Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Can't grill sausage

Got some major thunderstorms rolling through here so grilling outside is
not an option. I do have a grill pan so I'll cook this hot Italian
sausage on the stovetop.

I've got six sausages, might add a couple of them to some seasoned
tomato sauce to serve over pasta.

I do hope the power doesn't go out.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 12:15:09 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:

> Got some major thunderstorms rolling through here so grilling outside is
> not an option. I do have a grill pan so I'll cook this hot Italian
> sausage on the stovetop.
>
> I've got six sausages, might add a couple of them to some seasoned
> tomato sauce to serve over pasta.
>
> I do hope the power doesn't go out.
>
> Jill

Sounds good to me!

I hope you've got one of those spatter screens to go on top of your
pan. That's the only thing I hate about frying some things; that
grease can pop and land everywhere.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-05-24 2:04 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> I do have a couple of spatter screens but they're not really necessary.
> I slash the Italian sausages crosswise so the fat leaches out into the
> grill pan.Â* Also so they don't curl up when cooking.Â* I don't cook them
> on high heat, cook them low and slow.Â* There's not much spatter.

I don't slash them. I just poke a bunch of holes in them to let the fat out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/24/2018 3:57 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-05-24 2:04 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>

>> I do have a couple of spatter screens but they're not really
>> necessary. I slash the Italian sausages crosswise so the fat leaches
>> out into the grill pan.Â* Also so they don't curl up when cooking.Â* I
>> don't cook them on high heat, cook them low and slow.Â* There's not
>> much spatter.

> I don't slash them. I just poke a bunch of holes in them to let the fat
> out.

Whatever works. I don't get a lot of grease or spatter from these
sausages. Joan was talking about needing a spatter screen. I do own a
couple but I don't use them very often.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> On 5/24/2018 3:57 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2018-05-24 2:04 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>

>>> I do have a couple of spatter screens but they're not really
>>> necessary. I slash the Italian sausages crosswise so the fat leaches
>>> out into the grill pan. Also so they don't curl up when cooking. I
>>> don't cook them on high heat, cook them low and slow. There's not
>>> much spatter.

>> I don't slash them. I just poke a bunch of holes in them to let the
>> fat out.
>>

> Whatever works. I don't get a lot of grease or spatter from these
> sausages. Joan was talking about needing a spatter screen. I do own a
> couple but I don't use them very often.
>
> Jill

Those screens are a neat idea, but they are almost as much trouble to
clean as simply cleaning up the spatters. Sometimes I use them for
frying hamburgers, but never had much problems cooking Italian sausages
without a screen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 May 2018 17:21:24 -0500, Hank Rogers >
wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:

>>> I don't slash them. I just poke a bunch of holes in them to let the
>>> fat out.
>>>

>> Whatever works. I don't get a lot of grease or spatter from these
>> sausages. Joan was talking about needing a spatter screen. I do own a
>> couple but I don't use them very often.
>>
>> Jill

>Those screens are a neat idea, but they are almost as much trouble to
>clean as simply cleaning up the spatters. Sometimes I use them for
>frying hamburgers, but never had much problems cooking Italian sausages
>without a screen.

Shove it in the dishwasher, easy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 6:01:38 PM UTC-5, wrote:

> On Thu, 24 May 2018 17:21:24 -0500, Hank Rogers >
> wrote:
>
> >Those screens are a neat idea, but they are almost as much trouble to
> >clean as simply cleaning up the spatters.
> >

> Shove it in the dishwasher, easy.

The only dishwasher I have are hanging off the ends of my arms.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 6:21:31 PM UTC-4, Hank Rogers wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:

> >> I don't slash them. I just poke a bunch of holes in them to let the
> >> fat out.
> >>

> > Whatever works. I don't get a lot of grease or spatter from these
> > sausages. Joan was talking about needing a spatter screen. I do own a
> > couple but I don't use them very often.
> >
> > Jill

> Those screens are a neat idea, but they are almost as much trouble to
> clean as simply cleaning up the spatters. Sometimes I use them for
> frying hamburgers, but never had much problems cooking Italian sausages
> without a screen.

