Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mom's Aunt Jemima Cookie Jar

On Mon, 13 Aug 2018 15:14:20 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, August 13, 2018 at 4:33:10 PM UTC-5, Druce wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 13 Aug 2018 14:24:23 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >I've never seen a cat use it's front claws to clean themselves. They'll
>> >use their paws to wash their face and ears and back feet to scratch with.

>> True. So when a cat gets declawed, they only do the front paws? I
>> still think it should be banned though. If people have a problem with
>> the claws, they can get a goldfish.
>>

>I've had two cats that were/are declawed and it was the front paws only.
>Front claws along with the back ones are used for climbing. Front claws
>only, as far as I know, for defense.
>
>When they get a toy they will lay on the floor, on their back, and use
>the back feet to peddle. Wrestling with you they will also use those
>back feet and back claws to peddle on your skin and SCRATCH.
>
>Twenty-six video showing a cat peddling.
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yhr0ZUYCSM

I trim my cats nails but only the front ones, the back are used for
steadying them when they jump up somewhere, they don't do damage with
rear claws unless as you say, they are wrestling with you/something.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Aug 2018 15:16:58 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, August 13, 2018 at 4:50:43 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> I was talking to my neighbor yesterday and the cats just ran out the door. One cat came back in soon after but the other one was just laying by the door when I came back after getting the mail. I know what she wants - me to beg her to come back in so she can ignore me and run away. Instead, I just walked into the house without making eye contact. I sorta was hoping that she'd follow me in but no such luck. When I looked back, the beast was still laying down without a care in the world so I closed the door so she would know that I really meant business. When I opened the door a few seconds later to check if she had decided to come in, she was gone. In the war of wills, the cat has bested me yet again. That's just infuriating.
>>

>Now you know why there is a saying that goes "Dogs have masters, cats have
>staff."

I thought it was 'cats have slaves' lol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/12/2018 1:06 PM, Jean B. wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:
>> On Saturday, August 11, 2018 at 10:56:50 AM UTC-5, GM wrote:
>>
>> Aunt Jemima anything is RACIST ASS SHIT!!!Â* :-(
>>
>> John Kuthe...
>>

> It WAS very racist.Â* However, the motives for appreciating such things
> vary.Â* For one thing, it reflects society as it was (and unfortunately
> still seems to be to a disturbing extent).Â* Seeing such items,
> appreciating such items, doesn't necessarily mean one is a racist.Â* It
> can be an acknowledgment of an unpalatable past.

LTNS, Jean!

It's true people collect all sorts of things for various reasons. The
fact is, my mother never owned an Aunt Jemmima cookie jar. This was a
totally forged post attributed to me.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, August 13, 2018 at 6:46:06 PM UTC-5, wrote:

> I trim my cats nails but only the front ones, the back are used for
> steadying them when they jump up somewhere, they don't do damage with
> rear claws unless as you say, they are wrestling with you/something.

I snip off the tips of Pema's back claws every few weeks. When she walks
across me and I'm going eek, ow, ouch it's time they get a light manicure.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, August 13, 2018 at 6:46:41 PM UTC-5, wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Aug 2018 15:16:58 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>

> >Now you know why there is a saying that goes "Dogs have masters, cats have
> >staff."

> I thought it was 'cats have slaves' lol

Either one works; as long as somebody waits on them I don't think they
care what we are called.

;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/12/2018 1:06 PM, Jean B. wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:
>>
>> Aunt Jemima anything is RACIST ASS SHIT!!!Â* :-(
>>
>> John Kuthe...
>>

> It WAS very racist.Â* However, the motives for appreciating such things
> vary.Â* For one thing, it reflects society as it was (and unfortunately
> still seems to be to a disturbing extent).Â* Seeing such items,
> appreciating such items, doesn't necessarily mean one is a racist.Â* It
> can be an acknowledgment of an unpalatable past.

Nice to see you again, Jean!

