Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT Trimmer

Anyone using a String Trimmer/Weed Whacker and is tired of lugging the
weight and dealing with fuel this is an excellent alternative:
https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-...=a ll_reviews
It'll do about a mile (2 hours) of weed whacking before the battery
needs charging, and weighs about half as much as my Echo pro model.
The weight was a big consideration for us as we need to carry it
pretty long distances from place to place. We don't think we will
ever go back to a 2 cycle trimmer. And this fully charges in about
two hours. This doesn't have quite the power of my Echo but is very
adequate for most jobs:
ps://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-LST136W-Lithium-Trimmer/product-reviews/B00I2F51SG/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_show_all_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=a ll_reviews
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 6:19:11 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> Anyone using a String Trimmer/Weed Whacker and is tired of lugging the
> weight and dealing with fuel this is an excellent alternative:
> https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-...=a ll_reviews

I've got a B&D 18 volt battery powered one. Someone else is doing my yard
this year and he's using a gas powered model.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 18:07:04 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 6:19:11 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> Anyone using a String Trimmer/Weed Whacker and is tired of lugging the
>> weight and dealing with fuel this is an excellent alternative:
>> https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-...=a ll_reviews
>>

>I've got a B&D 18 volt battery powered one. Someone else is doing my yard
>this year and he's using a gas powered model.

You had me confused for a moment, but you must mean petrol.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 8:27:03 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 18:07:04 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
> >I've got a B&D 18 volt battery powered one. Someone else is doing my yard
> >this year and he's using a gas powered model.

> You had me confused for a moment, but you must mean petrol.

It's called gas (gasoline) here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 11:27:00 +1000, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 18:07:04 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:
>
>>On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 6:19:11 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>>>
>>> Anyone using a String Trimmer/Weed Whacker and is tired of lugging the
>>> weight and dealing with fuel this is an excellent alternative:
>>> https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-...=a ll_reviews
>>>

>>I've got a B&D 18 volt battery powered one. Someone else is doing my yard
>>this year and he's using a gas powered model.

>You had me confused for a moment, but you must mean petrol.

Actually a 2 cycle, petrol/gasolene and oil... I have one, Echo, but
they are heavy and dealing with the fuel is a pain, and most
importantly with an electric there's no exhaust fumes right in your
face, also much quieter... no starting problems, no choke, no
flooding, just flip a switch. And the string feed system is quite
sophisticated, all automatic. My neighbor bought one and we tried it,
we bought one immediately, no going back. It arrived today, a
wonderful machine and no stinky fuel. Only thing is it's not quite as
powerful but heck, I'm not hacking bamboo. It's worth it just for the
weight difference alone, having to lug something all over this large
property every ounce counts, and it weighs about half as much. And
now when my wife wants to trim around the vegetable garden she doesn't
need me to start that fercocktah machine, now she simply flips a
switch and it runs... an amazing difference in every way.
And I like that there's no maintenence, no expensive tuneups. It
didn't cost much, half the price of the Echo, if it lasts three years
and dies I'm ahead of the game. The Echo needs a yearly tune up,
about $70 for greasing, new spark plug, carborator cleaning and
adjusting and a few other adjustments/settings. The electric trimmer
needs no more service than an electric pencil sharpener.... we've been
using our electric pencil sharpener nearly 30 years, all we ever do is
dump the shavings tray when it begins to overflow.
Okay, it's a much better string trimmer, I can't say more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/2018 9:07 PM, wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 6:19:11 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> Anyone using a String Trimmer/Weed Whacker and is tired of lugging the
>> weight and dealing with fuel this is an excellent alternative:

https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-...=a ll_reviews

> I've got a B&D 18 volt battery powered one. Someone else is doing my yard
> this year and he's using a gas powered model.

Probably the same as mine. For my needs it is fine. Came as a kit with
a leaf blower too. It is not good for clearing the entire lawn, but for
the deck and driveway it is great.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 19:08:00 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 8:27:03 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 18:07:04 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >I've got a B&D 18 volt battery powered one. Someone else is doing my yard
>> >this year and he's using a gas powered model.

>> You had me confused for a moment, but you must mean petrol.
>>

>It's called gas (gasoline) here.

Yes, I sort of knew that. But for a moment I was thinking of an LPG
bush wacker/whipper snipper/line trimmer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 22:51:46 -0400, wrote:

>On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 11:27:00 +1000, Bruce >
>wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 18:07:04 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-...=a ll_reviews

>>>I've got a B&D 18 volt battery powered one. Someone else is doing my yard
>>>this year and he's using a gas powered model.

