Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default U.S. government does it again

On Sat, 14 Jul 2018 18:41:13 -0500, Hank Rogers >

>> On Sat, 14 Jul 2018 14:27:07 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
>> wrote:

>>> of the millions of people on this globe with a religious faith of some
>>> sort, most don't try to force that belief on anyone else.

>> No, the few just make it mighty difficult for the many.
>>

>There are more than a few! If you ever visit the buybull belt, you'll be
>proselytized constantly.

My ignorance is showing, what's the buybull belt?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Jul 2018 18:43:32 -0600, graham > wrote:

>On 2018-07-14 6:02 PM, Druce wrote:
>> On Sat, 14 Jul 2018 18:38:20 -0500, Hank Rogers >
>> wrote:

>>> I see you have never met a Jehovah's "witness" or a mormon "missionary".
>>>
>>> Some day, they will be knocking on your door, offering salvation.

>> I had Jehova's Witnesses at the door the other day. I had to tell them
>> twice that I wasn't interested, but other than that they were friendly
>> and not annoying. I feel kinda sorry for them that their religion
>> forces them to go door knocking. Some people will be downright nasty
>> to them.
>>

>I just tell them that I'm not superstitious.

They have mostly given up here as residential areas are empty these
days with both parents working. However I did receive a letter from
them once, I knew someone had come to the building and read our names
on the list because for security reasons the names on the list and the
numbers to dial are not the unit numbers, for security reasons. The
mailman mostly knows who we are by name and I received mine anyway.

I was mad as hell and took a big red chip felt pen and wrote across
the envelope Return to Sender + Don't you know? There is no god!!!
and put it in the mailbox to go.

A few days later I was there when the mailman was putting stuff in the
boxes and he started laughing and told me I gave the sorting office
the best laugh they had in years
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Jul 2018 18:43:32 -0600, graham > wrote:

>On 2018-07-14 6:02 PM, Druce wrote:
>> On Sat, 14 Jul 2018 18:38:20 -0500, Hank Rogers >
>> wrote:

>>> I see you have never met a Jehovah's "witness" or a mormon "missionary".
>>>
>>> Some day, they will be knocking on your door, offering salvation.

>> I had Jehova's Witnesses at the door the other day. I had to tell them
>> twice that I wasn't interested, but other than that they were friendly
>> and not annoying. I feel kinda sorry for them that their religion
>> forces them to go door knocking. Some people will be downright nasty
>> to them.
>>

>I just tell them that I'm not superstitious.

Sure, but you can tell them that in a friendly way or with a shotgun
behind your back.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>>I see you have never met a Jehovah's "witness" or a mormon "missionary".
>>>
>>>Some day, they will be knocking on your door, offering salvation.

>>I had Jehova's Witnesses at the door the other day. I had to tell them
>>twice that I wasn't interested, but other than that they were friendly
>>and not annoying. I feel kinda sorry for them that their religion
>>forces them to go door knocking. Some people will be downright nasty
>>to them.

>I heartily resent anyone knocking on my door regarding anything!
>Unfortunately, by law, the condo building cannot stop politicians from
>gaining access and knocking on individual doors. However, of whatever
>stripe they do know I object when they knock at my door

the people you mention leave immediately when told that I am not
interested. The folks trying to get me to switch to another cable
company however do not. And they come again and again and again. They
cruise the streets in cars and hop out en masse to hammer a
neighborhood. Now, that gets me mad.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> I see you have never met a Jehovah's "witness" or a mormon "missionary".
>>>
>>> Some day, they will be knocking on your door, offering salvation.

>> I had Jehova's Witnesses at the door the other day. I had to tell them
>> twice that I wasn't interested, but other than that they were friendly
>> and not annoying. I feel kinda sorry for them that their religion
>> forces them to go door knocking. Some people will be downright nasty
>> to them.

> I heartily resent anyone knocking on my door regarding anything!
> Unfortunately, by law, the condo building cannot stop politicians from
> gaining access and knocking on individual doors. However, of whatever
> stripe they do know I object when they knock at my door

This is a prime example of why a gated community is a good thing!

