Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How do you ...

get a good even scorch on peppers and tomatoes ? I sorta-kinda scorched
and peeled 7 Anaheims for chiles rellenos for tonight's dinner , and I'm
not at all proud of the job I did . I used our gas range , held the
peppers over the flames with a pair of tongs . Just couldn't get a
decent even scorch . I came very near carrying them out to the shop and
using my forge/foundry burner ! Night before last I had the same
problems with tomatoes and jalapenos for a batch of salsa - still in
research mode on that one , still haven't found the flavor I'm looking
for .

Â*Tonight's chiles will be stuffed with some diced pork loin steak
that's been marinating in some white wine and spices for a few hours -
additional flavor will be provided by a fajita seasoning that I make
from scratch . Accompaniment will be provided by some Spanish Rice and
canned southwest-style white beans . Dinner music by Willie Nelson and
friends .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 19:15:18 -0500, Terry Coombs >
wrote:

>get a good even scorch on peppers and tomatoes ? I sorta-kinda scorched
>and peeled 7 Anaheims for chiles rellenos for tonight's dinner , and I'm
>not at all proud of the job I did . I used our gas range , held the
>peppers over the flames with a pair of tongs . Just couldn't get a
>decent even scorch . I came very near carrying them out to the shop and
>using my forge/foundry burner ! Night before last I had the same
>problems with tomatoes and jalapenos for a batch of salsa - still in
>research mode on that one , still haven't found the flavor I'm looking
>for .
>
> *Tonight's chiles will be stuffed with some diced pork loin steak
>that's been marinating in some white wine and spices for a few hours -
>additional flavor will be provided by a fajita seasoning that I make
>from scratch . Accompaniment will be provided by some Spanish Rice and
>canned southwest-style white beans .

Sounds great, I'd love to see it. I season pork with Penzys adobo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>get a good even scorch on peppers and tomatoes ? I sorta-kinda scorched
>and peeled 7 Anaheims for chiles rellenos for tonight's dinner , and I'm
>not at all proud of the job I did . I used our gas range , held the
>peppers over the flames with a pair of tongs . Just couldn't get a
>decent even scorch . I came very near carrying them out to the shop and
>using my forge/foundry burner ! Night before last I had the same
>problems with tomatoes and jalapenos for a batch of salsa - still in
>research mode on that one , still haven't found the flavor I'm looking
>for .
>
> *Tonight's chiles will be stuffed with some diced pork loin steak
>that's been marinating in some white wine and spices for a few hours -
>additional flavor will be provided by a fajita seasoning that I make
>from scratch . Accompaniment will be provided by some Spanish Rice and
>canned southwest-style white beans . Dinner music by Willie Nelson and
>friends .

I don't know how to do a small batch differently. I'd put them on the
grate of my gas grill. For end of season large batches, I fire up the
Weber grill. When the coals are white I lay the peppers directly on
the coals. You'll want leather gloves and long tongs for this job.
http://s1171.photobucket.com/user/ge...db864.jpg.html

Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/19/2018 7:33 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 19:15:18 -0500, Terry Coombs >
> wrote:
>
>> get a good even scorch on peppers and tomatoes ? I sorta-kinda scorched
>> and peeled 7 Anaheims for chiles rellenos for tonight's dinner , and I'm
>> not at all proud of the job I did . I used our gas range , held the
>> peppers over the flames with a pair of tongs . Just couldn't get a
>> decent even scorch . I came very near carrying them out to the shop and
>> using my forge/foundry burner ! Night before last I had the same
>> problems with tomatoes and jalapenos for a batch of salsa - still in
>> research mode on that one , still haven't found the flavor I'm looking
>> for .
>>
>> Â*Tonight's chiles will be stuffed with some diced pork loin steak
>> that's been marinating in some white wine and spices for a few hours -
>> additional flavor will be provided by a fajita seasoning that I make
> >from scratch . Accompaniment will be provided by some Spanish Rice and
>> canned southwest-style white beans . Dinner music by Willie Nelson and
>> friends .

