Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Trick for keeping food fresh....

On 2018-08-04 3:34 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

>> Months later his wife whined that he never got his fair share of our
>> father's estate. Tough shit. It wasn't willed to him. Everything had
>> been willed to our mother. She had given him a chance to come and get
>> what he wanted and he had been asked to help her clear the place out
>> so she could move.

> I'm pretty sure no one needs to ask me why they didn't get something,
> especially as I hired people to deliver furniture to them as well as
> packing up stuff and dropping it off.

There was a funny side to it. My mother had an ice cream maker that I
had given her. I suggested that he should take it. He didn't want it. I
suggested that his son, who is a chef, might want it. Nope. He didn't
want it. So I took it. I already had one, and this one turned out to
be bigger and better than mine. Later on it failed and I took it to a
shop for repair. About a year later my brother called and said he wanted
Mom's ice cream maker. I offered him my old one, but he didn't want that
one. He wanted Mom's. I corrected him and said it was now mine, and he
wasn't getting it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/4/2018 4:43 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 8/4/2018 2:59 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> Dentists are being advised to stop handing out Vicodin as a matter
>> of course.Â* One Advil before the procedure helped, and I only took
>> what I needed afterwards.Â* Which for me was maybe only one more
>> tablet.

> My daughter managed a dental practice and they did not prescribe it.

Frankly, I was surprised the first time they gave me the prescription,
no questions asked, like it was aspirin.

> young man came in one day about noon and asked, since he had a late
> appointment could he get his prescription now so it can be filled when
> he needed the pain killers later.Â* She explained that no, not possible.
> He reached over and grabbed her.Â* Instead of seeing the dentist, he
> spent a couple of months in jail.

Wow. That had to be scary, but that's what we're dealing with
when it comes to opioids. I hope she wasn't hurt.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, August 4, 2018 at 10:43:31 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> My daughter managed a dental practice and they did not prescribe it. A
> young man came in one day about noon and asked, since he had a late
> appointment could he get his prescription now so it can be filled when
> he needed the pain killers later. She explained that no, not possible.
> He reached over and grabbed her. Instead of seeing the dentist, he
> spent a couple of months in jail.

My wife used to work in emergency rooms. These guys would be making the rounds of emergency rooms to get pain killers. My wife would have to call other hospitals to give them heads ups to expect these guys. Typically, the hospital staff will already know who these people are. I guess when that happens, they hit the dentists?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/4/2018 5:23 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-08-04 3:25 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

>> All I can say is thank goodness they don't live by me,
>> the junk outside would grate my last nerve.

> When we moved out here we were torn between two houses, this one and
> another around the corner, about a mile away.Â* I am happy with my choice
> because the neighbour to the other one wasÂ* a major yard slob.Â* He had
> the corner lot and the section of it that abutted that other choice
> became his junk storage yard.Â* There were a couple rotten old boats, a
> couple scrap lawn tractors and several old cars and pickups not even on
> blocks.

I don't want to look at that every day and it does your property
value no favors, either. Right or wrong, I also feel like people
who live like that might also be a problem neighbor.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/4/2018 5:29 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-08-04 3:34 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

>> I'm pretty sure no one needs to ask me why they didn't get something,
>> especially as I hired people to deliver furniture to them as well as
>> packing up stuff and dropping it off.

> There was a funny side to it. My mother had an ice cream maker that I
> had given her.Â* I suggested that he should take it. He didn't want it. I
> suggested that his son, who is a chef, might want it. Nope. He didn't
> want it.Â* So I took it.Â* I already had one, and this one turned out to
> be bigger and better than mine. Later on it failed and I took it to a
> shop for repair. About a year later my brother called and said he wanted
> Mom's ice cream maker. I offered him my old one, but he didn't want that
> one. He wanted Mom's.Â* I corrected him and said it was now mine, and he
> wasn't getting it.

That's ridiculous.