No one is allowed in without a pass. Not politicians, religious
missionary types or people trying to sell anytyhing. The only people
who knock on my door are my friends and they usually call first and vice
versa.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Jul 2018 16:23:47 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Saturday, July 14, 2018 at 1:42:49 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> I'm an atheist. It's all I can consider. Every bad thing that people do
>> to each other is just people being people. We didn't come to be the
>> dominant life form on the planet by sitting around sharing hugs and kisses.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

>I'm not interested in the religious beliefs of the posters on this newsgroup.
>That's just being nosy. I'm interested in the bigger picture from a cultural, anthropological, sociological, and neurological point of view. How did religion come about? Is religion/belief in the supernatural, a universal human trait? Are our brains hardwired for this state of being? Is it possible for humans to live like animals, in a state that has no past or future? Can morality exist in a Godless universe? The last question is a philosophical one so scratch that out.

You are really quite the shallow thinker if you are even capable of
thought. Most animals especially mammals remember their past, haven't
you ever heard that an elephant never forgets, well that's true. Many
animals remember, but by different stimuli; scent, sight, sound, which
is more acurate. actually by those parameters they remember better
than humans. And of course animals are concerned with their
future/survival. they construct homes, they horde food, and they
reproduce. I hope you haven't reproduced, one like you is one too
many. You are proving to be a very low IQer. I'm certain were you
blindfolded and placed in the center of your rock and spun around
three times and had the blindfold removed you'd not find your way
home... you'd demonstrate less IQ than a mongrel dog who only has to
follow its nose.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, July 14, 2018 at 4:15:13 PM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:

> You are really quite the shallow thinker if you are even capable of
> thought. Most animals especially mammals remember their past, haven't
> you ever heard that an elephant never forgets, well that's true. Many
> animals remember, but by different stimuli; scent, sight, sound, which
> is more acurate. actually by those parameters they remember better
> than humans. And of course animals are concerned with their
> future/survival. they construct homes, they horde food, and they
> reproduce. I hope you haven't reproduced, one like you is one too
> many. You are proving to be a very low IQer. I'm certain were you
> blindfolded and placed in the center of your rock and spun around
> three times and had the blindfold removed you'd not find your way
> home... you'd demonstrate less IQ than a mongrel dog who only has to
> follow its nose.

Yoose seem fixated on my IQ. My recommendation is that you discuss this with your mental health professional at your earliest convenience.

Animals don't remember the past. They react to stimuli. They are incapable of living in the past - an ability that you excel in. You might want to discuss that you your psychiatrist. Poor guy!

Here's some cats reacting to stimuli.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXv44YL_Gio
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/14/2018 8:02 PM, Druce wrote:

>> I see you have never met a Jehovah's "witness" or a mormon "missionary".
>>
>> Some day, they will be knocking on your door, offering salvation.

> I had Jehova's Witnesses at the door the other day. I had to tell them
> twice that I wasn't interested, but other than that they were friendly
> and not annoying. I feel kinda sorry for them that their religion
> forces them to go door knocking. Some people will be downright nasty
> to them.

Never see them but they have left literature. My doorbell has not
worked for 30 years. If you come to the front door you are not a friend
of mine. They know to come to the side.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-07-14 8:43 PM, graham wrote:
> On 2018-07-14 6:02 PM, Druce wrote:

>> I had Jehova's Witnesses at the door the other day. I had to tell them
>> twice that I wasn't interested, but other than that they were friendly
>> and not annoying. I feel kinda sorry for them that their religion
>> forces them to go door knocking. Some people will be downright nasty
>> to them.
>>

> I just tell them that I'm not superstitious.

I haven't had them come around here for years not since I sent them a
letter telling them to stay away or they would be charged with
trespassing. They called a few years to ask if they could come and were
told no, and that was the last I heard from them. I see them regularly
at the corner coffee shop. Apparently they like to gather in the most
expensive coffee shop around after a tough morning of saving souls.

I was in there one day when the God Squad was in for their post
proselytizing coffee, and since they were all ordering specialty coffee
drinks I was in line for a long time. The guy ahead of me was one of
them. When it was his turn to order he was like a deer in the headlights
and asked what they had to eat. All that time he had been standing
right in front of the display case with all the muffin and squares, and
the menu board was on the wall and he had to ask? And this guy thinks
he can lead the rest of us to salvation??
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, graham >
wrote:

> On 2018-07-13 10:17 AM, Gary wrote:

> > IMO, the stupid people are those that don't keep an open mind
> > about whether there is a God or not. No one knows for sure (until
> > you die). Main thing is avoid either extreme.
> >

> The trouble is that if you keep an open mind, there is a very real
> danger that your brains will fall out!!

