Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Simple foods with local cost factors

Hi, moving this post over here.

--------this is from a Yahoo group local chat area.

Tonight I was finishing up some work at home so Charlotte took over for
most of it. I only helped with the Garlic bread and suggested the
garlic addition to the jarred sauce.

As a quick fix I always have some jarred spaghetti sauce. This one is
a Classico 4 cheese blend. Charlotte added about 3/4 ts powdered
garlic to it which kicked just right against the sweetness.

Spaghetti boiled up of course.

I had some leftover bread from Saturday's bake in the fridge which I
sliced somewhat 'Texas Toast' sized making 6 slices. I took about 1/2
stick butter in the microwave (maybe a tad more, I was matching
leftover knobs up) and sprinkled that well with roasted garlic (1.5ts
likely). It's important to use roasted here for just that
quintessential version. That was softened in the microwave then spread
over the bread and baked to crispy. *

Looks good, tastes good!

I estimate 40cents of pasta and 1.50 for the sauce. I used 6 fairly
thick slices of bread (home made) at probably 20cents total. My added
garlic may have been 20 cents? Probably less but will roll with that
cost. The butter is generally sale priced to 2lbs/4$ so 25cents a stick
and we will call it 15cents worth.

..40+1.50+.20+.20+.15=2.45 for the meal or 82 cents split by 3 of us.
It's actually less as we will have leftovers of the spaghetti for 2
small lunches likely.

* This was started in the oven when it hit 275 and still heating to
350. Checked at 5 minutes when the temp was 350. We let it go another
3 minutes and it was ready for us, but another may want more browning.
as some may like it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 18:29:41 -0500, cshenk wrote:

> The butter is generally sale priced to 2lbs/4$ so 25cents a stick
> and we will call it 15cents worth.

Don't quit your day job to take up math and cooking.

> .40+1.50+.20+.20+.15=2.45 for the meal or 82 cents split by 3 of us.

.... or mastery of the English language.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 6:29:49 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:

> Hi, moving this post over here.
>
> --------this is from a Yahoo group local chat area.
>
> Tonight I was finishing up some work at home so Charlotte took over for
> most of it. I only helped with the Garlic bread and suggested the
> garlic addition to the jarred sauce.
>
> As a quick fix I always have some jarred spaghetti sauce. This one is
> a Classico 4 cheese blend. Charlotte added about 3/4 ts powdered
> garlic to it which kicked just right against the sweetness.

I've yet to encounter a spaghetti sauce that was ever improved by adding
anything to it.

> The butter is generally sale priced to 2lbs/4$ so 25cents a stick
> and we will call it 15cents worth.

I certainly hope whoever wrote this is not allowed to do any bookkeeping
at their place of employment.

To me, the only thing that sounded good was the garlic bread.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 18:24:50 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 6:29:49 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
>>
>> Hi, moving this post over here.
>>
>> --------this is from a Yahoo group local chat area.
>>
>> Tonight I was finishing up some work at home so Charlotte took over for
>> most of it. I only helped with the Garlic bread and suggested the
>> garlic addition to the jarred sauce.
>>
>> As a quick fix I always have some jarred spaghetti sauce. This one is
>> a Classico 4 cheese blend. Charlotte added about 3/4 ts powdered
>> garlic to it which kicked just right against the sweetness.
>>

>I've yet to encounter a spaghetti sauce that was ever improved by adding
>anything to it.

Are you saying that supermarket spaghetti sauce is perfect or that it
can't be saved?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 8:33:37 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 18:24:50 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
> >I've yet to encounter a spaghetti sauce that was ever improved by adding
> >anything to it.

> Are you saying that supermarket spaghetti sauce is perfect or that it
> can't be saved?

The only decent supermarket spaghetti sauce I've encountered to ME
that is any good is Newman's Own organic marinara. I'm not an organic
nut by any means but his is really, really good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 20:13:12 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 8:33:37 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 18:24:50 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >I've yet to encounter a spaghetti sauce that was ever improved by adding
>> >anything to it.

>> Are you saying that supermarket spaghetti sauce is perfect or that it
>> can't be saved?
>>

>The only decent supermarket spaghetti sauce I've encountered to ME
>that is any good is Newman's Own organic marinara. I'm not an organic
>nut by any means but his is really, really good.

