FoodBanter.com

-   -   If you don't hear from me ... (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/444204-if-you-dont-hear.html)

Nancy Young[_9_] 10-08-2018 10:29 PM

If you don't hear from me ...

.... I hope I'm not dead from eating a wire!

We had chicken thighs on the grill with caprese and
cauliflower bites. As I was loading the dishwasher, I felt
like there was something in my mouth, I kind of thought
rosemary?

Nope, a really fine wire about 1/2, 3/4 inch? I wondered
how people managed to eat a wire without noticing but the
brushes we've had previously had much thicker wires.

No more wire grill brushes for us.

nancy

[email protected] 10-08-2018 10:45 PM

If you don't hear from me ...

On Fri, 10 Aug 2018 17:29:46 -0400, Nancy Young >
wrote:

>... I hope I'm not dead from eating a wire!
>
>We had chicken thighs on the grill with caprese and
>cauliflower bites. As I was loading the dishwasher, I felt
>like there was something in my mouth, I kind of thought
>rosemary?
>
>Nope, a really fine wire about 1/2, 3/4 inch? I wondered
>how people managed to eat a wire without noticing but the
>brushes we've had previously had much thicker wires.
>
>No more wire grill brushes for us.
>
>nancy

Hope you're okay - nasty :(

tert in seattle 10-08-2018 10:49 PM

If you don't hear from me ...

writes:
>... I hope I'm not dead from eating a wire!
>
>We had chicken thighs on the grill with caprese and
>cauliflower bites. As I was loading the dishwasher, I felt
>like there was something in my mouth, I kind of thought
>rosemary?
>
>Nope, a really fine wire about 1/2, 3/4 inch? I wondered
>how people managed to eat a wire without noticing but the
>brushes we've had previously had much thicker wires.
>
>No more wire grill brushes for us.
>
>nancy

that was close!

there have been quite a few reports of people needing surgery to remove
dislodged brush wires from their intestines

Nancy Young[_9_] 10-08-2018 10:51 PM

If you don't hear from me ...

On 8/10/2018 5:45 PM, wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Aug 2018 17:29:46 -0400, Nancy Young >
> wrote:

>> Nope, a really fine wire about 1/2, 3/4 inch? I wondered
>> how people managed to eat a wire without noticing but the
>> brushes we've had previously had much thicker wires.
>>
>> No more wire grill brushes for us.

> Hope you're okay - nasty :(

Now I feel like I ate wires, the power of suggestion. I'm sure
I'm fine. Thanks!

nancy

Nancy Young[_9_] 10-08-2018 10:57 PM

If you don't hear from me ...

On 8/10/2018 5:49 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
> writes:

>> No more wire grill brushes for us.

> that was close!
>
> there have been quite a few reports of people needing surgery to remove
> dislodged brush wires from their intestines

Imagine? I'm going to keep a good thought I didn't swallow
any but keep it in mind if I start having symptoms.

nancy

GM 10-08-2018 10:58 PM

If you don't hear from me ...

Nancy Young wrote:

> ... I hope I'm not dead from eating a wire!
>
> We had chicken thighs on the grill with caprese and
> cauliflower bites. As I was loading the dishwasher, I felt
> like there was something in my mouth, I kind of thought
> rosemary?
>
> Nope, a really fine wire about 1/2, 3/4 inch? I wondered
> how people managed to eat a wire without noticing but the
> brushes we've had previously had much thicker wires.
>
> No more wire grill brushes for us.

Whoa...I had that happen, too...but a much smaller wire...hope all is well with you, anyways...

;-)

--
Best
Greg

jmcquown[_2_] 10-08-2018 11:53 PM

If you don't hear from me ...

On 8/10/2018 5:29 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> ... I hope I'm not dead from eating a wire!
>
> We had chicken thighs on the grill with caprese and
> cauliflower bites.Â* As I was loading the dishwasher, I felt
> like there was something in my mouth, I kind of thought
> rosemary?
>
> Nope, a really fine wire about 1/2, 3/4 inch?Â* I wondered
> how people managed to eat a wire without noticing but the
> brushes we've had previously had much thicker wires.
>
> No more wire grill brushes for us.
>
> nancy

Oh dear! I hope you're okay, Sis!

A little too late but I saw something recently about cleaning grill
grates using large yellow onions, cut in half. No metal or wires.

