Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Shortage of fresh ginger?

I've been making tea with fresh ginger. Have been getting it at PCC for some
time. It was the cheapest and freshest source. PCC is a local chain similar
to Whole Foods. Had to get it via delivery because the two stores closest to
me never had much at one time but the one that delivers used to have a lot
of it. But now?

Have been having trouble finding it. If a store has any at all, it's a small
amount and not fresh. Also, a lot of what I'm seeing seems to come from
Mexico. The "hands" are much larger and not quite the same shape and the
flavor is not as strong.

I spotted it at Costco but didn't need any at the time. Went back to buy
some later. They had none. It's still listed on their computer but they
don't know when they will get it again.

Last order to PCC showed a major price increase and they placed a limit on
how much I could buy.

Is there a shortage for some reason? Or is it just a seasonal item?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove > wrote:
> I've been making tea with fresh ginger. Have been getting it at PCC for some
> time. It was the cheapest and freshest source. PCC is a local chain similar
> to Whole Foods. Had to get it via delivery because the two stores closest to
> me never had much at one time but the one that delivers used to have a lot
> of it. But now?
>
> Have been having trouble finding it. If a store has any at all, it's a small
> amount and not fresh. Also, a lot of what I'm seeing seems to come from
> Mexico. The "hands" are much larger and not quite the same shape and the
> flavor is not as strong.
>
> I spotted it at Costco but didn't need any at the time. Went back to buy
> some later. They had none. It's still listed on their computer but they
> don't know when they will get it again.
>
> Last order to PCC showed a major price increase and they placed a limit on
> how much I could buy.
>
> Is there a shortage for some reason? Or is it just a seasonal item?

I buy ginger by the pounds, all the time. I have no troubles finding it.
If there is an Asian or Indian grocer nearby, you should have no issues
getting a larger quantity, plus, its usually FAR cheaper per pound than
chain grocers. Fresher, too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Jun 2018 02:21:51 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> wrote:

>Julie Bove > wrote:
>> I've been making tea with fresh ginger. Have been getting it at PCC for some
>> time. It was the cheapest and freshest source. PCC is a local chain similar
>> to Whole Foods. Had to get it via delivery because the two stores closest to
>> me never had much at one time but the one that delivers used to have a lot
>> of it. But now?
>>
>> Have been having trouble finding it. If a store has any at all, it's a small
>> amount and not fresh. Also, a lot of what I'm seeing seems to come from
>> Mexico. The "hands" are much larger and not quite the same shape and the
>> flavor is not as strong.
>>
>> I spotted it at Costco but didn't need any at the time. Went back to buy
>> some later. They had none. It's still listed on their computer but they
>> don't know when they will get it again.
>>
>> Last order to PCC showed a major price increase and they placed a limit on
>> how much I could buy.
>>
>> Is there a shortage for some reason? Or is it just a seasonal item?
>>

>I buy ginger by the pounds, all the time. I have no troubles finding it.
>If there is an Asian or Indian grocer nearby, you should have no issues
>getting a larger quantity, plus, it’s usually FAR cheaper per pound than
>chain grocers. Fresher, too.

But it may have been grown with human manure.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce > wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jun 2018 02:21:51 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> > wrote:
>
>> Julie Bove > wrote:
>>> I've been making tea with fresh ginger. Have been getting it at PCC for some
>>> time. It was the cheapest and freshest source. PCC is a local chain similar
>>> to Whole Foods. Had to get it via delivery because the two stores closest to
>>> me never had much at one time but the one that delivers used to have a lot
>>> of it. But now?
>>>
>>> Have been having trouble finding it. If a store has any at all, it's a small
>>> amount and not fresh. Also, a lot of what I'm seeing seems to come from
>>> Mexico. The "hands" are much larger and not quite the same shape and the
>>> flavor is not as strong.
>>>
>>> I spotted it at Costco but didn't need any at the time. Went back to buy
>>> some later. They had none. It's still listed on their computer but they
>>> don't know when they will get it again.
>>>
>>> Last order to PCC showed a major price increase and they placed a limit on
>>> how much I could buy.
>>>
>>> Is there a shortage for some reason? Or is it just a seasonal item?
>>>

>> I buy ginger by the pounds, all the time. I have no troubles finding it.
>> If there is an Asian or Indian grocer nearby, you should have no issues
>> getting a larger quantity, plus, itÂ’s usually FAR cheaper per pound than
>> chain grocers. Fresher, too.

