Old 14-06-2018, 03:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Not notbob, not kabob

Yesterday's dinner (6/13) was skewer-less kabobs. I had a craving for beef
kabobs this week; but, hadn't bought any suitable beef on my last grocery
outing. Rummaging through the freezer, I came across a package of beef stew
meat and thought I might use that to satisfy my kabob craving.

An aside for the holier-than-thou know-it-all; I know what you think of
store-bought "stew meat", you've certainly harped on it enough and we don't
need to hear it again. Besides, I am not a cynical misanthrope and I have
access to reputable markets.

Having tried stew meat as kabob meat previously, I know that it makes a
pretty tough meal. After marinating the stew meat in my usual balsamic
marinade, I put the meat in aluminum foil pouches, without skewers, and
cooked them for two-and-a-half hours in a low oven. While that was cooking
to make the beef tender, I marinated bell pepper and onion "chunks". After
the beef had slow cooked, I sampled and found very tender, moist beef
chunks. I put the foil pouches, opened to expose the beef, on a rack and
added the vegetable chunks to the rack and put everything into a high oven
for another 20 minutes to cook the vegetables. Finally, 5 minutes under the
broiler to get some char/browining.

In the end, I had very satisfying not kabobs; beef kabobs without the
skewer. Should I do this again some day, I'll probably have the beef in the
oven for a little less time because it was almost too tender

--
Change cujo to juno to make a valid email address.

I'm easy to get along with when things go my way.

Old 14-06-2018, 08:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 14, 2018 at 2:05:31 PM UTC-5, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

On Thu 14 Jun 2018 07:59:44a, l not -l told us...

[...]

Sounds like a good plan!

It does sound darn good, doesn't it??

Old 14-06-2018, 09:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 14-Jun-2018, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

[...]

Sounds like a good plan! Would you share your balsamic marinade?

Everytime I make kabobs on the grill the meat is always tough or much
to chewy. My only success has been with cubes cut from a beef
tenderloin.

--

If available, I like sirloin tips for kebabs; but, around here there is
spotty availability.

Regarding the marinade, I don't really have a recipe, everything is by whim
and by eyeball. But, here's what I do. Season the meat with salt and
pepper. In an appropriately sized zipper bag add evoo and balsamic vinegar
in amounts appropriate to the amount of meat. Add a bit of ground mustard
(not Colemans or other strong one), not much, it is the emulsifier rather
than a big flavor hit. Garlic, amount and process (minced, smashed, sliced,
etc) by whim and by what I know of the strength/properties of the garlic
on-hand. Add any other seasoning, based upon whim (dried Italian Seasoning,
etc), or not (none added this time). Shake vigorously to combine (it's a
good idea to seal the bag before doing this). Open bag and dump meat in;
reseal bag with lots of air/room in the bag and toss it around a lot to coat
meat, then remove much of the air and seal tight. I usually turn the bag
occasionally to redistribute the marinade and make sure all the meat gets
good exposure.

In general, I'm not one to follow recipes (except in baking); I usually have
a general idea of a recipe and then, do what feels right in the moment.

Kabob marinade notbob General Cooking 7 30-12-2017 04:06 PM
I have leg of lamb but into kabob size Manda Ruby General Cooking 14 19-03-2010 12:29 AM
Grilled Scallop Kabob Kathy[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 10-07-2008 06:28 PM
Do You Have A Kabob-It ??? Mark Thorson General Cooking 4 05-07-2008 06:17 AM
Shish Kabob grill bk Barbecue 2 29-08-2004 05:06 PM