Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Starbucks to eliminate plastic straws

On 2018-07-17 3:44 AM, Gary wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> I don't think I've ever been stung by a bee.. or if I did, I didn't know
>> it)

> I'm pretty sure you would know it.

Not necessarily. I don't think that I have been stung by a bee, but I
could have been. I know for sure that I have been stung by wasps and
hornets many times. I remember some of those incidents very clearly,
but I have no recollection of any of those many stings being from a bee.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Jul 2018 09:20:27 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2018-07-17 3:44 AM, Gary wrote:
>> Ophelia wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't think I've ever been stung by a bee.. or if I did, I didn't know
>>> it)

>> I'm pretty sure you would know it.
>>

>Not necessarily. I don't think that I have been stung by a bee, but I
>could have been. I know for sure that I have been stung by wasps and
>hornets many times. I remember some of those incidents very clearly,
>but I have no recollection of any of those many stings being from a bee.

Insects And Me, a many chaptered novel by Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-07-17 12:09 PM, Druce wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jul 2018 09:20:27 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>>> I'm pretty sure you would know it.
>>>

>> Not necessarily. I don't think that I have been stung by a bee, but I
>> could have been. I know for sure that I have been stung by wasps and
>> hornets many times. I remember some of those incidents very clearly,
>> but I have no recollection of any of those many stings being from a bee.

> Insects And Me, a many chaptered novel by Dave Smith.

There are no flies on him!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Jul 2018 12:25:12 -0600, graham > wrote:

>On 2018-07-17 12:09 PM, Druce wrote:
>> On Tue, 17 Jul 2018 09:20:27 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> Not necessarily. I don't think that I have been stung by a bee, but I
>>> could have been. I know for sure that I have been stung by wasps and
>>> hornets many times. I remember some of those incidents very clearly,
>>> but I have no recollection of any of those many stings being from a bee.

>> Insects And Me, a many chaptered novel by Dave Smith.
>>

>There are no flies on him!

If you say so!

<quote>
there are no flies on me
in British
informal
I am no fool
</quote>
<https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/there-are-no-flies-on-him>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Jul 2018 09:05:53 -0400, Dave Smith wrote:

>On 2018-07-16 1:04 AM, Lesmond wrote:

>>> I can imagine. I got stung in the mouth last fall and am now supposed to
>>> carry an epi pen. That wasp got me three times, twice on the tongue and
>>> one on the inside of my lip. It swelled up quite a bit. The big
>>> surprise to me was that it didn't hurt much.

>> I can't imagine it not hurting.

>I felt it stinging and expected it to be very very painful, especially
>since it got me in three places on the tongue and inner lip. I was not
>far from the hospital and was treated within minutes of arrival. The
>treatment was very effective. The swelling started to go down. After
>that is was more like the tail end of dental freezing.
>
>I can tell you that when you are biting on a hornet it has the texture
>of the topping of a creme brulle.

Auuuuuuggggghhhhh! <thud>

--
Do not spray into eyes
I have sprayed you into my eyes

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Jul 2018 18:55:08 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>On Mon 16 Jul 2018 06:05:53a, Dave Smith told us...

>>> I can't imagine it not hurting.

>> I felt it stinging and expected it to be very very painful,
>> especially since it got me in three places on the tongue and inner
>> lip. I was not far from the hospital and was treated within
>> minutes of arrival. The treatment was very effective. The
>> swelling started to go down. After that is was more like the tail
>> end of dental freezing.
>>
>> I can tell you that when you are biting on a hornet it has the
>> texture of the topping of a creme brulle.
>>

>When I was eating a pear in my uncle's orchard, a yellow jacket
>landed on the pear and then went up one of my nostrils where it stung
>me. That was 69 years ago, so I don't remember if I was more scared
>or more in pain. However, my dad had an uncle in a nearby country
>town who was doctor. He made a paste of sodium bicarbonate and
>water, and after removing the yellow jacket he pack my nostril with
>the paste and let it stay in there for for 20-30 minutes. That
>seemed to calm the stinging.

I may have to stop reading soon.