I told my brothers any number of times, get what you want because
I'm not promising stuff won't just disappear as I clean out the
place. They know better than to ask for anything, not that I kept
much for myself. I gave out anything of value to each of them and
the rest, oh well.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, August 4, 2018 at 4:32:46 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> My wife used to work in emergency rooms. These guys would be making the rounds of emergency rooms to get pain killers. My wife would have to call other hospitals to give them heads ups to expect these guys. Typically, the hospital staff will already know who these people are. I guess when that happens, they hit the dentists?

One of my e-mail buddies at one time was a retired dentist. He said a man
called him at home and described a painful dental problem thoroughly and
said he was in agony which he would have been. He spoke with a pharmacist
and prescribed this man ONE pill with the understanding he would be at his
office the next morning. When the man came to pick up his prescription and
saw it was only the one pill he was MAD and left without his prescription.

So yes, many of them are hitting up dentists.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, August 4, 2018 at 11:57:24 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> One of my e-mail buddies at one time was a retired dentist. He said a man
> called him at home and described a painful dental problem thoroughly and
> said he was in agony which he would have been. He spoke with a pharmacist
> and prescribed this man ONE pill with the understanding he would be at his
> office the next morning. When the man came to pick up his prescription and
> saw it was only the one pill he was MAD and left without his prescription.
>
> So yes, many of them are hitting up dentists.

Maybe painkillers should be freely given out. These people typically look like regular folks but they're really desperate for the stuff!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-08-04 5:38 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 8/4/2018 5:23 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>> When we moved out here we were torn between two houses, this one and
>> another around the corner, about a mile away.Â* I am happy with my
>> choice because the neighbour to the other one wasÂ* a major yard slob.
>> He had the corner lot and the section of it that abutted that other
>> choice became his junk storage yard.Â* There were a couple rotten old
>> boats, a couple scrap lawn tractors and several old cars and pickups
>> not even on blocks.

> I don't want to look at that every day and it does your property
> value no favors, either.Â* Right or wrong, I also feel like people
> who live like that might also be a problem neighbor.

There have been discussions in the past here about similar issues, like
the parking of trailers and RVs in driveways in residential areas. We
have friends at the dog park who live next door to friends of my
brother. Our friends say their neighbours were nice enough when they
first moved in but then turned very icy. I know that the other couple
were upset about the big camper trailer parked in their driveway.
Whenever they looked out their window all they saw was that big trailer.

My former coworker lives around the corner form someone who has two huge
motorboats in his driveway. It is a street with nice houses and well
manicured lawns but it looks like crap because of those boats and the
pickup trucks parked out on the road.

I can't say that the old cars and other scrap is much more of a
distraction than those boats and trailers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 4 Aug 2018 18:13:40 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>There have been discussions in the past here about similar issues, like
>the parking of trailers and RVs in driveways in residential areas. We
>have friends at the dog park who live next door to friends of my
>brother. Our friends say their neighbours were nice enough when they
>first moved in but then turned very icy. I know that the other couple
>were upset about the big camper trailer parked in their driveway.
>Whenever they looked out their window all they saw was that big trailer.
>
>My former coworker lives around the corner form someone who has two huge
>motorboats in his driveway. It is a street with nice houses and well
>manicured lawns but it looks like crap because of those boats and the
>pickup trucks parked out on the road.

Bitch, bitch, bitch.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/4/2018 5:32 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 8/4/2018 4:43 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 8/4/2018 2:59 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>>> Dentists are being advised to stop handing out Vicodin as a matter
>>> of course.Â* One Advil before the procedure helped, and I only took
>>> what I needed afterwards.Â* Which for me was maybe only one more
>>> tablet.

>> My daughter managed a dental practice and they did not prescribe it.

> Frankly, I was surprised the first time they gave me the prescription,
> no questions asked, like it was aspirin.
>
>> A young man came in one day about noon and asked, since he had a late
>> appointment could he get his prescription now so it can be filled when
>> he needed the pain killers later.Â* She explained that no, not
>> possible. He reached over and grabbed her.Â* Instead of seeing the
>> dentist, he spent a couple of months in jail.

