Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What's Cooking?

I was sorely disappointed today. Signed up for delivery of an organic
produce box last week. I was pleased that I was allowed to customize it
because I don't need more of what I'm already growing. The company also said
I would save money. I did not. Last week's box contained all good stuff
except... There were no salad type greens offered. Yes, you can put kale in
a salad but I personally think the taste would be overwhelming so I would
use a small amount mixed with other greens. No other greens were offered.
And instead of getting kale, I got rainbow chard which wasn't even listed!
We actually prefer the chard so that was fine.

Today's box left me steamed. By the time it arrived, the business had closed
for the day. I got no kale at all. No nectarines or celery either. I could
have sworn that I had ordered all of these things. Also thought I ordered
yellow potatoes. I did get some but also two very small Russet potatoes. Now
I realize that some potatoes could be served mixed. Such as all waxy ones
but... Russets? Guess I will have to add those to soup. Also two cucumbers
that I don't think I ordered. I still have most of the one I ordered last
week!

Bottom line, I had to change my plans for dinner. Was going to make a bean
and kale soup unless I got the chard again and I even had a backup plan in
case I got those.

I did get some lovely fennel that I will roast. Rainbow carrots that are
horribly dirty and had the tops on. I don't like paying for the tops. Got
tons of beets with no tops. I did order beets but not nearly that many. The
gardener's goats will be getting the fennel and carrot tops and some of the
beets. I am roasting the bigger beets to make a salad with for tomorrow.
Will have either feta or goat cheese (whatever is cheaper), walnuts and some
red onion. I ordered onions not knowing what kind I might get. Red are
probably my least favorite but they'll go well in this salad. Also some baby
spinach (will have to buy). Balsamic type dressing.

The worst thing is they have designed the website so that there is no way to
no packing slip. They could easily substitute something cheaper or leave
something out and people might not notice. The stuff all comes loose in the
box and they had a very limited selection of stuff to choose from.

So... I canceled my subscription, wrote a complaint to them and signed up
again for Full Circle Farms. I liked them but they used to only allow you to
make a certain number of changes and we kept getting fruit that nobody
wanted. Now the box is totally customizable. You just have to spend at least
as much as what you signed up for to begin with. And you have to watch what
you add to the box. They sell all sorts other things like bread, meat and
jam and those can be pricey. I also hope the listed price of $4.15 for a
single bell pepper was a mistake! Winco had non-organic ones for 45 cents
each two weeks ago or so. Granted they were small but I'd do without a
pepper before I paid that price!

Now to figure out tomorrow's dinner. Will be mostly roasted stuff. The beet
salad, sweet potato fries (baked), probably the roasted fennel. Need to come
up with some kind of meat to go with.

And tonight's dinner? Okay, yesterday's since it's already past midnight...
Some chicken cut in small pieces and pan fried in olive oil mixed with brown
rice, peas and gravy. I ate something else. I would not have had a problem
eating that. It's just that due to blood sugar issues, I needed to eat
sooner than it was done. I just got feedback from the gardener. He said it
was very good!

What's cooking out your way?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 15, 2018 at 3:54:39 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> [...]
> jam and those can be pricey. I also hope the listed price of $4.15 for a
> single bell pepper was a mistake! Winco had non-organic ones for 45 cents
> each two weeks ago or so. Granted they were small but I'd do without a
> pepper before I paid that price!
>
> Now to figure out tomorrow's dinner. Will be mostly roasted stuff. The beet
> salad, sweet potato fries (baked), probably the roasted fennel. Need to come
> up with some kind of meat to go with.
>
> And tonight's dinner? Okay, yesterday's since it's already past midnight...
> Some chicken cut in small pieces and pan fried in olive oil mixed with brown
> rice, peas and gravy. I ate something else. I would not have had a problem
> eating that. It's just that due to blood sugar issues, I needed to eat
> sooner than it was done. I just got feedback from the gardener. He said it

Roasted fennel? Good lord, you have strange tastes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 02:54:27 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>And tonight's dinner? Okay, yesterday's since it's already past midnight...
>Some chicken cut in small pieces and pan fried in olive oil mixed with brown
>rice, peas and gravy. I ate something else. I would not have had a problem
>eating that. It's just that due to blood sugar issues, I needed to eat
>sooner than it was done. I just got feedback from the gardener. He said it
>was very good!