> I don't know how to do a small batch differently. I'd put them on the
> grate of my gas grill. For end of season large batches, I fire up the
> Weber grill. When the coals are white I lay the peppers directly on
> the coals. You'll want leather gloves and long tongs for this job.
> http://s1171.photobucket.com/user/ge...db864.jpg.html
>
> Janet US

Â* Welding gloves and tongs ... they turned out pretty good , but next
time I'm going to use a coating that doesn't absorb so much grease .
What I used tonight was whipped egg whites with beaten yolks folded in
and it just really sucked it up .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, July 19, 2018 at 7:14:36 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
> get a good even scorch on peppers and tomatoes ? I sorta-kinda scorched
> and peeled 7 Anaheims for chiles rellenos for tonight's dinner , and I'm
> not at all proud of the job I did . I used our gas range , held the
> peppers over the flames with a pair of tongs . Just couldn't get a
> decent even scorch . I came very near carrying them out to the shop and
> using my forge/foundry burner ! Night before last I had the same
> problems with tomatoes and jalapenos for a batch of salsa - still in
> research mode on that one , still haven't found the flavor I'm looking
> for .
>
> Â*Tonight's chiles will be stuffed with some diced pork loin steak
> that's been marinating in some white wine and spices for a few hours -
> additional flavor will be provided by a fajita seasoning that I make
> from scratch . Accompaniment will be provided by some Spanish Rice and
> canned southwest-style white beans . Dinner music by Willie Nelson and
> friends .

Most people just lay them on the grate of their gas stove and turn them
as they begin to show a char. When you've got the char you want then
slip them into a zip lock plastic bag, seal it, and wait for about 10
minutes. The steam from the peppers will loosen the skin and make them
easier to peel.

Did you use your most powerful burner on your stove to char them?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 20:52:38 -0500, Terry Coombs >
wrote:

>On 7/19/2018 7:33 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 19:15:18 -0500, Terry Coombs >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> get a good even scorch on peppers and tomatoes ? I sorta-kinda scorched
>>> and peeled 7 Anaheims for chiles rellenos for tonight's dinner , and I'm
>>> not at all proud of the job I did . I used our gas range , held the
>>> peppers over the flames with a pair of tongs . Just couldn't get a
>>> decent even scorch . I came very near carrying them out to the shop and
>>> using my forge/foundry burner ! Night before last I had the same
>>> problems with tomatoes and jalapenos for a batch of salsa - still in
>>> research mode on that one , still haven't found the flavor I'm looking
>>> for .
>>>
>>> *Tonight's chiles will be stuffed with some diced pork loin steak
>>> that's been marinating in some white wine and spices for a few hours -
>>> additional flavor will be provided by a fajita seasoning that I make
>> >from scratch . Accompaniment will be provided by some Spanish Rice and
>>> canned southwest-style white beans . Dinner music by Willie Nelson and
>>> friends .

>> I don't know how to do a small batch differently. I'd put them on the
>> grate of my gas grill. For end of season large batches, I fire up the
>> Weber grill. When the coals are white I lay the peppers directly on
>> the coals. You'll want leather gloves and long tongs for this job.
>> http://s1171.photobucket.com/user/ge...db864.jpg.html
>>
>> Janet US

> * Welding gloves and tongs ... they turned out pretty good , but next
>time I'm going to use a coating that doesn't absorb so much grease .
>What I used tonight was whipped egg whites with beaten yolks folded in
>and it just really sucked it up .

sometimes that is the temp of the oil that does that
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/19/2018 9:54 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 20:52:38 -0500, Terry Coombs >
> wrote:
>
>> On 7/19/2018 7:33 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>>> I don't know how to do a small batch differently. I'd put them on the
>>> grate of my gas grill. For end of season large batches, I fire up the
>>> Weber grill. When the coals are white I lay the peppers directly on
>>> the coals. You'll want leather gloves and long tongs for this job.
>>> http://s1171.photobucket.com/user/ge...db864.jpg.html
>>>
>>> Janet US

>> Â* Welding gloves and tongs ... they turned out pretty good , but next
>> time I'm going to use a coating that doesn't absorb so much grease .
>> What I used tonight was whipped egg whites with beaten yolks folded in
>> and it just really sucked it up .

