FoodBanter.com

-   -   Boiled (in the shell) Peanuts (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/444210-re-boiled-shell-peanuts.html)

notbob 11-08-2018 06:51 PM

Boiled (in the shell) Peanuts

On 2018-08-11, jmcquown > wrote:

> I first tasted boiled peanuts when I lived in Memphis but I can't
> remember why. It's more a deep south thing than a mid-south thing.

Never seen/ate 'em in TN, when I lived there in the late 60s. Made
'em myself in a mini-slo cooker, yrs later. Quite tasty, as I recall,
but not tasty enough to do twice.

Maybe, if I could buy them on the side of the road. ;)

nb --nor plagued by peanuts

jmcquown[_2_] 11-08-2018 07:01 PM

Boiled (in the shell) Peanuts

On 8/11/2018 1:51 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2018-08-11, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> I first tasted boiled peanuts when I lived in Memphis but I can't
>> remember why. It's more a deep south thing than a mid-south thing.

> Never seen/ate 'em in TN, when I lived there in the late 60s. Made
> 'em myself in a mini-slo cooker, yrs later. Quite tasty, as I recall,
> but not tasty enough to do twice.

I made them myself once when I lived in Memphis... not sure why. I
didn't use a slow cooker, just heavily salted water and slow simmered on
the stove top. They were tasty but the peanuts weren't the same as what
I find in SC.

> Maybe, if I could buy them on the side of the road. ;)
>
> nb --nor plagued by peanuts

I don't know what you mean by "plagued". I'm about to heat them up and
have some as a snack. I'm looking forward to the taste after many years. :)

Jill

notbob 12-08-2018 02:26 PM

Boiled (in the shell) Peanuts

On 8/11/2018 12:01 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> On 8/11/2018 1:51 PM, notbob wrote:

>> nb --nor plagued by peanuts

> I don't know what you mean by "plagued".

What with all these peanut "allergies", I gotta wonder.

From my point of view, "plagued"=allergy. I'v been eating them since I
was a wee tyke, like when my grandparents put out a bowl of 'em whenever
my father went over to visit, to keep me and my brother from wanting
candy.

I LOVE peanuts! ;)

nb

Dave Smith[_1_] 12-08-2018 05:01 PM

Boiled (in the shell) Peanuts

On 2018-08-12 10:41 AM, Cheri wrote:
> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message

>> I've known very few adults who claim to have nut allergies, peanut or
>> othrwise, especially in older adults.Â* It seems to be more prevalent
>> from the age of young children thru the 30s or perhaps 40s.Â* It also
>> appars that more people have reactions if they actually eat the nuts
>> than if merely exposed to them in an enclosed space.

Nuts tend to bother me. I think it is more of a digestive issue and
possible diverticulitis than an allergy. I can eat a couple peanuts or
peanut butter cookies. I can get away with eating a few cashews of some
slivered almonds. Walnuts and pecans cause more problems for me than
they are worth.

>> What ****es me off is making areas "peanut free", as in airplanes,
>> etc.Â* Since those affected are in the vast minority, I think they
>> should wear a mask or be segegated in another area.Â* Why punish
>> everyone?

I might suggest that it is one of those things that people are more
likely to support of it is their kid who has the nasty reaction. When
we were kids some of us just didn't make it. I am not going to call
anyone a liar, but I just don't understand how just being in a room
where someone else is eating peanuts could lead to a serious and
possible fatal reaction.

OTOH, I have been stung by hornets and wasps dozens of times. It has
happened at least once a year for as long as I can remember. Last fall
I had a bad reaction to a hornet and now have to carry an epipen. I
don't know if it was a sudden change in the way I react to them or the
location. I often get stung on the neck when out on the motorcycle, so
perhaps there was an accumulative effect?? I don't know.

What puzzles me is the way the medical authorities keep changing their
advice about feeding babies allergens.

