Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Walmart Great Value coffee

Sheldar here has often told us about how good this coffee is.
Here's a backup review that I saw in another ng a few days ago.

Subject: Walmart's Coffee
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2018 10:11:20 -0700
From: Ciccio >
Newsgroups: ba.food

For years I found Peets, Starbucks, Cafe Trieste, boutique
coffees,etc., to be overpriced, but acceptable. Then they entered
into
rip-off prices. Thus, I switched to TJs, but then TJs too entered
the
rip-off zone.

So, I have been trying various reasonably priced brewing coffees.
The
latest, which I've been trying for several days is Walmart's
Great
Value brand Colombian coffee. I paid $3.80 for a 12 oz bag.
Without
waxing poetic about flavor complexity, under taste, aroma, etc.,
suffice
it to say, it's handily in the same flavor zone as Peets,
Starbucks,
TJs etc. It certainly tastes better than Farmers Brothers,
Costcos
Kirkland brand, etc. and it tastes way, way, better than the
usual
lowbrow Folgers, Hills Brothers, Maxwell House, etc.

I am no doubt buying the larger quantity of it next time.

Unfortunately, it doesn't come in whole bean, so I'll still pay a
tad
more for such. A good bang-for-the-flavor-buck whole bean I've
found is
Seattle's best, which I use for espresso.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/24/2018 5:57 AM, Gary wrote:
> Sheldar here has often told us about how good this coffee is.
> Here's a backup review that I saw in another ng a few days ago.

> Subject: Walmart's Coffee
> Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2018 10:11:20 -0700
> From: Ciccio >
> Newsgroups: ba.food
>
> For years I found Peets, Starbucks, Cafe Trieste, boutique
> coffees,etc., to be overpriced, but acceptable. Then they entered
> into
> rip-off prices. Thus, I switched to TJs, but then TJs too entered
> the
> rip-off zone.
>
> So, I have been trying various reasonably priced brewing coffees.
> The
> latest, which I've been trying for several days is Walmart's
> Great
> Value brand Colombian coffee. I paid $3.80 for a 12 oz bag.
> Without
> waxing poetic about flavor complexity, under taste, aroma, etc.,
> suffice
> it to say, it's handily in the same flavor zone as Peets,
> Starbucks,
> TJs etc. It certainly tastes better than Farmers Brothers,
> Costcos
> Kirkland brand, etc. and it tastes way, way, better than the
> usual
> lowbrow Folgers, Hills Brothers, Maxwell House, etc.
>
> I am no doubt buying the larger quantity of it next time.
>
> Unfortunately, it doesn't come in whole bean, so I'll still pay a
> tad
> more for such. A good bang-for-the-flavor-buck whole bean I've
> found is
> Seattle's best, which I use for espresso.

Â* Have you tried Farmers ? Also reasonably priced and available at
Walmart . And they have whole bean ... I buy a big bag of their
Columbian Peaks and one of the Italian roast and mix them together .
Makes a strong rich cup of coffee that's not bitter . IMO much better
than SB's overpriced crap .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Jun 2018 06:57:14 -0400, Gary wrote:
>
> > Sheldar here has often told us about how good this coffee is.

> Except that Walmart changes their co-packers for teh Great Value
> suppliers practically yearly. What's good this year is shit next
> year.

Hmmm... I'll try it sometime though. Probably never. I plan a
trip to Walmart tomorrow (if we don't work) and by time I find
whatever I want, I never feel like walking even more miles back
to the grocery part of the damn store. Those Super Walmarts (and
Super Targets) are way overkill for a store.

Even when I go in for just one thing only, that thing is ALWAYS
at the far end of the store. WTH?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary Wrote
> Hmmm... I'll try it sometime though. Probably never. I plan a
> trip to Walmart tomorrow (if we don't work) and by time I find
> whatever I want, I never feel like walking even more miles back
> to the grocery part of the damn store. Those Super Walmarts (and
> Super Targets) are way overkill for a store.
>
> Even when I go in for just one thing only, that thing is ALWAYS
> at the far end of the store. WTH?