> Wow.Â* That had to be scary, but that's what we're dealing with
> when it comes to opioids.Â* I hope she wasn't hurt.
>
> nancy

He actually lifted her up by the neck.Fortunately, just a bit sore. He
left but the police picked him up shortly after.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 8/4/2018 4:43 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 8/4/2018 2:59 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>>> Dentists are being advised to stop handing out Vicodin as a matter
>>> of course. One Advil before the procedure helped, and I only took
>>> what I needed afterwards. Which for me was maybe only one more
>>> tablet.

>> My daughter managed a dental practice and they did not prescribe it.

> Frankly, I was surprised the first time they gave me the prescription,
> no questions asked, like it was aspirin.

The prescriptions that we have had from dental work have only been for about
10 pills no refills.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 8/4/2018 2:23 PM, Cheri wrote:
>
>> I figure it's a fair trade since they get the house free and clear. That
>> will pay for a lot of trash hauling as well as pizza and beer for the
>> helpers. I have given my "valuables" (to me) to my kids already.

> If I wasn't responsible for my brother's getting a share I would have
> given the place to charity. Was not worth it to me, all that work and
> aggravation.
>
> nancy

Why not give it to your brother and let him have the work and aggravation?

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/4/2018 6:13 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> My former coworker lives around the corner form someone who has two huge
> motorboats in his driveway.Â* It is a street with nice houses and well
> manicured lawns but it looks like crap because of those boats and the
> pickup trucks parked out on the road.
>
> I can't say that the old cars and other scrap is much more of a
> distraction than those boats and trailers.

Just down from me is a street of about 20 houses. There are four big
campers parked at the front of the four houses and they look hideous. I
can't see them but for the once a month I go that way. My neighbor has 3
trucks, SUV, van, tractor, boat, snowmobile, riding mower. Only thing
he lacks is an airplane Oh, he has a forklift truck.

Never thought I'd do it, but I'm moving to a community with an HOA.
No trucks, boats, or trailers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-08-04 8:39 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message

>> Frankly, I was surprised the first time they gave me the prescription,
>> no questions asked, like it was aspirin.

> The prescriptions that we have had from dental work have only been for
> about 10 pills no refills.

When I broke my collar bone in a riding accident I got a prescription
for oxycontin at the ER where I was treated. I went across the street to
get it filled at the 24 hour pharmacy and got a serious lecture from the
pharmacist. He told me that the dosage was way too generous..... 1-2
pills every four hours as needed. He said that was way too much. He said
never take more than one at a time and to wait at least an hour before
taking a second one, and not to take it unless I was in pain... real pain.

I only had enough for a few days and had to go to my doctor to get more.
He wrote a prescription for 30 and I had to go back for more. He
asked if I had any left from the prescription, and when I said I had
about a half dozen he said that I was not abusing it and prescribed 60
more. I only used about half of them.

I have since had a few prescriptions for narcotic painkillers but never
used more than half of them. I have a pretty good stash of pills.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/4/2018 7:16 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 8/4/2018 5:32 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

>> Wow.Â* That had to be scary, but that's what we're dealing with
>> when it comes to opioids.Â* I hope she wasn't hurt.

> He actually lifted her up by the neck.Fortunately, just a bit sore.Â* He
> left but the police picked him up shortly after.

Scary! These pain killer addicts are violent.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/4/2018 8:40 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>> On 8/4/2018 2:23 PM, Cheri wrote:
>>
>>> I figure it's a fair trade since they get the house free and clear.
>>> That will pay for a lot of trash hauling as well as pizza and beer
>>> for the helpers. I have given my "valuables" (to me) to my kids already.

>> If I wasn't responsible for my brother's getting a share I would have
>> given the place to charity.* Was not worth it to me, all that work and
>> aggravation.

> Why not give it to your brother and let him have the work and aggravation?

