Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default New supermarket opened

It's the first Food Emporium in my neck of the woods. We took
a ride over to check it out.

Reminds me of Wegman's. There was a lot of prepared food that looked
really good. Funny thing is, we don't go looking for prepared food
but I saw some eggplant lasagna that looked great and it turned out to
be delicious.

I'd shop there if it wasn't so far.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> It's the first Food Emporium in my neck of the woods. We took
> a ride over to check it out.
>
> Reminds me of Wegman's. There was a lot of prepared food that looked
> really good. Funny thing is, we don't go looking for prepared food
> but I saw some eggplant lasagna that looked great and it turned out to
> be delicious.
>
> I'd shop there if it wasn't so far.

We had one in Lynnwood but it closed. Ours was related to Town and Country
which is related to Central Market. It was a large, beautiful place with a
massive selection, especially for things like gluten free and health food
type items. But the prices were very high. I used to buy some peanuts there
that were Margarita flavored. Have not seen them anywhere else except
online. Tried to recreate them at home. Managed to get the flavor pretty
good but not the crunchy texture.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, July 15, 2018 at 9:25:01 AM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:

> We had one in Lynnwood but it closed. Ours was related to Town and Country
> which is related to Central Market. It was a large, beautiful place with a
> massive selection, especially for things like gluten free and health food
> type items. But the prices were very high. I used to buy some peanuts there
> that were Margarita flavored. Have not seen them anywhere else except
> online. Tried to recreate them at home. Managed to get the flavor pretty
> good but not the crunchy texture.

I remember going to a boutique food store in the SF Bay area back in '78. The low shelves were made of wood and chrome steel with dramatic halogen lighting. Everything was clean, clear, and bright. They sold canned foods from Europe. It felt like the future of food sales - and it was good.

I'll bet your gardener friend would enjoy boiled peanuts. I made some recently. Everybody loves those things. Well, everyone except me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/15/2018 3:24 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>> It's the first Food Emporium in my neck of the woods.Â* We took
>> a ride over to check it out.
>>
>> Reminds me of Wegman's.Â* There was a lot of prepared food that looked
>> really good.Â* Funny thing is, we don't go looking for prepared food
>> but I saw some eggplant lasagna that looked great and it turned out to
>> be delicious.
>>
>> I'd shop there if it wasn't so far.

> We had one in Lynnwood but it closed. Ours was related to Town and
> Country which is related to Central Market. It was a large, beautiful
> place with a massive selection, especially for things like gluten free
> and health food type items. But the prices were very high.

I didn't notice the prices being out of line but then I don't do
a lot of comparison shopping.

This place replaced a defunct A&P. closing of that store left a
large area without a supermarket nearby. People will still probably
drive 10 miles out of their way to save 10 cents on burger.

>I used to buy
> some peanuts there that were Margarita flavored. Have not seen them
> anywhere else except online. Tried to recreate them at home. Managed to
> get the flavor pretty good but not the crunchy texture.

Those sound interesting. I wasn't happy to see that Whole Foods stopped
carrying butter roasted peanuts. Addictive.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> type items. But the prices were very high. I used to buy some peanuts there
> that were Margarita flavored. Have not seen them anywhere else except
> online. Tried to recreate them at home. Managed to get the flavor pretty
> good but not the crunchy texture.

hmm, like peanut brittle or sea foam or?

could be pralines type or...

with candy temperature and ingredients are
critical.

i used to make chocolates by the hundreds.
if i could manage standing or sitting behind a
counter or some other work surface i'd be
running a small coffee shop, bakery, book store,
and candy store right now. i enjoyed the fun
in coming up with new recipes and figuring out
how to get them to work with various other
combinations.

the downside to any business these days is
that it's just a pain in the ass when it comes
down to regulations and when you have to hire
others...

gardening is so much easier.

songbird