Ed Pawlowski 12-08-2018 05:22 PM

Boiled (in the shell) Peanuts

On 8/12/2018 12:01 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> What ****es me off is making areas "peanut free", as in airplanes,
>>> etc.Â* Since those affected are in the vast minority, I think they
>>> should wear a mask or be segegated in another area.Â* Why punish
>>> everyone?

> I might suggest that it is one of those things that people are more
> likely to support of it is their kid who has the nasty reaction.Â*Â* When
> we were kids some of us just didn't make it.Â* I am not going to call
> anyone a liar, but I just don't understand how just being in a room
> where someone else is eating peanuts could lead to a serious and
> possible fatal reaction.

Societal hysteria
http://content.time.com/time/health/...869095,00.html

Graham 12-08-2018 05:35 PM

Boiled (in the shell) Peanuts

On 2018-08-12 10:01 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

> OTOH, I have been stung by hornets and wasps dozens of times. It has
> happened at least once a year for as long as I can remember.Â* Last fall
> I had a bad reaction to a hornet and now have to carry an epipen. I
> don't know if it was a sudden change in the way I react to them or the
> location. I often get stung on the neck when out on the motorcycle, so
> perhaps there was an accumulative effect?? I don't know.

Yes, it's just that. It's the same with bee keepers. Allergic reaction
builds up over time so that eventually, they have to give up the
occupation. Their families can also go the same way from the venom on
the keeper's protective clothing getting into the atmosphere in the house.

Druce 12-08-2018 08:11 PM

Boiled (in the shell) Peanuts

On Sun, 12 Aug 2018 07:41:57 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
. 115.223...

>> What ****es me off is making areas "peanut free", as in airplanes,
>> etc. Since those affected are in the vast minority, I think they
>> should wear a mask or be segegated in another area. Why punish
>> everyone?
>>

>Seems to be the way of the world these days.

Yes. Soon we'll no longer have separate toilets for men and women in
public places, because that's painful for transsexuals. The words
'girls' and 'boys' will soon be banned in schools, because they're too
confrontational for transsexuals.

A Dutch theme park recently got into trouble for throwing their yearly
Cowboys and Indians Party for children.

Snowflakes will rule the world!

Druce 12-08-2018 08:13 PM

Boiled (in the shell) Peanuts

On Sun, 12 Aug 2018 12:01:59 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>OTOH, I have been stung by hornets and wasps dozens of times. It has
>happened at least once a year for as long as I can remember. Last fall
>I had a bad reaction to a hornet and now have to carry an epipen. I
>don't know if it was a sudden change in the way I react to them or the
>location. I often get stung on the neck when out on the motorcycle, so
>perhaps there was an accumulative effect?? I don't know.

A French farmer once died after being stung in the neck by a wasp. The
internal swelling blocked his main artery.

Cheri[_3_] 12-08-2018 08:33 PM

Boiled (in the shell) Peanuts

"Druce" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 12 Aug 2018 07:41:57 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>>"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
.115.223...

>>> What ****es me off is making areas "peanut free", as in airplanes,
>>> etc. Since those affected are in the vast minority, I think they
>>> should wear a mask or be segegated in another area. Why punish
>>> everyone?
>>>

>>Seems to be the way of the world these days.

> Yes. Soon we'll no longer have separate toilets for men and women in
> public places, because that's painful for transsexuals. The words
> 'girls' and 'boys' will soon be banned in schools, because they're too
> confrontational for transsexuals.
>
> A Dutch theme park recently got into trouble for throwing their yearly
> Cowboys and Indians Party for children.
>
> Snowflakes will rule the world!

I believe there was recently a protest about the word cowboy too since ""It’s
very 1950s to think that ‘boy’ somehow includes ‘girl.'" Neverending BS
these days.

Cheri

Druce 12-08-2018 08:46 PM

Boiled (in the shell) Peanuts

On Sun, 12 Aug 2018 12:33:26 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Druce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 12 Aug 2018 07:41:57 -0700, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Seems to be the way of the world these days.

