Old 13-07-2018, 11:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Here's a Question

If you wear rings, do you wear them when you are cooking?

I often see cooking shows where people are wearing rings while kneading
dough or tossing things like potatoes or other vegetables with oil
before putting them on a baking sheet. I have to wonder, doesn't that
muck them up? I always take my jewelry off before I cook. I also
frequently wash my hands so hey, I don't want to accidentally wash a
ring down the drain. Don't set them on the window sill above the sink!

What say you?

Jill

Old Yesterday, 12:41 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message
If you wear rings, do you wear them when you are cooking?

I often see cooking shows where people are wearing rings while kneading
dough or tossing things like potatoes or other vegetables with oil before
putting them on a baking sheet. I have to wonder, doesn't that muck them
up? I always take my jewelry off before I cook. I also frequently wash
my hands so hey, I don't want to accidentally wash a ring down the drain.
Don't set them on the window sill above the sink!

What say you?

Jill

I never wore rings while cooking, most of the tv cooks do. I passed my
jewelry onto my girls so just a wedding band now which I do take off if
getting into the food, like meat loaf etc.

Cheri

Old Yesterday, 12:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2018 6:58 PM, jmcquown wrote:
If you wear rings, do you wear them when you are cooking?

I often see cooking shows where people are wearing rings while kneading
dough or tossing things like potatoes or other vegetables with oil
before putting them on a baking sheet.* I have to wonder, doesn't that
muck them up?* I always take my jewelry off before I cook.* I also
frequently wash my hands so hey, I don't want to accidentally wash a
ring down the drain.* Don't set them on the window sill above the sink!

What say you?

Jill

Simple wedding band never comes off. If I had an ornate ring with
stones I probably would remove it.
Old Yesterday, 12:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 13, 2018 at 5:59:05 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:

If you wear rings, do you wear them when you are cooking?

I often see cooking shows where people are wearing rings while kneading
dough or tossing things like potatoes or other vegetables with oil
before putting them on a baking sheet. I have to wonder, doesn't that
muck them up? I always take my jewelry off before I cook. I also
frequently wash my hands so hey, I don't want to accidentally wash a
ring down the drain. Don't set them on the window sill above the sink!

What say you?

Jill

I do wear a low to the finger ring all the time when cooking. But if it's
something like meatloaf, then yes, it comes off. I can't think of anything
right off hand that I actually get into and use my hands.

I remember seeing Paula Deen with those big honking rings on and she'd be
right in the middle of the whatever she was making and never take them off.
Ewwwwwwwww.

Old Yesterday, 12:55 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2018 6:47 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/13/2018 6:58 PM, jmcquown wrote:
If you wear rings, do you wear them when you are cooking?

I often see cooking shows where people are wearing rings while
kneading dough or tossing things like potatoes or other vegetables
with oil before putting them on a baking sheet.* I have to wonder,
doesn't that muck them up?* I always take my jewelry off before I
cook.* I also frequently wash my hands so hey, I don't want to
accidentally wash a ring down the drain. Don't set them on the window
sill above the sink!

What say you?

Jill

Simple wedding band never comes off.* If I had an ornate ring with
stones I probably would remove it.

* I regret that I can no longer wear my wedding band . Arthritic joint
enlargement makes it - HEY ! the joint has gone down enough to get it on
, oh happy day . Thanks Jill for starting this thread . I really miss
wearing my ring , but it had gotten painful .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old Yesterday, 01:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-07-13 7:47 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I often see cooking shows where people are wearing rings while
kneading dough or tossing things like potatoes or other vegetables
with oil before putting them on a baking sheet.* I have to wonder,
doesn't that muck them up?* I always take my jewelry off before I
cook.* I also frequently wash my hands so hey, I don't want to
accidentally wash a ring down the drain.* Don't set them on the window
sill above the sink!

What say you?

Jill

Simple wedding band never comes off.* If I had an ornate ring with
stones I probably would remove it.