IMO, when someone tells me to "keep an open mind", they're going to
tell me something that they hope I might believe or feel ignorant for
rejecting. Keep an open mind nearly always means "think like me".

leo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Cindy Hamilton > wrote:

> I keep hoping the species will outgrow the desire to believe in
> Santa Claus (rewarding good behavior, punishing bad behavior),
> but it's an uphill slog.

What is the alternative? I can't think of a different philosophy that
doesn't embrace anarchy. Anarchy won't work, because you and I won't
like or survive it. I'm not religious, but there is good and there is
evil.
So we will outgrow what? We will believe in what?

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
dsi1 > wrote:

> People think that religion is the cause of all our problems but if you want
> something truly terrifying, consider a Godless universe. I wonder if you can...

In the Twentieth Century, Mao and Stalin won big in killing people.
Hitler was a piker. Mao and Stalin demanded that their governance be
the god of the people. I know people who wholly believe in government.
They just don't realize that they believe in some sort of god. Nearly
everybody needs something to believe in. I believe in the morality and
principles that my parents instilled in me. Perhaps they were my gods.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
dsi1 > wrote:

> I'm not interested in the religious beliefs of the posters on this newsgroup.
> That's just being nosy. I'm interested in the bigger picture from a cultural,
> anthropological, sociological, and neurological point of view.

> How did religion come about?

Wonder about the world we lived in. It was the same for philosophy and
science.

> Is religion/belief in the supernatural, a universal human trait?

Yes. Anti religion/belief are their own religions.

> Are our brains hardwired for this state of being?

No. But it depends on the brain. Most are soft wired by culture and
experience. Psychopaths lead a freer existence until...

> Is it possible for humans to live like animals, in a state that has no past or future?

No. Not since the first humans wondered about themselves.

> Can morality exist in a Godless universe?

No. Morality is God. A lack of it would regress us to Chimpanzees.

Was this a test?

leo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Jul 2018 22:11:24 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell
> wrote:

>In article >,
>dsi1 > wrote:
>
>> Can morality exist in a Godless universe?

>No. Morality is God. A lack of it would regress us to Chimpanzees.

Atheists can have high moral standards. Religious people can be amoral
*******s.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, July 14, 2018 at 5:59:26 PM UTC-10, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> In the Twentieth Century, Mao and Stalin won big in killing people.
> Hitler was a piker. Mao and Stalin demanded that their governance be
> the god of the people. I know people who wholly believe in government.
> They just don't realize that they believe in some sort of god. Nearly
> everybody needs something to believe in. I believe in the morality and
> principles that my parents instilled in me. Perhaps they were my gods.
>
> leo

Hitler was small potatoes? I've never heard it put that way before but I can see your point.

In the end, we should all hope that our parents are solid and trustworthy needles on our moral compass. Perhaps that's even more important than God(s).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, July 14, 2018 at 7:11:30 PM UTC-10, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> In article >,
> dsi1 <> wrote:
>
> > I'm not interested in the religious beliefs of the posters on this newsgroup.
> > That's just being nosy. I'm interested in the bigger picture from a cultural,
> > anthropological, sociological, and neurological point of view.

> > How did religion come about?

> Wonder about the world we lived in. It was the same for philosophy and
> science.
>
> > Is religion/belief in the supernatural, a universal human trait?

> Yes. Anti religion/belief are their own religions.
>
> > Are our brains hardwired for this state of being?

> No. But it depends on the brain. Most are soft wired by culture and
> experience. Psychopaths lead a freer existence until...
>
> > Is it possible for humans to live like animals, in a state that has no past or future?

> No. Not since the first humans wondered about themselves.
>
> > Can morality exist in a Godless universe?

> No. Morality is God. A lack of it would regress us to Chimpanzees.
>
> Was this a test?
>
> leo

Well, looks like you got it all figured out. Congrats. OTOH, as we all know, pride goeth before the fall. Hee hee.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Saturday, July 14, 2018 at 4:15:13 PM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:

> You are really quite the shallow thinker if you are even capable of
> thought. Most animals especially mammals remember their past, haven't
> you ever heard that an elephant never forgets, well that's true. Many
> animals remember, but by different stimuli; scent, sight, sound, which
> is more acurate. actually by those parameters they remember better
> than humans. And of course animals are concerned with their
> future/survival. they construct homes, they horde food, and they
> reproduce. I hope you haven't reproduced, one like you is one too
> many. You are proving to be a very low IQer. I'm certain were you
> blindfolded and placed in the center of your rock and spun around
> three times and had the blindfold removed you'd not find your way
> home... you'd demonstrate less IQ than a mongrel dog who only has to
> follow its nose.

