Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default If you don't hear from me ...

.... I hope I'm not dead from eating a wire!

We had chicken thighs on the grill with caprese and
cauliflower bites. As I was loading the dishwasher, I felt
like there was something in my mouth, I kind of thought
rosemary?

Nope, a really fine wire about 1/2, 3/4 inch? I wondered
how people managed to eat a wire without noticing but the
brushes we've had previously had much thicker wires.

No more wire grill brushes for us.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Aug 2018 17:29:46 -0400, Nancy Young >
wrote:

>... I hope I'm not dead from eating a wire!
>
>We had chicken thighs on the grill with caprese and
>cauliflower bites. As I was loading the dishwasher, I felt
>like there was something in my mouth, I kind of thought
>rosemary?
>
>Nope, a really fine wire about 1/2, 3/4 inch? I wondered
>how people managed to eat a wire without noticing but the
>brushes we've had previously had much thicker wires.
>
>No more wire grill brushes for us.
>
>nancy

Hope you're okay - nasty
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Nancy Young wrote:

> ... I hope I'm not dead from eating a wire!
>
> We had chicken thighs on the grill with caprese and
> cauliflower bites. As I was loading the dishwasher, I felt
> like there was something in my mouth, I kind of thought
> rosemary?
>
> Nope, a really fine wire about 1/2, 3/4 inch? I wondered
> how people managed to eat a wire without noticing but the
> brushes we've had previously had much thicker wires.
>
> No more wire grill brushes for us.

Whoa...I had that happen, too...but a much smaller wire...hope all is well with you, anyways...

;-)

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/10/2018 5:29 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> ... I hope I'm not dead from eating a wire!
>
> We had chicken thighs on the grill with caprese and
> cauliflower bites.Â* As I was loading the dishwasher, I felt
> like there was something in my mouth, I kind of thought
> rosemary?
>
> Nope, a really fine wire about 1/2, 3/4 inch?Â* I wondered
> how people managed to eat a wire without noticing but the
> brushes we've had previously had much thicker wires.
>
> No more wire grill brushes for us.
>
> nancy

Oh dear! I hope you're okay, Sis!

A little too late but I saw something recently about cleaning grill
grates using large yellow onions, cut in half. No metal or wires.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> On 8/10/2018 5:29 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>> ... I hope I'm not dead from eating a wire!
>>
>> We had chicken thighs on the grill with caprese and
>> cauliflower bites. As I was loading the dishwasher, I felt
>> like there was something in my mouth, I kind of thought
>> rosemary?
>>
>> Nope, a really fine wire about 1/2, 3/4 inch? I wondered
>> how people managed to eat a wire without noticing but the
>> brushes we've had previously had much thicker wires.
>>
>> No more wire grill brushes for us.
>>
>> nancy

> Oh dear! I hope you're okay, Sis!
>
> A little too late but I saw something recently about cleaning grill
> grates using large yellow onions, cut in half. No metal or wires.
>
> Jill

I saw that on a cooking show on pbs, but he wasn't cleaning with it ...
he dipped it in oil and used it to oil the grill (after he had cleaned
it with a grill brush).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/10/2018 5:29 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> ... I hope I'm not dead from eating a wire!
>
> We had chicken thighs on the grill with caprese and
> cauliflower bites.Â* As I was loading the dishwasher, I felt
> like there was something in my mouth, I kind of thought
> rosemary?

Yep, I use a scraper now. One of those things I never thought about
until it happened.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Aug 2018 20:40:49 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Yep, I use a scraper now.

Ditto. It's made of pumice, followed up by soggy paper towels.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/10/2018 8:40 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 8/10/2018 5:29 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>> ... I hope I'm not dead from eating a wire!
>>
>> We had chicken thighs on the grill with caprese and
>> cauliflower bites.Â* As I was loading the dishwasher, I felt
>> like there was something in my mouth, I kind of thought
>> rosemary?

> Yep, I use a scraper now.Â* One of those things I never thought about
> until it happened.

Even when I took it out of my mouth, I could feel it way more
than I could see it, it's such a fine wire. Crazy. It could
easily have been swallowed with the crispy chicken skin.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/10/2018 6:53 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 8/10/2018 5:29 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>> ... I hope I'm not dead from eating a wire!

> Oh dear!Â* I hope you're okay, Sis!

Me, too!

> A little too late but I saw something recently about cleaning grill
> grates using large yellow onions, cut in half.Â* No metal or wires.

I've also seen people used wadded foil. We had some plastic scrubby
thing at one point that ... supririse! ... just melted on the grill.

