Old 09-08-2018, 03:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner tonight

On 8/6/2018 7:37 PM, wrote:
On Monday, August 6, 2018 at 3:47:45 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

itsjoannotjoann wrote:

I've got a nice Weber grill but I'm toying with buying an electric
smoker. Still on the fence, though.

A Weber grill can be used as a smoker.
https://consumer-care.weber.com/hc/e...s-on-my-grill-

I've used my 22 inch Weber several times to smoke pork butts. After a
2 hour smoke they are then finished in the oven at 300° for 3 hours. But
smoking in an upright smoker I think I'd like to try, but then maybe not.
The upright smoker would be an 8 to 10 hour completely outside job.

I bought one of those upright smokers for my middle brother back in the
1980's. He decided it would be a great idea to smoke the Thanksgiving
turkey. (He also thought it was a great idea to go out partying with
his friends until 3AM.) He dragged himself out of bed around 6AM to get
it started. I forget what type of wood chips he used in the water pan.
Well, it was so freaking cold outside the coals wouldn't stay lit.

He thought he'd be able to just let the smoker do its thing and he could
catch some zzzz's. It didn't work out that way. LOL

I'm already not a fan of turkey (although if forced I'll take some meat
from the drumstick). That smoked turkey tasted awful. No good using
the meat for leftovers like turkey tetrazzini or turkey pot pie, either.
Live and learn!

Jill

Old 09-08-2018, 09:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 9, 2018 at 9:43:16 AM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:

I bought one of those upright smokers for my middle brother back in the
1980's. He decided it would be a great idea to smoke the Thanksgiving
turkey. (He also thought it was a great idea to go out partying with
his friends until 3AM.) He dragged himself out of bed around 6AM to get
it started. I forget what type of wood chips he used in the water pan.
Well, it was so freaking cold outside the coals wouldn't stay lit.

He thought he'd be able to just let the smoker do its thing and he could
catch some zzzz's. It didn't work out that way. LOL

I'm already not a fan of turkey (although if forced I'll take some meat
from the drumstick). That smoked turkey tasted awful. No good using
the meat for leftovers like turkey tetrazzini or turkey pot pie, either.
Live and learn!

Jill

The more I read online reviews the more I think I'll just stick with the
charcoal Weber grill and do my smoking on it. So many just average reviews
and manufacturers not standing about their smokers when they die after 5 uses.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/9/2018 4:16 PM, wrote:
[...]

I don't know that this one died, it was more a matter of bad timing and
outdoor temperature. I think it was a Brinkman, I'm not sure.

I'm not all that interested in smoked food. I do know this was a
failure. And yes, I can smoke food on my charcoal Weber kettle if I
want to... I just don't want to.

Jill
Old 09-08-2018, 11:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 9 Aug 2018 13:16:04 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

[...]

That hasn't been my experience. I've had the propane fired upright
smoker for 4 or 5 years and replaced it with an electric one so that I
could have a smoker that was basically self-tending right outside my
back door.
Get a smoker from either QVC or Costco. I got mine from QVC when they
start selling for Christmas (along about Sept. or so) and the deal is
that you can return anything, even if used, until January 30. (They
had it for 6 payments, I got the smoker right away, and free shipping
and handling) Costco basically takes anything back anytime. Both
places sell competitively priced smokers. I'm talking about
Masterbuilt brand smokers. I've had my electric smoker for 4+ years
I take online reviews with a grain of salt. Some people really
shouldn't be allowed around equipment of any kind and others post
reviews just because they like to damage names and reps.
Janet US
Old 10-08-2018, 03:34 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 9, 2018 at 5:51:49 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

Get a smoker from either QVC or Costco. I got mine from QVC when they
start selling for Christmas (along about Sept. or so) and the deal is
that you can return anything, even if used, until January 30. (They
had it for 6 payments, I got the smoker right away, and free shipping
and handling) Costco basically takes anything back anytime. Both
places sell competitively priced smokers. I'm talking about
Masterbuilt brand smokers. I've had my electric smoker for 4+ years
I take online reviews with a grain of salt. Some people really
shouldn't be allowed around equipment of any kind and others post
reviews just because they like to damage names and reps.
Janet US

I'll look again. I was reading reviews on Home Depot of Masterbuilt
electric smokers and also the Bradley's that use the pucks. My brother
and sister-in-law have a Costco membership so I may tag along with them
sometime when they shop there to see what they have.