Jill

Hank Rogers[_2_] 11-08-2018 12:26 AM

If you don't hear from me ...

jmcquown wrote:
> On 8/10/2018 5:29 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>> ... I hope I'm not dead from eating a wire!
>>
>> We had chicken thighs on the grill with caprese and
>> cauliflower bites. As I was loading the dishwasher, I felt
>> like there was something in my mouth, I kind of thought
>> rosemary?
>>
>> Nope, a really fine wire about 1/2, 3/4 inch? I wondered
>> how people managed to eat a wire without noticing but the
>> brushes we've had previously had much thicker wires.
>>
>> No more wire grill brushes for us.
>>
>> nancy

> Oh dear! I hope you're okay, Sis!
>
> A little too late but I saw something recently about cleaning grill
> grates using large yellow onions, cut in half. No metal or wires.
>
> Jill

I saw that on a cooking show on pbs, but he wasn't cleaning with it ...
he dipped it in oil and used it to oil the grill (after he had cleaned
it with a grill brush).

Ed Pawlowski 11-08-2018 01:40 AM

If you don't hear from me ...

On 8/10/2018 5:29 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> ... I hope I'm not dead from eating a wire!
>
> We had chicken thighs on the grill with caprese and
> cauliflower bites.Â* As I was loading the dishwasher, I felt
> like there was something in my mouth, I kind of thought
> rosemary?

Yep, I use a scraper now. One of those things I never thought about
until it happened.

Mike_Duffy[_2_] 11-08-2018 02:31 AM

If you don't hear from me ...

On Fri, 10 Aug 2018 20:40:49 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Yep, I use a scraper now.

Ditto. It's made of pumice, followed up by soggy paper towels.

Nancy Young[_9_] 11-08-2018 02:31 AM

If you don't hear from me ...

On 8/10/2018 8:40 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 8/10/2018 5:29 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>> ... I hope I'm not dead from eating a wire!
>>
>> We had chicken thighs on the grill with caprese and
>> cauliflower bites.Â* As I was loading the dishwasher, I felt
>> like there was something in my mouth, I kind of thought
>> rosemary?

> Yep, I use a scraper now.Â* One of those things I never thought about
> until it happened.

Even when I took it out of my mouth, I could feel it way more
than I could see it, it's such a fine wire. Crazy. It could
easily have been swallowed with the crispy chicken skin.

nancy

Nancy Young[_9_] 11-08-2018 02:34 AM

If you don't hear from me ...

On 8/10/2018 6:53 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 8/10/2018 5:29 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>> ... I hope I'm not dead from eating a wire!

> Oh dear!Â* I hope you're okay, Sis!

Me, too!

> A little too late but I saw something recently about cleaning grill
> grates using large yellow onions, cut in half.Â* No metal or wires.

I've also seen people used wadded foil. We had some plastic scrubby
thing at one point that ... supririse! ... just melted on the grill.

We'll be shopping around. I thought I should tell my story as a
warning.

nancy

jmcquown[_2_] 11-08-2018 03:24 AM

If you don't hear from me ...

On 8/10/2018 9:34 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 8/10/2018 6:53 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 8/10/2018 5:29 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>>> ... I hope I'm not dead from eating a wire!

>> Oh dear!Â* I hope you're okay, Sis!

> Me, too!
>
>> A little too late but I saw something recently about cleaning grill
>> grates using large yellow onions, cut in half.Â* No metal or wires.

> I've also seen people used wadded foil.Â* We had some plastic scrubby
> thing at one point that ... supririse! ... just melted on the grill.
>
> We'll be shopping around.Â* I thought I should tell my story as a
> warning.
>
> nancy

I think you should try the onion trick.

Jill

[email protected] 11-08-2018 12:10 PM

If you don't hear from me ...

On Fri, 10 Aug 2018 20:40:49 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 8/10/2018 5:29 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>> ... I hope I'm not dead from eating a wire!
>>
>> We had chicken thighs on the grill with caprese and
>> cauliflower bites.* As I was loading the dishwasher, I felt
>> like there was something in my mouth, I kind of thought
>> rosemary?

>Yep, I use a scraper now. One of those things I never thought about
>until it happened.

I use scrunched up foil in some tongs, then scrub with that, works
okay. I do it when the grill is hot.

