FoodBanter.com

-   -   Boiled (in the shell) Peanuts (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/444213-re-boiled-shell-peanuts.html)

Michael OConnor 12-08-2018 06:49 AM

Boiled (in the shell) Peanuts

I love boiled peanuts too, a lot of convenience stores here in the western Carolinas will have crockpots where they sell hot boiled peanuts. I have never bought them so I have no idea how long they have been sitting in the brine. The grocery stores here actually sell boiled peanuts in the can, never bought them either:

https://www.peanutpatchboiledpeanuts.com/

I make them at home by adding to a giant pot, a pound of raw peanuts, 1/3 cup of salt, 2 gallons of water and a smoked ham hock. Let it boil for 2 1/2 hours (if you need more water, slowly add very hot tap water), then you start checking them about every 10 minutes. Pull one out and crack it open and when it is cooked like a bean and not hard or too crunchy, they are done. If not, let it continue cooking. Takes 3 hours or so, and when you think they are all done (try a few to make sure) and then strain them with a collander. They're still going to be wet when you open them up.

There are lots of recipes for making them (including crockpot, which I have never tried), but the true southern way is to add a smoked ham hock to it.

jmcquown[_2_] 14-08-2018 12:31 AM

Boiled (in the shell) Peanuts

On 8/12/2018 1:49 AM, Michael OConnor wrote:
> I love boiled peanuts too, a lot of convenience stores here in the western Carolinas will have crockpots where they sell hot boiled peanuts. I have never bought them so I have no idea how long they have been sitting in the brine. The grocery stores here actually sell boiled peanuts in the can, never bought them either:
>
> https://www.peanutpatchboiledpeanuts.com/

I've seen Peanut Patch canned boiled peanuts in stores but I've never
bought any. The ones I bought were in a bag, produced by a peanut farm
in Ruffin, SC. I have no idea where Ruffin is, other than Colleton
County. (I'm in Beaufort County.)

> I make them at home by adding to a giant pot, a pound of raw peanuts, 1/3 cup of salt, 2 gallons of water and a smoked ham hock. Let it boil for 2 1/2 hours (if you need more water, slowly add very hot tap water), then you start checking them about every 10 minutes. Pull one out and crack it open and when it is cooked like a bean and not hard or too crunchy, they are done. If not, let it continue cooking. Takes 3 hours or so, and when you think they are all done (try a few to make sure) and then strain them with a collander. They're still going to be wet when you open them up.
>
> There are lots of recipes for making them (including crockpot, which I have never tried), but the true southern way is to add a smoked ham hock to it.

I never heard of adding a smoked ham hock to boiled peanuts. The
ingredients in the bag I bought were simply whole raw peanuts, salt and
water. Regional variations are always interesting. :)

Jill