That is the only reason I don't shop at Super Walmart and Costco often, way
too big to comfortably navigate.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 24, 2018 at 5:56:55 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> Sheldar here has often told us about how good this coffee is.
> Here's a backup review that I saw in another ng a few days ago.

> Subject: Walmart's Coffee
> Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2018 10:11:20 -0700
> From: Ciccio >
> Newsgroups: ba.food

Nothing labeled "Great Value" is!! That statement is classic Orwellian DoubleSpeak, and literally means the diametric OPPOSITE!! The cheap stuff! Watered down dish soap, etc. Bottom of the heap!

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Jun 2018 06:57:14 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Sheldar here has often told us about how good this coffee is.
>Here's a backup review that I saw in another ng a few days ago.

>Subject: Walmart's Coffee
>Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2018 10:11:20 -0700
>From: Ciccio >
>Newsgroups: ba.food
>
>For years I found Peets, Starbucks, Cafe Trieste, boutique
>coffees,etc., to be overpriced, but acceptable. Then they entered
>into rip-off prices. Thus, I switched to TJs, but then TJs too entered
>the rip-off zone.
>
>So, I have been trying various reasonably priced brewing coffees.
>The latest, which I've been trying for several days is Walmart's
>Great Value brand Colombian coffee. I paid $3.80 for a 12 oz bag.
>Without waxing poetic about flavor complexity, under taste, aroma, etc.,
>suffice it to say, it's handily in the same flavor zone as Peets, Starbucks,
>TJs etc. It certainly tastes better than Farmers Brothers, Costcos
>Kirkland brand, etc. and it tastes way, way, better than the usual
>lowbrow Folgers, Hills Brothers, Maxwell House, etc.
>
>I am no doubt buying the larger quantity of it next time.
>Unfortunately, it doesn't come in whole bean, so I'll still pay a tad
>more for such. A good bang-for-the-flavor-buck whole bean I've
>found is Seattle's best, which I use for espresso.

Once I discovered Walmart's Great Value coffee I gave up grinding
beans... besides being pricy is the fact that beans are never
consistant, buying whole beans is always a crapshoot. We buy
Walmart's Great value coffee in the largest tins and we like each
variety equally, even their French Roast can substitute for espresso.
Naturally the most important factor when brewing coffee is water
quality and cartridge type filters do little, and in fact do more harm
than good as they harbor microbes the same as an aquarium filter. And
bottled water is simply tap water but from someone else's tap... you
are paying for plastic bottles, fancy labeling, and mostly for
transportation and profit. The only way to have quality water is to
use an RO filter (Reverse Osmosis). We use RO water for drinking, and
we treat all the domestic water with UV (Ultra Violet)... UV treated
water for bathing is the best cure for acne and many other skin
diseases, something your Dermatologist will never tell you.
The only times I don't use Walmart's Great Value coffee is for
espresso, then I use Bustelo and brewed with a Morenita pot... there
are other comparable brands but that's what I have... it's just silly
to spend hundreds and thousands on fancy schmancy espresso machines
when this makes a better cup:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_n...top+coffee+NIB

However the real secret to excellent coffee is to use RO water. My
fridge has no icemaker, I use trays, refilled fresh each time with
Fresh RO water... ice from ice machines is odiferous, ice readily
absorbs fridge oders and hardly anyone regularly cleans the ice
maker's bin, most never clean it, their ice stincks, but goes
unnoticed because people don't smell their own shit.
It's pretty stupid to use tap water ice with your top shelf booze.
Even bagged cubes from the store is made with ordinary tap water, only
difference is it's crystal clear, but that's not an improvement on
taste, only appearance.... it's easy to make crystal clear at home,
fill your tray with freshly boiled water, boiling drives out the
gases.