People collect old things for all sorts of reasons. I have no idea why
they (Greg Morrow and then John Kuthe) are dragging my mother or I (or
my deceased cat Persia) a completely forged post about a cookie jar.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Aug 2018 21:39:13 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 8/12/2018 1:06 PM, Jean B. wrote:
>> John Kuthe wrote:
>>> On Saturday, August 11, 2018 at 10:56:50 AM UTC-5, GM wrote:
>>>
>>> Aunt Jemima anything is RACIST ASS SHIT!!!* :-(
>>>
>>> John Kuthe...
>>>

>> It WAS very racist.* However, the motives for appreciating such things
>> vary.* For one thing, it reflects society as it was (and unfortunately
>> still seems to be to a disturbing extent).* Seeing such items,
>> appreciating such items, doesn't necessarily mean one is a racist.* It
>> can be an acknowledgment of an unpalatable past.

>LTNS, Jean!
>
>It's true people collect all sorts of things for various reasons. The
>fact is, my mother never owned an Aunt Jemmima cookie jar. This was a
>totally forged post attributed to me.

The day will come when you will get over this. Trust me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, August 14, 2018 at 5:34:45 AM UTC-5, wrote:

> Agreed there is nothing you can do if the
> cat comes already declawed, except make sure it doesn't get outside
> and become very vulnerable.

Back in early Spring I took Pema outside with me to sit on the front porch.
She was in her carrier and was terrified. I thought for sure she would
enjoy a bit of fresh air and a look at the outside world not through
the storm door. She whined and carried on so that I just took her back
in and she immediately relaxed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, August 13, 2018 at 12:17:02 PM UTC-10, wrote:

> Now you know why there is a saying that goes "Dogs have masters, cats have
> staff."

Last night I came home from a meeting and the cat came up to me begging to let her in. That was the first time I seen that. In this war of wills, it's a small victory but I'll take whatever I can get.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Tuesday, August 14, 2018 at 12:18:58 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
>>
>> On 8/14/2018 12:24 PM, wrote:
>> >
>> > Back in early Spring I took Pema outside with me to sit on the front
>> > porch.
>> > She was in her carrier and was terrified. I thought for sure she would
>> > enjoy a bit of fresh air and a look at the outside world not through
>> > the storm door. She whined and carried on so that I just took her back
>> > in and she immediately relaxed.
>> >

>> I used to have a kitty-walk outdoor enclosure on the patio for Persia.
>> She'd sit outside with me when I was outside reading. When she got
>> older she didn't want to go into it at all. She'd cry to be let back in
>> the house and just watch me through the glass door.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Whenever I go outside Pema will sit and watch me through the storm door
> whether it's the front or back one. She'll sit there until I come back
> in but shows no interest in going out. That I'm glad of because I'd
> hate to have to watch her like a hawk to make sure she doesn't slip out.

Yes, you would be surprised at how many cats I have seen flattened in the
streets of this town because pet cats are allowed to roam free. It's one
thing when a cat escapes because the door is open a fraction too long, but
people that purposely let their pet cats out to roam are just irresponsible
IMO.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, August 14, 2018 at 12:41:19 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> On Monday, August 13, 2018 at 12:17:02 PM UTC-10, wrote:
>
> > Now you know why there is a saying that goes "Dogs have masters, cats have
> > staff."

> Last night I came home from a meeting and the cat came up to me begging to let her in. That was the first time I seen that. In this war of wills, it's a small victory but I'll take whatever I can get.

She was probably just hungry and was wanting to take a snooze in a comfortable
and safe place.

Some men, and it seems to be men more than woman, don't care for cats as they
think they are stupid because they won't come to them when called. They
don't like it that they won't do tricks for them either. I tell them that
cats are independent and they don't have that pack mentality that dogs do.
Dogs look to humans as their masters whereas cats look at us as something
to be tolerated as long as we have food for them.

If they want something that will obey them and come when called then they
should look into getting a wife. (Good luck with her obeying and coming
when you call, though.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Aug 2018 09:24:58 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, August 14, 2018 at 5:34:45 AM UTC-5, wrote:
>>
>> Agreed there is nothing you can do if the
>> cat comes already declawed, except make sure it doesn't get outside
>> and become very vulnerable.
>>

>Back in early Spring I took Pema outside with me to sit on the front porch.
>She was in her carrier and was terrified. I thought for sure she would
>enjoy a bit of fresh air and a look at the outside world not through
>the storm door. She whined and carried on so that I just took her back
>in and she immediately relaxed.

