Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default "How Ketchup Revolutionized How Food Is Grown, Processed and Regulated"

By Amy Bentley,

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innov...ted-180969230/

From the last third:

....Early on, ketchup functioned as a great equalizer, with a €śspecial and unprecedented ability to provide something for everyone.€ť Tomato ketchup became €śentrenched as the primary and most popular of condimental sauces, its appeal to Americans deep and widespread,€ť wrote food historian Elizabeth Rozin, who called it the €śEsperanto of cuisine.€ť Ketchup functioned as a class leveler. Regardless of income or education, Americans could drop into a roadside diner or barbeque joint. Affordable to most, a burger and fries spiked with ketchup was a democratic, delicious lowest common denominator meal. Today ketchups appeal is in part because it embodies principles that Americans prize including consistency, value, and cleanliness. Moreover ketchups use, noted Rozin, was shaped by foods and meals that are perceived as €śAmerican€ť in their preparation and presentation: think hamburgers and fries, €śballpark€ť foods, fast food in general.

The rest of the world, for better or worse, regards ketchup as emblematic of U.S. cuisine, too€”and the condiment continues to shape food everywhere it goes. In Japan, people love a cuisine known as yoshoku, which they also sometimes call €śWestern Food.€ť Yoshoku restaurants use a lot of ketchup. They serve a dish called naporitan, made of cooked spaghetti that is rinsed in cold water, then stir-fried with vegetables in ketchup. Omu rice is an omelet lying over a mound of ketchup-flavored rice. The hambaagu is a Japanese version of a hamburger patty, usually served bunless. Swedes love €śDepression spaghetti€ť€”ketchup poured over pasta as a sauce, as many Americans did during the 1930s and probably still do...

(snip)

About the author:

https://steinhardt.nyu.edu/faculty/Amy_Bentley

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/11/2018 11:40 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "notbob" > wrote in message
>> On 6/11/2018 5:00 PM, wrote:
>>
>>> The rest of the world, for better or worse, regards ketchup as
>>> emblematic of U.S. cuisine.....

>> This, despite the fact that "salsa" has replace ketchup as the number
>> one condiment in the USA.
>>
>> Also, both contain waaaaay too much sugar.Â*
>>
>> nb

> Salsa shouldn't contain sugar.

Pace and Tostito's do not.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 07:56:23 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 6/11/2018 11:40 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> This, despite the fact that "salsa" has replace ketchup as the number
>>> one condiment in the USA.
>>>
>>> Also, both contain waaaaay too much sugar.*
>>>
>>> nb

>> Salsa shouldn't contain sugar.

>Pace and Tostito's do not.

Tostitos Chunky Salsa: 2g per 33g
Pace Salsa: 1g per 30ml
Heinz Tomato Ketchup Salsa: 4g per 17g

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 08:17:26 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 6/12/2018 8:02 AM, Bruce wrote:

Ketchup is actually an Oriental condiment only originally they had no
tomatoes but they used several different recipes.

I've wondered if that poll is not a skewed Mexican conspiracy taken in
the TexMex border towns because the fast food burger and fries joints
in the US don't serve salsa, but they sure serve a giant super tanker
load of ketchup.
I've tried it and I don't like salsa on a burger and especially not on
fries. I like salsa but on corn chips/nachos. I've only seen salsa
served at a Mexican restaurant. Next yoose at the market compare the
salsa display to the ketchup display, no comparison... salsa takes up
a couple three feet of shelf at most, ketchup takes up at least 1/4 of
an aisle with all the brands and sizes. And besides the national
brands a lot of store brand ketchup is sold, I've not seen store brand
salsa, perhaps in the southwest markets. A tiny jar of salsa costs
more than a giant economy size of Heinz red. I rarely have salsa at
home but I always have ketchup in the fridge. I rarely buy salsa but
during tomato season I prepare my own, far better than the popular
commercial brands. I remember when I lived in So Cal I'd see gallon
jugs of salsa in the market fridge and I once bought a jug, it was
watery and tasteless.

>>> Pace and Tostito's do not.

>> Tostitos Chunky Salsa: 2g per 33g
>> Pace Salsa: 1g per 30ml
>> Heinz Tomato Ketchup Salsa: 4g per 17g
>>

>Not listed as an added ingredient

I don't think they need to when it's less than 1%.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 08:17:26 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 6/12/2018 8:02 AM, Bruce wrote:

>>> Pace and Tostito's do not.