As an aside I know a lot about brewing coffee because back in the '60s
I operated my own coffee business, this was before one could buy a Mr.
Coffee ADC. At that time ADCs were only available to food
businesses/restaurants, because to have the commercial machine you
needed to buy coffee and supplies from the machine manufacturer, plus
make minimum orders. I bought a dozen Bunn machines to start, their
minimum order, and then Bunn sent me to their coffee college for a
week in Chicargo. It didn't take long before I ordered another dozen
machines and then a dozen more. I set them up in banks, beauty
salons, accountancy firms, real estate offices, etc. The selling
gimmick was that the machine provided a 5¢ cup of coffee with the $25
kit of coffee packets, filters, and stirrers. But a big money maker
was in selling solo cups. I also provided tea bags and powdered
creamer for an additional cost. I sold a ton of Solo cups as
employees taok them home, but business didn't care because the Bunn
machine eliminated someone making coffee runs at least twice a day. I
also supplied a five pound bag of sugar with each kit. And I
delivered the kits. Then there came a time when sugar became very
expensive and I didn't supply any. I got a good 5 year run on my
coffee business and made a lot of money. Then one day Mr. Coffee was
born and that was the end of the independent coffee businesses.

I can assure you that Starbucks and the like are not using RO water,
neither any restaurants, what they are selling with their pricey
coffee is atmosphere... humans are big suckers for being brainwashed
by labels/visuals.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Jun 2018 08:36:01 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 24 Jun 2018 06:57:14 -0400, Gary wrote:
>>
>> > Sheldar here has often told us about how good this coffee is.

>> Except that Walmart changes their co-packers for teh Great Value
>> suppliers practically yearly. What's good this year is shit next
>> year.

>Hmmm... I'll try it sometime though. Probably never. I plan a
>trip to Walmart tomorrow (if we don't work) and by time I find
>whatever I want, I never feel like walking even more miles back
>to the grocery part of the damn store. Those Super Walmarts (and
>Super Targets) are way overkill for a store.
>
>Even when I go in for just one thing only, that thing is ALWAYS
>at the far end of the store. WTH?

WTF would hire a crippled house painter... probably can't even climb a
ladder.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 24, 2018 at 12:56:55 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> Sheldar here has often told us about how good this coffee is.
> Here's a backup review that I saw in another ng a few days ago.

> Subject: Walmart's Coffee
> Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2018 10:11:20 -0700
> From: Ciccio >
> Newsgroups: ba.food
>
> For years I found Peets, Starbucks, Cafe Trieste, boutique
> coffees,etc., to be overpriced, but acceptable. Then they entered
> into
> rip-off prices. Thus, I switched to TJs, but then TJs too entered
> the
> rip-off zone.
>
> So, I have been trying various reasonably priced brewing coffees.
> The
> latest, which I've been trying for several days is Walmart's
> Great
> Value brand Colombian coffee. I paid $3.80 for a 12 oz bag.
> Without
> waxing poetic about flavor complexity, under taste, aroma, etc.,
> suffice
> it to say, it's handily in the same flavor zone as Peets,
> Starbucks,
> TJs etc. It certainly tastes better than Farmers Brothers,
> Costcos
> Kirkland brand, etc. and it tastes way, way, better than the
> usual
> lowbrow Folgers, Hills Brothers, Maxwell House, etc.
>
> I am no doubt buying the larger quantity of it next time.
>
> Unfortunately, it doesn't come in whole bean, so I'll still pay a
> tad
> more for such. A good bang-for-the-flavor-buck whole bean I've
> found is
> Seattle's best, which I use for espresso.

I've been using a vacuum coffee brewer - just for kicks. The interesting thing about this method is that the brewing is done at a low temperature. It's a very gentle process. The second thing is that the grinds are in full contact with the water as in a French press. The extraction process is similar to an espresso machine in that the coffee is forced through the grinds under pressure. It's a low temperature pressure extractor. Very nice! The main problem is that you have to wait a while for your coffee. That could be a problem...

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...DYdhv7cEwhuOhV
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> [...]