Yoose seem fixated on my IQ. My recommendation is that you discuss this with
your mental health professional at your earliest convenience.

Animals don't remember the past. They react to stimuli. They are incapable
of living in the past - an ability that you excel in. You might want to
discuss that you your psychiatrist. Poor guy!

Here's some cats reacting to stimuli.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXv44YL_Gio

==

Awwwwwwww

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Leonard Blaisdell" wrote in message

In article >,
dsi1 > wrote:

> I'm not interested in the religious beliefs of the posters on this
> newsgroup.
> That's just being nosy. I'm interested in the bigger picture from a
> cultural,
> anthropological, sociological, and neurological point of view.

> How did religion come about?

Wonder about the world we lived in. It was the same for philosophy and
science.

> Is religion/belief in the supernatural, a universal human trait?

Yes. Anti religion/belief are their own religions.

> Are our brains hardwired for this state of being?

No. But it depends on the brain. Most are soft wired by culture and
experience. Psychopaths lead a freer existence until...

> Is it possible for humans to live like animals, in a state that has no
> past or future?

No. Not since the first humans wondered about themselves.

> Can morality exist in a Godless universe?

No. Morality is God. A lack of it would regress us to Chimpanzees.

Was this a test?

leo

==

How nice to have a discussion without all the spitting!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>>I had Jehova's Witnesses at the door the other day. I had to tell them
>>>twice that I wasn't interested, but other than that they were friendly
>>>and not annoying. I feel kinda sorry for them that their religion
>>>forces them to go door knocking. Some people will be downright nasty
>>>to them.

>>I heartily resent anyone knocking on my door regarding anything!
>>Unfortunately, by law, the condo building cannot stop politicians from
>>gaining access and knocking on individual doors. However, of whatever
>>stripe they do know I object when they knock at my door

>the people you mention leave immediately when told that I am not
>interested. The folks trying to get me to switch to another cable
>company however do not. And they come again and again and again. They
>cruise the streets in cars and hop out en masse to hammer a
>neighborhood. Now, that gets me mad.

I don't have cable anymore but thankfully they can't get into the
building easily.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> I had Jehova's Witnesses at the door the other day. I had to tell them
>>> twice that I wasn't interested, but other than that they were friendly
>>> and not annoying. I feel kinda sorry for them that their religion
>>> forces them to go door knocking. Some people will be downright nasty
>>> to them.

>> I heartily resent anyone knocking on my door regarding anything!
>> Unfortunately, by law, the condo building cannot stop politicians from
>> gaining access and knocking on individual doors. However, of whatever
>> stripe they do know I object when they knock at my door
>>

>This is a prime example of why a gated community is a good thing!
>
>No one is allowed in without a pass. Not politicians, religious
>missionary types or people trying to sell anytyhing. The only people
>who knock on my door are my friends and they usually call first and vice
>versa.
>
>Jill

By Federal and Provincial law politicians must be given access so
being gaited would make no difference.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>>They have mostly given up here as residential areas are empty these
>>>days with both parents working. However I did receive a letter from
>>>them once, I knew someone had come to the building and read our names
>>>on the list because for security reasons the names on the list and the
>>>numbers to dial are not the unit numbers, for security reasons. The
>>>mailman mostly knows who we are by name and I received mine anyway.
>>>
>>>I was mad as hell and took a big red chip felt pen and wrote across
>>>the envelope Return to Sender + Don't you know? There is no god!!!
>>>and put it in the mailbox to go.
>>>
>>>A few days later I was there when the mailman was putting stuff in the
>>>boxes and he started laughing and told me I gave the sorting office
>>>the best laugh they had in years

>>You and Graham are very preachy about your atheist belief.

>I look at it the other way round, I do nothing until someone tries to
>push something in my face, THEN I strike back.

But, apart from dsi1, I never hear from religious people here that God
exists. But I hear all the time from you and Graham that he doesn't.
I'm agnostic. I don't understand people who are certain that they own
the truth.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On 2018-07-14 10:17 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> Failure to abide by some of their beliefs can get people into trouble
> >> sometimes. Sometimes those beliefs run counter to my beliefs. I find it
> >> had to accept that I should be expected to respect the belief some hold
> >> that their women must be covered head to toe and that should be beaten
> >> for failure to do so, and that they can be killed to protect the
> >> family's honour. Sorry, but I cant respect their right to hold religious
> >> beliefs like that any more than I should be able to hold beliefs like
> >> that privately.