>>You had me confused for a moment, but you must mean petrol.

>Actually a 2 cycle, petrol/gasolene and oil... I have one, Echo, but
>they are heavy and dealing with the fuel is a pain, and most
>importantly with an electric there's no exhaust fumes right in your
>face, also much quieter... no starting problems, no choke, no
>flooding, just flip a switch. And the string feed system is quite
>sophisticated, all automatic.

En electric one would be too weak for what I have to do. I also don't
use string for the same reason, but a metal blade.

Electric ones are for city ******s.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 23:38:14 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 6/12/2018 9:07 PM, wrote:
>> On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 6:19:11 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>>>
>>> Anyone using a String Trimmer/Weed Whacker and is tired of lugging the
>>> weight and dealing with fuel this is an excellent alternative:

https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-...=a ll_reviews

>> I've got a B&D 18 volt battery powered one. Someone else is doing my yard
>> this year and he's using a gas powered model.
>>

>Probably the same as mine. For my needs it is fine. Came as a kit with
>a leaf blower too.

No bum warmer included?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 21:51:07 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 19:19:06 -0400, wrote:
>
>> Anyone using a String Trimmer/Weed Whacker and is tired of lugging the
>> weight and dealing with fuel this is an excellent alternative:

https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-...=a ll_reviews

>Pbbt. That's the KitchenAide meat grinder of weed-wackers. That
>thing couldn't even cut the last of the those shriveled, wiry,
>decrepit pubes on your scrotum.
>
>AHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH!

Supermarket Stevie's right. That's a mickey mouse machine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 13:46:23 +1000, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 19:08:00 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:
>
>>On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 8:27:03 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>>
>>> On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 18:07:04 -0700 (PDT), "

>>> You had me confused for a moment, but you must mean petrol.
>>>

>>It's called gas (gasoline) here.

>Yes, I sort of knew that. But for a moment I was thinking of an LPG
>bush wacker/whipper snipper/line trimmer.

Brush cutter!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 11:47:43 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 22:51:46 -0400, wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 11:27:00 +1000, Bruce >
> >wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-...=a ll_reviews

> >>You had me confused for a moment, but you must mean petrol.

> >Actually a 2 cycle, petrol/gasolene and oil... I have one, Echo, but
> >they are heavy and dealing with the fuel is a pain, and most
> >importantly with an electric there's no exhaust fumes right in your
> >face, also much quieter... no starting problems, no choke, no
> >flooding, just flip a switch. And the string feed system is quite
> >sophisticated, all automatic.

> En electric one would be too weak for what I have to do. I also don't
> use string for the same reason, but a metal blade.
>
> Electric ones are for city ******s.

We've got both a string trimmer and one with a blade like a circular saw.
No point bring out the big guns for a little grass next to a flowerbed.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 03:04:28 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 11:47:43 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 22:51:46 -0400, wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-...=a ll_reviews

>> >Actually a 2 cycle, petrol/gasolene and oil... I have one, Echo, but
>> >they are heavy and dealing with the fuel is a pain, and most
>> >importantly with an electric there's no exhaust fumes right in your
>> >face, also much quieter... no starting problems, no choke, no
>> >flooding, just flip a switch. And the string feed system is quite
>> >sophisticated, all automatic.

>> En electric one would be too weak for what I have to do. I also don't
>> use string for the same reason, but a metal blade.
>>
>> Electric ones are for city ******s.

>We've got both a string trimmer and one with a blade like a circular saw.
>No point bring out the big guns for a little grass next to a flowerbed.

I agree. They're fine for light stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-06-12 10:51 PM, wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 11:27:00 +1000, Bruce >
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 18:07:04 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-...=a ll_reviews

>>> I've got a B&D 18 volt battery powered one. Someone else is doing my yard
>>> this year and he's using a gas powered model.

>> You had me confused for a moment, but you must mean petrol.

> Actually a 2 cycle, petrol/gasolene and oil... I have one, Echo, but
> they are heavy and dealing with the fuel is a pain, and most
> importantly with an electric there's no exhaust fumes right in your
> face, also much quieter... no starting problems, no choke, no
> flooding, just flip a switch.

I like my Echo weed whacker. I don't find the fuel mix to be a major
problem. I have a chain saw, a small tiller and the line trimmer that
all use the same mix. One of my concerns about a battery powered machine
is the battery life. It takes me a tank of fuel to do the regular
trimming around my place. I have the house, barn and shed to trim
around, two stone walls, the sidewalks and patio, dozens of trees and
two steams.

> And the string feed system is quite
> sophisticated, all automatic. My neighbor bought one and we tried it,
> we bought one immediately, no going back. It arrived today, a
> wonderful machine and no stinky fuel. Only thing is it's not quite as
> powerful but heck, I'm not hacking bamboo.

No bamboo, but one of the two streams through my property is rife with
cattails and I have to get down there and clear them out once or twice a
year. I put the steel blade on for that jump and it still takes a lot of
power to cut through the reeds, and there are wild roses growing along
the banks.

> The Echo needs a yearly tune up,
> about $70 for greasing, new spark plug, carborator cleaning and
> adjusting and a few other adjustments/settings. The electric trimmer
> needs no more service than an electric pencil sharpener.... we've been
> using our electric pencil sharpener nearly 30 years, all we ever do is > dump the shavings tray when it begins to overflow.

What were you doing to the machine that it needs annual tuneups. I have
had mine for close to 15 years and had the carb done only once. That
was the year I forgot to drain the old fuel before winter. It still
starts easily.

> Okay, it's a much better string trimmer, I can't say more.

If it weren't for the heavy growth that has to be cleared out of the
streams I would consider a good electric one, but I still worry about
the battery life.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-06-13 6:04 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 11:47:43 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:

>> En electric one would be too weak for what I have to do. I also don't
>> use string for the same reason, but a metal blade.
>>
>> Electric ones are for city ******s.

> We've got both a string trimmer and one with a blade like a circular saw.
> No point bring out the big guns for a little grass next to a flowerbed.

Maybe you've got the right idea there. I have to trim around the two
front sections of my property every time I mow. That involves going
around the house, two stone walls4 trees, a hedge, sidewalk, patio, dog
kennel, shed and along one side of the stream. Since it is done
frequently it could be done with a lower power machine. I can save
the rest of that stream and the other one and the other trees for a less
frequent trimming and leave the steel blade on for the heavy work.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 10:38:17 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Probably the same as mine. For my needs it is fine. Came as a kit with
> a leaf blower too. It is not good for clearing the entire lawn, but for
> the deck and driveway it is great.

Mine didn't come as a kit but the leaf blower is dying a rapid death.
This past Christmas I asked for a gift card and I bought a new lithium
powered blower at Northern Tool. It really gets the job done!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
>> On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 6:19:11 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>>>
>>> Anyone using a String Trimmer/Weed Whacker and is tired of lugging the
>>> weight and dealing with fuel this is an excellent alternative:

https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-...=a ll_reviews

>> I've got a B&D 18 volt battery powered one. Someone else is doing my yard
>> this year and he's using a gas powered model.
>>

>Probably the same as mine. For my needs it is fine. Came as a kit with
>a leaf blower too. It is not good for clearing the entire lawn, but for
>the deck and driveway it is great.

my Weed Eater XT-112 ("Twist and Edge") is 12 years old and still going
strong - for trimming grass & cutting weeds it's great - the twist-n-edge
feature leaves a bit to be desired though, or maybe I'm just not very
good at cutting straight

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 09:01:43 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 10:38:17 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> Probably the same as mine. For my needs it is fine. Came as a kit with
>> a leaf blower too. It is not good for clearing the entire lawn, but for
>> the deck and driveway it is great.
>>

>Mine didn't come as a kit but the leaf blower is dying a rapid death.
>This past Christmas I asked for a gift card and I bought a new lithium
>powered blower at Northern Tool. It really gets the job done!

I have a pro powered Echo leaf blower but rarely use it.... after the
leaves fall I ride over them with mulching blades as I mow grass and
they become fertilizer. If anyone does use a leaf blower make sure to
wear a respirator or at minimum a paper particulate mask.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-06-13 8:29 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-06-13 6:04 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 11:47:43 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:

>>> En electric one would be too weak for what I have to do. I also don't
>>> use string for the same reason, but a metal blade.
>>>
>>> Electric ones are for city ******s.

>> We've got both a string trimmer and one with a blade like a circular saw.
>> No point bring out the big guns for a little grass next to a flowerbed.
>>

> Maybe you've got the right idea there.Â* I have to trim around the two
> front sections of my property every time I mow. That involves going
> around the house, two stone walls4 trees, a hedge, sidewalk, patio, dog
> kennel, shed and along one side of the stream.Â* Since it is done
> frequently it could be done with a lower power machine.Â*Â*Â* I can save
> the rest of that stream and the other one and the other trees for a less
> frequent trimmingÂ* and leave the steel blade on for the heavy work.