Dishwasher. It cleans them up a treat.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 8:32:53 PM UTC-4, Hank Rogers wrote:
> wrote:
> > On Thu, 24 May 2018 17:21:24 -0500, Hank Rogers >
> > wrote:

> >> Those screens are a neat idea, but they are almost as much trouble to
> >> clean as simply cleaning up the spatters. Sometimes I use them for
> >> frying hamburgers, but never had much problems cooking Italian sausages
> >> without a screen.
> >>

> > Shove it in the dishwasher, easy.
> >

> Yeah, good idea. But with just two of us, I usually just wash everything
> by hand.

With just the two of us, I run the dishwasher every day. Twice, sometimes,
on the weekend.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2018 10:31 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> I've never seen the logic of people who own good dishwshers who
> choose to hand wash most everythng instead. Dishwashers are more
> economical and more sanitary than hand washing. With the possible
> exceptioin of items made from materials that cannot be put in the
> dishwasher, there's no real excuse for hand washing.

Agree with that. With the two of us, the machine runs roughly every
other day. We have enough dishes and utensils that we can wait for it
to be filled to run it. Everything comes out perfect at the push of a
button. Takes only a few minutes to put them away.

> We evem have a second less expensive dishwsher installed in our
> utility room for washing non-food related items; e.g., trash cans,
> litter boxes, empty flower pots, small garden tools, etc.

Sensible, even a cheap machine does a good job.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 May 2018 03:20:32 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 6:21:31 PM UTC-4, Hank Rogers wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:

>> > Whatever works. I don't get a lot of grease or spatter from these
>> > sausages. Joan was talking about needing a spatter screen. I do own a
>> > couple but I don't use them very often.
>> >
>> > Jill

>> Those screens are a neat idea, but they are almost as much trouble to
>> clean as simply cleaning up the spatters. Sometimes I use them for
>> frying hamburgers, but never had much problems cooking Italian sausages
>> without a screen.

>Dishwasher. It cleans them up a treat.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

I fry saw-seege in a high-sided pot, a braiser, practically no spatter
escapes... available in various size capacities... for smaller cooking
I have a six quart braiser... even a chicken fryer is better to
protect against spatter than the typial skillet. If I'm going to do a
lot of frying I cut a burner-sized hole in a sheet of aluminum foil,
protects the surrounding area.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=sr_1_3&sr=8-3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 May 2018 03:21:25 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 8:32:53 PM UTC-4, Hank Rogers wrote:
>> wrote:

>> > Shove it in the dishwasher, easy.
>> >

>> Yeah, good idea. But with just two of us, I usually just wash everything
>> by hand.

>With just the two of us, I run the dishwasher every day. Twice, sometimes,
>on the weekend.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

I ran our dishwasher a few days ago for the first time in four
months... we don't generate enough items to wash in a week, we wash by
hand, takes five minutes to hand wash two place settings. And I
always wash all cookware by hand. I wash cutting boards and cutlery
by hand too. In fact last night I ordered a new set of cutting boards
from Amazon, supposed to arrive tomorrow, I thought these looked good:
https://www.amazon.com/Original-Reve...70_&dpSrc=srch
I wanted to order the red set but wouldn't allow me, black will be
fine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 May 2018 03:21:25 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

snip

>With just the two of us, I run the dishwasher every day. Twice, sometimes,
>on the weekend.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

me too! I'm not a martyr
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 May 2018 09:06:47 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Fri, 25 May 2018 03:21:25 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:
>
>snip
>>
>>With just the two of us, I run the dishwasher every day. Twice, sometimes,
>>on the weekend.
>>
>>Cindy Hamilton

>me too! I'm not a martyr
>Janet US

How does hand washing two place settings after dinner make one a
martyr? The ONLY reason for using a dishwasher for two place settings
is pure laziness. You probably don't bathe but once a year because
hand washing your body more than weekly makes you a martyr! LOL