This is a good post, because now all of RFC are getting hot around the
collar over your gardener again.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/15/2018 6:12 AM, Roy wrote:
> On Saturday, September 15, 2018 at 3:54:39 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I was sorely disappointed today. Signed up for delivery of an organic
>> produce box last week.
>>
>> I did get some lovely fennel that I will roast.

> Roasted fennel? Good lord, you have strange tastes.

Lots of people like roasted fennel bulbs. Not my cuppa tea (so to
speak) but it's one of the lesser strange things in her repetoire.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 03:12:15 -0700 (PDT), Roy >
wrote:

> [...]
>> single bell pepper was a mistake! Winco had non-organic ones for 45 cents
>> each two weeks ago or so. Granted they were small but I'd do without a
>> pepper before I paid that price!
>>
>> Now to figure out tomorrow's dinner. Will be mostly roasted stuff. The beet
>> salad, sweet potato fries (baked), probably the roasted fennel. Need to come
>> up with some kind of meat to go with.
>>
>> And tonight's dinner? Okay, yesterday's since it's already past midnight...
>> Some chicken cut in small pieces and pan fried in olive oil mixed with brown
>> rice, peas and gravy. I ate something else. I would not have had a problem
>> eating that. It's just that due to blood sugar issues, I needed to eat
>> sooner than it was done. I just got feedback from the gardener. He said it
>> was very good!
>>
>> What's cooking out your way?

>Roasted fennel? Good lord, you have strange tastes.

What's wrong with fennel? The toothpaste I use is fennel flavored.
I love fennel. I actually like eating fennel bulbs raw, dipped in a
bit of kosher salt. Fennel is excellent roasted or braised. Fennel
fronds are perfect for adding to fish poaching water.... dried fennel
fronds make a perfect rack for grilling fish. I only wish fennel
wasn't so expensive, ~$3 per, and I wish it was easier to grow, I've
tried several times but no luck, goes to seed just as the bulb begins
to form.... they seem to need the central CA climate.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fennel

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, September 14, 2018 at 11:54:39 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> [...]
> jam and those can be pricey. I also hope the listed price of $4.15 for a
> single bell pepper was a mistake! Winco had non-organic ones for 45 cents
> each two weeks ago or so. Granted they were small but I'd do without a
> pepper before I paid that price!
>
> Now to figure out tomorrow's dinner. Will be mostly roasted stuff. The beet
> salad, sweet potato fries (baked), probably the roasted fennel. Need to come
> up with some kind of meat to go with.
>
> And tonight's dinner? Okay, yesterday's since it's already past midnight...
> Some chicken cut in small pieces and pan fried in olive oil mixed with brown
> rice, peas and gravy. I ate something else. I would not have had a problem
> eating that. It's just that due to blood sugar issues, I needed to eat
> sooner than it was done. I just got feedback from the gardener. He said it

Ma po tofu:

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...0HNMkuT5HtziTI
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 15, 2018 at 12:36:01 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> [...]
> >> single bell pepper was a mistake! Winco had non-organic ones for 45 cents
> >> each two weeks ago or so. Granted they were small but I'd do without a
> >> pepper before I paid that price!
> >>
> >> Now to figure out tomorrow's dinner. Will be mostly roasted stuff. The beet
> >> salad, sweet potato fries (baked), probably the roasted fennel. Need to come
> >> up with some kind of meat to go with.
> >>
> >> And tonight's dinner? Okay, yesterday's since it's already past midnight...
> >> Some chicken cut in small pieces and pan fried in olive oil mixed with brown
> >> rice, peas and gravy. I ate something else. I would not have had a problem
> >> eating that. It's just that due to blood sugar issues, I needed to eat
> >> sooner than it was done. I just got feedback from the gardener. He said it
> >> was very good!
> >>
> >> What's cooking out your way?

> >Roasted fennel? Good lord, you have strange tastes.

It tasked like licorice. Ewww.

Mint, on the other hand, is a very tasty salad herb. I'm quite fond of
tearing up some leaves and adding them to the lettuce in a salad. Dressed
with a garlicky lemon vinaigrette--delicious!

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> [...]
>>> rice, peas and gravy. I ate something else. I would not have had a problem
>>> eating that. It's just that due to blood sugar issues, I needed to eat
>>> sooner than it was done. I just got feedback from the gardener. He said it
>>> was very good!
>>>
>>> What's cooking out your way?

