Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default WAY OT Computer question

On Sunday, September 23, 2018 at 7:17:37 AM UTC-5, songbird wrote:

AND

> Sqwertz wrote:
> >>
> >> https://i.postimg.cc/kX65vBVm/Asus_keyboard.jpg

> > That's the evilist of them all. I had a keyboard that had a much
> > less intrusive power button (and sleep) than that and couldn't be
> > removed. I pitched it after 3 weeks.

> it's a horrible design. in Linux i could figure out how to
> ignore that thing and make it shutdown by software only. the
> bios/uefi may also have some feature to set to ignore it.
>

> songbird

I can truthfully say I've never once pressed the power button by mistake.
Thankfully, it causes no problem for me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 00:10:05 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 08:17:17 -0400, songbird wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:

My HP Pavilion 550SE desk top has the power button on the top of the
tower, at the front right. No image I can find shows a top view:
https://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-5...e sktop&psc=1

My Canon iP2702 printer has the power button on the top, at the rear
right side. Here you can see the power button on top:
https://www.amazon.com/Canon-iP2702-...70_&dpSrc=srch

>>> That's the evilist of them all. I had a keyboard that had a much
>>> less intrusive power button (and sleep) than that and couldn't be
>>> removed. I pitched it after 3 weeks.

>> it's a horrible design. in Linux i could figure out how to
>> ignore that thing and make it shutdown by software only. the
>> bios/uefi may also have some feature to set to ignore it.

>This was a USB-connected keyboard a bunch of years ago, before UEFI.
>I got it at a thrift store. I didn't load any special drivers for it
>so I just assumed those keys would be useless. But somehow it was
>still shutting down and sleeping if I accidentally pressed them. I
>think it also had volume controls, too (which was kinda useful). I
>didn't think keyboards without custom drivers could do that. I
>didn't even other trying to figure it out, just threw it out.
>
>-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/25/2018 8:11 AM, Orlando Enrique Fiol wrote:

> But as for politically correct terms for disabilities, many well intentioned
> people don't realize that the standard old terms are no more pejorative than
> the newfangled ones. Blind, for instance, is simply a Germanic word meaning
> lack of vision. I much prefer it to "visually impaired," or my worst nightmare,
> "visually challenged". Every time I hear that term, I want to crack the
> speaker's skull with my cane. *grin* I of course don't really mean that; I'm a
> committed pacifist. That "visually challenged" crap is some weird linguistic
> tendency in leftist English,

I worked with a deaf guy. He said that same thing, he was deaf, not
hearing impaired. He was Puerto Rican and said he was deaf in two
languages.

I still remember the day three people were paged over the PA system to
come to the office. He was the only one that showed up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-09-25 8:11 AM, Orlando Enrique Fiol wrote:
> In article >, writes:
> These days it's "differently abled"!!
>
> When I started elementary school, they lumped all disabled students together,
> which was why our special ed class had guys in their twenties who couldn't do
> first grade math, and me, who didn't belong there.
>
> But as for politically correct terms for disabilities, many well intentioned
> people don't realize that the standard old terms are no more pejorative than
> the newfangled ones. Blind, for instance, is simply a Germanic word meaning
> lack of vision. I much prefer it to "visually impaired," or my worst nightmare,
> "visually challenged". Every time I hear that term, I want to crack the
> speaker's skull with my cane. *grin* I of course don't really mean that; I'm a
> committed pacifist. That "visually challenged" crap is some weird linguistic
> tendency in leftist English, where no concept can exist in a negative form. So
> they've got to make something "inspirational" out of not being able to see. So
> they make it seem like God "challenges" us blindies to see how we navigate
> life's obstacle course. Sweet Jesus, my God can't possibly operate like that.
>
> P.S. "Retarded" comes from Latin and simply means slowed down.

Mentally retarded was a perfectly valid term in the 1970s when I studied
Psychology and in the 80s when my wife worked in a "School For The
Trainable Mentally Retarded". That was a great school with programs
designed for those who don't learn quickly to develop some life skills
and get some career training. Then some parents came along and insisted
that their special children be integrated into regular classes. The
school board didn't need to be told that twice. They saved a bundle by
closing down the school and sticking the kids into regular classes where
they were taught the regular curriculum and graduated as a certain age
instead of when they learned the material.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" wrote in message news

>"Visually impaired" means that the person is ugly or disfigured.

Is that the nice way of saying "got hit with the ugly stick?"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, September 25, 2018 at 10:57:40 AM UTC-5, MartyB wrote:
> "graham" wrote in message news >
>
> >"Visually impaired" means that the person is ugly or disfigured.

> Is that the nice way of saying "got hit with the ugly stick?"

**** YOU!!

Who hit YOU with the Ugly Stick?

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> There certainly seems to be far too many terms to describe the
> "conditions" that many people have. Is "blind" your term of choice,
> or did I miss that somewhere?
>
> What about "legally blind"? There was the husband of a former
> coworker whom she described as "legally blind". From what I gather he
> could discern light and shadow, but I wonder if there are varying
> degrees within that term.

Legal blindness is a level of vision loss that has been legally defined
to determine eligibility for benefits. In the United States, this refers
to a medically diagnosed central visual acuity of 20/200 or less in the
better eye with the best possible correction, and/or a visual field of
20 degrees or less.

My one grandson is legally blind. He can read with a magnifying glass
and even drives in daylight. Things are not as sharp as normal.