Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Here's a Question

On Wednesday, July 25, 2018 at 8:40:36 AM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> I saw a couple of those shows where one spouse would say something
> like 'I hate that wallpaper' or the paint in this room is hideous.
> That was the end of me watching shows like that because they made me
> want to hit someone.
> Janet US

The shows are made like that so viewers feel smart and superior - maybe even mad. However, you're not supposed to stop watching! Please refrain from stop watching at once!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>On Wednesday, July 25, 2018 at 11:04:55 AM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:

>> > Even if we have guests, they are not going in the bedroom.* Making the
>> > bed is a waste of energy.

>> Totally! I pull up and smooth out the sheet and the blanket but the
>> bedspread stays folded at the end of the bed. Visitors don't have any
>> reason to go into my bedroom.
>>
>> Jill

>My bed remains UNmade all the time. Never know when I may want to lay down to take a siesta and play with my genitals, my fave parts! :-)
>
>Have we had enough of bedroom activities now?

Our bed is made every morning, otherwise the cats would be ****ed.
Only takes two minutes to make up the bed. I'm usually the one who
makes the bed... we never thought of making the bed as any big deal.
No one ever sees it but us and the cats but it's nice to get into a
neat bed each night... I can't imagine getting into a hotel
bed that looks like someone was in it ten minutes ago.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/23/2018 4:05 PM, Gary wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:
>>
>> Do you know WHY there's a CAPS LOCK key on keyboards? I do. Computer Engineering SECRET!! ;-)

> Take your meds, John.

Next he'll be claiming he *invented* the keyboard.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/25/2018 7:15 PM, jmcquown wrote:

>> Â*Â*wonder how many of those things are the buyers or if it the
>> producers telling them what to say.

> I have to wonder if they truly only have three properties to choose
> from.Â* Are they contractually obligated to buy something?Â* I think I've
> only seen one or two shows over the years where they actually said no
> thanks, they want to keep looking.
>
> Jill

Its TV, a sham. They already bought the house before the show is taped.
They come up with two other houses to use for comparison.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Alex wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:

>>> Totally! I pull up and smooth out the sheet and the blanket but the
>>> bedspread stays folded at the end of the bed. Visitors don't have any
>>> reason to go into my bedroom.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> My bed remains UNmade all the time. Never know when I may want to lay
>> down to take a siesta and play with my genitals, my fave parts! :-)
>>
>> Have we had enough of bedroom activities now?
>>
>> John Kuthe...

> Put that in your Craigslist ad.

He won't have to. Anyone that comes to look at the rooms will pick up on
the creepy Kunthe factor right away.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, July 25, 2018 at 7:19:56 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:
> Alex wrote:
> > John Kuthe wrote:

> >> My bed remains UNmade all the time. Never know when I may want to lay
> >> down to take a siesta and play with my genitals, my fave parts! :-)
> >>
> >> Have we had enough of bedroom activities now?
> >>
> >> John Kuthe...

> > Put that in your Craigslist ad.
> >

> He won't have to. Anyone that comes to look at the rooms will pick up on
> the creepy Kunthe factor right away.

ROFL!!! Is that why we are getting a new housemate? Hoping for two.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, July 25, 2018 at 6:15:51 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:

> I have to wonder if they truly only have three properties to choose
> from. Are they contractually obligated to buy something? I think I've
> only seen one or two shows over the years where they actually said no
> thanks, they want to keep looking.
>
> Jill

If I remember correctly they must be actively looking at several properties
but have narrowed it down to the three that are in each episode. I had
also read one woman's account of being on the show and they were encouraged
to be picky. She said they were not picky at what they wanted them to be
about on that particular airing. So yeah, a lot of it is coached to be annoying at times.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, July 25, 2018 at 9:43:12 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 25, 2018 at 6:15:51 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
> >
> > I have to wonder if they truly only have three properties to choose
> > from. Are they contractually obligated to buy something? I think I've
> > only seen one or two shows over the years where they actually said no
> > thanks, they want to keep looking.
> >
> > Jill
> >

> If I remember correctly they must be actively looking at several properties
> but have narrowed it down to the three that are in each episode. I had
> also read one woman's account of being on the show and they were encouraged
> to be picky. She said they were not picky at what they wanted them to be
> about on that particular airing. So yeah, a lot of it is coached to be annoying at times.

I figure anybody who would want to be on one of those shows is an idiot.
We occasionally watch Buying Alaska (and more rarely Buying Hawaii), and
the evidence suggests that I am correct.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 26 Jul 2018 00:48:15 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Wed 25 Jul 2018 03:59:53a, told us...
>

>The Dyson ball vbacuum can be really taxing. I can't use it due to
>my back problems. I know it tires David out when he runs it through
>the entire co-op. I' not sure what we'll do when it's no longer
>feasible. We've never tried a Dson stick vacuum, but other stick
>vacuums were very disappointing. Our Roomba does such a good job
>that we may just go with that alone.

