Old 14-06-2018, 05:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Best Store-Bought Pasta Sauces (was: Simple foods with local cost factors)

On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 18:24:50 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I've yet to encounter a spaghetti sauce that was ever improved by adding
anything to it.

The best store-bought spaghetti sauces are the Del Monte and Hunts
in the large (24-26oz) cans. They are simple sauces and easy to
doctor up with any of peppers, shrooms, wine, garlic, sausage, olive
oil, etc... They're not sweet and gloopy and only cost $.82/can.

https://www.heb.com/search/?q=del+monte+spaghetti+sauce
https://www.heb.com/search/?q=hunts+spaghetti+sauce

They kept their recipes the same while others tried to make their
sauces fancier, sweeter, and more attractive to shoppers.

-sw

Old 14-06-2018, 11:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I've yet to encounter a spaghetti sauce that was ever improved by adding
anything to it.

The best store-bought spaghetti sauces are the Del Monte and Hunts
in the large (24-26oz) cans. They are simple sauces and easy to
doctor up with any of peppers, shrooms, wine, garlic, sausage, olive
oil, etc... They're not sweet and gloopy and only cost $.82/can.

https://www.heb.com/search/?q=del+monte+spaghetti+sauce
https://www.heb.com/search/?q=hunts+spaghetti+sauce

They kept their recipes the same while others tried to make their
sauces fancier, sweeter, and more attractive to shoppers.

-sw

Did you check with Popeye before posting this? He may have a shit
hemorrhage if you don't do exactly as he does.

Old 15-06-2018, 02:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 14, Sqwertz wrote:

The best store-bought spaghetti sauces are the Del Monte and Hunts
in the large (24-26oz) cans. They are simple sauces and easy to
doctor up with any of peppers, shrooms, wine, garlic, sausage, olive
oil, etc... They're not sweet and gloopy and only cost $.82/can.

https://www.heb.com/search/?q=del+monte+spaghetti+sauce
https://www.heb.com/search/?q=hunts+spaghetti+sauce

They kept their recipes the same while others tried to make their
sauces fancier, sweeter, and more attractive to shoppers.

-sw

It's been a long time since I've tried either of those sauces but there
is one thing I do like. It's the diced tomatoes with basil and garlic
added them. They usually label them as 'Italian style' and they're
quite good as a beginning to sketti sauce as well as soups.
Old 15-06-2018, 10:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

I don't like sauce in cans.
Old 16-06-2018, 09:54 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

The best store-bought spaghetti sauces are the Del Monte and Hunts
in the large (24-26oz) cans. They are simple sauces and easy to
doctor up with any of peppers, shrooms, wine, garlic, sausage, olive
oil, etc... They're not sweet and gloopy and only cost $.82/can.

I use Hunts and always have a can or three in the pantry. Like
you say, easy to doctor up.

Old 16-06-2018, 04:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
Sqwertz wrote:

The best store-bought spaghetti sauces are the Del Monte and Hunts
in the large (24-26oz) cans. They are simple sauces and easy to
doctor up with any of peppers, shrooms, wine, garlic, sausage, olive
oil, etc... They're not sweet and gloopy and only cost $.82/can.

I use Hunts and always have a can or three in the pantry. Like
you say, easy to doctor up.

The fast food drive thru of pasta sauce. I'm one of the few remaining
from-scratch pasta sauce makers... even the best Eyetalian restaurants
and pizzarias use canned.
Old 16-06-2018, 04:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Gary wrote:
I use Hunts and always have a can or three in the pantry. Like
you say, easy to doctor up.

The fast food drive thru of pasta sauce.

Not something you use right from the can to the plate ever. It's
a good base sauce to build on though.
Old 16-06-2018, 04:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 16, 2018 at 11:06:54 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
Gary wrote:
Sqwertz wrote:

The best store-bought spaghetti sauces are the Del Monte and Hunts
in the large (24-26oz) cans. They are simple sauces and easy to
doctor up with any of peppers, shrooms, wine, garlic, sausage, olive
oil, etc... They're not sweet and gloopy and only cost $.82/can.

I use Hunts and always have a can or three in the pantry. Like
you say, easy to doctor up.

The fast food drive thru of pasta sauce. I'm one of the few remaining
from-scratch pasta sauce makers... even the best Eyetalian restaurants
and pizzarias use canned.

What is your evidence to support your assertion?

Cindy Hamilton
Old 16-06-2018, 04:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
Sqwertz wrote:

The best store-bought spaghetti sauces are the Del Monte and Hunts
in the large (24-26oz) cans. They are simple sauces and easy to
doctor up with any of peppers, shrooms, wine, garlic, sausage, olive
oil, etc... They're not sweet and gloopy and only cost $.82/can.

I use Hunts and always have a can or three in the pantry. Like
you say, easy to doctor up.

The fast food drive thru of pasta sauce. I'm one of the few remaining
from-scratch pasta sauce makers... even the best Eyetalian restaurants
and pizzarias use canned.

What is your evidence to support your assertion?