> kit of coffee packets, filters, and stirrers. But a big money maker
> was in selling solo cups. I also provided tea bags and powdered
> creamer for an additional cost. I sold a ton of Solo cups as
> employees taok them home, but business didn't care because the Bunn
> machine eliminated someone making coffee runs at least twice a day. I
> also supplied a five pound bag of sugar with each kit. And I
> delivered the kits. Then there came a time when sugar became very
> expensive and I didn't supply any. I got a good 5 year run on my
> coffee business and made a lot of money. Then one day Mr. Coffee was
> born and that was the end of the independent coffee businesses.
>
> I can assure you that Starbucks and the like are not using RO water,
> neither any restaurants, what they are selling with their pricey
> coffee is atmosphere... humans are big suckers for being brainwashed

* POPEYE, PUT DOWN YOOSE CRACK PIPE, RIGHT NOW! *

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-06-24 1:15 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> I've been using a vacuum coffee brewer - just for kicks. The interesting thing about this method is that the brewing is done at a low temperature. It's a very gentle process. The second thing is that the grinds are in full contact with the water as in a French press. The extraction process is similar to an espresso machine in that the coffee is forced through the grinds under pressure. It's a low temperature pressure extractor. Very nice! The main problem is that you have to wait a while for your coffee. That could be a problem...

I agree, it makes excellent coffee but is very fiddly to use.
Starbucks now have an automated French Press in some of their outlets.
It enables one to try out different varieties of bean.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Jun 2018 06:47:23 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>Gary Wrote
>> Hmmm... I'll try it sometime though. Probably never. I plan a
>> trip to Walmart tomorrow (if we don't work) and by time I find
>> whatever I want, I never feel like walking even more miles back
>> to the grocery part of the damn store. Those Super Walmarts (and
>> Super Targets) are way overkill for a store.
>>
>> Even when I go in for just one thing only, that thing is ALWAYS
>> at the far end of the store. WTH?

>That is the only reason I don't shop at Super Walmart and Costco often, way
>too big to comfortably navigate.
>
>Cheri

Super Walmarts are not museums, you don't need to traverse every
aisle/section to grocery shop, their grocery department is not much
larger than an average stupidmarket... and I don't traverse every
aisle/section of the supermarket I normally shop in town, about half
the store I've never seen; dry cereal, housewares, diapers/baby food,
otc drugs, cosmetics, housewares, feminine supplies, cleaning
supplies, not even pet supplies... those make up half the store. I
shop produce, meats, sodas, and milk/cheese/eggs, and any sale items
on my list which are rarely more than 2-3. I Have that store
memorized, no wasted steps. If I'm in the store 20 minutes it's a
lot. All cat supplies are delivered from Chewy.com, I buy all my
cosmetics (shaving/bathing stuff) on line. We shop Walmart about once
a month and stock up on canned goods, deli (their deli is scrupulously
clean), snack foods (chips/pretzels), and not much more. About once a
month we shop BJs to buy in bulk; paper goods, cleaning products and
canned goods by the case, and not much more unless something jumps out
like last time large loaves of cinnamon raisin bread, was as good as I
could bake myself... first loaf went within a week, 2nd loaf is still
in the basement freezer.
Only times we get side tracked at the Super Walmart is during
gardening season, we like to peruse their plant nursery, they have
much lower prices than the big stand alone plant nurseries and quality
is equal.
We don't grocery shop every day and don't make a special trip for a
dinner meal like you know who seems to (The Gary). When we see
something we use regularly we stock up, saves a lot of trips, I know
there are people who buy one roll of TP I see it all the time, a
single roll in their cart.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 24, 2018 at 9:44:02 AM UTC-10, graham wrote:

> I agree, it makes excellent coffee but is very fiddly to use.
> Starbucks now have an automated French Press in some of their outlets.
> It enables one to try out different varieties of bean.

I'm just using it for a while. I'll probably stop once I run out of alcohol fuel. Surprisingly, I can grind the coffee down to a very fine powder and there's very little mud at the bottom of the cup. I can't say why that is.

I will check out the Starbucks with the French Press machines.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-06-24 1:57 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, June 24, 2018 at 9:44:02 AM UTC-10, graham wrote:
>>>

>> I agree, it makes excellent coffee but is very fiddly to use.
>> Starbucks now have an automated French Press in some of their outlets.
>> It enables one to try out different varieties of bean.