> sometimes that is the temp of the oil that does that

Â* I knew the first one or two the oil was too cool , jacked it up for
the rest . The problem is that the egg mixture is so porous . The ones
we get in restaurants do not have that kind of coating , and they are
NOT greasy - these were . I'm going to try an egg/flour/cornmeal batter
mix next time , that's more like what I've had when eating out . I may
also try some stuffed with cheese and wrapped with bacon on the grill .
She can't eat those , but I can ... and there are easily a dozen or more
fruits on the plants plus probably that many more some blossoms too .
Plenty for trying out to see what we like . I just have to make sure I
let one or two fully ripen so I'll have seeds for next year .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

now i roast them in the oven. when i've
had a gas stove i'd use the flames directly.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message news
[...]

===

I don't like spicy food but you had me at Willie Nelson)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 22:39:05 -0500, Terry Coombs >
wrote:

>On 7/19/2018 9:54 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 20:52:38 -0500, Terry Coombs >
>> wrote:

>>> * Welding gloves and tongs ... they turned out pretty good , but next
>>> time I'm going to use a coating that doesn't absorb so much grease .
>>> What I used tonight was whipped egg whites with beaten yolks folded in
>>> and it just really sucked it up .

>> sometimes that is the temp of the oil that does that

> * I knew the first one or two the oil was too cool , jacked it up for
>the rest . The problem is that the egg mixture is so porous . The ones
>we get in restaurants do not have that kind of coating , and they are
>NOT greasy - these were . I'm going to try an egg/flour/cornmeal batter
>mix next time , that's more like what I've had when eating out . I may
>also try some stuffed with cheese and wrapped with bacon on the grill .
>She can't eat those , but I can ... and there are easily a dozen or more
>fruits on the plants plus probably that many more some blossoms too .
>Plenty for trying out to see what we like . I just have to make sure I
>let one or two fully ripen so I'll have seeds for next year .

I don't have any recipes to hand right now. But as I recall there are
3 approaches to making the stuffed peppers. One is as you have tried.
Another is (off the top of my memory) to make a kind of pancaky
batter, you put down the batter then lay the stuffed pepper on top of
the batter and then cover with more batter. I think, with that
approach you will not have to use as much grease in the pan. I will
be more like doing pancakes. This way will probably take more time
and be more finicky about getting the cheese stuffing melted. Your
pan temp will probably have to be medium to just below medium Look
around for different recipes.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 20:54:01 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 20:52:38 -0500, Terry Coombs >
>wrote:
>
>>On 7/19/2018 7:33 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>>> I don't know how to do a small batch differently. I'd put them on the
>>> grate of my gas grill. For end of season large batches, I fire up the
>>> Weber grill. When the coals are white I lay the peppers directly on
>>> the coals. You'll want leather gloves and long tongs for this job.
>>> http://s1171.photobucket.com/user/ge...db864.jpg.html
>>>
>>> Janet US

>> * Welding gloves and tongs ... they turned out pretty good , but next
>>time I'm going to use a coating that doesn't absorb so much grease .
>>What I used tonight was whipped egg whites with beaten yolks folded in
>>and it just really sucked it up .

>sometimes that is the temp of the oil that does that

I'm not into hot peppers stuffed or not... however I love these:
https://www.amazon.com/Iberia-Manzan...stuffed+olives
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Jul 2018 11:27:01 -0400, wrote:

snip

>I'm not into hot peppers stuffed or not... however I love these:

https://www.amazon.com/Iberia-Manzan...stuffed+olives

what's not to like?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/20/2018 10:31 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jul 2018 11:27:01 -0400, wrote:
>
> snip
>> I'm not into hot peppers stuffed or not... however I love these:

https://www.amazon.com/Iberia-Manzan...stuffed+olives
> what's not to like?