All real, honest ingredients, so it IS possible:
"Diced organic tomatoes in organic tomato purée, water, organic extra
virgin olive oil, organic onion, organic basil, organic carrot purée,
organic garlic, crushed organic red pepper, ground organic fennel
seed, organic oregano, organic black pepper"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 6:29:49 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
>>
>> Hi, moving this post over here.
>>
>> --------this is from a Yahoo group local chat area.
>>
>> Tonight I was finishing up some work at home so Charlotte took over for
>> most of it. I only helped with the Garlic bread and suggested the
>> garlic addition to the jarred sauce.
>>
>> As a quick fix I always have some jarred spaghetti sauce. This one is
>> a Classico 4 cheese blend. Charlotte added about 3/4 ts powdered
>> garlic to it which kicked just right against the sweetness.
>>

> I've yet to encounter a spaghetti sauce that was ever improved by adding
> anything to it.
>>
>> The butter is generally sale priced to 2lbs/4$ so 25cents a stick
>> and we will call it 15cents worth.
>>

> I certainly hope whoever wrote this is not allowed to do any bookkeeping
> at their place of employment.
>
> To me, the only thing that sounded good was the garlic bread.

I got some of the P$$$t brand of pasta sauce at Fred Meyers. They seem to be
phasing out that brand. Clearance price was 42 cents. I got it for the cheap
factor and not so much the taste. It seems fine for a quick meal, especially
since none of us are big on eating pasta. I usually add a little plain
tomato sauce, more cheese and some herbs. Last time I add fresh basil and
Italian parsley that I grew. Also a bag of Trader Joe's frozen party
meatballs. Not bad for meatballs.

This will never be a favorite meal but it's cheap and quick to fix. I use
Tinkyada brown rice pasta.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 18:24:50 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
>>On Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 6:29:49 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi, moving this post over here.
>>>
>>> --------this is from a Yahoo group local chat area.
>>>
>>> Tonight I was finishing up some work at home so Charlotte took over for
>>> most of it. I only helped with the Garlic bread and suggested the
>>> garlic addition to the jarred sauce.
>>>
>>> As a quick fix I always have some jarred spaghetti sauce. This one is
>>> a Classico 4 cheese blend. Charlotte added about 3/4 ts powdered
>>> garlic to it which kicked just right against the sweetness.
>>>

>>I've yet to encounter a spaghetti sauce that was ever improved by adding
>>anything to it.

> Are you saying that supermarket spaghetti sauce is perfect or that it
> can't be saved?

One that is super good is Amy's Organic. It's also expensive.

The worst I have ever tried is Muir Glen. Has a horrid, off taste. Weird
because their salsa is good.

That being said, I'm not a big pasta lover so the appeal to me of pasta is
quick and cheap. Plain tomato sauce even works for me if I want a cheap and
quick meal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 7:39:08 PM UTC-4, Wild Bill Wharton wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 18:29:41 -0500, cshenk wrote:
>
> > The butter is generally sale priced to 2lbs/4$ so 25cents a stick
> > and we will call it 15cents worth.

> Don't quit your day job to take up math and cooking.
>
> > .40+1.50+.20+.20+.15=2.45 for the meal or 82 cents split by 3 of us.

> ... or mastery of the English language.

What is wrong with his math? Should he have said 0.8166666666666666?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Jun 2018 03:59:21 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 18:24:50 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>I've yet to encounter a spaghetti sauce that was ever improved by adding
>>>anything to it.

>> Are you saying that supermarket spaghetti sauce is perfect or that it
>> can't be saved?

>One that is super good is Amy's Organic. It's also expensive.
>
>The worst I have ever tried is Muir Glen. Has a horrid, off taste. Weird
>because their salsa is good.
>
>That being said, I'm not a big pasta lover so the appeal to me of pasta is
>quick and cheap. Plain tomato sauce even works for me if I want a cheap and
>quick meal.

Italian cooking is French cooking for dummies.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I like Prego roasted garlic sauce.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 20:13:12 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 8:33:37 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 18:24:50 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >I've yet to encounter a spaghetti sauce that was ever improved by adding
>> >anything to it.

>> Are you saying that supermarket spaghetti sauce is perfect or that it
>> can't be saved?
>>

>The only decent supermarket spaghetti sauce I've encountered to ME
>that is any good is Newman's Own organic marinara. I'm not an organic
>nut by any means but his is really, really good.