>> Roasted fennel? Good lord, you have strange tastes.

> What's wrong with fennel? The toothpaste I use is fennel flavored.
> I love fennel. I actually like eating fennel bulbs raw, dipped in a
> bit of kosher salt. Fennel is excellent roasted or braised. Fennel
> fronds are perfect for adding to fish poaching water.... dried fennel
> fronds make a perfect rack for grilling fish. I only wish fennel
> wasn't so expensive, ~$3 per, and I wish it was easier to grow, I've
> tried several times but no luck, goes to seed just as the bulb begins
> to form.... they seem to need the central CA climate.

Popeye, I bet yoose also use those fennel bulbs as butt plugs too.

Be sure yoose washes them before roasting and serving them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-09-15 1:40 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 02:54:27 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> Today's box left me steamed.

> Life just isn't fair <hrmpf>. What are the chances that any company
> could send you 10 mostly-random foods that you would like?
>
>> What's cooking out your way?

> Nothing that you would like.
>
> -sw

LOL! Perfect response!!!!!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 11:20:11 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Saturday, September 15, 2018 at 12:36:01 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
>> On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 03:12:15 -0700 (PDT), Roy >
>> wrote:

>> >Roasted fennel? Good lord, you have strange tastes.

>> What's wrong with fennel?

>It tasked like licorice. Ewww.

But very mildly. I like fennel, but I wouldn't want liquorice in my
dinner.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote:
> On 2018-09-15 1:40 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 02:54:27 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> Today's box left me steamed.

>> Life just isn't fair <hrmpf>. What are the chances that any company
>> could send you 10 mostly-random foods that you would like?
>>
>>> What's cooking out your way?

>> Nothing that you would like.
>>
>> -sw
>>

> LOL! Perfect response!!!!!!!

That's unfair. I bet she would enjoy the gardener's Bothell Beaver stew
.... with oyster crackers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" > wrote in message
> [...]
>>
>> Now to figure out tomorrow's dinner. Will be mostly roasted stuff. The
>> beet
>> salad, sweet potato fries (baked), probably the roasted fennel. Need to
>> come
>> up with some kind of meat to go with.
>>
>> And tonight's dinner? Okay, yesterday's since it's already past
>> midnight...
>> Some chicken cut in small pieces and pan fried in olive oil mixed with
>> brown
>> rice, peas and gravy. I ate something else. I would not have had a
>> problem
>> eating that. It's just that due to blood sugar issues, I needed to eat
>> sooner than it was done. I just got feedback from the gardener. He said
>> it
>> was very good!
>>
>> What's cooking out your way?

> Roasted fennel? Good lord, you have strange tastes.

I kicked it up a notch. Normally just use salt and olive oil. This time
after roasting, I used pepper and a bit of butter. Heavenly!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> [...]
>>> problem
>>> eating that. It's just that due to blood sugar issues, I needed to eat
>>> sooner than it was done. I just got feedback from the gardener. He said
>>> it
>>> was very good!
>>>
>>> What's cooking out your way?

>>Roasted fennel? Good lord, you have strange tastes.

> What's wrong with fennel? The toothpaste I use is fennel flavored.
> I love fennel. I actually like eating fennel bulbs raw, dipped in a
> bit of kosher salt. Fennel is excellent roasted or braised. Fennel
> fronds are perfect for adding to fish poaching water.... dried fennel
> fronds make a perfect rack for grilling fish. I only wish fennel
> wasn't so expensive, ~$3 per, and I wish it was easier to grow, I've
> tried several times but no luck, goes to seed just as the bulb begins
> to form.... they seem to need the central CA climate.

It is expensive. Only buy it once or twice a year.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Hank Rogers" > wrote in message
news
> wrote:
>> On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 03:12:15 -0700 (PDT), Roy >
>> wrote:

>>> Roasted fennel? Good lord, you have strange tastes.

>> What's wrong with fennel? The toothpaste I use is fennel flavored.
>> I love fennel. I actually like eating fennel bulbs raw, dipped in a
>> bit of kosher salt. Fennel is excellent roasted or braised. Fennel
>> fronds are perfect for adding to fish poaching water.... dried fennel
>> fronds make a perfect rack for grilling fish. I only wish fennel
>> wasn't so expensive, ~$3 per, and I wish it was easier to grow, I've
>> tried several times but no luck, goes to seed just as the bulb begins
>> to form.... they seem to need the central CA climate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fennel

> Popeye, I bet yoose also use those fennel bulbs as butt plugs too.
>
> Be sure yoose washes them before roasting and serving them.

You're confusing that with ginger!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Druce" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 02:54:27 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>And tonight's dinner? Okay, yesterday's since it's already past
>>midnight...
>>Some chicken cut in small pieces and pan fried in olive oil mixed with
>>brown
>>rice, peas and gravy. I ate something else. I would not have had a problem
>>eating that. It's just that due to blood sugar issues, I needed to eat
>>sooner than it was done. I just got feedback from the gardener. He said it
>>was very good!

> This is a good post, because now all of RFC are getting hot around the
> collar over your gardener again.

Oddly enough, no mention of him yet!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> [...]
>> each two weeks ago or so. Granted they were small but I'd do without a
>> pepper before I paid that price!
>>
>> Now to figure out tomorrow's dinner. Will be mostly roasted stuff. The
>> beet
>> salad, sweet potato fries (baked), probably the roasted fennel. Need to
>> come
>> up with some kind of meat to go with.
>>
>> And tonight's dinner? Okay, yesterday's since it's already past
>> midnight...
>> Some chicken cut in small pieces and pan fried in olive oil mixed with
>> brown
>> rice, peas and gravy. I ate something else. I would not have had a
>> problem
>> eating that. It's just that due to blood sugar issues, I needed to eat
>> sooner than it was done. I just got feedback from the gardener. He said

Interesting!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 00:20:11 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Druce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 02:54:27 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>And tonight's dinner? Okay, yesterday's since it's already past
>>>midnight...
>>>Some chicken cut in small pieces and pan fried in olive oil mixed with
>>>brown
>>>rice, peas and gravy. I ate something else. I would not have had a problem
>>>eating that. It's just that due to blood sugar issues, I needed to eat
>>>sooner than it was done. I just got feedback from the gardener. He said it
>>>was very good!

>> This is a good post, because now all of RFC are getting hot around the
>> collar over your gardener again.

>Oddly enough, no mention of him yet!

Maybe you need to subtly refer to him one more time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 16, 2018 at 3:20:18 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Druce" > wrote in message
> > On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 02:54:27 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >>And tonight's dinner? Okay, yesterday's since it's already past
> >>midnight...
> >>Some chicken cut in small pieces and pan fried in olive oil mixed with
> >>brown
> >>rice, peas and gravy. I ate something else. I would not have had a problem
> >>eating that. It's just that due to blood sugar issues, I needed to eat
> >>sooner than it was done. I just got feedback from the gardener. He said it
> >>was very good!

> > This is a good post, because now all of RFC are getting hot around the
> > collar over your gardener again.

> Oddly enough, no mention of him yet!

I just got feedback from the gardener. He said it
was very good!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Druce" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 00:20:11 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Druce" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 02:54:27 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> This is a good post, because now all of RFC are getting hot around the
>>> collar over your gardener again.

>>Oddly enough, no mention of him yet!

> Maybe you need to subtly refer to him one more time.

Who? The gardener? I can't say enough good things about him. Somebody messed
up the garage door. Not the door itself but the sensor for it. Looked like
an easy fix but I couldn't do it. He did a temporary fix and will do it
better later. We were having a bad storm today so it was difficult to work
in that rain. I am very lucky to have him!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 04:07:53 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Druce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 00:20:11 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>>Oddly enough, no mention of him yet!

>> Maybe you need to subtly refer to him one more time.

>Who? The gardener? I can't say enough good things about him. Somebody messed
>up the garage door. Not the door itself but the sensor for it. Looked like
>an easy fix but I couldn't do it. He did a temporary fix and will do it
>better later. We were having a bad storm today so it was difficult to work
>in that rain. I am very lucky to have him!

That'll do it
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 15, 2018 at 4:14:53 PM UTC-4, Druce wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 11:20:11 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Saturday, September 15, 2018 at 12:36:01 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:

> >> What's wrong with fennel?

> >It tasked like licorice. Ewww.

> But very mildly. I like fennel, but I wouldn't want liquorice in my
> dinner.