> I'm just using it for a while. I'll probably stop once I run out of alcohol fuel. Surprisingly, I can grind the coffee down to a very fine powder and there's very little mud at the bottom of the cup. I can't say why that is.
>
> I will check out the Starbucks with the French Press machines.

I think that they are only in the busier locations. Only a few of the
Calgary outlets have them. It's called the Clover System
https://www.starbucks.com/coffee/learn/clover

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/24/2018 2:55 PM, wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Jun 2018 06:47:23 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>> Gary Wrote
>>> Hmmm... I'll try it sometime though. Probably never. I plan a
>>> trip to Walmart tomorrow (if we don't work) and by time I find
>>> whatever I want, I never feel like walking even more miles back
>>> to the grocery part of the damn store. Those Super Walmarts (and
>>> Super Targets) are way overkill for a store.
>>>
>>> Even when I go in for just one thing only, that thing is ALWAYS
>>> at the far end of the store. WTH?

>> That is the only reason I don't shop at Super Walmart and Costco often, way
>> too big to comfortably navigate.
>>
>> Cheri

> Only times we get side tracked at the Super Walmart is during
> gardening season, we like to peruse their plant nursery, they have
> much lower prices than the big stand alone plant nurseries and quality
> is equal.

Â* The prices are lower because their suppliers are always the cheapest
available . I WILL NOT ALLOW a Walmart seedling in my garden , Here's a
link to some pics of my garden as of mid-June .
http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna.../Garden%202018
.. The few seedlings that I didn't start myself came from the CO-OP .
Nothing at all from Walmart's diseased and stunted offerings .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 24, 2018 at 10:17:35 AM UTC-10, graham wrote:

> I think that they are only in the busier locations. Only a few of the
> Calgary outlets have them. It's called the Clover System
> https://www.starbucks.com/coffee/learn/clover

Thanks for the info. The location down the street seems to have one - will check it out!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-06-24 3:57 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, June 24, 2018 at 9:44:02 AM UTC-10, graham wrote:
>>>

>> I agree, it makes excellent coffee but is very fiddly to use.
>> Starbucks now have an automated French Press in some of their outlets.
>> It enables one to try out different varieties of bean.

> I'm just using it for a while. I'll probably stop once I run out of alcohol fuel. Surprisingly, I can grind the coffee down to a very fine powder and there's very little mud at the bottom of the cup. I can't say why that is.
>
> I will check out the Starbucks with the French Press machines.

It will be the place with all the people hanging around nursing a coffee
while writing the next great American novel.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-06-24 3:44 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-06-24 3:57 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Sunday, June 24, 2018 at 9:44:02 AM UTC-10, graham wrote:
>>>>
>>> I agree, it makes excellent coffee but is very fiddly to use.
>>> Starbucks now have an automated French Press in some of their outlets.
>>> It enables one to try out different varieties of bean.

>> I'm just using it for a while. I'll probably stop once I run out of
>> alcohol fuel. Surprisingly, I can grind the coffee down to a very fine
>> powder and there's very little mud at the bottom of the cup. I can't
>> say why that is.
>>
>> I will check out the Starbucks with the French Press machines.
>>

> It will be the place with all the people hanging around nursing a coffee
> while writing the next great American novel.

The S/bux that I frequent doesn't have many of those. They go across the
street to a locally owned place where the standards of hygiene are only
just sufficient to pass the health codes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Jun 2018 15:21:47 -0500, Terry Coombs >
wrote:

>On 6/24/2018 2:55 PM, wrote:
>> On Sun, 24 Jun 2018 06:47:23 -0700, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Gary Wrote

>>> That is the only reason I don't shop at Super Walmart and Costco often, way
>>> too big to comfortably navigate.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> Only times we get side tracked at the Super Walmart is during
>> gardening season, we like to peruse their plant nursery, they have
>> much lower prices than the big stand alone plant nurseries and quality
>> is equal.
>>

> * The prices are lower because their suppliers are always the cheapest
>available . I WILL NOT ALLOW a Walmart seedling in my garden , Here's a
>link to some pics of my garden as of mid-June .

http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna.../Garden%202018
>. The few seedlings that I didn't start myself came from the CO-OP .
>Nothing at all from Walmart's diseased and stunted offerings .