I have a simple wedding band that I stopped wearing years ago because I
worked around equipment. It is somewhere in my underwear drawer.... last
time I saw it. I do not wear any jewelry, just a watch.

Old Yesterday, 01:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2018 7:55 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

Um, you're welcome! Of course I had nothing to do with your ring now
fitting.

Jill
Old Yesterday, 01:59 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2018 7:52 PM, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Oh I know that , you just reminded me to try it on .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old Yesterday, 03:32 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-07-13 7:47 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I often see cooking shows where people are wearing rings while
kneading dough or tossing things like potatoes or other vegetables
with oil before putting them on a baking sheet.* I have to wonder,
doesn't that muck them up?* I always take my jewelry off before I
cook.* I also frequently wash my hands so hey, I don't want to
accidentally wash a ring down the drain.* Don't set them on the
window sill above the sink!

What say you?

Jill

Simple wedding band never comes off.* If I had an ornate ring with
stones I probably would remove it.

I have a simple wedding band that I stopped wearing years ago because I
worked around equipment. It is somewhere in my underwear drawer.... last
time I saw it.** I* do not wear any jewelry, just a watch.

Do you take your watch off when making, for example, pie crust? In some
circles, a watch could be considered jewelry.

Jill

Old Yesterday, 03:46 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-07-13 7:47 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Simple wedding band never comes off.* If I had an ornate ring with
stones I probably would remove it.

I have a simple wedding band that I stopped wearing years ago because I
worked around equipment. It is somewhere in my underwear drawer.... last
time I saw it.** I* do not wear any jewelry, just a watch.

Do you take your watch off when making...

Ok, this is where I stopped reading. Talk about TMI.
Old Yesterday, 09:56 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message
If you wear rings, do you wear them when you are cooking?

I often see cooking shows where people are wearing rings while kneading
dough or tossing things like potatoes or other vegetables with oil before
putting them on a baking sheet. I have to wonder, doesn't that muck them
up? I always take my jewelry off before I cook. I also frequently wash
my hands so hey, I don't want to accidentally wash a ring down the drain.
Don't set them on the window sill above the sink!

What say you?

Depends on the ring and what I'm cooking. If it has no stone or the rose
gold one that is flat with no prongs then I'll likely keep them on when
using my hands in dough. Most often I don't have rings on to begin with. I
generally only wear them while out and take them off when I get home.

Many years ago I got cookie dough embedded in the prongs of a birthstone
ring. I learned not to rings like that with dough.

Never gave a thought to losing a ring. I did lose my wedding ring a few
times. It was always found in the bottom of my purse. But right now my hands
tend to swell more than anything so a ring is more likely to get stuck then
fall off.

Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

I don't care much about jewelry, but HATE the long-haired female cooks not wearing
hairnets, or putting their hair up. Bleaghhhhh!

N.
Old Yesterday, 03:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-07-13 10:32 PM, jmcquown wrote:
On 7/13/2018 8:08 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

I have a simple wedding band that I stopped wearing years ago because
I worked around equipment. It is somewhere in my underwear drawer....
last time I saw it.** I* do not wear any jewelry, just a watch.

Do you take your watch off when making, for example, pie crust?* In some
circles, a watch could be considered jewelry.

I do wear a watch. I do not consider it jewelry. I don't usually get my
hands that far into my cooking, but if I do get involved with something
that gets my wrist into the food the watch comes off before I do.

Old Yesterday, 03:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-07-13 10:47 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Fri 13 Jul 2018 03:58:55p, jmcquown told us...

iI rarely take my rings off, as I use surgical gloves when handling
foods that are messy like breading, kneading, or raw meat. I don't
need to take them off when halding fruits or vegetables and my rings
are snug enough to not slip off by themselves.

I guess it's safe to assume that you have never separated eggs by
draining them though your fingers. I don't have a problem with touching
raw meat. I wash my hands before and after. The only time I wear gloves
is when I am working with a lot of hot peppers or things with powerful
dyes, like Tandoori Masala.