Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bacteria on kitchen towels

Yes, there are bacteria on your kitchen towel. No, they won't make you sick!

https://www.livescience.com/62789-ki...-bacteria.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 11:17:19 AM UTC-5, graham wrote:

> Yes, there are bacteria on your kitchen towel. No, they won't make you sick!
>
> https://www.livescience.com/62789-ki...-bacteria.html

They're acting like this is new information. They've done tests many,
many years ago to prove that wet/damp kitchen towels have bacteria on
them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/2018 12:32 PM, wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 11:17:19 AM UTC-5, graham wrote:
>>
>> Yes, there are bacteria on your kitchen towel. No, they won't make you sick!

https://www.livescience.com/62789-ki...-bacteria.html

> They're acting like this is new information. They've done tests many,
> many years ago to prove that wet/damp kitchen towels have bacteria on
> them.

True about the studies. It should be common sense to wash kitchen
towels frequently. Still, I'm not afraid to use the same kitchen towel
(for *drying my hands*) for a week. More important, IMHO, is washing
your hands. I do that before, during (prep) and after cooking.

Another not surprise from the article. If you have a large family/kids
going in and out of the kitchen, they're all going to be using that
towel at some point. So how's about you wash it more frequently?

I don't know about you folks but even as a single person I have a drawer
containing a number of clean, folded kitchen towels. It's called doing
"laundry once a week".

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 09:32:19 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 11:17:19 AM UTC-5, graham wrote:
>>
>> Yes, there are bacteria on your kitchen towel. No, they won't make you sick!
>>
>> https://www.livescience.com/62789-ki...-bacteria.html
>>

>They're acting like this is new information. They've done tests many,
>many years ago to prove that wet/damp kitchen towels have bacteria on
>them.

I agree and that is part of the reason I like stuff to be washed in
the dishwasher
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 1:49:56 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:

> On 6/12/2018 12:32 PM, wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 11:17:19 AM UTC-5, graham wrote:

https://www.livescience.com/62789-ki...-bacteria.html

> > They're acting like this is new information. They've done tests many,
> > many years ago to prove that wet/damp kitchen towels have bacteria on
> > them.
> >

> True about the studies. It should be common sense to wash kitchen
> towels frequently. Still, I'm not afraid to use the same kitchen towel
> (for *drying my hands*) for a week. More important, IMHO, is washing
> your hands. I do that before, during (prep) and after cooking.

A hanging dish towel in my kitchen for hand drying for me, as well.
There's also paper towels and it's 50/50 which one I grab to dry my
hands. I simply cannot recall the last time I dried a dish to put
it away. It air dries and that's that.

> Another not surprise from the article. If you have a large family/kids
> going in and out of the kitchen, they're all going to be using that
> towel at some point. So how's about you wash it more frequently?

If there were kids here I'd probably be changing that towel daily.

> I don't know about you folks but even as a single person I have a drawer
> containing a number of clean, folded kitchen towels. It's called doing
> "laundry once a week".
>
> Jill

I have to be careful when out shopping and get into the kitchen linen area
of a store. For some reason dish towels and dish clothes end up in my cart.
Heavens, I have a huge collection now so I try to steer clear. Hahahaha

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 14:49:48 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>True about the studies. It should be common sense to wash kitchen
>towels frequently. Still, I'm not afraid to use the same kitchen towel
>(for *drying my hands*) for a week. More important, IMHO, is washing
>your hands. I do that before, during (prep) and after cooking.
>
>Another not surprise from the article. If you have a large family/kids
>going in and out of the kitchen, they're all going to be using that
>towel at some point. So how's about you wash it more frequently?
>
>I don't know about you folks but even as a single person I have a drawer
>containing a number of clean, folded kitchen towels. It's called doing
>"laundry once a week".

Sigh. Why can't we all be like Jill?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 2:31:47 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 14:49:48 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
> >
> >I don't know about you folks but even as a single person I have a drawer
> >containing a number of clean, folded kitchen towels. It's called doing
> >"laundry once a week".

> Sigh. Why can't we all be like Jill?

Ok, I'll admit; I'm like Jill. I guess you just zipped past my post.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 05:31:44 +1000, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 14:49:48 -0400, jmcquown >
>wrote:
>
>>True about the studies. It should be common sense to wash kitchen
>>towels frequently. Still, I'm not afraid to use the same kitchen towel
>>(for *drying my hands*) for a week. More important, IMHO, is washing
>>your hands. I do that before, during (prep) and after cooking.
>>
>>Another not surprise from the article. If you have a large family/kids
>>going in and out of the kitchen, they're all going to be using that
>>towel at some point. So how's about you wash it more frequently?
>>
>>I don't know about you folks but even as a single person I have a drawer
>>containing a number of clean, folded kitchen towels. It's called doing
>>"laundry once a week".