I've never had any problem with Walmart's seeds... actually they sell
Burpee seeds specially packaged for Walmart, smaller seed count but at
far lower prices.... not everyone wants to grow 100 greenbean plants.
Walmart sells Burpee seeds in the quantity I used to buy in the second
grade from Brooklyn Botanic gardens for 10¢ a packet. We always check
Walmart first for vegetable seeds. The only seeds, or plants, we
can't find for the past two years are for acorn squash, no one has
them and I don't know why. Last year there were no acorn squash being
sold anywhere around here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> Only times we get side tracked at the Super Walmart is during
>>> gardening season, we like to peruse their plant nursery, they have
>>> much lower prices than the big stand alone plant nurseries and quality
>>> is equal.
>>>

>> The prices are lower because their suppliers are always the cheapest
>> available . I WILL NOT ALLOW a Walmart seedling in my garden , Here's a
>> link to some pics of my garden as of mid-June .

http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna.../Garden%202018
>> . The few seedlings that I didn't start myself came from the CO-OP .
>> Nothing at all from Walmart's diseased and stunted offerings .

> I've never had any problem with Walmart's seeds... actually they sell
> Burpee seeds specially packaged for Walmart, smaller seed count but at
> far lower prices.... not everyone wants to grow 100 greenbean plants.
> Walmart sells Burpee seeds in the quantity I used to buy in the second
> grade from Brooklyn Botanic gardens for 10¢ a packet. We always check
> Walmart first for vegetable seeds. The only seeds, or plants, we
> can't find for the past two years are for acorn squash, no one has
> them and I don't know why. Last year there were no acorn squash being
> sold anywhere around here.

Popeye, yoose need to understand that some people follow a religion in
hating on walmart. I think yoose could attend their prayer services at
yoose local target store

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 24, 2018 at 11:44:25 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

> It will be the place with all the people hanging around nursing a coffee
> while writing the next great American novel.

I don't see too many of those types hanging around the joint. I'll have to check it out to see exactly what kind of people are there. Mostly I see college students and some well dressed older folks there. I believe that to get in, you have to have at least one Apple device on your person.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message

> We don't grocery shop every day and don't make a special trip for a
> dinner meal like you know who seems to (The Gary). When we see
> something we use regularly we stock up, saves a lot of trips, I know
> there are people who buy one roll of TP I see it all the time, a
> single roll in their cart.

If you shop there once a month, you are there more often than I am these
days. I prefer smaller supermarkets for meats and things like that, but I do
buy my cleaning supplies at Walmart. Some people like to do daily or so
shopping, gets them out of the house and they might like to decide what
they're having for dinner on the spur of moment. Live a little and try to be
more spontaneous.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Jun 2018 18:00:33 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .

>> We don't grocery shop every day and don't make a special trip for a
>> dinner meal like you know who seems to (The Gary). When we see
>> something we use regularly we stock up, saves a lot of trips, I know
>> there are people who buy one roll of TP I see it all the time, a
>> single roll in their cart.

>If you shop there once a month, you are there more often than I am these
>days. I prefer smaller supermarkets for meats and things like that, but I do
>buy my cleaning supplies at Walmart. Some people like to do daily or so
>shopping, gets them out of the house and they might like to decide what
>they're having for dinner on the spur of moment. Live a little and try to be
>more spontaneous.
>
>Cheri

You didn't read my previous post or chose to ignore it... we don't buy
everything at one store.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/24/2018 9:00 PM, Cheri wrote:

> If you shop there once a month, you are there more often than I am these
> days. I prefer smaller supermarkets for meats and things like that, but
> I do buy my cleaning supplies at Walmart. Some people like to do daily
> or so shopping, gets them out of the house and they might like to decide
> what they're having for dinner on the spur of moment. Live a little and
> try to be more spontaneous.
>
> Cheri

Sometimes we evolve over time. I still go to BJs at times but with just
two of us, not much need for larger portions of many items. They are
best for OTC medications though

I don't go to WalMart as often either. I won't buy meats there though
they are cheaper for many canned/jarred items.