I've tried Newman's Own, found it no better or worse than any other
jarred.
Pasta sauce needn't be red. For us a great easy-peasy pasta
sauce is to saute an entire head of slivered garlic in evoo with some
Italian herbs. Toss with choice of pasta and top with grated cheese.
Serve with saw-seege and en-salad.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thomas wrote:

> On Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 7:39:08 PM UTC-4, Wild Bill Wharton
> wrote:
> > On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 18:29:41 -0500, cshenk wrote:
> >
> > > The butter is generally sale priced to 2lbs/4$, so 25cents a stick
> > > and we will call it 15cents worth.

> > Don't quit your day job to take up math and cooking.
> >
> > > .40+1.50+.20+.20+.15=2.45 for the meal or 82 cents split by 3 of
> > > us.

> > ... or mastery of the English language.

> What is wrong with his math? Should he have said 0.8166666666666666?

Snicker, some want the last dynopter added.

I averaged it out and this was simple stuff made by my kid, using a jar
and a little addition to make it better.

Gasp, I added the missing comma above.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:

> Hi, moving this post over here.
>
> --------this is from a Yahoo group local chat area.
>
> Tonight I was finishing up some work at home so Charlotte took over
> for most of it. I only helped with the Garlic bread and suggested the
> garlic addition to the jarred sauce.
>
> As a quick fix I always have some jarred spaghetti sauce. This one is
> a Classico 4 cheese blend. Charlotte added about 3/4 ts powdered
> garlic to it which kicked just right against the sweetness.
>
> Spaghetti boiled up of course.
>
> I had some leftover bread from Saturday's bake in the fridge which I
> sliced somewhat 'Texas Toast' sized making 6 slices. I took about 1/2
> stick butter in the microwave (maybe a tad more, I was matching
> leftover knobs up) and sprinkled that well with roasted garlic (1.5ts
> likely). It's important to use roasted here for just that
> quintessential version. That was softened in the microwave then
> spread over the bread and baked to crispy. *
>
> Looks good, tastes good!
>
> I estimate 40cents of pasta and 1.50 for the sauce. I used 6 fairly
> thick slices of bread (home made) at probably 20cents total. My added
> garlic may have been 20 cents? Probably less but will roll with that
> cost. The butter is generally sale priced to 2lbs/4$ so 25cents a
> stick and we will call it 15cents worth.
>
> .40+1.50+.20+.20+.15=2.45 for the meal or 82 cents split by 3 of us.
> It's actually less as we will have leftovers of the spaghetti for 2
> small lunches likely.
>
> * This was started in the oven when it hit 275 and still heating to
> 350. Checked at 5 minutes when the temp was 350. We let it go another
> 3 minutes and it was ready for us, but another may want more browning.
> as some may like it.

Minor correction. It should read 25cents worth of a stick and the
calculation should use .25 vice .15. Sorry about being 10cents off.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 18:24:50 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 6:29:49 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
> > >
> >> Hi, moving this post over here.
> >>
> >> --------this is from a Yahoo group local chat area.
> >>
> >> Tonight I was finishing up some work at home so Charlotte took

> over for >> most of it. I only helped with the Garlic bread and
> suggested the >> garlic addition to the jarred sauce.
> >>
> >> As a quick fix I always have some jarred spaghetti sauce. This

> one is >> a Classico 4 cheese blend. Charlotte added about 3/4 ts
> powdered >> garlic to it which kicked just right against the
> sweetness. >>
> > I've yet to encounter a spaghetti sauce that was ever improved by
> > adding anything to it.

> Are you saying that supermarket spaghetti sauce is perfect or that it
> can't be saved?

I generally make ours because we like it better and it's really easy to
do from canned tomato products that are lower sodium (an issue here for
my husband). I also enjoy diddling with the seasonings (grin).

The occasional backup jar does exist here for a quick fix if I am
either out of my own frozen sets or some that may have been freshly put
in the fridge in the last 2-3 days.

I tend to the Classico brand because the jars afterwards are useful and
it's taste is acceptable to us. A bit of doctoring makes it better
though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Jun 2018 18:24:39 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 18:24:50 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:
>>
>> > I've yet to encounter a spaghetti sauce that was ever improved by
>> > adding anything to it.

>> Are you saying that supermarket spaghetti sauce is perfect or that it
>> can't be saved?

>I generally make ours because we like it better and it's really easy to
>do from canned tomato products that are lower sodium (an issue here for
>my husband). I also enjoy diddling with the seasonings (grin).
>
>The occasional backup jar does exist here for a quick fix if I am
>either out of my own frozen sets or some that may have been freshly put
>in the fridge in the last 2-3 days.
>
>I tend to the Classico brand because the jars afterwards are useful and
>it's taste is acceptable to us. A bit of doctoring makes it better
>though.