Before the Dyson stick I tried a Shark and some other make, rubbishy.
I use the stick daily for fur and odd grains of litter and it works
very well and does a great job. I think it is the old thing of you
get what you pay for.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 26 Jul 2018 00:52:18 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Wed 25 Jul 2018 05:26:24a, told us...
>
>> On Wed, 25 Jul 2018 03:03:55 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>On Tue 24 Jul 2018 06:51:09p, Ed Pawlowski told us...

>>>Ys, it will. It has a camera and sensors and initially maps the
>>>entire premises. You can restrict it's movements if you wish. If
>>>it can't finish the entire at once (it's senses it's available
>>>battery power), it will return to its charging statioin. Whenit's
>>>fully recharged, it will return to where it left off.

>> Been looking around and ebay seems to be best buy - does it work
>> with an Android phone? It didn't specify and I won't buy apple
>> stuff so that may be me out.

>Yes, we have an LG Android phone and it connects via wifi and
>bluetooth. Very easy to download the app and configure it.

Great, thanks for the info.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 26 Jul 2018 03:27:59 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, July 25, 2018 at 9:43:12 PM UTC-4, wrote:
>> On Wednesday, July 25, 2018 at 6:15:51 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
>> >
>> > I have to wonder if they truly only have three properties to choose
>> > from. Are they contractually obligated to buy something? I think I've
>> > only seen one or two shows over the years where they actually said no
>> > thanks, they want to keep looking.
>> >
>> > Jill
>> >

>> If I remember correctly they must be actively looking at several properties
>> but have narrowed it down to the three that are in each episode. I had
>> also read one woman's account of being on the show and they were encouraged
>> to be picky. She said they were not picky at what they wanted them to be
>> about on that particular airing. So yeah, a lot of it is coached to be annoying at times.

>I figure anybody who would want to be on one of those shows is an idiot.
>We occasionally watch Buying Alaska (and more rarely Buying Hawaii), and
>the evidence suggests that I am correct.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

I do have one degree of separation for two types of these shows, one
of restaurant make-over and one of the house hunter type. In each,
time frames are unreal, results semi-scripted, houses already chosen
before viewing, viewed house not actually on the market, etc.

And when couples are involved as they usually are in the house hunting
adventures, discord is very deliberately encouraged. I think the
stupidity is natural, though.

And of course there are a gazillion variations on these shows, so some
may be more or less legit than other. I think at least a few of the
cooking/baking ones may have a bit more "reality" to them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 7/24/2018 9:32 PM, Nellie wrote:
> > On Tuesday, July 24, 2018 at 4:32:19 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
> > > I learned in my years of living in Memphis, even a slight
> > > earthquake, whatever is on the wall at the head of the bed might
> > > fall off the wall and hurt you when you're sleeping. So, hang
> > > nothing on the wall above the bed. Ditto for tornadoes. Less
> > > stuff to be flying around.
> > >
> > > The same thing holds true for hurricanes down here. Don't hang
> > > things on the wall above your bed. That is not the way to
> > > decorate in certain climates.

> > OMG yes!! I ALWAYS plan my bedroom decorating with natural disaster
> > recovery in mind!
> >
> > ;-)
> >
> > Never know when a meteor might go all meteorITE on ya and decide to
> > pay you a 3AM visit!
> >
> > John Kuthe...
> >
> > Talk to people in the San Francisci Bay Area. You'll find not many
> > will hang anything heavy over their beds. It's been drilled into us.
> >
> > Nellie
> >

> You tell him, Nellie! I lived on the New Madrid fault for decades.
> The New Madrid is the second only to the San Andreas. It's not
> nearly as active but I researched information about earthquake
> preparedness after the one in 1976 nearly knocked me off my feet and
> a bedside lamp fell to the floor and broke.
>
> It makes good sense, don't hang heavy stuff on the wall above your
> bed if you live on a fault line. Also, things like tall bookcases
> should be anchored to the wall so they don't topple over.
>
> John Kuthe seems to think it's paranoia. It's called being prepared.
> He doesn't "decorate" his rental rooms anyway. And I'm pretty sure
> he's never been through even a mild earthquake.
>
> Jill

John doesnt live in a area where that type of disaster is expected.
He's more apt to be worried about heavy snow and icing
sidewalks/porches.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Jul 2018 22:00:12 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
> > On 2018-07-24 9:47 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> >> On 7/24/2018 7:01 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> >> We used to cross the Delaware River from Philly to New Jersey

> about 10 >> miles.* To my grandmother's it was a bus, train, trolley
> car.* Today our >> parents would be locked up for letting us go.
> >
> > I was about 8 and my younger brother was 5 when my mother dropped
> > us off at the western terminus of the street car route with
> > directions and instructions to get to my grandparents house in East
> > York, about 20 miles and an hour and a half by street car and bus.

