Old 11-07-2018, 04:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Help ! Canning problems

¬* We processed another batch of pickles today , and 3 jars broke in the
steam processor . First batch we lost one . These are not-new wide mouth
jars , and they're breaking near the bottom . They're not overfilled ,
contents just up to the¬* line below the threads . We've never had a
bottle break before and wonder if these have defects or just what the
problem might be .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old 11-07-2018, 04:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-07-11 11:37 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
¬* We processed another batch of pickles today , and 3 jars broke in the
steam processor . First batch we lost one . These are not-new wide mouth
jars , and they're breaking near the bottom . They're not overfilled ,
contents just up to the¬* line below the threads . We've never had a
bottle break before and wonder if these have defects or just what the
problem might be .

Jars breaking during canning is usually the result of hot liquid into
cold jars or cold liquid into hot jars.

Old 11-07-2018, 04:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Coombs wrote:

¬ We processed another batch of pickles today , and 3 jars broke in the
steam processor . First batch we lost one . These are not-new wide mouth
jars , and they're breaking near the bottom . They're not overfilled ,
contents just up to the¬ line below the threads . We've never had a
bottle break before and wonder if these have defects or just what the
problem might be .

My only thought would be heating up jars too quickly?

Fill with hot tap water first and allow to warm, then empty and
fill with pickles, then slowly turn up the heat. If you are
steaming them in a pressure cooker, wait until hot before putting
on the lid to heat more. With all glass, even Pyrex, slow heating
is the key.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

With all glass, even Pyrex, slow heating
is the key.

Slow cooling too when dealing with glass.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/11/2018 11:05 AM, Gary wrote:
Gary wrote:
With all glass, even Pyrex, slow heating
is the key.

Slow cooling too when dealing with glass.

¬* We're following the same procedure we always use , and never had a
problem . This is the first time using these jars though we've had them
for years . I'm wondering if they've been scratched or chipped maybe . I
didn't inspect the jars myself so I don't know . They are Kerr branded ,
don't know for sure where we got them or when but they've been around
for years unused .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old 11-07-2018, 06:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

I read some people used to can in metal cans, not at home but at some farm co op place.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 10:37:24 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

* We processed another batch of pickles today , and 3 jars broke in the
steam processor . First batch we lost one . These are not-new wide mouth
jars , and they're breaking near the bottom . They're not overfilled ,
contents just up to the* line below the threads . We've never had a
bottle break before and wonder if these have defects or just what the
problem might be .

If you have a dish washer, run the jars through the extra hot cycle
and hold the jars in the dishwasher. I assume you are filling the
jars and then pouring hot brine into the jar. Take the hot jars from
the d.w., fill and pour in the hot liquid, seal and place in the
boiling water bath. (water in processor should already be ready to
boil) Adjust the circumstances if you are using a pressure cooker.
Hot jars, hot liquid, seal and into hot processing unit.
Janet US
Old 11-07-2018, 07:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

* We processed another batch of pickles today , and 3 jars broke in the
steam processor . First batch we lost one . These are not-new wide mouth
jars , and they're breaking near the bottom . They're not overfilled ,
contents just up to the* line below the threads . We've never had a
bottle break before and wonder if these have defects or just what the
problem might be .

You have pickling cukes, why are you cooking them?
Old 11-07-2018, 09:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Coombs wrote:
¬* We processed another batch of pickles today , and 3 jars broke in the
steam processor . First batch we lost one . These are not-new wide mouth
jars , and they're breaking near the bottom . They're not overfilled ,
contents just up to the¬* line below the threads . We've never had a
bottle break before and wonder if these have defects or just what the
problem might be .

i'm not sure what a steam processor might be, but
we've never had problems with any of our jars
breaking and i go from room temperature to pouring
boiling brines in over the cucumbers and beans and
no breaks. i used to pre-heat them by filling with
hot water and letting them sit for a minute or two.
i think the key is to not go from freezing to
boiling all at once.

we oven can, only a few have broken during that
stage, a missed crack in the jar i'm sure since
we've done many thousands of pints/quarts over
the years.

do you have a spacer or screen or something in
the bottom to keep the heat from going directly
from the pan to the jars?

maybe post a note to the preserving newsgroup...
a few people still read there.

songbird
Old 11-07-2018, 10:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Coombs wrote:
¬* We're following the same procedure we always use , and never had a
problem . This is the first time using these jars though we've had them
for years . I'm wondering if they've been scratched or chipped maybe . I
didn't inspect the jars myself so I don't know . They are Kerr branded ,
don't know for sure where we got them or when but they've been around
for years unused .

bad batches of products do happen...

songbird

Old 11-07-2018, 10:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 17:02:03 -0400, songbird

You have pickling cukes, why are you cooking them?

i'm assuming a quick process to seal the jars.

with high acid products you can just warm up the
lids and use hot contents and that is often enough
to seal. which avoids a lot of time spent processing,
energy etc.

Fermented are no work at all and produce a far better product.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-07-11 5:00 PM, songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
¬* We're following the same procedure we always use , and never had a
problem . This is the first time using these jars though we've had them
for years . I'm wondering if they've been scratched or chipped maybe . I
didn't inspect the jars myself so I don't know . They are Kerr branded ,
don't know for sure where we got them or when but they've been around
for years unused .

bad batches of products do happen...

That's true, but when canning with jars the temperature changes are the
most likely cause of glass breaking.

Old 11-07-2018, 11:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 17:33:28 -0400, Dave Smith

On 2018-07-11 5:00 PM, songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
* We're following the same procedure we always use , and never had a
problem . This is the first time using these jars though we've had them
for years . I'm wondering if they've been scratched or chipped maybe . I
didn't inspect the jars myself so I don't know . They are Kerr branded ,
don't know for sure where we got them or when but they've been around
for years unused .

bad batches of products do happen...

That's true, but when canning with jars the temperature changes are the
most likely cause of glass breaking.

With fermented I have no temperture issues and fermented are far FAR
better than cooked. I think cooking cukes ruins them.

Fix PC Problems ahaa General Cooking 5 03-10-2007 05:25 PM
problems with soy?? help please peter Vegan 1 07-06-2007 07:10 AM
Pie Problems texpat General Cooking 9 18-11-2006 02:56 AM
"I have no problems with... " Troublemaker Vegan 1 08-11-2003 05:17 PM
"I have no problems with a..." TofuBoy Barbecue 8 06-11-2003 06:26 PM