Your "mild" is someone else's "strong". Everyone's sensory apparatus
is different.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 04:38:29 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Saturday, September 15, 2018 at 4:14:53 PM UTC-4, Druce wrote:
>> On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 11:20:11 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>> >It tasked like licorice. Ewww.

>> But very mildly. I like fennel, but I wouldn't want liquorice in my
>> dinner.

>Your "mild" is someone else's "strong". Everyone's sensory apparatus
>is different.

Certainly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/16/2018 7:38 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Saturday, September 15, 2018 at 4:14:53 PM UTC-4, Druce wrote:
>> On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 11:20:11 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>>> It tasked like licorice. Ewww.

>> But very mildly. I like fennel, but I wouldn't want liquorice in my
>> dinner.

> Your "mild" is someone else's "strong". Everyone's sensory apparatus
> is different.

Like when someone puts chocolate in chili and says you won't taste it,
it'll just have a better flavor.

Tastes like someone put chocolate in my chili. They can have my
mole with chocolate, too.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/16/2018 7:07 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> Who? The gardener? I can't say enough good things about him. Somebody
> messed up the garage door. Not the door itself but the sensor for it.
> Looked like an easy fix but I couldn't do it. He did a temporary fix and
> will do it better later. We were having a bad storm today so it was
> difficult to work in that rain. I am very lucky to have him!

Nice to have someone take care of your needs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-09-16 7:07 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Druce" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 00:20:11 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>> Oddly enough, no mention of him yet!

>> Maybe you need to subtly refer to him one more time.

> Who? The gardener? I can't say enough good things about him. Somebody
> messed up the garage door. Not the door itself but the sensor for it.
> Looked like an easy fix but I couldn't do it. He did a temporary fix and
> will do it better later. We were having a bad storm today so it was
> difficult to work in that rain. I am very lucky to have him!

Really? It is raining too hard to work on a garage door opener?? Dis
someone install it backwards so that the motor and rails on on the outside?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

16 Sep 2018 Druce wrote:
>Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>penmart wrote:

>>> What's wrong with fennel?

>>It tasked like licorice. Ewww.

>But very mildly. I like fennel, but I wouldn't want liquorice in my
>dinner.

Strongly flavored black licorice is another favorite... I glom all the
black jelly beans.
Fennel is very good in a tossed salad. And what would Italian
saw-seege be without fennel?
Last night's dinner, thick pork chops, Popeye spinach, rice, no
fennel:
https://postimg.cc/image/9ezu85to7/
Pork chop bones became a base for a delish soup for today's lunch.
https://postimg.cc/image/7pqr04147/
Peachie slept through lunch, she's doing very well for 16.
https://postimg.cc/image/fjrcla3pj/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/16/2018 10:31 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-09-16 7:07 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "Druce" > wrote in message
>>> On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 00:20:11 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> Maybe you need to subtly refer to him one more time.

>> Who? The gardener? I can't say enough good things about him. Somebody
>> messed up the garage door. Not the door itself but the sensor for it.
>> Looked like an easy fix but I couldn't do it. He did a temporary fix
>> and will do it better later. We were having a bad storm today so it
>> was difficult to work in that rain. I am very lucky to have him!

> Really? It is raining too hard to work on a garage door opener?? Dis
> someone install it backwards so that the motor and rails on on the outside?

She said the sensor. It could mean the reflectors that sense something
in the path. Usually mounted on the rails a foot or two above the
ground and the door would be open to work on them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-09-16 1:16 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 9/16/2018 10:31 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> Who? The gardener? I can't say enough good things about him. Somebody
>>> messed up the garage door. Not the door itself but the sensor for it.
>>> Looked like an easy fix but I couldn't do it. He did a temporary fix
>>> and will do it better later. We were having a bad storm today so it
>>> was difficult to work in that rain. I am very lucky to have him!

>> Really? It is raining too hard to work on a garage door opener?? Dis
>> someone install it backwards so that the motor and rails on on the
>> outside?

> She said the sensor.Â* It could mean the reflectors that sense something
> in the path.Â* Usually mounted on the rails a foot or two above the
> ground and the door would be open to work on them.

Yes. They are mounted on the rails, which are inside the garage, so I
have to wonder why he can't do it in the rain.

I am reminded of the old story about the Irish man whose roof was always
leaking. He could not fix it when it was raining, and when it wasn't
raining the roof didn't leak.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/16/2018 1:31 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-09-16 1:16 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> Really? It is raining too hard to work on a garage door opener?? Dis
>>> someone install it backwards so that the motor and rails on on the
>>> outside?

