Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tough radishes

I know this isn't a gardening group but I thought someone here might know. I
am growing English Breakfast radishes. I have grown them before with no
problems. We haven't had any really hot weather yet. Leaves came on quickly.
I tried eating a couple a few weeks ago. While tender and flavorful, they
were toothpick skinny. So I let them go but now it's to the point where a
few have gone to seed. But they're still not right! Angela and I pulled some
up and tried to eat them. Couldn't. Now they're about the width of three
round toothpicks. Length seems right. But... We could not bite into them.
They are very woody and tough. So we just sucked the flavor out and tossed
them.

What would cause this? Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Jun 2018 22:11:09 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I know this isn't a gardening group but I thought someone here might know. I
>am growing English Breakfast radishes. I have grown them before with no
>problems. We haven't had any really hot weather yet. Leaves came on quickly.
>I tried eating a couple a few weeks ago. While tender and flavorful, they
>were toothpick skinny. So I let them go but now it's to the point where a
>few have gone to seed. But they're still not right! Angela and I pulled some
>up and tried to eat them. Couldn't. Now they're about the width of three
>round toothpicks. Length seems right. But... We could not bite into them.
>They are very woody and tough. So we just sucked the flavor out and tossed
>them.
>
>What would cause this? Thanks!

Awful growing conditions; poor soil and improper watering. Radishes
mature quickly, typically from planted seeds they are ready to harvest
in about 3-4 weeks... if left much longer they become woody. Radishes
are also a cool weather crop, too hot and too much sun and they do
poorly. Radishes should have been planted three months ago.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> I know this isn't a gardening group but I thought someone here might know. I
> am growing English Breakfast radishes. I have grown them before with no
> problems. We haven't had any really hot weather yet. Leaves came on quickly.
> I tried eating a couple a few weeks ago. While tender and flavorful, they
> were toothpick skinny. So I let them go but now it's to the point where a
> few have gone to seed. But they're still not right! Angela and I pulled some
> up and tried to eat them. Couldn't. Now they're about the width of three
> round toothpicks. Length seems right. But... We could not bite into them.
> They are very woody and tough. So we just sucked the flavor out and tossed
> them.
>
> What would cause this? Thanks!

I do know radishes. Tough and woody and also gone to seed? They
are old and done growing. If they matured small, you probably
planted them too close together. As you might know radishes do
best in cooler weather....spring and fall.

I've grown them many times. Not only for the radish leaves and
bulbs, they make good ground cover in your garden to shade and
help prevent the soil from drying out. They pop up in no time and
shallow roots don't interfere with your other garden plants.

If you like to eat radishes (and again...the leaves are good to
add to a salad). Don't just plant them in the spring once. They
grow and mature quickly. Best to plant a new batch every 2 weeks
or so. As they grow shallow, use them for soil shade too. Just
sprinkle seeds over your garden every few weeks. Once they
sprout, thin them with scissors ....don't want a cluster to grow
together as that will inhibit bulb growth.

Radishes are about the easiest thing to grow, imo.

Your radishes matured completely but the bulbs stayed small? You
didn't thin them when the sprouts first popped out of the soil.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sun, 10 Jun 2018 22:11:09 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>I know this isn't a gardening group but I thought someone here might know.
>>am growing English Breakfast radishes. I have grown them before with no
>>problems. We haven't had any really hot weather yet. Leaves came on
>>quickly.
>>I tried eating a couple a few weeks ago. While tender and flavorful, they
>>were toothpick skinny. So I let them go but now it's to the point where a
>>few have gone to seed. But they're still not right! Angela and I pulled
>>some
>>up and tried to eat them. Couldn't. Now they're about the width of three
>>round toothpicks. Length seems right. But... We could not bite into them.
>>They are very woody and tough. So we just sucked the flavor out and tossed
>>them.
>>
>>What would cause this? Thanks!

> Awful growing conditions; poor soil and improper watering. Radishes
> mature quickly, typically from planted seeds they are ready to harvest
> in about 3-4 weeks... if left much longer they become woody. Radishes
> are also a cool weather crop, too hot and too much sun and they do
> poorly. Radishes should have been planted three months ago.

We didn't start getting warm weather until about May. Couldn't have planted
them any sooner as it was still down to freezing at night.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I know this isn't a gardening group but I thought someone here might
>> know. I
>> am growing English Breakfast radishes. I have grown them before with no
>> problems. We haven't had any really hot weather yet. Leaves came on
>> quickly.
>> I tried eating a couple a few weeks ago. While tender and flavorful, they
>> were toothpick skinny. So I let them go but now it's to the point where a
>> few have gone to seed. But they're still not right! Angela and I pulled
>> some
>> up and tried to eat them. Couldn't. Now they're about the width of three
>> round toothpicks. Length seems right. But... We could not bite into them.
>> They are very woody and tough. So we just sucked the flavor out and
>> tossed
>> them.
>>
>> What would cause this? Thanks!

> I do know radishes. Tough and woody and also gone to seed? They
> are old and done growing. If they matured small, you probably
> planted them too close together. As you might know radishes do
> best in cooler weather....spring and fall.
>
> I've grown them many times. Not only for the radish leaves and
> bulbs, they make good ground cover in your garden to shade and
> help prevent the soil from drying out. They pop up in no time and
> shallow roots don't interfere with your other garden plants.
>
> If you like to eat radishes (and again...the leaves are good to
> add to a salad). Don't just plant them in the spring once. They
> grow and mature quickly. Best to plant a new batch every 2 weeks
> or so. As they grow shallow, use them for soil shade too. Just
> sprinkle seeds over your garden every few weeks. Once they
> sprout, thin them with scissors ....don't want a cluster to grow
> together as that will inhibit bulb growth.
>
> Radishes are about the easiest thing to grow, imo.
>
> Your radishes matured completely but the bulbs stayed small? You
> didn't thin them when the sprouts first popped out of the soil.