> That was the point the study came up with - the helicoptered kids now
> arrive in their teens unable to make crucial decisions because they
> have never made any.
>
> There is a woman who plays at our club who retired early from
> Dalhousie University where she was a student counselor. She said all
> her working life she had enjoyed her work up until the last few years
> when the helicopter kids started arriving. She liked working with the
> students, not their parents, so she retired early.
>
> When my middle grandson complained about the school bus ride I
> explained how I got to school in HK, from Aberdeen side of the The
> Peak, all the way to Kowloon out by the airport he was most impressed
> when he actually travelled to HK and figured my journey out He
> sent me a card saying that yes, you win, worse than the school bus for
> softies.

Thats quite trek as I see it. Ferry run involved if my directions are
right?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

> > > It is..very pretty.
> > >
> > > Cheri

> > Thank you. I think so. Still, I never had a problem with
> > propping up pillows if I wanted to sit up in bed when I didn't
> > have a headboard.
> >
> > Jill

> Honestly, I have never had a bed with no headboard but I wouldn't
> think it would be a problem.
>
> Cheri

My daughter's bed is a 'day bed' as I think they are called. Foot,
side and head rails. With added pillows, will double as a sofa sort of
thing in a 1 room apartment.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Jul 2018 19:09:37 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

wrote:

>> On Tue, 24 Jul 2018 22:00:12 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>> about 10 >> miles.* To my grandmother's it was a bus, train, trolley
>> car.* Today our >> parents would be locked up for letting us go.
>> >
>> > I was about 8 and my younger brother was 5 when my mother dropped
>> > us off at the western terminus of the street car route with
>> > directions and instructions to get to my grandparents house in East
>> > York, about 20 miles and an hour and a half by street car and bus.

>> That was the point the study came up with - the helicoptered kids now
>> arrive in their teens unable to make crucial decisions because they
>> have never made any.
>>
>> There is a woman who plays at our club who retired early from
>> Dalhousie University where she was a student counselor. She said all
>> her working life she had enjoyed her work up until the last few years
>> when the helicopter kids started arriving. She liked working with the
>> students, not their parents, so she retired early.
>>
>> When my middle grandson complained about the school bus ride I
>> explained how I got to school in HK, from Aberdeen side of the The
>> Peak, all the way to Kowloon out by the airport he was most impressed
>> when he actually travelled to HK and figured my journey out He
>> sent me a card saying that yes, you win, worse than the school bus for
>> softies.

>Thats quite trek as I see it. Ferry run involved if my directions are
>right?

Half hour walk to Peak Tram, down to Garden Road, 15 minute walk to
Star Ferry. Bus in Kowloon out to bottom of the hill on which
Central British School stood, walk up steep hill. On the way home I
could choose to stop at my fathers office downtown, there I would wait
quietly in a spare room and do my homework in order to have a drive
home with him. I was far from being the only kid doing such a trek to
school.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> >> On Tue, 24 Jul 2018 22:00:12 -0400, Dave Smith

> >> about 10 >> miles.* To my grandmother's it was a bus, train,

> trolley >> car.* Today our >> parents would be locked up for letting
> us go. >> >

> East >> > York, about 20 miles and an hour and a half by street car
> and bus. >>
> >> That was the point the study came up with - the helicoptered kids

> now >> arrive in their teens unable to make crucial decisions because
> they >> have never made any.
> >>
> >> There is a woman who plays at our club who retired early from
> >> Dalhousie University where she was a student counselor. She said

> all >> her working life she had enjoyed her work up until the last
> few years >> when the helicopter kids started arriving. She liked
> working with the >> students, not their parents, so she retired early.
> >>
> >> When my middle grandson complained about the school bus ride I
> >> explained how I got to school in HK, from Aberdeen side of the The
> >> Peak, all the way to Kowloon out by the airport he was most

> impressed >> when he actually travelled to HK and figured my journey
> out He >> sent me a card saying that yes, you win, worse than the
> school bus for >> softies.
> >
> > Thats quite trek as I see it. Ferry run involved if my directions
> > are right?

> Half hour walk to Peak Tram, down to Garden Road, 15 minute walk to
> Star Ferry. Bus in Kowloon out to bottom of the hill on which
> Central British School stood, walk up steep hill. On the way home I
> could choose to stop at my fathers office downtown, there I would wait
> quietly in a spare room and do my homework in order to have a drive
> home with him. I was far from being the only kid doing such a trek to
> school.

Star Ferry yes.

They now have an underground route to hop the harbor. I forget the
name of it.