Â* Ummm , the anchovies ? I used to hate making a pizza (when I worked
at Pizza Slut) with those hairy smelly things . Hands would smell like
that for hours after .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/20/2018 9:56 AM, l not -l wrote:
> On 19-Jul-2018, " >
> wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, July 19, 2018 at 7:14:36 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
>>> get a good even scorch on peppers and tomatoes ? I sorta-kinda scorched
>>> and peeled 7 Anaheims for chiles rellenos for tonight's dinner , and I'm
>>>
>>> not at all proud of the job I did . I used our gas range , held the
>>> peppers over the flames with a pair of tongs . Just couldn't get a
>>> decent even scorch . I came very near carrying them out to the shop and
>>> using my forge/foundry burner ! Night before last I had the same
>>> problems with tomatoes and jalapenos for a batch of salsa - still in
>>> research mode on that one , still haven't found the flavor I'm looking
>>> for .
>>>
>>> ÂÂ*Tonight's chiles will be stuffed with some diced pork loin steak
>>> that's been marinating in some white wine and spices for a few hours -
>>> additional flavor will be provided by a fajita seasoning that I make
>>> from scratch . Accompaniment will be provided by some Spanish Rice and
>>> canned southwest-style white beans . Dinner music by Willie Nelson and
>>> friends .
>>>

>> Most people just lay them on the grate of their gas stove and turn them
>> as they begin to show a char. When you've got the char you want then
>> slip them into a zip lock plastic bag, seal it, and wait for about 10
>> minutes. The steam from the peppers will loosen the skin and make them
>> easier to peel.

> I do a small batch (1 or 2) of poblanos just about every week and the method
> you describe is the one I use. It has always worked well for me. I have
> also used it on the occasional Anaheims with similar success. I have also
> used the broiler for larger batches and been pleased with the result; IMO,
> the key is the steaming to loosen the last. stubborn bits. OTOH, I may not
> be as picky as some about what constitutes a good "even scorch". In
> general, when I'm done, all the peel has been removed from the pepper,
> except the stem end which gets cut off to remove the seed pod.

Â* I've been dropping them into a small plastic bowl and letting them
sit covered until cool . Maybe I should keep the bowl covered except
when I'm dropping another in ...

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Jul 2018 11:16:08 -0500, Terry Coombs >
wrote:

snip

> * I've been dropping them into a small plastic bowl and letting them
>sit covered until cool . Maybe I should keep the bowl covered except
>when I'm dropping another in ...

yes
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> I don't like spicy food but you had me at Willie Nelson)

Willie Nelson is cool. Did you ever see his movie "Stagecoach?"
It's a remake of an older movie but Willie's version is much
nicer. It's a Western and he plays Doc Holliday. Worth watching,
imo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stagecoach_(1986_film)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote:

> I don't like spicy food but you had me at Willie Nelson)

Willie Nelson is cool. Did you ever see his movie "Stagecoach?"
It's a remake of an older movie but Willie's version is much
nicer. It's a Western and he plays Doc Holliday. Worth watching,
imo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stagecoach_(1986_film)

==

No, I've never seen that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-07-20 3:04 PM, Gary wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> I don't like spicy food but you had me at Willie Nelson)

> Willie Nelson is cool. Did you ever see his movie "Stagecoach?"
> It's a remake of an older movie but Willie's version is much
> nicer. It's a Western and he plays Doc Holliday. Worth watching,
> imo.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stagecoach_(1986_film)

I recently saw Paradox, a strange, fanciful kind of story about a bunch
of outlaw musicians including Willie Nelson, his son and Neil Young. It
is directed by Darryl Hannah. It is a very enjoyable film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVpYJUVBwV8

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 20:54:01 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 20:52:38 -0500, Terry Coombs >
>> wrote:

http://s1171.photobucket.com/user/ge...db864.jpg.html

>>> Welding gloves and tongs ... they turned out pretty good , but next
>>> time I'm going to use a coating that doesn't absorb so much grease .
>>> What I used tonight was whipped egg whites with beaten yolks folded in
>>> and it just really sucked it up .