>Sigh. Why can't we all be like Jill?

I'm better, I wash twice a week :P
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 12:46:15 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 2:31:47 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 14:49:48 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>> >
>> >I don't know about you folks but even as a single person I have a drawer
>> >containing a number of clean, folded kitchen towels. It's called doing
>> >"laundry once a week".

>> Sigh. Why can't we all be like Jill?
>>

>Ok, I'll admit; I'm like Jill. I guess you just zipped past my post.

That makes 2 perfect people, awesome!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 2:59:36 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 12:46:15 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
> >> Sigh. Why can't we all be like Jill?
> >>

> >Ok, I'll admit; I'm like Jill. I guess you just zipped past my post.

> That makes 2 perfect people, awesome!

Stick close to us and some of our awesomeness might rub off onto you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 13:20:35 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 2:59:36 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

>> >Ok, I'll admit; I'm like Jill. I guess you just zipped past my post.

>> That makes 2 perfect people, awesome!
>>

>Stick close to us and some of our awesomeness might rub off onto you.

You can't blame me for hoping!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/2018 12:32 PM, wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 11:17:19 AM UTC-5, graham wrote:
>>
>> Yes, there are bacteria on your kitchen towel. No, they won't make you sick!

https://www.livescience.com/62789-ki...-bacteria.html

> They're acting like this is new information. They've done tests many,
> many years ago to prove that wet/damp kitchen towels have bacteria on
> them.

We don't use them. The DW does the dishes and we use paper towels for
hands and wiping.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 17:00:12 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 6/12/2018 12:32 PM, wrote:
>> On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 11:17:19 AM UTC-5, graham wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, there are bacteria on your kitchen towel. No, they won't make you sick!

https://www.livescience.com/62789-ki...-bacteria.html

>> They're acting like this is new information. They've done tests many,
>> many years ago to prove that wet/damp kitchen towels have bacteria on
>> them.
>>

>We don't use them. The DW does the dishes and we use paper towels for
>hands and wiping.

You're so unsustainable!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 4:58:04 PM UTC-5, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Depending on how many
> may get used, they are all gathered up at the end of the day and put
> in a towel bin for laundering.

I have a bin for dish towels and dish cloths, too. When I get a load
they're then thrown in the washer.

> We run through a separate cycle at
> least once or twice a week using liquid laundry detergent and no
> fabric softener.

No fabric softener in my kitchen linens either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/2018 10:34 AM, Sqwertz wrote:

> NEWS FLASH: Bacteria Is Everywhere.

I thought this was a well known fact.

You mean, in this cooking group, some ppl did NOT know this? WTF is
sourdough bread. Lambic beer? I'm sure other's can provide examples.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 5:00:16 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 6/12/2018 12:32 PM, wrote:
> > On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 11:17:19 AM UTC-5, graham wrote:
> >>
> >> Yes, there are bacteria on your kitchen towel. No, they won't make you sick!

https://www.livescience.com/62789-ki...-bacteria.html

> > They're acting like this is new information. They've done tests many,
> > many years ago to prove that wet/damp kitchen towels have bacteria on
> > them.
> >

> We don't use them. The DW does the dishes and we use paper towels for
> hands and wiping.

Eh. I just use an old shop rag. I figure the oil and solvents
will kill most bacteria that could hurt me.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-06-13 12:32 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 5:00:16 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

https://www.livescience.com/62789-ki...-bacteria.html

>>> They're acting like this is new information. They've done tests many,
>>> many years ago to prove that wet/damp kitchen towels have bacteria on
>>> them.
>>>

>> We don't use them. The DW does the dishes and we use paper towels for
>> hands and wiping.

> Eh. I just use an old shop rag. I figure the oil and solvents
> will kill most bacteria that could hurt me.

I count on building up my resistance to bacteria through constant exposure.

Paper towels 2 notbob General Cooking 6 02-04-2015 10:47 PM
Twililiger and towels. Bob Terwilliger[_1_] General Cooking 0 13-02-2013 02:58 PM
Hemp Tea Towels Goomba[_2_] General Cooking 20 11-11-2008 09:32 PM
Ribs and towels/cooler Jesse Skeens Barbecue 0 22-08-2004 11:30 PM
Kitchen towels with rack connection? John White Cooking Equipment 43 12-12-2003 06:05 PM