> > Actually, those are cultural mores more than religious beliefs. The Koran
> > mandates modesty of dress and behavior for both men and women:

> True, but they use the religion to justify it.

Just as many "christian" and cultists have and still do abuse
"religion" and "the church" to justify, enable and cover up the
sustained male control and violent abuse including rape of woman and
children.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/21/w...wilson-priest-
abuse-guilty.html

https://edition.cnn.com/2017/12/20/w...dinal-bernard-
law-dead/index.html

https://www.secularism.org.uk/opinio...rphy-oconnors-
cover-up-of-child-abusers-must-be-a-lesson-to-the-catholic-church

Janet UK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On Saturday, July 14, 2018 at 11:16:53 AM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:

> > > Actually, those are cultural mores more than religious beliefs. The Koran
> > > mandates modesty of dress and behavior for both men and women:

> > True, but they use the religion to justify it.

> Religion has been used to justify a wide variety of bad behavior, right
> back to Moloch. It's the very fact that Christianity has, in the main,
> calmed down

You have to be joking. Christian church's child rape victims are
STILL seeking justice, proving that the very top rank of priests arch
bishops and cardinals have known and covered for their rapist colleague
perpetrators, for decades.

Janet UK

that we notice extremism in the practice of Islam.

You

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Druce wrote:

> I'm agnostic. I don't understand people who are certain that they own
> the truth.

I'm with you there, pal. No one knows except for dead people and
they aren't talking. I keep an open mind with all that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, July 14, 2018 at 11:29:42 PM UTC-4, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> In article >,
> Cindy Hamilton > wrote:
>
> > I keep hoping the species will outgrow the desire to believe in
> > Santa Claus (rewarding good behavior, punishing bad behavior),
> > but it's an uphill slog.

> What is the alternative? I can't think of a different philosophy that
> doesn't embrace anarchy. Anarchy won't work, because you and I won't
> like or survive it. I'm not religious, but there is good and there is
> evil.
> So we will outgrow what? We will believe in what?
>
> leo

Atheism. You don't need religion to know that humans are evil,
self-serving *******s and that government is needed to keep the
worst of them in line.

Yes, there is good and there is evil. Evil is when you treat people
as things.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Jul 2018 08:40:14 -0400, Gary > wrote:

wrote:

>> Druce wrote:
>> >You and Graham are very preachy about your atheist belief.

>True enough. To completely "NOT believe" could be considered a
>religion in itself. Neither they nor anyone else knows for sure.

Surely common sense would tell you that dead is dead. The only
certain thing when you are born and why one should think there is
anything more only speaks to dissatisfaction.

>One good thing any religion does is give hope to people that have
>a miserable life here on earth. At least they have the HOPE of a
>better deal after death as long as they behave themselves here.
>
>> I look at it the other way round, I do nothing until someone tries to
>> push something in my face, THEN I strike back.

>No need to strike back meanly though. They truly believe they are
>helping you.

I didn't ask for help, THAT is when I object.

>Just the other day, a JW approached me coming out of the grocery
>store holding up one of their weekly magazines. Before he said
>anything I said," I'll take that and read it, thank you for it."
>He thanked me and walked away.
>
>No need to be rude to these people. They are only doing what they
>are required to do and real or not real, they do truly believe
>they are just helping you.
>
>I don't argue religion with anyone and no one should. Neither
>will change and I don't want to change someone's belief to my
>belief. Might turn out someday (that final day) that they were
>right and I was wrong.

I might give it second thought if when Jimmy Bakker dies, he comes
back and advertises what he is doing in the after life - for we know
if he could, he would.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Jul 2018 08:40:44 -0400, Gary > wrote:

wrote:

>> U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> >the people you mention leave immediately when told that I am not
>> >interested. The folks trying to get me to switch to another cable
>> >company however do not. And they come again and again and again. They
>> >cruise the streets in cars and hop out en masse to hammer a
>> >neighborhood. Now, that gets me mad.

>> I don't have cable anymore but thankfully they can't get into the
>> building easily.

>My darn cable company, Cox Communications, constantly bombards me
>with snail mail at least twice a week trying to get me to upgrade
>all kinds of nonsense. And they always print some great price
>per month but only for a year or two. Never hear what it will
>cost after than, not even in the fine print that you use a
>magnifying glass to read.

I probably watch a little more tv since I cut the cable and now only
watch what I want, when I want.