One of my e-mail buddies got a smoker for her husband from QVC a good
5 or 6 years ago and it's still going strong.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:32 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, August 6, 2018 at 8:37:43 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
I just turned off the stove burner - made 3 cups of rice.
One cup or so will be dinner topped with beef and broccoli in a
thickened sauce.

Osso buco - made it last night, ate it tonight. Tasty!

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...cfFnH5OTUWaEPf
Old 10-08-2018, 09:39 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Aug 2018 01:32:01 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
wrote:

On Monday, August 6, 2018 at 8:37:43 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
I just turned off the stove burner - made 3 cups of rice.
One cup or so will be dinner topped with beef and broccoli in a
thickened sauce.

Osso buco - made it last night, ate it tonight. Tasty!

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...cfFnH5OTUWaEPf

I didn't think Hawaiians ate European food.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:56 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 6 Aug 2018 21:50:31 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
wrote:

On Monday, August 6, 2018 at 9:00:11 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:

I'll bet that tastes quite right!

It was cooking for 26 hours. The pork was quite sweet because the onions that were in there had completely caramelized. Fork tender? You bet! You can't mess up a pork butt. Or can you?

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...bub8nAIuuObrjp

That looks awful.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On Monday, August 6, 2018 at 8:37:43 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
I just turned off the stove burner - made 3 cups of rice.
One cup or so will be dinner topped with beef and broccoli in a
thickened sauce.

Osso buco - made it last night, ate it tonight. Tasty!

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...cfFnH5OTUWaEPf

What's that heap of green. I can only guess mussed asparagus... and is
that rice or pasta?

I didn't think Hawaiians ate European food.

Hawaiians ate Europeans.

Old 10-08-2018, 05:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On Monday, August 6, 2018 at 8:37:43 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
I just turned off the stove burner - made 3 cups of rice.
One cup or so will be dinner topped with beef and broccoli in a
thickened sauce.

Osso buco - made it last night, ate it tonight. Tasty!

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...cfFnH5OTUWaEPf

Was that during the operation or after?
Old 10-08-2018, 11:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 2:52:45 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:

Hawaiians ate Europeans.

That's totally false! Hawaiians never ate people! Okay, maybe once in a while but only if the guy had powerful mana. I mean, you just going to let all that magic meat rot? That's just nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7da0LxBwqU4
Old 10-08-2018, 11:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 4:49:29 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

==

Yummmm

The bones were little sissy bones. There was not much in the way of marrow. That's the breaks.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 4:49:29 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

==

Yummmm

The bones were little sissy bones. There was not much in the way of marrow.
That's the breaks.

==

It looks good and if you say it tastes good ... that is good enough)

Old 12-08-2018, 08:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, August 11, 2018 at 3:10:46 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

==

It looks good and if you say it tastes good ... that is good enough)

Back in the old days, the cut for osso buco was typically a veal shank with a large diameter, marrow rich hole. What made the dish special is that you'd eat the marrow. These days, that doesn't seem to be the case. People eat the dish for the meat and the bones are smaller. My guess is that marrow eating is more popular in Europe.

Dinner last night/ dinner tonight U.S. Janet B. General Cooking 17 02-03-2018 02:19 PM
Dinner tonight z z General Cooking 7 26-05-2013 07:18 PM
Dinner tonight serene General Cooking 9 02-05-2006 05:19 PM
dinner tonight Mr Libido Incognito General Cooking 2 15-04-2006 03:51 AM