>> She said the sensor.Â* It could mean the reflectors that sense
>> something in the path.Â* Usually mounted on the rails a foot or two
>> above the ground and the door would be open to work on them.

> Yes. They are mounted on the rails, which are inside the garage, so I
> have to wonder why he can't do it in the rain.
>
> I am reminded of the old story about the Irish man whose roof was always
> leaking. He could not fix it when it was raining, and when it wasn't
> raining the roof didn't leak.

Depends on how hard it is raining and how hard the wind is blowing. I'd
not want to put the door up and down in a storm.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Roy wrote:

> [...]
> > a single bell pepper was a mistake! Winco had non-organic ones for
> > 45 cents each two weeks ago or so. Granted they were small but I'd
> > do without a pepper before I paid that price!
> >
> > Now to figure out tomorrow's dinner. Will be mostly roasted stuff.
> > The beet salad, sweet potato fries (baked), probably the roasted
> > fennel. Need to come up with some kind of meat to go with.
> >
> > And tonight's dinner? Okay, yesterday's since it's already past
> > midnight... Some chicken cut in small pieces and pan fried in
> > olive oil mixed with brown rice, peas and gravy. I ate something
> > else. I would not have had a problem eating that. It's just that
> > due to blood sugar issues, I needed to eat sooner than it was done.
> > I just got feedback from the gardener. He said it was very good!
> >
> > What's cooking out your way?

> Roasted fennel? Good lord, you have strange tastes.

Nothing all that odd about roasted fennel.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 13:02:57 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Roy wrote:
>
>> On Saturday, September 15, 2018 at 3:54:39 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

>> > Now to figure out tomorrow's dinner. Will be mostly roasted stuff.
>> > The beet salad, sweet potato fries (baked), probably the roasted
>> > fennel. Need to come up with some kind of meat to go with.
>> >
>> > What's cooking out your way?

>> Roasted fennel? Good lord, you have strange tastes.

>Nothing all that odd about roasted fennel.

I don't see the problem either.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 9/16/2018 7:07 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>

>> Who? The gardener? I can't say enough good things about him. Somebody
>> messed up the garage door. Not the door itself but the sensor for it.
>> Looked like an easy fix but I couldn't do it. He did a temporary fix and
>> will do it better later. We were having a bad storm today so it was
>> difficult to work in that rain. I am very lucky to have him!

> Nice to have someone take care of your needs.

He's a real sweetie!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2018-09-16 7:07 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "Druce" > wrote in message
>>> On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 00:20:11 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> Maybe you need to subtly refer to him one more time.

>> Who? The gardener? I can't say enough good things about him. Somebody
>> messed up the garage door. Not the door itself but the sensor for it.
>> Looked like an easy fix but I couldn't do it. He did a temporary fix and
>> will do it better later. We were having a bad storm today so it was
>> difficult to work in that rain. I am very lucky to have him!

> Really? It is raining too hard to work on a garage door opener?? Dis
> someone install it backwards so that the motor and rails on on the
> outside?

No but my garage is not typical. It is only called a garage because it has
that type of door. It's not big enough to hold a car. Only a motorcycle or
perhaps a Smart Car but not even sure about that. I keep my extra canned
goods, paper goods and tools out there. The small area is quite full. I have
a ranch style house and there isn't a lot of overhang on the eves. It was
not only raining hard but windy so the rain was blowing into the entrance of
the garage where he was working.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 9/16/2018 10:31 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> Who? The gardener? I can't say enough good things about him. Somebody
>>> messed up the garage door. Not the door itself but the sensor for it.
>>> Looked like an easy fix but I couldn't do it. He did a temporary fix and
>>> will do it better later. We were having a bad storm today so it was
>>> difficult to work in that rain. I am very lucky to have him!

>> Really? It is raining too hard to work on a garage door opener?? Dis
>> someone install it backwards so that the motor and rails on on the
>> outside?

> She said the sensor. It could mean the reflectors that sense something in
> the path. Usually mounted on the rails a foot or two above the ground and
> the door would be open to work on them.