>> Tostitos Chunky Salsa: 2g per 33g
>> Pace Salsa: 1g per 30ml
>> Heinz Tomato Ketchup Salsa: 4g per 17g
>>

>Not listed as an added ingredient

So? Anyway, they have a lot less sugar than Heinz.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> I'm sure you mean added sugar. Ripe tomatoes contain quite a bit of
> sugar but those harvested for salsa are not fully ripe so I'm sure
> some small quantity of sugar is added, probably corn syrup.

>>> Tostitos Chunky Salsa: 2g per 33g
>>> Pace Salsa: 1g per 30ml
>>> Heinz Tomato Ketchup Salsa: 4g per 17g

>> I'd be disappointed if tomatoes didn't contain natural sugars. Most
>> fruits do! (can't think of one, off the top of my head, that doesn't)

Ahh, Popeye the biologist. I bet yoose knows everything about everything.

> I'm sure every plant contains sugar... nearly every day I stop to
> watch cows with giant udders munching sweet greenery.

Wow Popeye, now yoose really found yooself some long thick nipples.

Do yoose also shave the cow's vaginas before yoose mount them?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 6/12/2018 8:02 AM, Bruce wrote:

>>> Pace and Tostito's do not.

>> Tostitos Chunky Salsa: 2g per 33g
>> Pace Salsa: 1g per 30ml
>> Heinz Tomato Ketchup Salsa: 4g per 17g
>>

> Not listed as an added ingredient

Exactly. Tomatoes contain natural sugar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 02:04:35 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

>>> Tostitos Chunky Salsa: 2g per 33g
>>> Pace Salsa: 1g per 30ml
>>> Heinz Tomato Ketchup Salsa: 4g per 17g
>>>

>> Not listed as an added ingredient

>Exactly. Tomatoes contain natural sugar.

Which is why salsa contains sugar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I like Taco Bell jar salsa but can't find it now, surely they didn't quit making it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/13/2018 10:18 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

> taco Bell salsa was the worst commercial stuff I'd ever tasted.

As much as I despise "fast food", I gotta agree with Chris Porter on
this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuBGPylPVIU

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 02:04:35 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>>> Not listed as an added ingredient

>>Exactly. Tomatoes contain natural sugar.

> Which is why salsa contains sugar.

But it's not added sugar. There is sugar in all fruits and veggies.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Jun 2018 19:41:59 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 02:04:35 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>>Exactly. Tomatoes contain natural sugar.

>> Which is why salsa contains sugar.

>But it's not added sugar. There is sugar in all fruits and veggies.

Judge Ed said that certain brands don't contain sugar. I said that's
nonsense. I never said sugar was an added ingredient.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 15, 2018 at 1:46:19 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jun 2018 19:41:59 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

> >"Bruce" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >> On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 02:04:35 -0700, "Julie Bove"

> >> Which is why salsa contains sugar.

> >But it's not added sugar. There is sugar in all fruits and veggies.

> Judge Ed said that certain brands don't contain sugar. I said that's
> nonsense. I never said sugar was an added ingredient.

Ed meant added sugar. If you weren't such a pillock, you wouldn't
have quibbled about that.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Jun 2018 03:12:56 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Friday, June 15, 2018 at 1:46:19 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Thu, 14 Jun 2018 19:41:59 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>

>> >"Bruce" > wrote in message
>> .. .

>> >But it's not added sugar. There is sugar in all fruits and veggies.

>> Judge Ed said that certain brands don't contain sugar. I said that's
>> nonsense. I never said sugar was an added ingredient.

>Ed meant added sugar. If you weren't such a pillock, you wouldn't
>have quibbled about that.

Sugar is sugar, whether it's in coca cola or in orange juice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> Sugar is sugar, whether it's in coca cola or in orange juice.

And only old RFC ppl here think it's so evil.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Jun 2018 12:00:16 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>>
>> Sugar is sugar, whether it's in coca cola or in orange juice.

>And only old RFC ppl here think it's so evil.

It is. There's a lot of crap in cola. But sugarwise, oj is no beter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Jun 2018 17:38:37 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle

writes:
>>Bruce wrote:
>>>
>>> Sugar is sugar, whether it's in coca cola or in orange juice.

>>And only old RFC ppl here think it's so evil.

>I wouldn't say evil, but eating too much of it (and it doesn't take
>much before you get to too much) can lead to metabolic disease through
>both indirect means such as the effects of obesity as well as directly
>by dysregulation of lipid and carbohydrate metabolism... but you already
>knew that.

You eat coca cola? Just when you think you know a culture...