I'd never think of buying something as basic as pasta sauce prefab,
but if you're busy enough or in a hurry, everything goes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I add oregano to Prego to improve my blood sugar.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 14, 2018 at 7:37:56 PM UTC-5, wrote:

> I add oregano to Prego to improve my blood sugar.

I buy the Newman's Own frozen pizza and add several healthy shakes of
oregano to it when it comes out of the oven. I just like the taste
of the stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

cshenk wrote:

> Hi, moving this post over here.
>
> --------this is from a Yahoo group local chat area.
>
> Tonight I was finishing up some work at home so Charlotte took over
> for most of it. I only helped with the Garlic bread and suggested the
> garlic addition to the jarred sauce.
>
> As a quick fix I always have some jarred spaghetti sauce. This one is
> a Classico 4 cheese blend. Charlotte added about 3/4 ts powdered
> garlic to it which kicked just right against the sweetness.
>
> Spaghetti boiled up of course.
>
> I had some leftover bread from Saturday's bake in the fridge which I
> sliced somewhat 'Texas Toast' sized making 6 slices. I took about 1/2
> stick butter in the microwave (maybe a tad more, I was matching
> leftover knobs up) and sprinkled that well with roasted garlic (1.5ts
> likely). It's important to use roasted here for just that
> quintessential version. That was softened in the microwave then
> spread over the bread and baked to crispy. *
>
> Looks good, tastes good!
>
> I estimate 40cents of pasta and 1.50 for the sauce. I used 6 fairly
> thick slices of bread (home made) at probably 20cents total. My added
> garlic may have been 20 cents? Probably less but will roll with that
> cost. The butter is generally sale priced to 2lbs/4$ so 25cents a
> stick and we will call it 15cents worth.
>
> .40+1.50+.20+.20+.15=2.45 for the meal or 82 cents split by 3 of us.
> It's actually less as we will have leftovers of the spaghetti for 2
> small lunches likely.
>
> * This was started in the oven when it hit 275 and still heating to
> 350. Checked at 5 minutes when the temp was 350. We let it go another
> 3 minutes and it was ready for us, but another may want more browning.
> as some may like it.

Minor correction. It should read 25cents worth of a stick and the
calculation should use .25 vice .15. Sorry about being 10cents off.
==

Oh noooooooooooo! The whole world caved in!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 7:29:49 PM UTC-4, cshenk wrote:
> Hi, moving this post over here.
>
> --------this is from a Yahoo group local chat area.
>
> Tonight I was finishing up some work at home so Charlotte took over for
> most of it. I only helped with the Garlic bread and suggested the
> garlic addition to the jarred sauce.
>
> As a quick fix I always have some jarred spaghetti sauce. This one is
> a Classico 4 cheese blend. Charlotte added about 3/4 ts powdered
> garlic to it which kicked just right against the sweetness.
>
> Spaghetti boiled up of course.
>
> I had some leftover bread from Saturday's bake in the fridge which I
> sliced somewhat 'Texas Toast' sized making 6 slices. I took about 1/2
> stick butter in the microwave (maybe a tad more, I was matching
> leftover knobs up) and sprinkled that well with roasted garlic (1.5ts
> likely). It's important to use roasted here for just that
> quintessential version. That was softened in the microwave then spread
> over the bread and baked to crispy. *
>
> Looks good, tastes good!
>
> I estimate 40cents of pasta and 1.50 for the sauce. I used 6 fairly
> thick slices of bread (home made) at probably 20cents total. My added
> garlic may have been 20 cents? Probably less but will roll with that
> cost. The butter is generally sale priced to 2lbs/4$ so 25cents a stick
> and we will call it 15cents worth.
>
> .40+1.50+.20+.20+.15=2.45 for the meal or 82 cents split by 3 of us.
> It's actually less as we will have leftovers of the spaghetti for 2
> small lunches likely.
>
> * This was started in the oven when it hit 275 and still heating to
> 350. Checked at 5 minutes when the temp was 350. We let it go another
> 3 minutes and it was ready for us, but another may want more browning.
> as some may like it.