Ophelia[_16_] 11-08-2018 03:09 PM

If you don't hear from me ...

"Nancy Young" wrote in message ...

On 8/10/2018 6:53 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 8/10/2018 5:29 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>> ... I hope I'm not dead from eating a wire!

> Oh dear! I hope you're okay, Sis!

Me, too!

> A little too late but I saw something recently about cleaning grill grates
> using large yellow onions, cut in half. No metal or wires.

I've also seen people used wadded foil. We had some plastic scrubby
thing at one point that ... supririse! ... just melted on the grill.

We'll be shopping around. I thought I should tell my story as a
warning.

nancy

==

Yes, you should!!! That is frightening and I have never heard of it
befo(

Nancy Young[_9_] 11-08-2018 03:41 PM

If you don't hear from me ...

On 8/11/2018 10:09 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Nancy Young"Â* wrote in message ...

> We'll be shopping around.Â* I thought I should tell my story as a
> warning.

> Yes, you should!!!Â* That is frightening and I have never heard of it
> befo(

Most of the wire brushes I see have decent thickness wire and I am sure
you'd notice biting into that. I'd certainly never have a brush that
consists of wires thin as fine human hair, geez.

It does happen and it's serious.

nancy

Nancy Young[_9_] 11-08-2018 04:00 PM

If you don't hear from me ...

Wow, crazy timing, I just opened the latest Consumer Reports
and there are TWO letters warning of this wire grill brush
situation. This seems to be a very common event.

nancy

Cheri[_3_] 11-08-2018 04:31 PM

If you don't hear from me ...

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Nancy Young" wrote in message ...
>
> On 8/10/2018 6:53 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 8/10/2018 5:29 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>>> ... I hope I'm not dead from eating a wire!

>> Oh dear! I hope you're okay, Sis!

> Me, too!
>
>> A little too late but I saw something recently about cleaning grill
>> grates using large yellow onions, cut in half. No metal or wires.

> I've also seen people used wadded foil. We had some plastic scrubby
> thing at one point that ... supririse! ... just melted on the grill.
>
> We'll be shopping around. I thought I should tell my story as a
> warning.
>
> nancy
>
> ==
>
> Yes, you should!!! That is frightening and I have never heard of it
> befo(

I don't do outside grilling anymore, but I always used that wire brush,
never thought about one of the bristles coming off into food, but am aware
of it now. :)

Cheri

jmcquown[_2_] 11-08-2018 06:34 PM

If you don't hear from me ...

On 8/11/2018 11:31 AM, Cheri wrote:
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Nancy Young"* wrote in message ...

>>> Oh dear!* I hope you're okay, Sis!

>> Me, too!
>>
>>> A little too late but I saw something recently about cleaning grill
>>> grates using large yellow onions, cut in half.* No metal or wires.

>> I've also seen people used wadded foil.* We had some plastic scrubby
>> thing at one point that ... supririse! ... just melted on the grill.
>>
>> We'll be shopping around.* I thought I should tell my story as a
>> warning.
>>
>> nancy
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Yes, you should!!!* That is frightening and I have never heard of it
>> befo(

> I don't do outside grilling anymore, but I always used that wire brush,
> never thought about one of the bristles coming off into food, but am
> aware of it now. :)
>
> Cheri

It was indeed a public service announcment. :) Thanks, Nancy!

Jill

[email protected] 12-08-2018 02:21 AM

If you don't hear from me ...

On Fri, 10 Aug 2018 21:31:38 -0400, Nancy Young >
wrote:

>On 8/10/2018 8:40 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 8/10/2018 5:29 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>>> ... I hope I'm not dead from eating a wire!
>>>
>>> We had chicken thighs on the grill with caprese and
>>> cauliflower bites.* As I was loading the dishwasher, I felt
>>> like there was something in my mouth, I kind of thought
>>> rosemary?

>> Yep, I use a scraper now.* One of those things I never thought about
>> until it happened.

>Even when I took it out of my mouth, I could feel it way more
>than I could see it, it's such a fine wire. Crazy. It could
>easily have been swallowed with the crispy chicken skin.

I use the wire brush you can buy at hardware stores, a hefty wooden
handle and wire bristles that don't readily come out and if they do
they are too large to miss.