Cindy Hamilton

He doesn't need evidence, he says it, so it's so. ;-)

Cheri

Old 16-06-2018, 05:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
Sqwertz wrote:

The best store-bought spaghetti sauces are the Del Monte and Hunts
in the large (24-26oz) cans. They are simple sauces and easy to
doctor up with any of peppers, shrooms, wine, garlic, sausage, olive
oil, etc... They're not sweet and gloopy and only cost $.82/can.

I use Hunts and always have a can or three in the pantry. Like
you say, easy to doctor up.

The fast food drive thru of pasta sauce. I'm one of the few remaining
from-scratch pasta sauce makers... even the best Eyetalian restaurants
and pizzarias use canned.

What is your evidence to support your assertion?

Cindy Hamilton

Cases of #10 cans visible.

Old 16-06-2018, 05:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
Sqwertz wrote:

The best store-bought spaghetti sauces are the Del Monte and Hunts
in the large (24-26oz) cans. They are simple sauces and easy to
doctor up with any of peppers, shrooms, wine, garlic, sausage, olive
oil, etc... They're not sweet and gloopy and only cost $.82/can.

I use Hunts and always have a can or three in the pantry. Like
you say, easy to doctor up.

The fast food drive thru of pasta sauce. I'm one of the few remaining
from-scratch pasta sauce makers... even the best Eyetalian restaurants
and pizzarias use canned.

What is your evidence to support your assertion?

Cindy Hamilton

He doesn't need evidence, he says it, so it's so. ;-)

Cheri

Next time you go dumpster diving check out the restaurant trash and
you'll see countless empty #10 cans
Old 16-06-2018, 07:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
Sqwertz wrote:

The best store-bought spaghetti sauces are the Del Monte and Hunts
in the large (24-26oz) cans. They are simple sauces and easy to
doctor up with any of peppers, shrooms, wine, garlic, sausage, olive
oil, etc... They're not sweet and gloopy and only cost $.82/can.

I use Hunts and always have a can or three in the pantry. Like
you say, easy to doctor up.

The fast food drive thru of pasta sauce. I'm one of the few remaining
from-scratch pasta sauce makers... even the best Eyetalian restaurants
and pizzarias use canned.

What is your evidence to support your assertion?

Cindy Hamilton

He doesn't need evidence, he says it, so it's so. ;-)

Cheri

Next time you go dumpster diving check out the restaurant trash and
you'll see countless empty #10 cans

You seem to be an expert on what's in dumpsters, so I'll leave it to you to
sort through them.

Cheri

Old 16-06-2018, 08:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
Sqwertz wrote:

The best store-bought spaghetti sauces are the Del Monte and Hunts
in the large (24-26oz) cans. They are simple sauces and easy to
doctor up with any of peppers, shrooms, wine, garlic, sausage, olive
oil, etc... They're not sweet and gloopy and only cost $.82/can.

I use Hunts and always have a can or three in the pantry. Like
you say, easy to doctor up.

The fast food drive thru of pasta sauce. I'm one of the few remaining
from-scratch pasta sauce makers... even the best Eyetalian restaurants
and pizzarias use canned.

What is your evidence to support your assertion?

Cindy Hamilton

Cases of #10 cans visible.

How many of "the best" Italian restaurants have you examined? 1000?

Cindy Hamilton
Old 16-06-2018, 09:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
Sqwertz wrote:

The best store-bought spaghetti sauces are the Del Monte and Hunts
in the large (24-26oz) cans. They are simple sauces and easy to
doctor up with any of peppers, shrooms, wine, garlic, sausage, olive
oil, etc... They're not sweet and gloopy and only cost $.82/can.

I use Hunts and always have a can or three in the pantry. Like
you say, easy to doctor up.

The fast food drive thru of pasta sauce. I'm one of the few remaining
from-scratch pasta sauce makers... even the best Eyetalian restaurants
and pizzarias use canned.

What is your evidence to support your assertion?

Cindy Hamilton

Cases of #10 cans visible.

How many of "the best" Italian restaurants have you examined? 1000?

I thought he lived in the countryside and never goes to restaurants,
so my estimate is =1.
Old 16-06-2018, 09:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

I use Hunt's when I don't have the ingredients or energy to make Harry's.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Harry's Tomato Sauce

Recipe By :Harry Demidavicius
Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :2:15
Categories : food processor sauces/gravies

1 large carrot -- cut in large chunks
1 stalk celery -- cut in large chunks
1 medium onion -- cut in large chunks
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground fennel -- (my addition)
28 ounces Italian tomatoes -- crushed
1 cup dry red wine
1/4 cup fresh parsley -- minced

1. Blend the carrot, celery, onion, garlic, oil, and oregano in a food
processor until emulsified.

2. Empty the tomatoes into a large saucepan on medium heat and mash them.
Stir in the vegetable mixture. The resulting blend should be quite thick &
look reddish with traces of green & yellow visible. When it starts to
bubble turn down the heat & simmer uncovered for about 90 minutes,
stirring occasionally, until it has reduced & blended into a sauce.

3. Add in the wine and continue to simmer for a few more minutes. Stir in
the parsley simmer for 5 more minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings and
remove from heat.

4. The sauce may now be served over pasta or stored in the refrigerator in
tightly capped 28 ounce jars.

Cuisine:
"Italian"
Source: