Old 14-06-2018, 12:29 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Simple foods with local cost factors

Hi, moving this post over here.

--------this is from a Yahoo group local chat area.

Tonight I was finishing up some work at home so Charlotte took over for
most of it. I only helped with the Garlic bread and suggested the
garlic addition to the jarred sauce.

As a quick fix I always have some jarred spaghetti sauce. This one is
a Classico 4 cheese blend. Charlotte added about 3/4 ts powdered
garlic to it which kicked just right against the sweetness.

Spaghetti boiled up of course.

I had some leftover bread from Saturday's bake in the fridge which I
sliced somewhat 'Texas Toast' sized making 6 slices. I took about 1/2
stick butter in the microwave (maybe a tad more, I was matching
leftover knobs up) and sprinkled that well with roasted garlic (1.5ts
likely). It's important to use roasted here for just that
quintessential version. That was softened in the microwave then spread
over the bread and baked to crispy. *

Looks good, tastes good!

I estimate 40cents of pasta and 1.50 for the sauce. I used 6 fairly
thick slices of bread (home made) at probably 20cents total. My added
garlic may have been 20 cents? Probably less but will roll with that
cost. The butter is generally sale priced to 2lbs/4$ so 25cents a stick
and we will call it 15cents worth.

..40+1.50+.20+.20+.15=2.45 for the meal or 82 cents split by 3 of us.
It's actually less as we will have leftovers of the spaghetti for 2
small lunches likely.

* This was started in the oven when it hit 275 and still heating to
350. Checked at 5 minutes when the temp was 350. We let it go another
3 minutes and it was ready for us, but another may want more browning.
as some may like it.

Old 14-06-2018, 12:39 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 18:29:41 -0500, cshenk wrote:

The butter is generally sale priced to 2lbs/4$ so 25cents a stick
and we will call it 15cents worth.

Don't quit your day job to take up math and cooking.

.40+1.50+.20+.20+.15=2.45 for the meal or 82 cents split by 3 of us.

.... or mastery of the English language.
Old 14-06-2018, 02:24 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 6:29:49 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:

Hi, moving this post over here.

--------this is from a Yahoo group local chat area.

Tonight I was finishing up some work at home so Charlotte took over for
most of it. I only helped with the Garlic bread and suggested the
garlic addition to the jarred sauce.

As a quick fix I always have some jarred spaghetti sauce. This one is
a Classico 4 cheese blend. Charlotte added about 3/4 ts powdered
garlic to it which kicked just right against the sweetness.

I've yet to encounter a spaghetti sauce that was ever improved by adding
anything to it.

The butter is generally sale priced to 2lbs/4$ so 25cents a stick
and we will call it 15cents worth.

I certainly hope whoever wrote this is not allowed to do any bookkeeping
at their place of employment.

To me, the only thing that sounded good was the garlic bread.
Old 14-06-2018, 02:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 18:24:50 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 6:29:49 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:

Hi, moving this post over here.

--------this is from a Yahoo group local chat area.

Tonight I was finishing up some work at home so Charlotte took over for
most of it. I only helped with the Garlic bread and suggested the
garlic addition to the jarred sauce.

As a quick fix I always have some jarred spaghetti sauce. This one is
a Classico 4 cheese blend. Charlotte added about 3/4 ts powdered
garlic to it which kicked just right against the sweetness.

I've yet to encounter a spaghetti sauce that was ever improved by adding
anything to it.

Are you saying that supermarket spaghetti sauce is perfect or that it
can't be saved?
Old 14-06-2018, 04:13 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I've yet to encounter a spaghetti sauce that was ever improved by adding
anything to it.

Are you saying that supermarket spaghetti sauce is perfect or that it
can't be saved?

The only decent supermarket spaghetti sauce I've encountered to ME
that is any good is Newman's Own organic marinara. I'm not an organic
nut by any means but his is really, really good.

Old 14-06-2018, 04:50 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I've yet to encounter a spaghetti sauce that was ever improved by adding
anything to it.

Are you saying that supermarket spaghetti sauce is perfect or that it
can't be saved?

The only decent supermarket spaghetti sauce I've encountered to ME
that is any good is Newman's Own organic marinara. I'm not an organic
nut by any means but his is really, really good.