My old Bucket left via the basement door which had been left open by
David but once out he really didn't know what to do. He recognised my
neighbour who was weeding his veggie bed and hopped up to be with him!
Biiiig mistake, he hated cats in his garden and chucked stones at him.
Then he said, somehow he seemed familiar and he didn't run so I'm
calling to ask if you're sure your cat is in the house lol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

GM, for added security for your cookie jar when the Persian is roaming around on the
countertops, try to find some of the "earthquake putty," that people use to secure
crystal vases, etc., in earthquake zones.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/14/2018 8:36 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> GM, for added security for your cookie jar when the Persian is roaming around on the
> countertops, try to find some of the "earthquake putty," that people use to secure
> crystal vases, etc., in earthquake zones.
>
> N.

I'm hoping GM was the one with the cookie jar. It certainly wasn't me
or my mother. It was a forged post, Nancy2.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, August 14, 2018 at 8:00:32 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> She was probably just hungry and was wanting to take a snooze in a comfortable
> and safe place.
>
> Some men, and it seems to be men more than woman, don't care for cats as they
> think they are stupid because they won't come to them when called. They
> don't like it that they won't do tricks for them either. I tell them that
> cats are independent and they don't have that pack mentality that dogs do..
> Dogs look to humans as their masters whereas cats look at us as something
> to be tolerated as long as we have food for them.
>
> If they want something that will obey them and come when called then they
> should look into getting a wife. (Good luck with her obeying and coming
> when you call, though.)

I doubt the cat is snoozing or eating. Perhaps she needs a change of scenery or she has a cat buddy out there. I don't really care if she comes when I call. Staying a few feet away from me would be nice. Those cats don't belong to us anyway. We just happen to live in the same house that they do.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oops, Jill, so, so sorry. My bad.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

12 Aug 2018, GM gregorymorrowchicago07 wrote:

>Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>> > That's weird.
>> >

>> Cats like going into boxes.
>> https://imgur.com/t/cats_in_boxes

>The larger the cat, the smaller the box, it seems many times. A friend has a HUGE Maine Coon, must be about three feet long, he will spend considerable time trying to squeeze into a normal - sized shoe box. Ain't gonna happen, but he is always at it...

My cats love cartons, so much so that I built them a corrugated
tenement that's much better than Kootchies:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Aug 2018 12:40:36 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>On Sunday, August 12, 2018 at 1:06:29 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>> 12 Aug 2018, GM <gregorymorrowchicago07 wrote:
>> >
>> >It is easy to spot the real and the fake Cheri (and she is someone I'd never "spoof" anyways)...

>> It's very easy to spot the real Cheri, and better not spoof her or
>> she'll poke your eyes out
>> https://postimg.cc/image/sblx0h06p/

>You are VERY JUVENILE on your sexual proclivities! Large breasts are nice I will give you that,
>but I'm more into asses myself, a good firm health FULL ass is my fave!
>
>John Kuthe...

You should date the dwarf. And it's healthFUL, one word, one L... you
high school dropout who never even got a GED.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> Back in early Spring I took Pema outside with me to sit on the front porch.
>>> She was in her carrier and was terrified. I thought for sure she would
>>> enjoy a bit of fresh air and a look at the outside world not through
>>> the storm door. She whined and carried on so that I just took her back
>>> in and she immediately relaxed.
>>>

>> I used to have a kitty-walk outdoor enclosure on the patio for Persia.
>> She'd sit outside with me when I was outside reading. When she got
>> older she didn't want to go into it at all. She'd cry to be let back in
>> the house and just watch me through the glass door.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Whenever I go outside Pema will sit and watch me through the storm door
> whether it's the front or back one. She'll sit there until I come back
> in but shows no interest in going out. That I'm glad of because I'd
> hate to have to watch her like a hawk to make sure she doesn't slip out.

My current cat, Buffy, started her life as a feral. She was part of the
TNR program on Dataw. Knotched ear signifies she'd been trapped,
neutered and released. Someone saw her wandering around and took her in
as a youngster. She was an indoor cat from then on. Her owner died so
I adopted her three years ago. She must remember what it's like to live
outside. She shows absolutely *no* interest in going outside with me
when I'm sitting on the patio.

She equates Outdoors with bugs, heat, rain or cold, no comfy place to
sleep, no guaranteed food or water. Inside... comfy, soft places to
sleep, food, water, toys! and a loving person.

Jill