Hand washing two place settings wastes no water, we don't fill our
oversized sink, we use a plastic dishpan... doesn't mess our hands
either, we use rubber gloves.
BTW, dishwashers do not sterilze, it's not an autoclave... and even if
you autoclaved your dishes then to keep them sterile they'd each
require individual packaging like band aids... I can assure you that
your kitchen cupboards are not sterile. Your entire house is not even
sanitary. Dishwashers claim to sanitize but ten minite out of the
dishwasher the unsanitary air in your house makes them unsanitary.
You want sanitary, use paper plates, in fact cheap paper plates are
sterile, as sterile as a roll of newprint, which is in fact sterile.
Your ream of printer paper is sterile.
I can understand using a dishwasher daily if one has a large family,
but for two people it's pure laziness.
I'm usually the one who handwashes dishes right after dinner, because
my wife has butter fingers. I don't bother with a drain board, I set
the washed dishes on a clean towel and then dry with a fresh towel and
put those two place settings away... takes me no more than five
minutes.
Dishwashing compounds ruin good dinnerware, also ruins good cookware,
it etches... machine wash good dinnerway, glassware, cookware every
day it won't be a month it'll all look sand blasted. Even a saloon
doesn't machine wash their glassware, they'd need to toss it in the
trash before the week is out, no one is going want to drink their
booze from an etched glass. They have a designated set up for hand
washing, typically right under the bar. Hand washing glassware is one
of the duties of a bartender. Restaurants don't machine wash their
glassware either, it's all hand washed. Of course yoose fast food
addicts don't get glassware.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 12:21:31 PM UTC-10, Hank Rogers wrote:

> Those screens are a neat idea, but they are almost as much trouble to
> clean as simply cleaning up the spatters. Sometimes I use them for
> frying hamburgers, but never had much problems cooking Italian sausages
> without a screen.

Our family had a splatter screen when I was growing up. I didn't like them but used them back in the day. These days I cook at high temperatures so there's a lot of splatter. I wish there was some way to controlling the grease getting kicked around but I won't use 'em. Using a wok probably helps a little.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...pF43vQi2jUCzU8

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 25, 2018 at 9:05:58 AM UTC-6, Sheldon wrote:
> On Fri, 25 May 2018 03:21:25 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> >> Yeah, good idea. But with just two of us, I usually just wash everything
> >> by hand.

> >With just the two of us, I run the dishwasher every day. Twice, sometimes,
> >on the weekend.
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton

> I ran our dishwasher a few days ago for the first time in four
> months... we don't generate enough items to wash in a week, we wash by
> hand, takes five minutes to hand wash two place settings. And I
> always wash all cookware by hand. I wash cutting boards and cutlery
> by hand too. In fact last night I ordered a new set of cutting boards
> from Amazon, supposed to arrive tomorrow, I thought these looked good:

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Reve...70_&dpSrc=srch
> I wanted to order the red set but wouldn't allow me, black will be
> fine.

Lucky you...$23.99 a set in CANADA of course as we get ripped off ROYALLY up
here in the "GREAT WHITE NORTH".

=====

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lil' Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Fri 25 May 2018 02:30:36p, U.S. Janet B. told us...
>
> > On Fri, 25 May 2018 20:47:51 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> > > wrote:
> >
> >>On Fri 25 May 2018 12:28:46p, U.S. Janet B. told us...

> >>I sometimes have dishes loaded into the dishwasher that may not be
> >>washed until the next day, but in that case I run a rinse only
> >>chcle first before running through a regular cycle. Our sanitize
> >>cycle heats the water to 180° F. I never worry about mold or
> >>mildew. If we happen to be gone for a day or two, I leave the
> >>door open to let the stainless steel interior completely dry out.
> >>The sump holds enough water to insure that gaskets and seals
> >>remain lubicated.

> > C'mon, Wayne. Sheldon said 4 months., not overnight. Allow me to
> > poke him.
> > Janet US
> >

> Go for it, Janet and poke hard! :-)
>
> Personally I'd rather see him stuffed into a large capacity high end
> dishwasher and run it on successive sanitize cycles for days on end
> or, optionally, into a large capacity high end front loading washing
> machine run endlessly on the steam/sanitize cycle.

Lil' Wayne, you and your kiddie diddler partner should be WALLED UP a la "The Cask of Amontillado" and a bunch of flaming NAPALM poured upon you...that would "settle yer hash", once and for all...

Your choleric hatred of those here who call you out on your perverted ways only PROVES that you are guilty of the most heinous moral crimes - W-O-R-D .... !!!

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> Since I'm disabled, it's a real chore for me to load and unload the
> dishwasher. Hand washing is much easier.

As I live alone, I just hand wash twice a day. My dishwasher
stores pots and lids. I'll empty it about once a month, put in a
little dish soap and run it on short cycle just to keep it in
working order. I have a wooden dish rack beside the sink for hand
washed items. I hand wash and rinse but let them air dry. Put
things away right before I hand wash again.

The wooden dish rack stays on counter permanently. I have a
functional kitchen, not a show kitchen. Wooden dish rack is not
an eye sore to me.