Hmmm... I've never thinned them before. I will pull them up and try to
replant.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 10 Jun 2018 22:11:09 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I know this isn't a gardening group but I thought someone here might
>> know. I
>> am growing English Breakfast radishes. I have grown them before with no
>> problems. We haven't had any really hot weather yet. Leaves came on
>> quickly.
>> I tried eating a couple a few weeks ago. While tender and flavorful, they
>> were toothpick skinny. So I let them go but now it's to the point where a
>> few have gone to seed. But they're still not right! Angela and I pulled
>> some
>> up and tried to eat them. Couldn't. Now they're about the width of three
>> round toothpicks. Length seems right. But... We could not bite into them.
>> They are very woody and tough. So we just sucked the flavor out and
>> tossed
>> them.
>>
>> What would cause this? Thanks!

> Don't you have a professional 365x7x24 gardner? For ****s sake,
> make him do some work to earn his room and board. Why ask us to
> solve your problems? You've made it clear hundreds of times that
> our advice is useless anyway.

He does specific things. Growing vegetables isn't one of them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 11, 2018 at 1:33:14 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> >
> > Don't you have a professional 365x7x24 gardner? For ****s sake,
> > make him do some work to earn his room and board. Why ask us to
> > solve your problems? You've made it clear hundreds of times that
> > our advice is useless anyway.

Thank you!

> He does specific things. Growing vegetables isn't one of them.

Just 'ho'ing.'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Jun 2018 11:32:53 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 10 Jun 2018 22:11:09 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> I know this isn't a gardening group but I thought someone here might
>>> know. I
>>> am growing English Breakfast radishes. I have grown them before with no
>>> problems. We haven't had any really hot weather yet. Leaves came on
>>> quickly.
>>> I tried eating a couple a few weeks ago. While tender and flavorful, they
>>> were toothpick skinny. So I let them go but now it's to the point where a
>>> few have gone to seed. But they're still not right! Angela and I pulled
>>> some
>>> up and tried to eat them. Couldn't. Now they're about the width of three
>>> round toothpicks. Length seems right. But... We could not bite into them.
>>> They are very woody and tough. So we just sucked the flavor out and
>>> tossed
>>> them.
>>>
>>> What would cause this? Thanks!

>> Don't you have a professional 365x7x24 gardner? For ****s sake,
>> make him do some work to earn his room and board. Why ask us to
>> solve your problems? You've made it clear hundreds of times that
>> our advice is useless anyway.

>He does specific things. Growing vegetables isn't one of them.

Puh-leez... the only planting your gardener does is in your personal
orifices... there isn't a woman alive who lets her gardner live rent
free unless he's regularly giving her his big horny dick. LOL I'd bet
you're not allergic to tube steak.
Good for you, Julie,,, I bet your ex wasn't doing you for years, he
was unable.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Jun 2018 11:29:25 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 10 Jun 2018 22:11:09 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>I know this isn't a gardening group but I thought someone here might know.
>>>am growing English Breakfast radishes. I have grown them before with no
>>>problems. We haven't had any really hot weather yet. Leaves came on
>>>quickly.
>>>I tried eating a couple a few weeks ago. While tender and flavorful, they
>>>were toothpick skinny. So I let them go but now it's to the point where a
>>>few have gone to seed. But they're still not right! Angela and I pulled
>>>some
>>>up and tried to eat them. Couldn't. Now they're about the width of three
>>>round toothpicks. Length seems right. But... We could not bite into them.
>>>They are very woody and tough. So we just sucked the flavor out and tossed
>>>them.
>>>
>>>What would cause this? Thanks!

>> Awful growing conditions; poor soil and improper watering. Radishes
>> mature quickly, typically from planted seeds they are ready to harvest
>> in about 3-4 weeks... if left much longer they become woody. Radishes
>> are also a cool weather crop, too hot and too much sun and they do
>> poorly. Radishes should have been planted three months ago.

>We didn't start getting warm weather until about May. Couldn't have planted
>them any sooner as it was still down to freezing at night.

You plant them 4 to 6 weeks before the average date of the last frost.

https://www.almanac.com/plant/radishes

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 11 Jun 2018 11:29:25 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

> wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Sun, 10 Jun 2018 22:11:09 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> Awful growing conditions; poor soil and improper watering. Radishes
>>> mature quickly, typically from planted seeds they are ready to harvest
>>> in about 3-4 weeks... if left much longer they become woody. Radishes
>>> are also a cool weather crop, too hot and too much sun and they do
>>> poorly. Radishes should have been planted three months ago.

>>We didn't start getting warm weather until about May. Couldn't have
>>planted
>>them any sooner as it was still down to freezing at night.

> You plant them 4 to 6 weeks before the average date of the last frost.
>
> https://www.almanac.com/plant/radishes

Our weather was not normal this year. I would normally have planted in
March. Was still too cold.

Radishes Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 4 01-06-2013 04:07 AM
Cooked radishes Virginia Tadrzynski[_2_] General Cooking 13 31-01-2010 09:37 PM
Braised Radishes maxine in ri General Cooking 0 31-05-2009 01:30 AM
A rumble of radishes maxine in ri General Cooking 14 30-05-2009 02:00 PM
Cooked radishes biig General Cooking 3 09-06-2005 05:27 PM