Old 12-06-2018, 05:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bacteria on kitchen towels

Yes, there are bacteria on your kitchen towel. No, they won't make you sick!

https://www.livescience.com/62789-ki...-bacteria.html

Old 12-06-2018, 05:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 11:17:19 AM UTC-5, graham wrote:

Yes, there are bacteria on your kitchen towel. No, they won't make you sick!

https://www.livescience.com/62789-ki...-bacteria.html

They're acting like this is new information. They've done tests many,
many years ago to prove that wet/damp kitchen towels have bacteria on
them.

Old 12-06-2018, 07:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/2018 12:32 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 11:17:19 AM UTC-5, graham wrote:

Yes, there are bacteria on your kitchen towel. No, they won't make you sick!

https://www.livescience.com/62789-ki...-bacteria.html

They're acting like this is new information. They've done tests many,
many years ago to prove that wet/damp kitchen towels have bacteria on
them.

True about the studies. It should be common sense to wash kitchen
towels frequently. Still, I'm not afraid to use the same kitchen towel
(for *drying my hands*) for a week. More important, IMHO, is washing
your hands. I do that before, during (prep) and after cooking.

Another not surprise from the article. If you have a large family/kids
going in and out of the kitchen, they're all going to be using that
towel at some point. So how's about you wash it more frequently?

I don't know about you folks but even as a single person I have a drawer
containing a number of clean, folded kitchen towels. It's called doing
"laundry once a week".

Jill
Old 12-06-2018, 08:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 09:32:19 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 11:17:19 AM UTC-5, graham wrote:

Yes, there are bacteria on your kitchen towel. No, they won't make you sick!

https://www.livescience.com/62789-ki...-bacteria.html

They're acting like this is new information. They've done tests many,
many years ago to prove that wet/damp kitchen towels have bacteria on
them.

I agree and that is part of the reason I like stuff to be washed in
the dishwasher
Old 12-06-2018, 08:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 1:49:56 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:

On 6/12/2018 12:32 PM, wrote:

On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 11:17:19 AM UTC-5, graham wrote:

https://www.livescience.com/62789-ki...-bacteria.html

They're acting like this is new information. They've done tests many,
many years ago to prove that wet/damp kitchen towels have bacteria on
them.

True about the studies. It should be common sense to wash kitchen
towels frequently. Still, I'm not afraid to use the same kitchen towel
(for *drying my hands*) for a week. More important, IMHO, is washing
your hands. I do that before, during (prep) and after cooking.

A hanging dish towel in my kitchen for hand drying for me, as well.
There's also paper towels and it's 50/50 which one I grab to dry my
hands. I simply cannot recall the last time I dried a dish to put
it away. It air dries and that's that.

Another not surprise from the article. If you have a large family/kids
going in and out of the kitchen, they're all going to be using that
towel at some point. So how's about you wash it more frequently?

If there were kids here I'd probably be changing that towel daily.

I don't know about you folks but even as a single person I have a drawer
containing a number of clean, folded kitchen towels. It's called doing
"laundry once a week".

Jill

I have to be careful when out shopping and get into the kitchen linen area
of a store. For some reason dish towels and dish clothes end up in my cart.
Heavens, I have a huge collection now so I try to steer clear. Hahahaha

Old 12-06-2018, 08:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 14:49:48 -0400, jmcquown
wrote:

True about the studies. It should be common sense to wash kitchen
towels frequently. Still, I'm not afraid to use the same kitchen towel
(for *drying my hands*) for a week. More important, IMHO, is washing
your hands. I do that before, during (prep) and after cooking.

Another not surprise from the article. If you have a large family/kids
going in and out of the kitchen, they're all going to be using that
towel at some point. So how's about you wash it more frequently?

I don't know about you folks but even as a single person I have a drawer
containing a number of clean, folded kitchen towels. It's called doing
"laundry once a week".

Sigh. Why can't we all be like Jill?
Old 12-06-2018, 08:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I don't know about you folks but even as a single person I have a drawer
containing a number of clean, folded kitchen towels. It's called doing
"laundry once a week".

Sigh. Why can't we all be like Jill?

Ok, I'll admit; I'm like Jill. I guess you just zipped past my post.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

True about the studies. It should be common sense to wash kitchen
towels frequently. Still, I'm not afraid to use the same kitchen towel
(for *drying my hands*) for a week. More important, IMHO, is washing
your hands. I do that before, during (prep) and after cooking.

Another not surprise from the article. If you have a large family/kids
going in and out of the kitchen, they're all going to be using that
towel at some point. So how's about you wash it more frequently?

I don't know about you folks but even as a single person I have a drawer
containing a number of clean, folded kitchen towels. It's called doing
"laundry once a week".

Sigh. Why can't we all be like Jill?

I'm better, I wash twice a week :P
Old 12-06-2018, 08:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I don't know about you folks but even as a single person I have a drawer
containing a number of clean, folded kitchen towels. It's called doing
"laundry once a week".

Sigh. Why can't we all be like Jill?

Ok, I'll admit; I'm like Jill. I guess you just zipped past my post.

That makes 2 perfect people, awesome!
Old 12-06-2018, 09:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Sigh. Why can't we all be like Jill?

Ok, I'll admit; I'm like Jill. I guess you just zipped past my post.

That makes 2 perfect people, awesome!

Stick close to us and some of our awesomeness might rub off onto you.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Sigh. Why can't we all be like Jill?

Ok, I'll admit; I'm like Jill. I guess you just zipped past my post.

That makes 2 perfect people, awesome!

Stick close to us and some of our awesomeness might rub off onto you.

You can't blame me for hoping!
Old 12-06-2018, 10:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/2018 12:32 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 11:17:19 AM UTC-5, graham wrote:

Yes, there are bacteria on your kitchen towel. No, they won't make you sick!

https://www.livescience.com/62789-ki...-bacteria.html

They're acting like this is new information. They've done tests many,
many years ago to prove that wet/damp kitchen towels have bacteria on
them.

We don't use them. The DW does the dishes and we use paper towels for
hands and wiping.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 17:00:12 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 6/12/2018 12:32 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 11:17:19 AM UTC-5, graham wrote:

Yes, there are bacteria on your kitchen towel. No, they won't make you sick!

https://www.livescience.com/62789-ki...-bacteria.html

They're acting like this is new information. They've done tests many,
many years ago to prove that wet/damp kitchen towels have bacteria on
them.

We don't use them. The DW does the dishes and we use paper towels for
hands and wiping.

You're so unsustainable!
Old 12-06-2018, 11:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 4:58:04 PM UTC-5, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Depending on how many
may get used, they are all gathered up at the end of the day and put
in a towel bin for laundering.

I have a bin for dish towels and dish cloths, too. When I get a load
they're then thrown in the washer.

We run through a separate cycle at
least once or twice a week using liquid laundry detergent and no
fabric softener.

No fabric softener in my kitchen linens either.

Paper towels 2 notbob General Cooking 6 02-04-2015 10:47 PM
Twililiger and towels. Bob Terwilliger[_1_] General Cooking 0 13-02-2013 02:58 PM
Hemp Tea Towels Goomba[_2_] General Cooking 20 11-11-2008 09:32 PM
Ribs and towels/cooler Jesse Skeens Barbecue 0 22-08-2004 11:30 PM
Kitchen towels with rack connection? John White Cooking Equipment 43 12-12-2003 06:05 PM