add any to the dough I am making now but I may make a second
batch. Looking at a sort of flat bread for the second one (let the
machine do the main work) and the bits of leftovers work well.