Three brothers. I would have been happy to turn the place over
to them but I had a responsibility as trustee.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/4/2018 9:14 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 8/4/2018 6:13 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>

>> My former coworker lives around the corner form someone who has two
>> huge motorboats in his driveway.Â* It is a street with nice houses and
>> well manicured lawns but it looks like crap because of those boats and
>> the pickup trucks parked out on the road.
>>
>> I can't say that the old cars and other scrap is much more of a
>> distraction than those boats and trailers.
>>

> Just down from me is a street of about 20 houses.Â* There are four big
> campers parked at the front of the four houses and they look hideous.Â* I
> can't see them but for the once a month I go that way. My neighbor has 3
> trucks, SUV, van, tractor, boat, snowmobile, riding mower.Â* Only thing
> he lacks is an airplaneÂ* Oh, he has a forklift truck.
>
> Â*Never thought I'd do it, but I'm moving to a community with an HOA. No
> trucks, boats, or trailers.

It's a gated community, too. Oh dear, what a shame not to have to see a
bunch of crap/scrap in other people's driveways/yards. <G>

OB Food later: Scrambled eggs, hot (spicy) sausage and fried potatoes...
might turn it into a breakfast burrito.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/4/2018 9:14 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Just down from me is a street of about 20 houses.Â* There are four big
> campers parked at the front of the four houses and they look hideous.

There was someone in our neighborhood down one of the side streets
with an enormous camper in the driveway. Looked horrible and yeah,
I'd be very unhappy if one of my direct neighbors pulled up in one
of those and parked it 50 weeks out of the year. They're an eyesore.

> can't see them but for the once a month I go that way. My neighbor has 3
> trucks, SUV, van, tractor, boat, snowmobile, riding mower.Â* Only thing
> he lacks is an airplaneÂ* Oh, he has a forklift truck.
>
> Â*Never thought I'd do it, but I'm moving to a community with an HOA. No
> trucks, boats, or trailers.

That is a big upside to HOAs, which some people would consider a huge
downside.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 8:59:49 AM UTC-4, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 8/4/2018 9:14 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
> > Just down from me is a street of about 20 houses.Â* There are four big
> > campers parked at the front of the four houses and they look hideous.

> There was someone in our neighborhood down one of the side streets
> with an enormous camper in the driveway. Looked horrible and yeah,
> I'd be very unhappy if one of my direct neighbors pulled up in one
> of those and parked it 50 weeks out of the year. They're an eyesore.
>
> > can't see them but for the once a month I go that way. My neighbor has 3
> > trucks, SUV, van, tractor, boat, snowmobile, riding mower.Â* Only thing
> > he lacks is an airplaneÂ* Oh, he has a forklift truck.
> >
> > Â*Never thought I'd do it, but I'm moving to a community with an HOA. No
> > trucks, boats, or trailers.

> That is a big upside to HOAs, which some people would consider a huge
> downside.
>
> nancy

Everybody's different. In our neighborhood everybody pretty much keeps
up their property, keeps to themselves, and ignores the fact that
we have a utility trailer parked on the concrete pavement outside my
husband's workshop.

Reminds me that I need to load up the small amount of scrap that sits
between the shop and the garage and take it to the reuse center. It'll
fit in the back of my SUV.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-08-05 6:59 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 8/4/2018 9:14 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> Just down from me is a street of about 20 houses.Â* There are four big
>> campers parked at the front of the four houses and they look hideous.

> There was someone in our neighborhood down one of the side streets
> with an enormous camper in the driveway.Â* Looked horrible and yeah,
> I'd be very unhappy if one of my direct neighbors pulled up in one
> of those and parked it 50 weeks out of the year.Â* They're an eyesore.

Not allowed in Calgary. There are privately owned RV storage lots in the
industrial areas or just outside the city.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/5/2018 9:18 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 8:59:49 AM UTC-4, Nancy Young wrote:

>> That is a big upside to HOAs, which some people would consider a huge
>> downside.

> Everybody's different. In our neighborhood everybody pretty much keeps
> up their property, keeps to themselves, and ignores the fact that
> we have a utility trailer parked on the concrete pavement outside my
> husband's workshop.

If it was in the back I don't know that I'd mind, assuming it's
not looming over my fence. Also, I don't live in the countryside
where stuff like that is not in someone's face. If I was going
to get an RV of any size I'd pay to park it somewhere.

> Reminds me that I need to load up the small amount of scrap that sits
> between the shop and the garage and take it to the reuse center. It'll
> fit in the back of my SUV.