>> sometimes that is the temp of the oil that does that

> I'm not into hot peppers stuffed or not... however I love these:
> https://www.amazon.com/Iberia-Manzan...stuffed+olives

Good for you, Popeye! That was most helpful.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Coombs wrote:
> On 7/20/2018 10:31 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Fri, 20 Jul 2018 11:27:01 -0400, wrote:
>>
>> snip
>>> I'm not into hot peppers stuffed or not... however I love these:

https://www.amazon.com/Iberia-Manzan...stuffed+olives

>> what's not to like?

> Ummm , the anchovies ? I used to hate making a pizza (when I worked
> at Pizza Slut) with those hairy smelly things . Hands would smell like
> that for hours after .

Popeye *LOVES* hairy smelly things

Posted to rec.food.cooking

l not -l wrote:
> On 20-Jul-2018, Terry Coombs > wrote:
>
>> On 7/20/2018 9:56 AM, l not -l wrote:

>>> I do a small batch (1 or 2) of poblanos just about every week and the
>>> method
>>> you describe is the one I use. It has always worked well for me. I
>>> have
>>> also used it on the occasional Anaheims with similar success. I have
>>> also
>>> used the broiler for larger batches and been pleased with the result;
>>> IMO,
>>> the key is the steaming to loosen the last. stubborn bits. OTOH, I may
>>> not
>>> be as picky as some about what constitutes a good "even scorch". In
>>> general, when I'm done, all the peel has been removed from the pepper,
>>> except the stem end which gets cut off to remove the seed pod.
>>>

>> Â I've been dropping them into a small plastic bowl and letting them
>> sit covered until cool . Maybe I should keep the bowl covered except
>> when I'm dropping another in ...

> More often than not, I use a paper bag, such as a lunch bag, and fold the
> top over to "seal". I think an open bowl would let the steam escape rather
> than loosen the stubborn bits.

That's what I've done in the past, and it works. I only had an electric
broiler to do it, and you cannot leave them for 2 seconds.

I guess the best way are those giant wire baskets constantly turning
over a gas flame work best, but you can get decent peppers if you are
careful.

Once they have been sort of evenly roasted, put them in the bag or bowl,
and don't let air get to them until they completely cool.

The skins will come off easily.

I also tried using a propane torch, and it will work well if you only
need one or two peppers. More than that, it becomes too time and energy
wasting.

I LOVE roasted peppers, especially stuffed with cheese.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 20, 2018 at 11:12:33 AM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
> On 7/20/2018 10:31 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> > On Fri, 20 Jul 2018 11:27:01 -0400, wrote:
> >
> > snip
> >> I'm not into hot peppers stuffed or not... however I love these:

https://www.amazon.com/Iberia-Manzan...stuffed+olives
> > what's not to like?

> Â* Ummm , the anchovies ? I used to hate making a pizza (when I worked
> at Pizza Slut) with those hairy smelly things . Hands would smell like
> that for hours after .
>
> --
> Snag
> Yes , I'm old
> and crochety .
> Get off my lawn !
>

> ---

Should have worn exam gloves!

I LOVE good anchovies, but not the salt bombs that cheap ones are.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/20/2018 6:18 PM, John Kuthe wrote:

> I LOVE good anchovies, but not the salt bombs that cheap ones are.

Amazingly, salt-packed anchovies in a 2 lb tin --imported from Italy!--
are the least salty and best tasting anchovies. Stay away from
anchovies packed in oil (glass or tin).

Unfortunately, those same anchovies were also responsible for my first,
most painful, and longest lasting, gout attack. I was on a cane for
weeks! 8|

nb