Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Rainy Day Crock Pot Soup 7/7/2018

Spicy bean soup cooked in the crock pot. Not because I'm worried about
heating up the kitchen. Just because it's no fuss, no mess and very tasty!

https://s22.postimg.cc/g6rokxa3l/beansoup.jpg

I made cornsticks to go with this but didn't feel like taking pics of those.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, July 7, 2018 at 4:51:31 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:

> Spicy bean soup cooked in the crock pot. Not because I'm worried about
> heating up the kitchen. Just because it's no fuss, no mess and very tasty!
>
> https://s22.postimg.cc/g6rokxa3l/beansoup.jpg
>
> I made cornsticks to go with this but didn't feel like taking pics of those.
>
> Jill

I see barley!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/7/2018 7:46 PM, wrote:
> On Saturday, July 7, 2018 at 4:51:31 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
>>
>> Spicy bean soup cooked in the crock pot. Not because I'm worried about
>> heating up the kitchen. Just because it's no fuss, no mess and very tasty!

https://s22.postimg.cc/g6rokxa3l/beansoup.jpg

>> I made cornsticks to go with this but didn't feel like taking pics of those.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> I see barley!

Yes you do! I added quarter of a cup of pearled barley. It thickens
the soup quite nicely. I like the addition along with the beans and the
seasonings. Chili powder, cayenne, cumin, oregano and basil, garlic...

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Sat 07 Jul 2018 02:51:16p, jmcquown told us...
>
>> Spicy bean soup cooked in the crock pot. Not because I'm worried
>> about heating up the kitchen. Just because it's no fuss, no mess
>> and very tasty!
>>
>> https://s22.postimg.cc/g6rokxa3l/beansoup.jpg
>>
>> I made cornsticks to go with this but didn't feel like taking pics
>> of those.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Yummy!

Absolutely delicious bean soup. Not a great picture but definitely
tasty.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-07-07 10:38 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sat 07 Jul 2018 06:41:18p, jmcquown told us...
>

> We never had barley at home. When I was in my 20s I was invited to a
> friend's home for a raost beef dinner. They served a barley and
> mushroom pilaf madae with beef broth. I've been making it ever
> since. Good stuff!

When I was a kid the only barley we ever had was in Scotch Broth or Beef
and Barley soup. My wife used to make a barley pilaf with mushrooms and
beef broth and it was always delicious. Beats me why we haven't had it
in years.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Spicy bean soup cooked in the crock pot. Not because I'm worried about
> heating up the kitchen. Just because it's no fuss, no mess and very
> tasty!
>
> https://s22.postimg.cc/g6rokxa3l/beansoup.jpg
>
> I made cornsticks to go with this but didn't feel like taking pics of
> those.
>
> Jill

I made brown Spanish rice and added small amounts of various veggies that I
wanted to use up. Was very good! Also fresh strawberries.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 7 Jul 2018 "Julie Bove" wrote:

>I made brown Spanish rice and added small amounts of various veggies that I
>wanted to use up. Also fresh strawberries.

I can see strawberries in rice pudding but not in Spanish rice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/7/2018 10:42 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-07-07 10:38 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>

>> We never had barley at home.Â* When I was in my 20s I was invited to a
>> friend's home for a raost beef dinner.Â* They served a barley and
>> mushroom pilaf madae with beef broth.Â* I've been making it ever
>> since.Â* Good stuff!
>>

> When I was a kid the only barley we ever had was in Scotch Broth or Beef
> and Barley soup. My wife used to make a barley pilaf with mushrooms and
> beef broth and it was always delicious. Beats me why we haven't had it
> in years.

I was slightly upset when I couldn't find pearled barley at Publix for a
while. I stood there looking at all the grains... uh, no I don't want
bulgar or quinoa. I settled for hulled barley but it wasn't at all the
same. When they finally started stocking pearled barley again I bought
two bags of it. I can see barley pilaf in my future again very soon.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, jmcquown
> wrote:

> Absolutely delicious bean soup. Not a great picture but definitely
> tasty.

Your photo conveys the picture of a soup that I'd sure like to taste.
Perhaps a sprig of cilantro, just so in the center, would have made the
picture perfect, but it was good enough for me.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/8/2018 7:48 PM, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> In article >, jmcquown
> > wrote:
>
>> Absolutely delicious bean soup. Not a great picture but definitely
>> tasty.

> Your photo conveys the picture of a soup that I'd sure like to taste.
> Perhaps a sprig of cilantro, just so in the center, would have made the
> picture perfect, but it was good enough for me.
>
> leo

Thanks, leo! I don't keep a lot of garnishes on hand but I'm sure it
would have perked up the picture.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, July 7, 2018 at 4:51:31 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
> Spicy bean soup cooked in the crock pot. Not because I'm worried about
> heating up the kitchen. Just because it's no fuss, no mess and very tasty!
>
> https://s22.postimg.cc/g6rokxa3l/beansoup.jpg
>
> I made cornsticks to go with this but didn't feel like taking pics of those.
>
> Jill

Jill that soup looks wonderful and corn sticks are perfect.
I wish we had some rain and UI would make it too !!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/16/2018 8:38 AM, rosie wrote:
> On Saturday, July 7, 2018 at 4:51:31 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
>> Spicy bean soup cooked in the crock pot. Not because I'm worried about
>> heating up the kitchen. Just because it's no fuss, no mess and very tasty!
>>
>> https://s22.postimg.cc/g6rokxa3l/beansoup.jpg
>>
>> I made cornsticks to go with this but didn't feel like taking pics of those.
>>
>> Jill

> Jill that soup looks wonderful and corn sticks are perfect.
> I wish we had some rain and UI would make it too !!

I wish I could send you some rain and cooler weather! Save the soup and
cornsticks for when things cool off. It really is tasty.

Jill