Funny you should say that, I have a nice Damry sitting there doing
nothing, we were thinking of trading it in for a smallish used
pickup. Just to haul brush, etc to recycling, or to pick up
large items.

I never noticed how many people have pickups before I started
looking at what model would work for us.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/5/2018 8:41 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 8/4/2018 9:14 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>> Â*Â*Never thought I'd do it, but I'm moving to a community with an HOA.
>> No trucks, boats, or trailers.

> It's a gated community, too.Â* Oh dear, what a shame not to have to see a
> bunch of crap/scrap in other people's driveways/yards. <G>
>
> OB Food later: Scrambled eggs, hot (spicy) sausage and fried potatoes...
> might turn it into a breakfast burrito.
>
> Jill

Once behind the gate there is no contact with the rest of the world.
I'll no longer know if China even exists any more.

Corned beef has this morning. Canned, but with added onions and garlic.
Fried eggs, English muffin.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/5/2018 10:02 AM, graham wrote:
> On 2018-08-05 6:59 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

>> There was someone in our neighborhood down one of the side streets
>> with an enormous camper in the driveway.Â* Looked horrible and yeah,
>> I'd be very unhappy if one of my direct neighbors pulled up in one
>> of those and parked it 50 weeks out of the year.Â* They're an eyesore.
>>

> Not allowed in Calgary. There are privately owned RV storage lots in the
> industrial areas or just outside the city.

Excellent. We have those lots, too. I say if you can afford 10s of
thousands on a vehicle then you can pay to store it.

I'm flashing back to years ago, someone rented the house across the
street and parked is tow behind rv in the street. Pretty big one.
It was a hassle backing out of my driveway. Eventually the cops
told him he had to move it off the street and he moved out soon
thereafter. Buh bye.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/5/2018 9:18 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Everybody's different. In our neighborhood everybody pretty much keeps
> up their property, keeps to themselves, and ignores the fact that
> we have a utility trailer parked on the concrete pavement outside my
> husband's workshop.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

A small utility trailer is not a big deal, my neighbor has a larger one.
I'd not be happy living near the camper down the street. It is huge,
about 28 to 30 feet long, parked on the grass parallel to the street.
It is about 12 feet high and blocks a lot of view. A half dozen houses
down there is another, parked in a bit more from the street.

Rather that try to draw a line what size is permitted, most just say "no
trailers" Fine by me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Once behind the gate there is no contact with the rest of the world.
> I'll no longer know if China even exists any more.

Nothing wrong with gated communities as long as you like the
rules and monthly expense. Just don't let your brain become gated
like Jill has. Get out and enjoy life beyond.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 5 Aug 2018 10:08:19 -0400, Nancy Young >
wrote:
snip

>I never noticed how many people have pickups before I started
>looking at what model would work for us.
>
>nancy

they have better re-sale value than most cars.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 5 Aug 2018 10:17:11 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 8/5/2018 9:18 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>

>> Everybody's different. In our neighborhood everybody pretty much keeps
>> up their property, keeps to themselves, and ignores the fact that
>> we have a utility trailer parked on the concrete pavement outside my
>> husband's workshop.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

>A small utility trailer is not a big deal, my neighbor has a larger one.
> I'd not be happy living near the camper down the street. It is huge,
>about 28 to 30 feet long, parked on the grass parallel to the street.
>It is about 12 feet high and blocks a lot of view. A half dozen houses
>down there is another, parked in a bit more from the street.
>
>Rather that try to draw a line what size is permitted, most just say "no
>trailers" Fine by me.

I've been meaning to call the fire department and have them take a
look down the street. Two residences across the street from each
other have parked their big toys side-by-side at the intersection
corner. Naturally you can't see around the stuff but I'm not sure a
fire truck or emergency vehicle can get in here. That corner is the
only entrance to our small neighborhood. I know when coming home as I
turn into the street I have to be careful to not tear up the right
side of my vehicle on a large boat hitch while trying to avoid running
into a travel trailer with my left front. The one guy has built a
"toy" pen that is double wide and 3 vehicles deep but so many toys the
pen is full.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/5/2018 10:44 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Aug 2018 10:08:19 -0400, Nancy Young >
> wrote:
> snip
>>
>> I never noticed how many people have pickups before I started
>> looking at what model would work for us.
>>
>> nancy
>>

> they have better re-sale value than most cars.