> But it may have been grown with human manure.

Mmmmm.....organic.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jinx the Minx" > wrote in message
news
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>> I've been making tea with fresh ginger. Have been getting it at PCC for
>> some
>> time. It was the cheapest and freshest source. PCC is a local chain
>> similar
>> to Whole Foods. Had to get it via delivery because the two stores closest
>> me never had much at one time but the one that delivers used to have a
>> lot
>> of it. But now?
>>
>> Have been having trouble finding it. If a store has any at all, it's a
>> small
>> amount and not fresh. Also, a lot of what I'm seeing seems to come from
>> Mexico. The "hands" are much larger and not quite the same shape and the
>> flavor is not as strong.
>>
>> I spotted it at Costco but didn't need any at the time. Went back to buy
>> some later. They had none. It's still listed on their computer but they
>> don't know when they will get it again.
>>
>> Last order to PCC showed a major price increase and they placed a limit
>> on
>> how much I could buy.
>>
>> Is there a shortage for some reason? Or is it just a seasonal item?
>>

> I buy ginger by the pounds, all the time. I have no troubles finding it.
> If there is an Asian or Indian grocer nearby, you should have no issues
> getting a larger quantity, plus, its usually FAR cheaper per pound than
> chain grocers. Fresher, too.

Don't know of any Asian groceries near here but we have a large Asian
population so most of the stores sell a lot of Asian stuff. I tried Central
Market as they have the best selection of Asian stuff here but they were out
of ginger. Did not notice any at the Indian grocery but I may have gone on a
bad day. They were low on produce and I was told that they only restock once
a week. Winco was low on produce too! Have seen ginger there but not
refrigerated. Did not have any yesterday. Were out of some other things that
I wanted or only had a little and it wasn't fresh. Example, there were like
5 zucchini and they looked to have gotten in a knife fight. Yellow squash
were mushy. They did have organic but the price was twice as high.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 10 Jun 2018 16:21:23 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> Have been having trouble finding it.

> It's just one crisis after another.

How is it a crisis?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Jun 2018 12:25:30 +1000, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Mon, 11 Jun 2018 02:21:51 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> wrote:
>
>>Julie Bove > wrote:
>>> I've been making tea with fresh ginger. Have been getting it at PCC for some
>>> time. It was the cheapest and freshest source. PCC is a local chain similar
>>> to Whole Foods. Had to get it via delivery because the two stores closest to
>>> me never had much at one time but the one that delivers used to have a lot
>>> of it. But now?
>>>
>>> Have been having trouble finding it. If a store has any at all, it's a small
>>> amount and not fresh. Also, a lot of what I'm seeing seems to come from
>>> Mexico. The "hands" are much larger and not quite the same shape and the
>>> flavor is not as strong.
>>>
>>> I spotted it at Costco but didn't need any at the time. Went back to buy
>>> some later. They had none. It's still listed on their computer but they
>>> don't know when they will get it again.
>>>
>>> Last order to PCC showed a major price increase and they placed a limit on
>>> how much I could buy.
>>>
>>> Is there a shortage for some reason? Or is it just a seasonal item?
>>>

>>I buy ginger by the pounds, all the time. I have no troubles finding it.
>>If there is an Asian or Indian grocer nearby, you should have no issues
>>getting a larger quantity, plus, it’s usually FAR cheaper per pound than
>>chain grocers. Fresher, too.

>But it may have been grown with human manure.

You can say that about most produce.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Jun 2018 02:42:46 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> wrote:

>Bruce > wrote:
>> On Mon, 11 Jun 2018 02:21:51 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
>> > wrote:

>>> I buy ginger by the pounds, all the time. I have no troubles finding it.
>>> If there is an Asian or Indian grocer nearby, you should have no issues
>>> getting a larger quantity, plus, it?s usually FAR cheaper per pound than
>>> chain grocers. Fresher, too.

>> But it may have been grown with human manure.
>>

>Mmmmm.....organic.

Organic manure, sure, it exists.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Jun 2018 16:21:23 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I've been making tea with fresh ginger. Have been getting it at PCC for some
>time. It was the cheapest and freshest source. PCC is a local chain similar
>to Whole Foods. Had to get it via delivery because the two stores closest to
>me never had much at one time but the one that delivers used to have a lot
>of it. But now?
>
>Have been having trouble finding it. If a store has any at all, it's a small
>amount and not fresh. Also, a lot of what I'm seeing seems to come from
>Mexico. The "hands" are much larger and not quite the same shape and the
>flavor is not as strong.
>
>I spotted it at Costco but didn't need any at the time. Went back to buy
>some later. They had none. It's still listed on their computer but they
>don't know when they will get it again.
>
>Last order to PCC showed a major price increase and they placed a limit on
>how much I could buy.
>
>Is there a shortage for some reason? Or is it just a seasonal item?

