Old 11-06-2018, 12:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Shortage of fresh ginger?

I've been making tea with fresh ginger. Have been getting it at PCC for some
time. It was the cheapest and freshest source. PCC is a local chain similar
to Whole Foods. Had to get it via delivery because the two stores closest to
me never had much at one time but the one that delivers used to have a lot
of it. But now?

Have been having trouble finding it. If a store has any at all, it's a small
amount and not fresh. Also, a lot of what I'm seeing seems to come from
Mexico. The "hands" are much larger and not quite the same shape and the
flavor is not as strong.

I spotted it at Costco but didn't need any at the time. Went back to buy
some later. They had none. It's still listed on their computer but they
don't know when they will get it again.

Last order to PCC showed a major price increase and they placed a limit on
how much I could buy.

Is there a shortage for some reason? Or is it just a seasonal item?

Old 11-06-2018, 03:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

I buy ginger by the pounds, all the time. I have no troubles finding it.
If there is an Asian or Indian grocer nearby, you should have no issues
getting a larger quantity, plus, its usually FAR cheaper per pound than
chain grocers. Fresher, too.

Old 11-06-2018, 03:25 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Jun 2018 02:21:51 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
wrote:

Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

getting a larger quantity, plus, itís usually FAR cheaper per pound than
chain grocers. Fresher, too.

But it may have been grown with human manure.

Old 11-06-2018, 06:20 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jinx the Minx" wrote in message
news
Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

Don't know of any Asian groceries near here but we have a large Asian
population so most of the stores sell a lot of Asian stuff. I tried Central
Market as they have the best selection of Asian stuff here but they were out
of ginger. Did not notice any at the Indian grocery but I may have gone on a
bad day. They were low on produce and I was told that they only restock once
a week. Winco was low on produce too! Have seen ginger there but not
refrigerated. Did not have any yesterday. Were out of some other things that
I wanted or only had a little and it wasn't fresh. Example, there were like
5 zucchini and they looked to have gotten in a knife fight. Yellow squash
were mushy. They did have organic but the price was twice as high.

Old 11-06-2018, 06:20 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
On Sun, 10 Jun 2018 16:21:23 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:

Have been having trouble finding it.

It's just one crisis after another.

How is it a crisis?

Old 11-06-2018, 02:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

You can say that about most produce.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

Organic manure, sure, it exists.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

They must be sending it all to Ontario. There's always a lot of really
fresh stuff here.

Doris
Old 11-06-2018, 07:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 10 Jun 2018 22:20:41 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
On Sun, 10 Jun 2018 16:21:23 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:

Have been having trouble finding it.

It's just one crisis after another.

How is it a crisis?

You often post when you can't find something once, putting 10X as
much effort into posting about it and making excuses then you do
checking another store.

There are probably 10+ stores in a 7 mile radius of your home that
have ginger in stock. You didn't even physically check any stores.
You're right, it's not a crisis, so stop making a big deal out of it
and solve your petty problem.

Oh but I did check the stores.

Old 11-06-2018, 07:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 11, 2018 at 1:28:17 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove says:

ME! ME! ME! ME! ME! ME!
Old 11-06-2018, 10:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Jun 2018 11:27:56 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"tert in seattle" wrote in message
news
writes:
[...]

there was plenty at my Fred Meyer on Saturday

I usually go to the one in Shoreline but I haven't been there for a few
weeks. I have seen ginger there but IIRC, it was expensive and not so good
looking.

Like all produce fresh ginger is seasonal... when you see it buy a
bunch and freeze it.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

writes:
[...]

Then it won't be fresh. I need fresh.