Pickups are selling better than sedans. I don't get it for most people
though. Maybe once a year or two I'd use one but having that big open
space to put a couple of bags of groceries makes little sense when it
rains. Few people seem to really use a truck as it was designed for.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-08-05 8:59 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 8/4/2018 9:14 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> Just down from me is a street of about 20 houses.Â* There are four big
>> campers parked at the front of the four houses and they look hideous.

> There was someone in our neighborhood down one of the side streets
> with an enormous camper in the driveway.Â* Looked horrible and yeah,
> I'd be very unhappy if one of my direct neighbors pulled up in one
> of those and parked it 50 weeks out of the year.Â* They're an eyesore.

The guy two doors down from me has a ton of toys out on display most of
the time. He has a couple acres but everything is beside or in front of
the house and the front yard is small. There are is wife's car, his SUV
and pickup truck, a lawn tractor,lawn mower, kid's bike, wading pool a
mini front end loader/backhoe, his camper trailer and a cargo container.
When the weather his nice his two Harleys get parked on the driveway.

Thank goodness the previous owner of the house next door planted a lot
of trees in his front lawn. I only see the collection when I go by. I
can no longer see it from my kitchen window.

>> can't see them but for the once a month I go that way. My neighbor has
>> 3 trucks, SUV, van, tractor, boat, snowmobile, riding mower.Â* Only
>> thing he lacks is an airplaneÂ* Oh, he has a forklift truck.
>>
>> Â*Â*Never thought I'd do it, but I'm moving to a community with an HOA.
>> No trucks, boats, or trailers.

> That is a big upside to HOAs, which some people would consider a huge
> downside.
>
> nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-08-05 9:30 AM, l not -l wrote:
> On 5-Aug-2018, wrote:
>
>> OB Food later: Scrambled eggs, hot (spicy) sausage and fried potatoes...
>> might turn it into a breakfast burrito.
>>
>> Jill

> I just finished a breakfast burrito. I had half a link of andouille sausage
> begging to be used; diced and scrambled into eggs. Stuffed into a
> multi-grain burrito sized tortilla with a bit of cheese. A very fine
> breakfast.
>
> I hope you enjoy/enjoyed yours as much as I enjoyed mine.

My son is on the way over with some stale bread to make French toast. I
picked up some nice double smoked bacon, some eggs and spinach. The
eggs and the spinach will be scrambled up with some hot sauce. Eggs are
delicious done that way but I don't imagine they will be great alongside
the French toast. I will just have to eat the eggs first.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-08-05 10:44 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Aug 2018 10:08:19 -0400, Nancy Young >
> wrote:
> snip
>>
>> I never noticed how many people have pickups before I started
>> looking at what model would work for us.
>>
>> nancy
>>

> they have better re-sale value than most cars.

They also cost more for insurance, burn more fuel, are less comfortable
to drive, harder to park..... and all your friends think you want to
spend your time off picking up things for them, taking things to the
dump....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/5/2018 10:44 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Aug 2018 10:08:19 -0400, Nancy Young >
> wrote:
> snip
>>
>> I never noticed how many people have pickups before I started
>> looking at what model would work for us.

> they have better re-sale value than most cars.

I see that! There must be a great market for used pickups.

If I'm going to have two vehicles, I'd like one to be more
useful for things besides transporting people.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-08-05 11:24 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Pickups are selling better than sedans.Â* I don't get it for most people
> though.Â* Maybe once a year or two I'd use one but having that big open
> space to put a couple of bags of groceries makes little sense when it
> rains. Few people seem to really use a truck as it was designed for.

They are handy when you are doing renovations, when picking up
appliances, making runs to the dump. You will also be asked to do it
for friends and relatives. For the few times you actually do it for
yourself it is cheaper to rent a truck or pay a delivery fee.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-08-05 11:38 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 8/5/2018 10:44 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Sun, 5 Aug 2018 10:08:19 -0400, Nancy Young >
>> wrote:
>> snip
>>>
>>> I never noticed how many people have pickups before I started
>>> looking at what model would work for us.