Prego is thicker than Ragu, I used to like Classico with ripe olives in it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 7:29:49 PM UTC-4, cshenk wrote:
> Hi, moving this post over here.
>
> --------this is from a Yahoo group local chat area.
>
> Tonight I was finishing up some work at home so Charlotte took over for
> most of it. I only helped with the Garlic bread and suggested the
> garlic addition to the jarred sauce.
>
> As a quick fix I always have some jarred spaghetti sauce. This one is
> a Classico 4 cheese blend. Charlotte added about 3/4 ts powdered
> garlic to it which kicked just right against the sweetness.
>
> Spaghetti boiled up of course.
>
> I had some leftover bread from Saturday's bake in the fridge which I
> sliced somewhat 'Texas Toast' sized making 6 slices. I took about 1/2
> stick butter in the microwave (maybe a tad more, I was matching
> leftover knobs up) and sprinkled that well with roasted garlic (1.5ts
> likely). It's important to use roasted here for just that
> quintessential version. That was softened in the microwave then spread
> over the bread and baked to crispy. *
>
> Looks good, tastes good!
>
> I estimate 40cents of pasta and 1.50 for the sauce. I used 6 fairly
> thick slices of bread (home made) at probably 20cents total. My added
> garlic may have been 20 cents? Probably less but will roll with that
> cost. The butter is generally sale priced to 2lbs/4$ so 25cents a stick
> and we will call it 15cents worth.
>
> .40+1.50+.20+.20+.15=2.45 for the meal or 82 cents split by 3 of us.
> It's actually less as we will have leftovers of the spaghetti for 2
> small lunches likely.
>
> * This was started in the oven when it hit 275 and still heating to
> 350. Checked at 5 minutes when the temp was 350. We let it go another
> 3 minutes and it was ready for us, but another may want more browning.
> as some may like it.

I didn't mean to post all of that, google groups did it, Ragu roasted garlic is pretty thick.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> You might get more hits spelling it "passata"
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> I had to look it up. "A thick paste made from strained tomatoes and
>> used especially in Italian cooking." Hmmmm. Sounds a lot like tomato
>> paste to me.

> Passata is smooth raw, uncooked tomatoes passed through a sieve to
> remove the skin and seeds.
>
> Tomato paste is reduced by cooking it.
>
> Janet UK

Thank you for the clarification. I'd be cooking the sauce to reduce it
anyway. Tomato paste has always worked for me.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> I had to look it up. "A thick paste made from strained tomatoes and
>>> used especially in Italian cooking." Hmmmm. Sounds a lot like tomato
>>> paste to me.

>> Passata is smooth raw, uncooked tomatoes passed through a sieve to
>> remove the skin and seeds.
>>
>> Tomato paste is reduced by cooking it.
>>
>> Janet UK
>>

>Thank you for the clarification. I'd be cooking the sauce to reduce it
>anyway. Tomato paste has always worked for me.
>
>Jill

Actually tomato paste is not cooked, its water is removed by placing
it in a vacuum and sucking out the moisture the same way OJ
concentrate is made. It's a complicated process but commercial tomato
paste is not cooked. Were it cooked it would caramelize and turn
brown, not be bright tomatoey red.
http://www.fenco.it/tomato-processin...te-production/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 1:29:49 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> Hi, moving this post over here.
>
> --------this is from a Yahoo group local chat area.
>
> Tonight I was finishing up some work at home so Charlotte took over for
> most of it. I only helped with the Garlic bread and suggested the
> garlic addition to the jarred sauce.
>
> As a quick fix I always have some jarred spaghetti sauce. This one is
> a Classico 4 cheese blend. Charlotte added about 3/4 ts powdered
> garlic to it which kicked just right against the sweetness.
>
> Spaghetti boiled up of course.
>
> I had some leftover bread from Saturday's bake in the fridge which I
> sliced somewhat 'Texas Toast' sized making 6 slices. I took about 1/2
> stick butter in the microwave (maybe a tad more, I was matching
> leftover knobs up) and sprinkled that well with roasted garlic (1.5ts
> likely). It's important to use roasted here for just that
> quintessential version. That was softened in the microwave then spread
> over the bread and baked to crispy. *
>
> Looks good, tastes good!
>
> I estimate 40cents of pasta and 1.50 for the sauce. I used 6 fairly
> thick slices of bread (home made) at probably 20cents total. My added
> garlic may have been 20 cents? Probably less but will roll with that
> cost. The butter is generally sale priced to 2lbs/4$ so 25cents a stick
> and we will call it 15cents worth.
>
> .40+1.50+.20+.20+.15=2.45 for the meal or 82 cents split by 3 of us.
> It's actually less as we will have leftovers of the spaghetti for 2
> small lunches likely.
>
> * This was started in the oven when it hit 275 and still heating to
> 350. Checked at 5 minutes when the temp was 350. We let it go another
> 3 minutes and it was ready for us, but another may want more browning.
> as some may like it.