I've yet to find and automatic string feed system that works. I even
found the system on my Stihl gas powered strimmer too frustrating and
replaced it with one where I plug in pre-cut lengths.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-06-13 1:47 PM, graham wrote:
> On 2018-06-13 8:29 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2018-06-13 6:04 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>> Maybe you've got the right idea there.Â* I have to trim around the two
>> front sections of my property every time I mow. That involves going
>> around the house, two stone walls4 trees, a hedge, sidewalk, patio,
>> dog kennel, shed and along one side of the stream.Â* Since it is done
>> frequently it could be done with a lower power machine.Â*Â*Â* I can save
>> the rest of that stream and the other one and the other trees for a
>> less frequent trimmingÂ* and leave the steel blade on for the heavy work.

> I've yet to find and automatic string feed system that works. I even
> found the system on my Stihl gas powered strimmer too frustrating and
> replaced it with one where I plug in pre-cut lengths.

Have you tried looking online for a video about it? I was doing my Echo
the wrong way for years. About a year ago I found an instructional video
about how to do it. It still gets bunged up once in a while, but it is
much better than it was with my old method. FWIW.. with the Echo, I
remove the spool from the head, cut about 12" of line, slip it through
the loop in the middle and slip the line though the eyelet and pull it
through until it you have equal lengths on each side. Put the spool
back into the head and then push it up and twist.... many times... as it
winds the line up in increments.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 11:27:00 +1000, Bruce >
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 18:07:04 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-...=a ll_reviews

>>> I've got a B&D 18 volt battery powered one. Someone else is doing my yard
>>> this year and he's using a gas powered model.

>> You had me confused for a moment, but you must mean petrol.

> Actually a 2 cycle, petrol/gasolene and oil... I have one, Echo, but
> they are heavy and dealing with the fuel is a pain, and most
> importantly with an electric there's no exhaust fumes right in your
> face, also much quieter... no starting problems, no choke, no
> flooding, just flip a switch. And the string feed system is quite
> sophisticated, all automatic. My neighbor bought one and we tried it,
> we bought one immediately, no going back. It arrived today, a
> wonderful machine and no stinky fuel. Only thing is it's not quite as
> powerful but heck, I'm not hacking bamboo. It's worth it just for the
> weight difference alone, having to lug something all over this large
> property every ounce counts, and it weighs about half as much. And
> now when my wife wants to trim around the vegetable garden she doesn't
> need me to start that fercocktah machine, now she simply flips a
> switch and it runs... an amazing difference in every way.
> And I like that there's no maintenence, no expensive tuneups. It
> didn't cost much, half the price of the Echo, if it lasts three years
> and dies I'm ahead of the game. The Echo needs a yearly tune up,
> about $70 for greasing, new spark plug, carborator cleaning and
> adjusting and a few other adjustments/settings. The electric trimmer
> needs no more service than an electric pencil sharpener.... we've been
> using our electric pencil sharpener nearly 30 years, all we ever do is
> dump the shavings tray when it begins to overflow.
> Okay, it's a much better string trimmer, I can't say more.

Popeye, yoose can also use it to trim yoose wife's pubes. Then yoose
won't have to do it with that echo gas powered fercocktah.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> No bamboo, but one of the two streams through my property is rife with
> cattails and I have to get down there and clear them out once or twice a
> year. I put the steel blade on for that jump and it still takes a lot of
> power to cut through the reeds, and there are wild roses growing along
> the banks.

It sounds like you're ruining a lovely ecosystem with a trimmer. Of
course, I know that's not the case, but I love cattails and wild roses
along a stream. I would even prefer them to damned near anything else.
But that's just me.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-06-14 2:49 PM, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> In article >, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>

>> No bamboo, but one of the two streams through my property is rife with
>> cattails and I have to get down there and clear them out once or twice a
>> year. I put the steel blade on for that jump and it still takes a lot of
>> power to cut through the reeds, and there are wild roses growing along
>> the banks.

> It sounds like you're ruining a lovely ecosystem with a trimmer. Of
> course, I know that's not the case, but I love cattails and wild roses
> along a stream. I would even prefer them to damned near anything else.
> But that's just me.

While it started as a natural stream it is now part of a municipal drain
that has to be kept clear to drain properly. The town gets it cleared
out every 10-15 years. The cattails clog it and cause flooding
upstream. It is a more pleasant ecosystem without those clogging weeds.