I do go to the supermarket at least four times a week though. Since I
retired, it is a chance to get out. I always look for the marked down
meats and that may decide what is for dinner. Once we move, I intend to
get a bicycle for such trips to the store. A couple of hills here keep
me from doing it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Jun 2018 22:00:30 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 6/24/2018 9:00 PM, Cheri wrote:
>
>> If you shop there once a month, you are there more often than I am these
>> days. I prefer smaller supermarkets for meats and things like that, but
>> I do buy my cleaning supplies at Walmart. Some people like to do daily
>> or so shopping, gets them out of the house and they might like to decide
>> what they're having for dinner on the spur of moment. Live a little and
>> try to be more spontaneous.
>>
>> Cheri
>>

>Sometimes we evolve over time. I still go to BJs at times but with just
>two of us, not much need for larger portions of many items. They are
>best for OTC medications though
>
>I don't go to WalMart as often either. I won't buy meats there though
>they are cheaper for many canned/jarred items.
>
>I do go to the supermarket at least four times a week though. Since I
>retired, it is a chance to get out. I always look for the marked down
>meats and that may decide what is for dinner. Once we move, I intend to
>get a bicycle for such trips to the store. A couple of hills here keep
>me from doing it.

Florida is hot and humid, you may want to rethink that bicycle. And
shopping for perishables by bike doesn't always work. I can pedal 20
miles and it's only five miles into town but I'd not consider shopping
for perishables by bike.
However bicycle riding is a great way to keep in shape, we ride 2-3
times a week but not grocery shopping.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> Â*Â* The prices are lower because their suppliers are always the cheapest
>>> available . I WILL NOT ALLOW a Walmart seedling in my garden , Here's a
>>> link to some pics of my garden as of mid-June .

http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna.../Garden%202018

>>> . The few seedlings that I didn't start myself came from the CO-OP .
>>> Nothing at all from Walmart's diseased and stunted offerings .

>> I've never had any problem with Walmart's seeds... actually they sell
>> Burpee seeds specially packaged for Walmart, smaller seed count but at
>> far lower prices.... not everyone wants to grow 100 greenbean plants.
>> Walmart sells Burpee seeds in the quantity I used to buy in the second
>> grade from Brooklyn Botanic gardens for 10¢ a packet.Â* We always check
>> Walmart first for vegetable seeds.Â* The only seeds, or plants, we
>> can't find for the past two years are for acorn squash, no one has
>> them and I don't know why.Â* Last year there were no acorn squash being
>> sold anywhere around here.
>>

> Popeye, yoose need to understand that some people follow a religion in
> hating on walmart. I think yoose could attend their prayer services at
> yoose local target store

Â* I have nothing against Walmart , hell my wife works there ! They just
have shitty seedlings . Probably mostly because the people who care for
them have no training in how to care for plants and really don't give a
crap .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Jun 2018 22:00:30 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> On 6/24/2018 9:00 PM, Cheri wrote:
>>
>>> If you shop there once a month, you are there more often than I am these
>>> days. I prefer smaller supermarkets for meats and things like that, but
>>> I do buy my cleaning supplies at Walmart. Some people like to do daily
>>> or so shopping, gets them out of the house and they might like to decide
>>> what they're having for dinner on the spur of moment. Live a little and
>>> try to be more spontaneous.
>>>
>>> Cheri
>>>

>> Sometimes we evolve over time. I still go to BJs at times but with just
>> two of us, not much need for larger portions of many items. They are
>> best for OTC medications though
>>
>> I don't go to WalMart as often either. I won't buy meats there though
>> they are cheaper for many canned/jarred items.
>>
>> I do go to the supermarket at least four times a week though. Since I
>> retired, it is a chance to get out. I always look for the marked down
>> meats and that may decide what is for dinner. Once we move, I intend to
>> get a bicycle for such trips to the store. A couple of hills here keep
>> me from doing it.

> Florida is hot and humid, you may want to rethink that bicycle. And
> shopping for perishables by bike doesn't always work. I can pedal 20
> miles and it's only five miles into town but I'd not consider shopping
> for perishables by bike.
> However bicycle riding is a great way to keep in shape, we ride 2-3
> times a week but not grocery shopping.