We'll be shopping around. I thought I should tell my story as a
warning.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/10/2018 9:34 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 8/10/2018 6:53 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 8/10/2018 5:29 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>>> ... I hope I'm not dead from eating a wire!

>> Oh dear!Â* I hope you're okay, Sis!

> Me, too!
>
>> A little too late but I saw something recently about cleaning grill
>> grates using large yellow onions, cut in half.Â* No metal or wires.

> I've also seen people used wadded foil.Â* We had some plastic scrubby
> thing at one point that ... supririse! ... just melted on the grill.
>
> We'll be shopping around.Â* I thought I should tell my story as a
> warning.
>
> nancy

I think you should try the onion trick.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Aug 2018 20:40:49 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 8/10/2018 5:29 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>> ... I hope I'm not dead from eating a wire!
>>
>> We had chicken thighs on the grill with caprese and
>> cauliflower bites.* As I was loading the dishwasher, I felt
>> like there was something in my mouth, I kind of thought
>> rosemary?

>Yep, I use a scraper now. One of those things I never thought about
>until it happened.

I use scrunched up foil in some tongs, then scrub with that, works
okay. I do it when the grill is hot.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" wrote in message ...

On 8/10/2018 6:53 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 8/10/2018 5:29 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>> ... I hope I'm not dead from eating a wire!

> Oh dear! I hope you're okay, Sis!

Me, too!

> A little too late but I saw something recently about cleaning grill grates
> using large yellow onions, cut in half. No metal or wires.

I've also seen people used wadded foil. We had some plastic scrubby
thing at one point that ... supririse! ... just melted on the grill.

We'll be shopping around. I thought I should tell my story as a
warning.

nancy

==

Yes, you should!!! That is frightening and I have never heard of it
before

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/11/2018 10:09 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Nancy Young"Â* wrote in message ...

> We'll be shopping around.Â* I thought I should tell my story as a
> warning.

> Yes, you should!!!Â* That is frightening and I have never heard of it
> before

Most of the wire brushes I see have decent thickness wire and I am sure
you'd notice biting into that. I'd certainly never have a brush that
consists of wires thin as fine human hair, geez.

It does happen and it's serious.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wow, crazy timing, I just opened the latest Consumer Reports
and there are TWO letters warning of this wire grill brush
situation. This seems to be a very common event.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Nancy Young" wrote in message ...
>
> On 8/10/2018 6:53 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 8/10/2018 5:29 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>>> ... I hope I'm not dead from eating a wire!

>> Oh dear! I hope you're okay, Sis!

> Me, too!
>
>> A little too late but I saw something recently about cleaning grill
>> grates using large yellow onions, cut in half. No metal or wires.

> I've also seen people used wadded foil. We had some plastic scrubby
> thing at one point that ... supririse! ... just melted on the grill.
>
> We'll be shopping around. I thought I should tell my story as a
> warning.
>
> nancy
>
> ==
>
> Yes, you should!!! That is frightening and I have never heard of it
> before

I don't do outside grilling anymore, but I always used that wire brush,
never thought about one of the bristles coming off into food, but am aware
of it now.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/11/2018 11:31 AM, Cheri wrote:
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Nancy Young"* wrote in message ...

>>> Oh dear!* I hope you're okay, Sis!

>> Me, too!
>>
>>> A little too late but I saw something recently about cleaning grill
>>> grates using large yellow onions, cut in half.* No metal or wires.

>> I've also seen people used wadded foil.* We had some plastic scrubby
>> thing at one point that ... supririse! ... just melted on the grill.
>>
>> We'll be shopping around.* I thought I should tell my story as a
>> warning.
>>
>> nancy
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Yes, you should!!!* That is frightening and I have never heard of it
>> before

> I don't do outside grilling anymore, but I always used that wire brush,
> never thought about one of the bristles coming off into food, but am
> aware of it now.
>
> Cheri

It was indeed a public service announcment. Thanks, Nancy!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Aug 2018 21:31:38 -0400, Nancy Young >
wrote:

>On 8/10/2018 8:40 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 8/10/2018 5:29 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>>> ... I hope I'm not dead from eating a wire!
>>>
>>> We had chicken thighs on the grill with caprese and
>>> cauliflower bites.* As I was loading the dishwasher, I felt
>>> like there was something in my mouth, I kind of thought
>>> rosemary?

>> Yep, I use a scraper now.* One of those things I never thought about
>> until it happened.

>Even when I took it out of my mouth, I could feel it way more
>than I could see it, it's such a fine wire. Crazy. It could
>easily have been swallowed with the crispy chicken skin.

I use the wire brush you can buy at hardware stores, a hefty wooden
handle and wire bristles that don't readily come out and if they do
they are too large to miss.