>> they have better re-sale value than most cars.

> I see that!Â* There must be a great market for used pickups.
>
> If I'm going to have two vehicles, I'd like one to be more
> useful for things besides transporting people.

It seems to depend on the price of gas. When the price of gas goes up
everyone wants to dump their trucks and get fuel efficient cars. As
soon as the price drops they all want trucks again.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 10:08:21 AM UTC-4, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 8/5/2018 9:18 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 8:59:49 AM UTC-4, Nancy Young wrote:

> >> That is a big upside to HOAs, which some people would consider a huge
> >> downside.

> > Everybody's different. In our neighborhood everybody pretty much keeps
> > up their property, keeps to themselves, and ignores the fact that
> > we have a utility trailer parked on the concrete pavement outside my
> > husband's workshop.

> If it was in the back I don't know that I'd mind, assuming it's
> not looming over my fence. Also, I don't live in the countryside
> where stuff like that is not in someone's face. If I was going
> to get an RV of any size I'd pay to park it somewhere.

You can see it from the street. However, at 2 acres my yard is one
of the larger ones (most are 1 acre). The trailer is a good 100 feet
from the nearest property lines. It's about 4x8x3.5 feet, so it's
not like a big honkin' RV sitting there.

I'd like to park it behind the shop, but it wouldn't be nearly as
convenient there. I might try to move it before the snow flies,
as it's a pain to snowblow around it, and that duty falls to me
now.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 11:42:28 AM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-08-05 11:24 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
> > Pickups are selling better than sedans.Â* I don't get it for most people
> > though.Â* Maybe once a year or two I'd use one but having that big open
> > space to put a couple of bags of groceries makes little sense when it
> > rains. Few people seem to really use a truck as it was designed for.

> They are handy when you are doing renovations, when picking up
> appliances, making runs to the dump. You will also be asked to do it
> for friends and relatives. For the few times you actually do it for
> yourself it is cheaper to rent a truck or pay a delivery fee.

That's why I have a utility trailer. Only hitch it up when I need
to haul stuff. It's small enough that my lawn tractor can pull it;
it was invaluable doing cleanup from the latest windstorm.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 5 Aug 2018 11:38:12 -0400, Nancy Young >
wrote:

>On 8/5/2018 10:44 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Sun, 5 Aug 2018 10:08:19 -0400, Nancy Young >
>> wrote:
>> snip
>>>
>>> I never noticed how many people have pickups before I started
>>> looking at what model would work for us.

>> they have better re-sale value than most cars.

>I see that! There must be a great market for used pickups.
>
>If I'm going to have two vehicles, I'd like one to be more
>useful for things besides transporting people.
>
>nancy

we've had pick-ups for so long I don't know how we would do without
one. I think modern pick-ups are so popular because the cab is built
for the comfort of the occupants vs. sedans and people comfort. You
can easily carry 6 adult males with long legs and a couple of dogs in
the cab. If you do anything besides city stuff you have gear for the
hobby, sport or job.. Then there are the trips to the landfill or
bringing home the new TV or the new mattress set or a couple of sheets
of plywood, those 50 pound bags of potting soil or dog food, etc. Out
here most everyone has a pickup of some size. If they work downtown
they probably have a small economy car as well.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 5 Aug 2018 11:48:52 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2018-08-05 11:38 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>> On 8/5/2018 10:44 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>> On Sun, 5 Aug 2018 10:08:19 -0400, Nancy Young >
>>> wrote:
>>> snip

>>> they have better re-sale value than most cars.

>> I see that!* There must be a great market for used pickups.
>>
>> If I'm going to have two vehicles, I'd like one to be more
>> useful for things besides transporting people.

>It seems to depend on the price of gas. When the price of gas goes up
>everyone wants to dump their trucks and get fuel efficient cars. As
>soon as the price drops they all want trucks again.

didn't happen the last time gas went up. I think you are remembering
the stories from about 30 years ago when the issue was honking big
cars.