Popeye, did yoose know that it is very pleasant bicycling weather in
florida in the winter? Even yoose sorry ass would enjoy it december
through march.

I bet yoose don't do much bicycling up there in noo yawk at that time of
year, do yoose?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 24, 2018 at 10:14:24 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> The Publix market is less than a mile away. I should be able to even
> get ice cream home safely.

Is it true that senior discounts aren't generally offered in Florida?
I had heard their reasoning is most of the population in Florida are
seniors.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sun, 24 Jun 2018 18:00:33 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
> wrote in message
. ..

>>> We don't grocery shop every day and don't make a special trip for a
>>> dinner meal like you know who seems to (The Gary). When we see
>>> something we use regularly we stock up, saves a lot of trips, I know
>>> there are people who buy one roll of TP I see it all the time, a
>>> single roll in their cart.

>>If you shop there once a month, you are there more often than I am these
>>days. I prefer smaller supermarkets for meats and things like that, but I
>>do
>>buy my cleaning supplies at Walmart. Some people like to do daily or so
>>shopping, gets them out of the house and they might like to decide what
>>they're having for dinner on the spur of moment. Live a little and try to
>>be
>>more spontaneous.
>>
>>Cheri

> You didn't read my previous post or chose to ignore it... we don't buy
> everything at one store.

But you said you buy in bulk, stocking up, others may prefer to shop several
times a week and buy ONE ROLL OF TP at a time. I was replying to YOUR post
which you seemed to have ignored since it has nothing to do with "buying
everything at one store."

Cheri

Cher

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 6/24/2018 9:00 PM, Cheri wrote:
>
>> If you shop there once a month, you are there more often than I am these
>> days. I prefer smaller supermarkets for meats and things like that, but I
>> do buy my cleaning supplies at Walmart. Some people like to do daily or
>> so shopping, gets them out of the house and they might like to decide
>> what they're having for dinner on the spur of moment. Live a little and
>> try to be more spontaneous.
>>
>> Cheri
>>

> Sometimes we evolve over time. I still go to BJs at times but with just
> two of us, not much need for larger portions of many items. They are best
> for OTC medications though
>
> I don't go to WalMart as often either. I won't buy meats there though
> they are cheaper for many canned/jarred items.
>
> I do go to the supermarket at least four times a week though. Since I
> retired, it is a chance to get out. I always look for the marked down
> meats and that may decide what is for dinner. Once we move, I intend to
> get a bicycle for such trips to the store. A couple of hills here keep me
> from doing it.

That sounds quite a bit like how I shop, no bicycle though.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> >I plan a
> > trip to Walmart tomorrow (if we don't work) and by time I find
> > whatever I want, I never feel like walking even more miles back
> > to the grocery part of the damn store. Those Super Walmarts (and
> > Super Targets) are way overkill for a store.
> >
> > Even when I go in for just one thing only, that thing is ALWAYS
> > at the far end of the store. WTH?

> You must be spoiled and lazy. Get one of those motorized granny
> carts, They're just for you types.

The ones they provide? Yeah...I've sometimes considered grabbing
one to use and just pretend my leg is injured if anyone asked. I
don't know how fast they go but they look fun to try. That's on
my bucket list. heheh

I've also considered taking my old skateboard or even the
rollerblades. Both would eliminate the distance problem and turn
a boring trip to Walmart into a fun trip to Walmart. Their floors
are ideal surfaces for that kind of quick travel.

> I have no problem walking back
> and forth across Walmarts if I need something, and I'm a 600 pound
> dwarf with very tiny strides.

Not fair, you might be able to roll rather than walk.

I'm dealing with the Walmart problem though. Each time I go, I
put on my hiking shoes and bring along a canteen (water or beer)
and a couple of MRE's. I'm good.

I've got a very cool old WW2 surplus Army canteen and utility
belt. It was a christmas gift back in the late 1950's - early
60's when most annoying young boys (including me) liked to play
"Army."