>> Yes. Soon we'll no longer have separate toilets for men and women in
>> public places, because that's painful for transsexuals. The words
>> 'girls' and 'boys' will soon be banned in schools, because they're too
>> confrontational for transsexuals.
>>
>> A Dutch theme park recently got into trouble for throwing their yearly
>> Cowboys and Indians Party for children.
>>
>> Snowflakes will rule the world!

>I believe there was recently a protest about the word cowboy too since ""It’s
>very 1950s to think that ‘boy’ somehow includes ‘girl.'" Neverending BS
>these days.

Yes and it's only getting worse.

[email protected] 12-08-2018 09:24 PM

Boiled (in the shell) Peanuts

wrote:

>"Druce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 12 Aug 2018 07:41:57 -0700, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
4.115.223...

>>>Seems to be the way of the world these days.

>> Yes. Soon we'll no longer have separate toilets for men and women in
>> public places, because that's painful for transsexuals. The words
>> 'girls' and 'boys' will soon be banned in schools, because they're too
>> confrontational for transsexuals.
>>
>> A Dutch theme park recently got into trouble for throwing their yearly
>> Cowboys and Indians Party for children.
>>
>> Snowflakes will rule the world!

>I believe there was recently a protest about the word cowboy too since ""It’s
>very 1950s to think that ‘boy’ somehow includes ‘girl.'" Neverending BS
>these days.
>
>Cheri

Dale Evans was a famous cowgirl.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dale_Evans

Dave Smith[_1_] 12-08-2018 10:27 PM

Boiled (in the shell) Peanuts

On 2018-08-12 3:33 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "Druce" > wrote in message
>
>> A Dutch theme park recently got into trouble for throwing their yearly
>> Cowboys and Indians Party for children.
>>
>> Snowflakes will rule the world!

> I believe there was recently a protest about the word cowboy too since
> ""Its very 1950s to think that "boy somehow includes "girl.'"
> Neverending BS these days.

Political Correctness has gone overboard. There is no constitutional
right to be offended, and the PC ninnies who whine about bullies have
gathered for their group bullying and thought policing.

Hank Rogers[_2_] 12-08-2018 11:47 PM

Boiled (in the shell) Peanuts

wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Aug 2018 12:33:26 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>> "Druce" > wrote in message

>>> Yes. Soon we'll no longer have separate toilets for men and women in
>>> public places, because that's painful for transsexuals. The words
>>> 'girls' and 'boys' will soon be banned in schools, because they're too
>>> confrontational for transsexuals.
>>>
>>> A Dutch theme park recently got into trouble for throwing their yearly
>>> Cowboys and Indians Party for children.
>>>
>>> Snowflakes will rule the world!

>> I believe there was recently a protest about the word cowboy too since ""It’s
>> very 1950s to think that ‘boy’ somehow includes ‘girl.'" Neverending BS
>> these days.
>>
>> Cheri

> Dale Evans was a famous cowgirl.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dale_Evans

No shit, Popeye!

I bet yoose humped Dale while Roy wasn't looking, right?

John Kuthe[_3_] 13-08-2018 12:01 AM

Boiled (in the shell) Peanuts

On Sunday, August 12, 2018 at 5:47:08 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:
> wrote:
> > On Sun, 12 Aug 2018 12:33:26 -0700, "Cheri" >
> > wrote:

> >> I believe there was recently a protest about the word cowboy too since ""Its
> >> very 1950s to think that "boy somehow includes "girl.'" Neverending BS
> >> these days.
> >>
> >> Cheri

> > Dale Evans was a famous cowgirl.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dale_Evans

> No shit, Popeye!
>
> I bet yoose humped Dale while Roy wasn't looking, right?

Whenever possible!

John Kuthe...

[email protected][_2_] 13-08-2018 01:34 AM

Boiled (in the shell) Peanuts

On Sunday, August 12, 2018 at 3:24:15 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> Dale Evans was a famous cowgirl.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dale_Evans

I read once she got the part to star in some of those short films with
Roy because she was from Houston, Texas. They automatically assumed she
knew how to ride a horse. She said she'd never been on a horse in her
life.