They must be sending it all to Ontario. There's always a lot of really
fresh stuff here.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
news
> On Sun, 10 Jun 2018 22:20:41 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> It's just one crisis after another.

>> How is it a crisis?

> You often post when you can't find something once, putting 10X as
> much effort into posting about it and making excuses then you do
> checking another store.
>
> There are probably 10+ stores in a 7 mile radius of your home that
> have ginger in stock. You didn't even physically check any stores.
> You're right, it's not a crisis, so stop making a big deal out of it
> and solve your petty problem.

Oh but I did check the stores.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 11, 2018 at 1:28:17 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove says:

ME! ME! ME! ME! ME! ME!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Jun 2018 11:27:56 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"tert in seattle" > wrote in message
>news
>> writes:
>>>I've been making tea with fresh ginger. Have been getting it at PCC for
>>>some
>>>time. It was the cheapest and freshest source. PCC is a local chain
>>>similar
>>>to Whole Foods. Had to get it via delivery because the two stores closest
>>>me never had much at one time but the one that delivers used to have a lot
>>>of it. But now?
>>>
>>>Have been having trouble finding it. If a store has any at all, it's a
>>>small
>>>amount and not fresh. Also, a lot of what I'm seeing seems to come from
>>>Mexico. The "hands" are much larger and not quite the same shape and the
>>>flavor is not as strong.
>>>
>>>I spotted it at Costco but didn't need any at the time. Went back to buy
>>>some later. They had none. It's still listed on their computer but they
>>>don't know when they will get it again.
>>>
>>>Last order to PCC showed a major price increase and they placed a limit on
>>>how much I could buy.
>>>
>>>Is there a shortage for some reason? Or is it just a seasonal item?

>> there was plenty at my Fred Meyer on Saturday

>I usually go to the one in Shoreline but I haven't been there for a few
>weeks. I have seen ginger there but IIRC, it was expensive and not so good
>looking.

Like all produce fresh ginger is seasonal... when you see it buy a
bunch and freeze it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Mon, 11 Jun 2018 11:27:56 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"tert in seattle" > wrote in message
>>news

>>> there was plenty at my Fred Meyer on Saturday

>>I usually go to the one in Shoreline but I haven't been there for a few
>>weeks. I have seen ginger there but IIRC, it was expensive and not so good
>>looking.

> Like all produce fresh ginger is seasonal... when you see it buy a
> bunch and freeze it.

Then it won't be fresh. I need fresh.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 11, 2018 at 8:17:55 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> > wrote in message
> > On Mon, 11 Jun 2018 11:27:56 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:

> >>I usually go to the one in Shoreline but I haven't been there for a few
> >>weeks. I have seen ginger there but IIRC, it was expensive and not so good
> >>looking.

> > Like all produce fresh ginger is seasonal... when you see it buy a
> > bunch and freeze it.

> Then it won't be fresh. I need fresh.

Why?...Is it an aphrodisiac? If you can't get it then "tough beans"...a
hissy fit will not work...get over it.
=====
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" > wrote in message
> On Monday, June 11, 2018 at 8:17:55 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>> > On Mon, 11 Jun 2018 11:27:56 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>> > Like all produce fresh ginger is seasonal... when you see it buy a
>> > bunch and freeze it.

>> Then it won't be fresh. I need fresh.

> Why?...Is it an aphrodisiac? If you can't get it then "tough beans"...a
> hissy fit will not work...get over it.
> =====

Of course it is! You didn't know this?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/11/18 11:06 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jun 2018 22:20:41 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> It's just one crisis after another.

>> How is it a crisis?

> You often post when you can't find something once, putting 10X as
> much effort into posting about it and making excuses then you do
> checking another store.
>
> There are probably 10+ stores in a 7 mile radius of your home that
> have ginger in stock. You didn't even physically check any stores.
> You're right, it's not a crisis, so stop making a big deal out of it
> and solve your petty problem.
>
> -sw

personally I can't believe her immune system could tolerate ginger