All real, honest ingredients, so it IS possible:
"Diced organic tomatoes in organic tomato purée, water, organic extra
virgin olive oil, organic onion, organic basil, organic carrot purée,
organic garlic, crushed organic red pepper, ground organic fennel
seed, organic oregano, organic black pepper"
Old 14-06-2018, 11:53 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message
[...]

I got some of the P$$$t brand of pasta sauce at Fred Meyers. They seem to be
phasing out that brand. Clearance price was 42 cents. I got it for the cheap
factor and not so much the taste. It seems fine for a quick meal, especially
since none of us are big on eating pasta. I usually add a little plain
tomato sauce, more cheese and some herbs. Last time I add fresh basil and
Italian parsley that I grew. Also a bag of Trader Joe's frozen party
meatballs. Not bad for meatballs.

This will never be a favorite meal but it's cheap and quick to fix. I use
Tinkyada brown rice pasta.

Old 14-06-2018, 11:59 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 6:29:49 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:

Hi, moving this post over here.

--------this is from a Yahoo group local chat area.

Tonight I was finishing up some work at home so Charlotte took over for
most of it. I only helped with the Garlic bread and suggested the
garlic addition to the jarred sauce.

As a quick fix I always have some jarred spaghetti sauce. This one is
a Classico 4 cheese blend. Charlotte added about 3/4 ts powdered
garlic to it which kicked just right against the sweetness.

I've yet to encounter a spaghetti sauce that was ever improved by adding
anything to it.

Are you saying that supermarket spaghetti sauce is perfect or that it
can't be saved?

One that is super good is Amy's Organic. It's also expensive.

The worst I have ever tried is Muir Glen. Has a horrid, off taste. Weird
because their salsa is good.

That being said, I'm not a big pasta lover so the appeal to me of pasta is
quick and cheap. Plain tomato sauce even works for me if I want a cheap and
quick meal.

Old 14-06-2018, 12:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 7:39:08 PM UTC-4, Wild Bill Wharton wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 18:29:41 -0500, cshenk wrote:

The butter is generally sale priced to 2lbs/4$ so 25cents a stick
and we will call it 15cents worth.

Don't quit your day job to take up math and cooking.

.40+1.50+.20+.20+.15=2.45 for the meal or 82 cents split by 3 of us.

... or mastery of the English language.

What is wrong with his math? Should he have said 0.8166666666666666?

Old 14-06-2018, 12:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Jun 2018 03:59:21 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I've yet to encounter a spaghetti sauce that was ever improved by adding
anything to it.

Are you saying that supermarket spaghetti sauce is perfect or that it
can't be saved?

One that is super good is Amy's Organic. It's also expensive.

The worst I have ever tried is Muir Glen. Has a horrid, off taste. Weird
because their salsa is good.

That being said, I'm not a big pasta lover so the appeal to me of pasta is
quick and cheap. Plain tomato sauce even works for me if I want a cheap and
quick meal.

Italian cooking is French cooking for dummies.

Old 14-06-2018, 01:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

I like Prego roasted garlic sauce.
Old 14-06-2018, 05:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I've yet to encounter a spaghetti sauce that was ever improved by adding
anything to it.

Are you saying that supermarket spaghetti sauce is perfect or that it
can't be saved?

The only decent supermarket spaghetti sauce I've encountered to ME
that is any good is Newman's Own organic marinara. I'm not an organic
nut by any means but his is really, really good.

I've tried Newman's Own, found it no better or worse than any other
jarred.
Pasta sauce needn't be red. For us a great easy-peasy pasta
sauce is to saute an entire head of slivered garlic in evoo with some
Italian herbs. Toss with choice of pasta and top with grated cheese.
Serve with saw-seege and en-salad.
Old 15-06-2018, 12:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 18:29:41 -0500, cshenk wrote:

The butter is generally sale priced to 2lbs/4$, so 25cents a stick
and we will call it 15cents worth.

Don't quit your day job to take up math and cooking.

.40+1.50+.20+.20+.15=2.45 for the meal or 82 cents split by 3 of
us.

... or mastery of the English language.

What is wrong with his math? Should he have said 0.8166666666666666?

Snicker, some want the last dynopter added.

I averaged it out and this was simple stuff made by my kid, using a jar
and a little addition to make it better.

Gasp, I added the missing comma above.