I'll buy the cheapest spaghetti sauce that's available. Typically, that means it's going to be sauce in a can. These sauces are pretty much generic products to me, by the time I'm done with it, it's going to be tasting how I want it. Generally, I think Asians like their spaghetti sauce to be on the sweet side.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> > > You might get more hits spelling it "passata"
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton
> > >

> > I had to look it up. "A thick paste made from strained tomatoes and
> > used especially in Italian cooking." Hmmmm. Sounds a lot like tomato
> > paste to me.

> Passata is smooth raw, uncooked tomatoes passed through a sieve to

How do they package it if it's raw?

<https://www.google.cm/search?q=passata&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=0ah UKEwiykpD0hNjbAhUk6IMKHTMKBKMQ_AUICigB&biw=877&bih =857>

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I have a jar of Ragu spicy Italian, not sure how it will be.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Jun 2018 02:15:27 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> You might get more hits spelling it "passata"
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> I had to look it up. "A thick paste made from strained tomatoes and used
>> especially in Italian cooking." Hmmmm. Sounds a lot like tomato paste to
>> me.

>It's not that thick. I bought some awhile back. Had to mail order as I
>couldn't find it in any stores. Wasn't worth the price.

WTF didn't you just dilute tomato paste? Add a tsp of H2O at a time
while stirring until it's the consistancy you want. Or you could use
canned crushed tomatoes, it's thinner than paste but thicker than
sauce.... can make crushed thicker by adding some paste. And you'd
not have to wait for delivery and pay the price of mail order...
canned tomato products are always on sale and plenty to choose from,
practically an entire market aisle.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Jun 2018 04:05:44 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

wrote:

>> > I had to look it up. "A thick paste made from strained tomatoes and
>> > used especially in Italian cooking." Hmmmm. Sounds a lot like tomato
>> > paste to me.

>> Passata is smooth raw, uncooked tomatoes passed through a sieve to

>How do they package it if it's raw?
>
><https://www.google.cm/search?q=passata&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=0ah UKEwiykpD0hNjbAhUk6IMKHTMKBKMQ_AUICigB&biw=877&bih =857>
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Canned does not mean cooked, just heated very briefly to about 160ºF,
and then the sealed cans go for a cold shower.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> cshenk wrote:
>
> > Hi, moving this post over here.
> >
> > --------this is from a Yahoo group local chat area.
> >
> > Tonight I was finishing up some work at home so Charlotte took over
> > for most of it. I only helped with the Garlic bread and suggested
> > the garlic addition to the jarred sauce.
> >
> > As a quick fix I always have some jarred spaghetti sauce. This one
> > is a Classico 4 cheese blend. Charlotte added about 3/4 ts powdered
> > garlic to it which kicked just right against the sweetness.
> >
> > Spaghetti boiled up of course.
> >
> > I had some leftover bread from Saturday's bake in the fridge which I
> > sliced somewhat 'Texas Toast' sized making 6 slices. I took about
> > 1/2 stick butter in the microwave (maybe a tad more, I was matching
> > leftover knobs up) and sprinkled that well with roasted garlic
> > (1.5ts likely). It's important to use roasted here for just that
> > quintessential version. That was softened in the microwave then
> > spread over the bread and baked to crispy. *
> >
> > Looks good, tastes good!
> >
> > I estimate 40cents of pasta and 1.50 for the sauce. I used 6 fairly
> > thick slices of bread (home made) at probably 20cents total. My
> > added garlic may have been 20 cents? Probably less but will roll
> > with that cost. The butter is generally sale priced to 2lbs/4$ so
> > 25cents a stick and we will call it 15cents worth.
> >
> > .40+1.50+.20+.20+.15=2.45 for the meal or 82 cents split by 3 of us.
> > It's actually less as we will have leftovers of the spaghetti for 2
> > small lunches likely.
> >
> > * This was started in the oven when it hit 275 and still heating to
> > 350. Checked at 5 minutes when the temp was 350. We let it go
> > another 3 minutes and it was ready for us, but another may want
> > more browning. as some may like it.

> Minor correction. It should read 25cents worth of a stick and the
> calculation should use .25 vice .15. Sorry about being 10cents off.
> ==
>
> Oh noooooooooooo! The whole world caved in!!

LOL! You'd think so from some here!