Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Simple foods with local cost factors

wrote:

> On Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 7:29:49 PM UTC-4, cshenk wrote:
> > Hi, moving this post over here.
> >
> > --------this is from a Yahoo group local chat area.
> >
> > Tonight I was finishing up some work at home so Charlotte took over
> > for most of it. I only helped with the Garlic bread and suggested
> > the garlic addition to the jarred sauce.
> >
> > As a quick fix I always have some jarred spaghetti sauce. This one
> > is a Classico 4 cheese blend. Charlotte added about 3/4 ts powdered
> > garlic to it which kicked just right against the sweetness.
> >
> > Spaghetti boiled up of course.
> >
> > I had some leftover bread from Saturday's bake in the fridge which I
> > sliced somewhat 'Texas Toast' sized making 6 slices. I took about
> > 1/2 stick butter in the microwave (maybe a tad more, I was matching
> > leftover knobs up) and sprinkled that well with roasted garlic
> > (1.5ts likely). It's important to use roasted here for just that
> > quintessential version. That was softened in the microwave then
> > spread over the bread and baked to crispy. *
> >
> > Looks good, tastes good!
> >
> > I estimate 40cents of pasta and 1.50 for the sauce. I used 6 fairly
> > thick slices of bread (home made) at probably 20cents total. My
> > added garlic may have been 20 cents? Probably less but will roll
> > with that cost. The butter is generally sale priced to 2lbs/4$ so
> > 25cents a stick and we will call it 15cents worth.
> >
> > .40+1.50+.20+.20+.15=2.45 for the meal or 82 cents split by 3 of us.
> > It's actually less as we will have leftovers of the spaghetti for 2
> > small lunches likely.
> >
> > * This was started in the oven when it hit 275 and still heating to
> > 350. Checked at 5 minutes when the temp was 350. We let it go
> > another 3 minutes and it was ready for us, but another may want
> > more browning. as some may like it.

> Prego is thicker than Ragu, I used to like Classico with ripe olives
> in it.

Works well for me!

Today I'm making more sauce for such meals.

2 28oz cans (average 30mg sodium per 1/2 cup). One is sauce and the
other is diced.

Mexican oregano
Minced garlic
California Basil
Smoked black pepper

Pretty close to 2ts each.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> cshenk wrote:
>
> > Hi, moving this post over here.
> >
> > --------this is from a Yahoo group local chat area.
> >
> > Tonight I was finishing up some work at home so Charlotte took over
> > for most of it. I only helped with the Garlic bread and suggested
> > the garlic addition to the jarred sauce.
> >
> > As a quick fix I always have some jarred spaghetti sauce. This one
> > is a Classico 4 cheese blend. Charlotte added about 3/4 ts powdered
> > garlic to it which kicked just right against the sweetness.
> >
> > Spaghetti boiled up of course.
> >
> > I had some leftover bread from Saturday's bake in the fridge which I
> > sliced somewhat 'Texas Toast' sized making 6 slices. I took about
> > 1/2 stick butter in the microwave (maybe a tad more, I was matching
> > leftover knobs up) and sprinkled that well with roasted garlic
> > (1.5ts likely). It's important to use roasted here for just that
> > quintessential version. That was softened in the microwave then
> > spread over the bread and baked to crispy. *
> >
> > Looks good, tastes good!
> >
> > I estimate 40cents of pasta and 1.50 for the sauce. I used 6 fairly
> > thick slices of bread (home made) at probably 20cents total. My
> > added garlic may have been 20 cents? Probably less but will roll
> > with that cost. The butter is generally sale priced to 2lbs/4$ so
> > 25cents a stick and we will call it 15cents worth.
> >
> > .40+1.50+.20+.20+.15=2.45 for the meal or 82 cents split by 3 of us.
> > It's actually less as we will have leftovers of the spaghetti for 2
> > small lunches likely.
> >
> > * This was started in the oven when it hit 275 and still heating to
> > 350. Checked at 5 minutes when the temp was 350. We let it go
> > another 3 minutes and it was ready for us, but another may want
> > more browning. as some may like it.

> Minor correction. It should read 25cents worth of a stick and the
> calculation should use .25 vice .15. Sorry about being 10cents off.
> ==
>
> Oh noooooooooooo! The whole world caved in!!

LOL! You'd think so from some here!

==

Ain't that the truth!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:

> wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 7:29:49 PM UTC-4, cshenk wrote:
> > > Hi, moving this post over here.
> > >
> > > --------this is from a Yahoo group local chat area.
> > >
> > > Tonight I was finishing up some work at home so Charlotte took
> > > over for most of it. I only helped with the Garlic bread and
> > > suggested the garlic addition to the jarred sauce.
> > >
> > > As a quick fix I always have some jarred spaghetti sauce. This
> > > one is a Classico 4 cheese blend. Charlotte added about 3/4 ts
> > > powdered garlic to it which kicked just right against the
> > > sweetness.
> > >
> > > Spaghetti boiled up of course.
> > >
> > > I had some leftover bread from Saturday's bake in the fridge
> > > which I sliced somewhat 'Texas Toast' sized making 6 slices. I
> > > took about 1/2 stick butter in the microwave (maybe a tad more, I
> > > was matching leftover knobs up) and sprinkled that well with
> > > roasted garlic (1.5ts likely). It's important to use roasted
> > > here for just that quintessential version. That was softened in
> > > the microwave then spread over the bread and baked to crispy. *
> > >
> > > Looks good, tastes good!
> > >
> > > I estimate 40cents of pasta and 1.50 for the sauce. I used 6
> > > fairly thick slices of bread (home made) at probably 20cents
> > > total. My added garlic may have been 20 cents? Probably less
> > > but will roll with that cost. The butter is generally sale priced
> > > to 2lbs/4$ so 25cents a stick and we will call it 15cents worth.
> > >
> > > .40+1.50+.20+.20+.15=2.45 for the meal or 82 cents split by 3 of
> > > us. It's actually less as we will have leftovers of the
> > > spaghetti for 2 small lunches likely.
> > >
> > > * This was started in the oven when it hit 275 and still heating
> > > to 350. Checked at 5 minutes when the temp was 350. We let it go
> > > another 3 minutes and it was ready for us, but another may want
> > > more browning. as some may like it.

> > Prego is thicker than Ragu, I used to like Classico with ripe olives
> > in it.

> Works well for me!
>
> Today I'm making more sauce for such meals.
>
> 2 28oz cans (average 30mg sodium per 1/2 cup). One is sauce and the
> other is diced.
>
> Mexican oregano
> Minced garlic
> California Basil
> Smoked black pepper
>
> Pretty close to 2ts each.

Revised up on spices as it finished off.