Yes which meant he was having to stand at the entrance to the garage and the
rain was blowing on him from the wind. We've had bad, brief storms the last
few days. Today was funny. The sky opened up. He asked to borrow an umbrella
and as soon as he took it, the rain stopped.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2018-09-16 1:16 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> Really? It is raining too hard to work on a garage door opener?? Dis
>>> someone install it backwards so that the motor and rails on on the
>>> outside?

>> She said the sensor. It could mean the reflectors that sense something in
>> the path. Usually mounted on the rails a foot or two above the ground and
>> the door would be open to work on them.

> Yes. They are mounted on the rails, which are inside the garage, so I have
> to wonder why he can't do it in the rain.

But they're at the opening to the garage. The garage is quite full. He
pretty much had to stand with one foot in and one foot out of the garage.
And the wind was blowing the rain into the garage.

> I am reminded of the old story about the Irish man whose roof was always
> leaking. He could not fix it when it was raining, and when it wasn't
> raining the roof didn't leak.

Uh huh.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 9/16/2018 1:31 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> She said the sensor. It could mean the reflectors that sense something
>>> in the path. Usually mounted on the rails a foot or two above the ground
>>> and the door would be open to work on them.

>> Yes. They are mounted on the rails, which are inside the garage, so I
>> have to wonder why he can't do it in the rain.
>>
>> I am reminded of the old story about the Irish man whose roof was always
>> leaking. He could not fix it when it was raining, and when it wasn't
>> raining the roof didn't leak.
>>

> Depends on how hard it is raining and how hard the wind is blowing. I'd
> not want to put the door up and down in a storm.

It was getting dark as well and the idiots who had the house prior,
installed a light fixture that when the door is open, is covered up by the
door. Only effective for a light when the door is shut. All in all not
working conditions. Plus he was on his way to another job so... Getting it
to where we could close and secure the door was all that we needed at that
point in time. He will fix it properly when he can.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 16:43:06 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>> On 9/16/2018 7:07 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>

>>> Who? The gardener? I can't say enough good things about him. Somebody
>>> messed up the garage door. Not the door itself but the sensor for it.
>>> Looked like an easy fix but I couldn't do it. He did a temporary fix and
>>> will do it better later. We were having a bad storm today so it was
>>> difficult to work in that rain. I am very lucky to have him!

>> Nice to have someone take care of your needs.

>He's a real sweetie!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Sep 2018, Julie Bove wrote:

> I was sorely disappointed today. Signed up for delivery of an organic produce
> box last week. I was pleased that I was allowed to customize it because I
> don't need more of what I'm already growing. The company also said I would
> save money. I did not. Last week's box contained all good stuff except...
> There were no salad type greens offered. Yes, you can put kale in a salad but
> I personally think the taste would be overwhelming so I would use a small
> amount mixed with other greens. No other greens were offered. And instead of
> getting kale, I got rainbow chard which wasn't even listed! We actually
> prefer the chard so that was fine.

Sounds a bit like "Imperfect Produce", which is a subscription service.
You get 2 days to modify the order of stuff they plan to send you. And
yes, they don't let you go back to old invoices and see what you've
already purchased, nor what you paid for each item.

I went VERY modest; every other week, small mixed fruit and veggie box.
Up side is that it gets veggies into my house that I might not put into my
grocery cart otherwise.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"barbie gee" > wrote in message
crg.pbz...

> On Sat, 15 Sep 2018, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I was sorely disappointed today. Signed up for delivery of an organic
>> produce box last week. I was pleased that I was allowed to customize it
>> because I don't need more of what I'm already growing. The company also
>> said I would save money. I did not. Last week's box contained all good
>> stuff except... There were no salad type greens offered. Yes, you can put
>> kale in a salad but I personally think the taste would be overwhelming so
>> I would use a small amount mixed with other greens. No other greens were
>> offered. And instead of getting kale, I got rainbow chard which wasn't
>> even listed! We actually prefer the chard so that was fine.

> Sounds a bit like "Imperfect Produce", which is a subscription service.
> You get 2 days to modify the order of stuff they plan to send you. And
> yes, they don't let you go back to old invoices and see what you've
> already purchased, nor what you paid for each item.
>
> I went VERY modest; every other week, small mixed fruit and veggie box. Up
> side is that it gets veggies into my house that I might not put into my
> grocery cart otherwise.

Not a bit like. It actually WAS them. They did issue a refund for some
things but since I canceled my account, there was no way to check to see
what else was missing. Got a box from Full Circle today. Much better stuff,
much better selection.